Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

1676869707173»

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,866
    edited August 30
    UI team is doing some great work for the interfacing of many things. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2aIff9Gg1Q

I like UI bits it's such a core piece of any game people tend to ignore, a bad UI is always a wonky experience.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 9,701
    The August 2019 Reports:

Star Citizen:

(and to give some points for discussion for our "greatest SC fans" ;-D  - what do you think about the Banu cuisine that the Narrative team is (also) working on  ;-) ? )

Squadron 42:

(with my new favorite SC quote : "An’ I’m only doing good when I’m havin’ fun."  ;-) )

Have fun  (which i have ;-) )

edited September 13

That's the peak at the upcoming modular station's interiors, top being food court area, aka space malls. on monthly report currently set for 3.8
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    MaxBacon said:

That's the peak at the upcoming modular station's interiors, top being food court area, aka space malls. on monthly report currently set for 3.8
    No holografic trees like in the space malls in SWTOR ;-)

Have fun
    MaxBacon
    edited September 16
    Summary of the ships & ship features long vid that was posted

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d4mjqu/a_summary_of_star_citizen_live_all_things_flyable/

Q01) How do they plan to balance fuel usage and range for capital ships, like the 890 Jump, that are designed for long-distance touring? [01:32]

Q02) Will the upcoming Ship-to-Ship Docking feature include the Constellation snub docking, or the Caterpillar's command section detachment? [03:44]

Q03) Are there any plans to allow pilots to get up from their seats without deactivating engines or propulsion? [05:15]

Q04) Will the 890 Jump receive the two additional dedicated Point Defence Turrets? [06:12]

Q05) With the new Proximity Assist feature coming online, how does it differ/improve upon Hover Mode? Does it replace Hover Mode or is it meant to compliment it? [08:00]

Q06) Will the 890 Jump's existing weapons be sized-up one level to be on-par with smaller ships like the Constellation, the 600i, and the Corsair? [12:35]

Q07) Ships like the Buccaneer and the 325 are supposed to be "Interdictors" but don't have any EMP stock, distortion weapons, or speed advantages over light fighters. What attributes separate an Interdictor from a light fighter or any other role? [14:30]

Q08) What will be the advantage of rotating thrusters on smaller ships like the Reliant, the Cutlass, and the Terrapin, if all ships seem to be capable of hovering in-place? [16:06]

Q09) Why do you hate Drake ships? [16:29]

Q10) Are there any updates on the Banu Defender/Banu Merchantman "interplay"? [18:59]

Q11) How do you envision the AR cockpit on the Vanguard Sentinel working and affecting the Sentinel in-combat? How will it work compared to the Battle Bridge on the 890 Jump? [19:32]

Q12) When can we have physical ship components? [23:46]

Q13) Why do boxes fall through the floors inside ships? What is being done to prevent/fix this? [25:54]

Q14) When will cargo pods on certain ships be usable for missions? For example, the Hornet cargo pod being usable for retrieving the black box after completing an NPC mission, or the "saddlebags" on the Prospector. [28:20]

Q15) Is the ability to change the Vanguard's nose mount coming in 3.7? [30:22]

Q16) With the release of the 890 Jump, and the existing 600i and Constellation Phoenix, are there any plans to add VIP passenger transport missions or mechanics to make use of the upscale adornments and amenities of these ships? [31:15]

Q17) Auto-gimbals are intended to help new Players, but many starter ships can't use them effectively due to the weapon gimbal sizing mechanic. Are there any changes planned for auto-gimbals or for this mechanic? [32:31]

Q18) Why would two Players choose to fly in a Hurricane, instead of taking two ships which would give them more firepower, unpredictability, greater manoeuvrability, and the ability to surround a target? [34:34]

Q19) What are their current plans and/or ideas about being able to further customise ships with loadouts, colours, decals, and so on? [36:42]

Q20) Will the way we Quantum Travel in-and-out of atmosphere change in any way? Are they happy with how it is now? [38:20]

Q21) Are you happy with the current Flight Model? [40:41]

Q22) Will there be retractable turrets for the Vanguards in 3.7? [46:55]

Q23) Are they happy with the Retaliator? [49:11

Q24) Are they happy with ESP? (Enhanced Stick Precision - thanks Star Citizen Tools) Are there any plans to change it in the future? [52:38]

Q25) As the Vanduul ships are needed for Squadron 42, are we likely to see any bug fixes and/or updates to the Scythe, the Glaive, or the Blade in the near future? [55:21]

Q26) Are there going to be any changes to the 600i after the release of the 890 Jump? [57:10]

Q27) Are there any plans to fix the flying behaviour of ships like the Razor series, the P52, and the P72, which cannot currently turn at speeds above 100m/s? [58:10]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,912
    Much good, very WOW.

