Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please explain the hype

Comments

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,151
    Tokken said:
    Pretty pretty pretty, eye candy = Hype.

Shallow game that looks really really good.  Nothing else to play!
    fun,fun,fun,eye candy = Hype
    Non Shallow game that looks really really good. Other things to play but still play it! 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I believe hype is a big part of it, new IP tends to draw a lot of attention but what we here from beta and see from videos does a lot fo good for this game at least, I got to play in one of the betas and I am quite pleased with what I experienced, there is a lot of depth and thing that can easily become a time sink like having to cook and eat food to get exp in order to level up your health stat, the act of walking and running has its own xp bar. The classes are nothing new just represented slightly differently, using an action rpg approach and a combo system unique to each class. The only downside I saw was the fact you had to either talk to certain npc before other missions would open up or had to have gathered information before you could have a "conversation" which was a weird little minigame where you had to talk about certain things in a certain order to gain favor and enough favor would unlock rewards or even new quest.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    I actually think there is less hype for this title.  too many people burned by the last few imports.  no one gives a f*** anymore.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Tokken said:

Shallow brains make for shallow games.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Although I'm not gonna play it now (waiting for Blader) what causes the hype for me is the world.

You don't see a truely open world game often nowadays.
    No fast travel, no instanced dungeons, boats, horse taming.

statements like this really frustrate me because no matter how many times I point out there are games/mmos with these options and I have not played one that isnt like that in 7 years my comments get ignored and overlooked.

more over i completely disagree that any game with classes and explict levels can be considered 'true' open world.

It's about what you consider a "true" open world.

yes I know. and in my book where the vast majority of the games I play would never in anyones right mind be called a 'open world' I declare that for me Levels and Classes are old and dead and not part of a 'true' open world ecosystem. peroid. Others may disagree with me and that is fine but given I have played games like Wurm and Darkfall and Xyson over the past of 7 years I might no what I am talking about.,,,just sayin.

what people who often play class based systems are not aware of is that now people for people play games without classes its so common place we dont even have a name for it like you are suggesting
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

not following you

unless you are saying the 3rd tier problem community has with indies in that they think they are all without exception a buggy, POC mess.

Wurm online using as an example is a solid game, nearly zero bugs and has captures the attention of some people for decades and it has many features people say do not exist in the gaming market.
    Is the game for everyone? no but it does contains features that exist (rather that not exist) is a solid fairly well polish MMO made by about 3 people.

A team of 30 could put a AAA polish on any of these features and the we would no longer have statements like 'games dont have breading' ever again.
    The difference is the vast majority of people who played Wurm Online found it incredibly boring.

1. how do you ever REMOTElY know that?
     2. Here is yet another challenge indies have. A game like wurm can answer pretty much every single debate on 'what needs to be in a game' all in pretty much ONE game but because this ONE game and I stress ONE game, has slow body movement or is a graphics that is not AAA or any other number of things not at all related to the features in question they then just discard the game for memory and then create a thread asking why games dont have breading and forget completely about the game that DOES have breading because the UI isnt to their liking.... SERIOUSLY? I can not even make this up!
    3. what I SHOULD do is use the same logic you are.
    even though people want breading in a game they really dont because wurm is boring
    4. Or 'because it takes 300 hours to mine a tunnel in wurm is the reason no tunnel system of any kind can work in any game. WHAT? you act as if you dont know the speed and skill progression can be changed in like 10 seconds

TO BE CLEAR: 
    I have said this a few times but not sure on this thread and on this topic.
    I am NOT suggesting people play Wurm. I am suggesting that Wurm contains the base answer to a lot of questions people have about 'can feature X happen'. what I AM suggesting is that a AAA team take the concepts of wurm and make it better.
    changing the minning speed from 300 hours to 3 hours is called...polish

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,151
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

not following you

unless you are saying the 3rd tier problem community has with indies in that they think they are all without exception a buggy, POC mess.

Wurm online using as an example is a solid game, nearly zero bugs and has captures the attention of some people for decades and it has many features people say do not exist in the gaming market.
    Is the game for everyone? no but it does contains features that exist (rather that not exist) is a solid fairly well polish MMO made by about 3 people.

A team of 30 could put a AAA polish on any of these features and the we would no longer have statements like 'games dont have breading' ever again.
    The difference is the vast majority of people who played Wurm Online found it incredibly boring.

