Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited November 2017
    Would be so funny if in 2022 it was at 500 million bucks and 12 years in the making and still a flop :)
    Babuinix
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited November 2017
    Would be so funny if in 2022 it was at 500 million bucks and 12 years in the making and still a flop :)
    In what way would it be a flop?

edit: in fact don't bother replying, having thought about it I don't think there is any way that it could. Instead I will just take it for the light hearted joke I guess it was meant to be. Ha!
    rpmcmurphy
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    They MIGHT sucker people for another 5 years but I surely dont see them matching what they have made so far. Theyre at 165 no if they can somehow go 5 more years they MIGHT get another 100 million. 75 would be more realistic. But youre still talking 10-11 years and 240-260 million.
    Orinori said:

edit: in fact don't bother replying, having thought about it I don't think there is any way that it could. Instead I will just take it for the light hearted joke I guess it was meant to be. Ha!
    It could be a flop just like FFXIV v1.0 was a flop. Remember they also had a bunch of hardcore fans that liked the game but the wider market thought it was a pile of crap.

Orinori said:

It could be a flop just like FFXIV v1.0 was a flop. Remember they also had a bunch of hardcore fans that liked the game but the wider market thought it was a pile of crap.

But the game is open for all to see and play and as time moves forward there will be more to see and play, for that much more money to be raised I don't see how it could be called a flop in any regards, it would have had a large following who obviously enjoyed it up to that point and it wouldn't have been a financial flop.

However saying that, I don't expect the wider casual WoW type audience to be that thrilled by the game, it is a sandbox sci fi game with open full loot pvp. I only expect a majority from those that are following it who are interested in it and backing it to think it is decent and like I said, they a free to see everything all along, nothing is going to be much of a shock, if it isn't liked it won't raise that 500 million...... 
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    The game's guaranteed to be niche at best by nature of being an open PvP game (so $500 million and all that time for a niche game), though practically all (but not all, such as Orinari's post above) Star Citizen fans don't think it will be.  At least, last time I brought it up I got a ton of them saying it was going to be the next biggest thing regardless of that.

I still don't think a lot of the backers originally realized exactly what they were buying into since a lot of the initial hype and excitement from most fans didn't really mention the open PvP at all and centered around Star Citizen's other features.  Open PvP is one of those things which might seem golden and "immersive" on paper (which is why all the original MMOs had it) but quickly fell apart once it actually reached fruition and existence.

These days though I'd like to think most of the backers who weren't dedicated enough to notice the ramifications of open PvP probably stopped paying major attention to the game by now anyways so the few remaining dedicated SC die-hards at least are probably aware of what type of game they will be playing even if many of them vastly overestimate how much widespread appeal it'll have (well, the general ballpark of what it'll be at least hopefully because SC is still undecided on a lot of its specifics.  Or at least, that's what Max said to me last time I brought the PvP aspect up)
    Arglebargle
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:

But the game is open for all to see and play and as time moves forward there will be more to see and play, for that much more money to be raised I don't see how it could be called a flop in any regards, it would have had a large following who obviously enjoyed it up to that point and it wouldn't have been a financial flop.

However saying that, I don't expect the wider casual WoW type audience to be that thrilled by the game, it is a sandbox sci fi game with open full loot pvp. I only expect a majority from those that are following it who are interested in it and backing it to think it is decent and like I said, they a free to see everything all along, nothing is going to be much of a shock, if it isn't liked it won't raise that 500 million...... 

Just to be clear, I am not saying it will be a flop, no matter how anyone wants to look at it. It could be reviewed and judged by the wider market as being too convoluted to play and too much emphasis on things like survival mechanics ie food, drink, pooping, showers and all of that stuff or having a crew that you have to fly with to get anything done etc.

There's so much that is still up in the air and people are backing largely on what they think it is going to be. A lot of the people that wanted the PvP slider might not want full loot PvP etc
    Tiamat64 said:

but quickly fell apart once it reached the masses of new generation casual console carebears.
    I have carefully eddited your post to reflect my version of reality, hope you don't mind!
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:

but quickly fell apart once it reached the masses of new generation casual console carebears.
    I have carefully eddited your post to reflect my version of reality, hope you don't mind!
    Given that it's been happening since the days of Ultima Online almost two decades ago (with the UO developers themselves repeatedly saying that the PvP went way out of hand more than they intended), I think you really should remove the "New generation" from your statement.  Two decades is an entire generation on its own.
    Arglebargle
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:

Just to be clear, I am not saying it will be a flop, no matter how anyone wants to look at it. It could be reviewed and judged by the wider market as being too convoluted to play and too much emphasis on things like survival mechanics ie food, drink, pooping, showers and all of that stuff or having a crew that you have to fly with to get anything done etc.