>:) 
    Hatefull

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 20
    Last dev update showcases the new 3.7 gameplay features of FPS Mining.

Besides that Multi tool attachments. glow sticks. new torchlight. loot inside caves besides mining. FPS asteroid mining & Harvestable plants.

One small yet a big feature of 3.7 is mission sharing, this will give a proper gameplay loop to partying up together and undertaking missions.
    Kyleran
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,256
    Haven't verified it myself but I saw it claimed that you would need to mine and sell 500 individual pieces of rock to earn the same as a single combat mission and 200,000 of them to buy a spaceship.

I guess the question is; why even bother?
    Babuinix
    Haven't verified it myself but I saw it claimed that you would need to mine and sell 500 individual pieces of rock to earn the same as a single combat mission and 200,000 of them to buy a spaceship.

I guess the question is ... does rpmcmurphy understand what mission balancing is during an Alpha test phase? That no rewards are final at this time?

At the moment all prices and rewards can still be adjusted so earnings per hour can be comparable between mining and combat. From experience i expect mining to yield a bit less than combat.

And if you ask the question of "Why even bother?" e.g. in EVE Online, you will find out that there are people that enjoy mining, even if it gives significantly lower rewards than combat. Kinda like a Zen like experience. 

Have fun

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,177
    Erillion said:

I guess the question is ... does rpmcmurphy understand what mission balancing is during an Alpha test phase? That no rewards are final at this time?

At the moment all prices and rewards can still be adjusted so earnings per hour can be comparable between mining and combat. From experience i expect mining to yield a bit less than combat.

And if you ask the question of "Why even bother?" e.g. in EVE Online, you will find out that there are people that enjoy mining, even if it gives significantly lower rewards than combat. Kinda like a Zen like experience. 

Have fun

I have to agree with you here. At this point, asking "why bother" is asinine. It's in Alpha...people on this site keep commenting as if an Alpha is the end of the development cycle, it's not, not even close. Things are going to change...they have not even begun hard balance passes, and there is so much left to do. Anyway.

Mining was my favorite activity in Eve...by a long shot. As a matter of fact, I would like to play SC for the mining and salvage gameplay. That is it. Galactic Janitor if you will.

ErillionBabuinixKyleran

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,433
    edited September 20

Balance can be changed... but to actually answer your question: Because someone enjoy that gameplay loop more than combat missions.

Just like @Hatefull , I was a miner in EvE and I loved it. But if you ask someone, they will laugh to the concept of staring rocks all day long.

But again, I love it. So, as much a balance should be achieved... You would be playing something because you enjoy playing it, not because it's a chore with better rewards.

I know, right? Playing something solely because you enjoy it. Crazy concept in modern gaming.
    Octagon7711ErillionBabuinixgervaise1Kyleran
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member RarePosts: 2,608
    Gotta go with the flyboys here.  People like all sorts of different things in their games; good idea to support as many as you can.  And space mining is a bit iconic.

Just cross your fingers that it's not an eleventh hour retrofit mechanic.
    gervaise1

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited October 4
    Warm up those Tachyon Cannons !

"[3.7 PTU Feedback] Banu Defender

Greetings,

The Banu Defender is ready to test! The Defender is a fighter first and foremost, so be sure to test it in combat scenarios and let us know how it performs in terms of handling, durability, and firepower. We have also limited the Tachyon cannons to be a Defender specialty weapon that only it can use, though it can also use other human weapons as well. Some slight balance adjustments were made to the Tachyon cannons to reflect this.

Let us know below how the entire package is working!

-Baior
    Lead Player Experience Analyst"

*** cue Top Gun "Danger Zone" music ***

Have fun

Kyleran
    edited October 4
    ... edit - link was already posted 
    Juicy bits from the monthly report:

The report put in context indicates work on weather and the new version of the procedural technology to be finished this month. The citcon showcase is likely to show this off, weather technology implemented on planets.

On datamined information from the client it has shown mission ids that point for the first showcase of jump points, and the Carrak. For citizencon maybe Microtech won't be the showcase as the "unannounced location" is mentioned, this backs up it's related to jump-points and the first travel to another solar system.

Also for likely citcon the mention of "three important" features that are not yet announced, if rumors confirm one of them is deff jumpoints.

Besides that, server-side OCS being tested by QA that shows already tangible stuff there what backs up their intent to partially implement server-sided OCS to prevent cut of content from the game/delays due to server performance problems.

The new mission types being prototyped are also interesting.
    On more leaks this pretty much telling the next solar system will be Pyro, 

Those pieces of data are descriptions that appear on the game starmap, they have been on the website starmap for long but only on past weeks started were added to the game files.