2. Here is yet another challenge indies have. A game like wurm can answer pretty much every single debate on 'what needs to be in a game' all in pretty much ONE game but because this ONE game and I stress ONE game, has slow body movement or is a graphics that is not AAA or any other number of things not at all related to the features in question they then just discard the game for memory and then create a thread asking why games dont have breading and forget completely about the game that DOES have breading because the UI isnt to their liking.... SERIOUSLY? I can not even make this up!
    even though people want breading in a game they really dont because wurm is boring
    4. Or 'because it takes 300 hours to mine a tunnel in wurm is the reason no tunnel system of any kind can work in any game. WHAT? you act as if you dont know the speed and skill progression can be changed in like 10 seconds

TO BE CLEAR: 
    I am NOT suggesting people play Wurm. I am suggesting that Wurm contains the base answer to a lot of questions people have about 'can feature X happen'. what I AM suggesting is that a AAA team take the concepts of wurm and make it better.
    How do I know that? Because unlike you with BDO I have actually played Wurm Online and Fallen Earth. Which you bring up on almost every.single.post. You just rehash the same garbage over and over again expecting people who like this game to somehow 'see the light' and understand that you have already found a game that includes a better idea of what a virtual world is. Yeah we know we have read it over and over again with you. Just like all your VR posts. We.get.it. Get over it.

If people like this game then let them like it. Stop trying to shove your ideas down their throats. No one cares about Wurm. That is how I know. No one plays that boring game because it is not fun. If it was the population would be higher. 
    Even if a AAA developer and publisher put a game like that out you would still not play it. Because you said you do not nor will not play AAA games. Which is itself a pretty silly thing to say. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

TO BE CLEAR: 
    How do I know that? Because unlike you with BDO I have actually played Wurm Online and Fallen Earth. 
    hold on their cowboy.

Because you have played the game is the reason why you know that the vast majority of people who have played it dont like it?

what kind of logic is that?

I will say this again.

Because mining a tunnel for 300 hours is too long doesnt mean the idea of mining a tunnel cant be done or evern needs to be discussed. all the developer needs to do is spend about 10 seconds making the progess shorter.

when I talk about features of a game I have the hardest time keeping these ADD kids focused on the features and not the over all game. I swear to good they would say 'that feature about ship building is no good because i dont like that game' WHAT????????????????????????

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,603
    BD will have its crowd, they did enough to capture the hearts of some. Its up to BD devs to make sure they stay. Cash shop makes me think they dont get the NA market but thats still fixable. level 45+ forcing people to PvP says what group of gamers they are going after and that will make the niche. Not that, that is a bad thing.

But because they dont get their NA market (overcharging for trinkets in the cash shop) I think they will drive off a good number of their gamers. Sandbox PvEers will skip out at level 45. Leaving them with a (IMO) small bucket of gamers here in NA. 

Then you look at the MMOs coming out. Crowfall, CU that are hitting for the same group of gamers. I think the butter is getting spread over to much bread. 

Nanfoodle said:

But because they dont get their NA market (overcharging for trinkets in the cash shop) I think they will drive off a good number of their gamers.
    I think that right there is false. The size of the Asian gaming market can not ever be overestimated, its gynmaticly huge (i just made up that word).

SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

But because they dont get their NA market (overcharging for trinkets in the cash shop) I think they will drive off a good number of their gamers.
    I think that right there is false. The size of the Asian gaming market can not ever be overestimated, its gynmaticly huge (i just made up that word).
    I was talking about the NA (North American) market. Not the game globally. 

Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I was talking about the NA (North American) market. Not the game globally. 
    gotcha I see that now.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Tokken said:

You have NEVER played it...or you would not have made such a REDICULOUS statement....SHALLOW ITS NOT!
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,307
    Nanfoodle said:
    BD will have its crowd, they did enough to capture the hearts of some. Its up to BD devs to make sure they stay. Cash shop makes me think they dont get the NA market but thats still fixable. level 45+ forcing people to PvP says what group of gamers they are going after and that will make the niche. Not that, that is a bad thing.

But because they dont get their NA market (overcharging for trinkets in the cash shop) I think they will drive off a good number of their gamers. Sandbox PvEers will skip out at level 45. Leaving them with a (IMO) small bucket of gamers here in NA. 