There's so much that is still up in the air and people are backing largely on what they think it is going to be. A lot of the people that wanted the PvP slider might not want full loot PvP etc
    When they claim it will have 'everything', CIG is holding up 'the mirror of heart's desire' to their fanbase.  As long as the game is not too concrete, every fan can imagine it being whatever they want.   

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:

When they claim it will have 'everything', CIG is holding up 'the mirror of heart's desire' to their fanbase.  As long as the game is not too concrete, every fan can imagine it being whatever they want.   

Which also means CIG will drag its feet as much as possible to release the game. As long as they can keep the fans thinking its everything they ever wanted they will keep throwing money at it no questions asked.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The next concept ship is up the Hammerhead. A fast, light warship capable of providing anti-fighter support for larger capital ships or acting as a flagship for smaller security fleets, the Hammerhead stands as the vanguard in defense of the Empire. 

OrinoriBabuinix

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

well they updated the funding chart 11-24 was the 60K I said before, 11-25 they give credit of 770,167 so two day total of 830,249. more than a million  less than they raised the first two days of the anniversary sale last year.
  • OdeezeeOdeezee Member UncommonPosts: 69
    what a very, very sad person you are. smh.

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"
    For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    rodarin said:
    well they updated the funding chart 11-24 was the 60K I said before, 11-25 they give credit of 770,167 so two day total of 830,249. more than a million  less than they raised the first two days of the anniversary sale last year.
    How's that financial maths exercise going?  You think CIG will survive this winter?
    rodarin
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The latest ATV special is up titled Alien Ships and Ground Vehicles.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The best improvement visually is the updated lightning:

Achieving a really good atmosphere, even under some graphical issues, especially with LODs in the PTU.
  • MtomMtom Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited November 2017
    MaxBacon said:

Achieving a really good atmosphere, even under some graphical issues, especially with LODs in the PTU.

Like these? :) Had a sandstorm on Daymar the other night :)

BabuinixOrinoriMaxBaconOctagon7711Erillion
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:
    How's that financial maths exercise going?  You think CIG will survive this winter?
    well they made 1.6 million today so maybe, theyre up to around 2.4 million the first 3 days so theyre ahead of last year. But it looks like they have also put every jpeg they have ever drawn on sale.

the dream lives on I guess
    Mtom said:
    MaxBacon said:

Like these? :) Had a sandstorm on Daymar the other night :)

That's great great O_o, I haven't seen weather in Daymar yet 
    Babuinix
    https://clips.twitch.tv/PhilanthropicCooperativePangolinPogChamp 

That's the lights of a Rover or maybe even a ship or player or so on the planet surface being seen from the Orbit.

While impressive it's also still that question of network culling because it's a huge distance to be updating light effects of players.
    edited November 2017
    rodarin said:
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:
    well they made 1.6 million today so maybe, theyre up to around 2.4 million the first 3 days so theyre ahead of last year. But it looks like they have also put every jpeg they have ever drawn on sale.

ah come on now you said they only raised 60k on the first day, so really they raised 2.4 million in only 2 days! wow!

so.......you have me a little confused now. Does this mean by your logic that you were explaining before that 3.0 is a huge roaring success loved by so many? or is it this new theory "But it looks like they have also put every jpeg they have ever drawn on sale" that the sales figures are based on what they are selling?
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited November 2017
    rodarin said:
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:

That's reassuring to know. Hopefully they find a way to bring us more jpeg's, png's, psd's or even tiff's...

Fortunately we still have 5 more days of sales, hopefully CIG will manage a couple of millions more ...

Pledge wisely and abundantly commandos! Make those wallets cry ! :D
    Babuinix said:

Pledge wisely and abundantly commandos! Make those wallets cry ! :D
    I am saving all mine for the day CR announces that new people have stopped pledging like those people keep predicting and the game can't be finished. On this day he shall ask all pledgers to double their efforts for one final push and it will come to pass that 150 million shall be raised in a single day breaking all crowdfunding records for a thousand years. so sayeth the Roberts.
    Babuinix

The railgun, FPS weapon capable to take down ships, gg.
    BabuinixErillion