This also cumulates with the previously datamined bits that imply a mission with a jumppoint jump will be showcased at citizencon

KyleranErillion
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,912
    edited October 10
    Thanks for keeping us updated Max, Lord knows I wouldn't have the time to "root" all of this info out.

See what I did there, clever eh?

:) 
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    MaxBacongervaise1

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 2,300
    The Loremasters did a great piece on Pyro System a while back:

Erillion
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 2,300
    3.7 New Update is finally released into the Live Servers:

What’s new

Star Citizen Alpha 37

Above: Star Citizen Alpha 3.7

• Caves: Adding another level of exploration to planets and moons, the addition of caves includes tech that will power the creation of future modular locations, VFX and lighting. “What was interesting about the caves is they’ve been coming for a little while now,” Tracy said. “And it’s a good example of what we’re calling staggered development. Essentially, there’s some things that take three months to do and some that take six months. These caves have a huge amount of area to explore.”
    • FPS mining: Players can buy the all-new Greycat Industrial Pyro multi-tool equipped with a mining attachment, which can find small deposits of minerals in caves, on the surface of planets, and in asteroid fields. Once activated, they can fracture and collect highly valuable mineral shards to sell for profit.
    • Harvestables: Various locations across the Star Citizen universe now contain items that can be harvested, picked up, and used, consumed, or sold as commodities.
    • Commodity inventory: This personal inventory system allows players to store various commodities, including items bought from kiosks or stores and harvestables discovered in the environment.
    • Player Interdiction: Using the new RSI Mantis, outfitted with a Quantum Enforcement device, players can pull both NPC and player-piloted ships abruptly out of quantum travel. Once caught by the Quantum Snare, a dampener prevents the target from fleeing.
    • Mission Sharing: This enables players to share missions with members of their party, allowing teams to see, track, and complete objectives together while sharing the rewards.
    • Ship Rentals: Allows players to rent ships from selected shops via in-game currency, increasing player choice and ship accessibility.

New vehicles and weapons

Star Citizen Alpha 37

Above: Star Citizen Alpha 3.7’s RSI Mantis

• Banu Defender: The first flyable ship from the Banu alien race, the Defender uses combined technology from species across the galaxy, including a number of alien components new to Star Citizen.
    • RSI Mantis: Set to debut on the October 10 birthday of the Star Citizen crowdfunding campaign, the Mantis is the game’s first interdiction ship. Interdiction means the Mantis can pull nonplayer character and player-piloted ships out of quantum travel, while creating a distortion field that prevents them from fleeing. The Mantis is lightly armed and should be used by players traveling in groups, since they can’t always predict what it will “catch” in its quantum “net.”
    • Aegis Vanguard Harbinger: The UEE’s long-range fighter/bomber, the Harbinger model converts the Warden’s escape pod into a bomb bay. The Vanguard features extended range and a relatively small profile, enabling it to strike where carrier-based ships or larger strategic bombers cannot.
    • Aegis Vanguard Sentinel: The Aegis Vanguard Sentinel is an electronic warfare ship designed to “fight smart” rather than taking enemies head-on.
    • Hedeby Salvo Frag Pistol: Slow-firing and heavy-hitting, this pistol can fire charged shots with a flat, shotgun-style blast.
    • Kroneg FL-33 Laser Cannon: These high-damage, long-range energy weapons are for the ship pilot looking for versatile weapons at medium and longer ranges.

Quality of life fixes and more updates

Star Citizen Alpha 37

Above: The “new” face of Star Citizen.

Image Credit: Cloud Imperium Games
    • Arena commander improvements: The Arena Commander experience gets an overhaul, with particular focus on rebalancing the Pirate Swarm mode to make it more challenging, with several new boss-fights, and new rewards players accumulate over time.
    • Character customizer v2: This features iterations on the facial blending system and significant updates to the user interface.
    • Human AI combat v2: This includes improvements to the AI’s initial reactions to various stimuli (such as seeing an enemy, hearing a sound, etc.), with systemic transitions into those behaviors from normally scheduled activities. Also, AI combat behavior has been refactored to include multiple tactics that can be evaluated and selected according to the situation.
    • AI dogfight combat v2: This is a new AI profile for “average ship pilots,” including behavior and skill differentiation by faction (pirates, law enforcement, etc.), to create a more diverse and varied combat experience for players in PVE gameplay.
    • Flight improvements: The all new “proximity assist” feature automatically detects when players fly close to obstacles and will slow the ship’s accelerations down and allow for softer, more fine control and landings. This feature is “intelligent” and based on player-context, automatically activating when needed to ensure players are still able to fly at high speed while low to the ground.
    • Weapon attachments v2: Personal weapons are getting more customization, including new attachments to guns such as suppressors, compensators, and under-barrel gadgets. This feature will allow for customization of the player’s FPS arsenal in real time.

Erillion