Then you look at the MMOs coming out. Crowfall, CU that are hitting for the same group of gamers. I think the butter is getting spread over to much bread. 
    well we never even got to discuss forced GvG dang
    ArChWind said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I did mention forced PvP level 45+ but GvG would fall under that as well. This is way I liked the DAoC model better. People who wanted to RvR could. People who wanted to PvE only could. Myself I love PvP so you are not really forcing me. My wife though, she hates PvP. So again we play as a family so this game is a pass for one more reason. Funny she was flipping out about the char creator as well and housing. Few different development paths and this could have been a MMO was played for a while. Still waiting to see what direction they take on this game. I think there will be some big changes in the next 3-6 months. 

Nanfoodle said:
    ArChWind said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I did mention forced PvP level 45+ but GvG would fall under that as well. This is way I liked the DAoC model better. People who wanted to RvR could. People who wanted to PvE only could. Myself I love PvP so you are not really forcing me. My wife though, she hates PvP. So again we play as a family so this game is a pass for one more reason. Funny she was flipping out about the char creator as well and housing. Few different development paths and this could have been a MMO was played for a while. Still waiting to see what direction they take on this game. I think there will be some big changes in the next 3-6 months. 
    So am I and I only have to patch. If it tanks I'm out 50 if it gets some fixes to the mechanics. It may turn out good.
  • cort1cort1 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    @nanfoodle we have a bingo 
  • NokksonwoodNokksonwood Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Gorwe said:
    I really can't understand it. Everything that it has, with an exception of perhaps graphics, has been done better elsewhere.

Is it the whole package? Is it the herd mentality? What is it?

TRANSLATION- I do not play the game + I do not like it, but I will continue to talk about it.

Also, pointing to the slightly trollish comment of *herd mentality*.

Gorwe said:
    I really can't understand it. Everything that it has, with an exception of perhaps graphics, has been done better elsewhere.

Is it the whole package? Is it the herd mentality? What is it?

TRANSLATION- I do not play the game + I do not like it, but I will continue to talk about it.

Also, pointing to the slightly trollish comment of *herd mentality*.

I dont think its that is more like our reaction to statements like

'oh my god it has breading that has never been done before!'

statements similar to that makes our screen crawl

• 209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
    A huge new AAA mmorpg and people are complaining about it, without ever trying it?  LOL.

This game is like EVE Online but in a fantasy setting.  It's not about going through a quest chain to "end game", it's about being a part of a huge world, with lots of different ways to make your impact on that world.  That could mean being a high level crafter, a trader, organize a guild and battle for castles and regions to control trade.  It could mean organizing a pirate consortium of different guilds.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member EpicPosts: 7,199
    By the way...
    It's BREEDING for animals...

Breading... that's:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Breading
    or
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/breading

Just saying because I already got a couple of good laughs :p
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 8700k (4.70ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

By the way...

Breading... that's:
    or

ha! good call. thanks. never been good a spelin

209vaughn said:
    A huge new AAA mmorpg and people are complaining about it, without ever trying it?  LOL.

This game is like EVE Online but in a fantasy setting.  It's not about going through a quest chain to "end game", it's about being a part of a huge world, with lots of different ways to make your impact on that world.  That could mean being a high level crafter, a trader, organize a guild and battle for castles and regions to control trade.  It could mean organizing a pirate consortium of different guilds.

If you dont like liver, do you need to try every liver dish to know you really dont like it? In this game its like they took my favorite stir fry and chucked in a cup of liver for good measure. They were so close to winning my business. Kinda maddens me as I am dying for a new MMO to sink my teeth into. Back to SWToR for me.

edited March 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    209vaughn said:

If you dont like liver, do you need to try every liver dish to know you really dont like it? In this game its like they took my favorite stir fry and chucked in a cup of liver for good measure. They were so close to winning my business. Kinda maddens me as I am dying for a new MMO to sink my teeth into. Back to SWToR for me.
    agree with this general rule.

The very idea that I should spend 90% of my gaming life playing all games I dont like all the way to the end just to make sure I dont like it is silly in its core.

I do think people should 'look into it' before saying its not for them but sometimes that can take just 10 mins because of having a long and extensive gaming experience, said people know what to look for because they have already seen it a billion times before

SEANMCAD said:
    By the way...

Breading... that's:
    or

ha! good call. thanks. never been good a spelin
    Well in BDO you CAN bread with a few different flavors?