Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please explain the hype

GorweGorwe Member RarePosts: 4,839
I really can't understand it. Everything that it has, with an exception of perhaps graphics, has been done better elsewhere.

Is it the whole package? Is it the herd mentality? What is it?

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,182
    Because there is nothing interesting coming out in the near future.  And BDO offers a slight bit more freedom than the brain dead linear quest hub themeparks that we have been force fed for the last 12 years.  It's not tough to figure out why people are excited.
  • azarhalazarhal Member UncommonPosts: 1,224
    I've seen the game hyped on non-MMO websites. The people there didn't know it was a OW PvP game, all they knew about it was that it was online, had RPG element, had pretty graphics and how awesome the character customization was.

As for the people here, I get the impression most MMOers just want a new (good) MMO and are ready to jump on everything that gets released to find it. 
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 796
    No good games out, new one comes out, promising feature list = hype.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Gorwe said:
    I really can't understand it. Everything that it has, with an exception of perhaps graphics, has been done better elsewhere.

This game is really hyped for people such as myself who dreamed of the day of Sandbox type MMOs would come back. Themepark like the World of Warcraft, and ToR are such a bore to us. Raids and guild runs were cool but Sandbox games are what alot of people have been waiting for a long time coming now.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member RarePosts: 3,166
    It's a new game coming out that's gotten a lot of press.  It always generates hype.  Give it a week, and the anti hype will set in.  Ying Yang.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Gorwe said:

same here, watch 5 mins of a video and told my self 'you have got to be joking me'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

azarhal said:
    I've seen the game hyped on non-MMO websites. The people there didn't know it was a OW PvP game, all they knew about it was that it was online, had RPG element, had pretty graphics and how awesome the character customization was.

As for the people here, I get the impression most MMOers just want a new (good) MMO and are ready to jump on everything that gets released to find it. 
    I honestly don't understand what those people are going to do who been playing Themeparks for so long are going to do when they find out that this game has a heavy Sandbox element to it. The only fully Sandbox games I do remember are the likes of Shadowbane (which players did everything in the game including spawn their own vendors in their keeps) and SWG (ofcourse we know you could pick up your house and move it anywhere you like, and lets not mention the DNA mounts you could create in game. Oh and lets not forget Vangard and EQ crafting (both games crafting was just...wow)!
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited February 2016
    kage71 said:
    azarhal said:

I honestly don't understand what those people are going to do who been playing Themeparks for so long are going to do when they find out that this game has a heavy Sandbox element to it. The only fully Sandbox games I do remember are the likes of Shadowbane (which players did everything in the game including spawn their own vendors in their keeps) and SWG (ofcourse we know you could pick up your house and move it anywhere you like, and lets not mention the DNA mounts you could create in game. Oh and lets not forget Vangard and EQ crafting (both games crafting was just...wow)!
    from what I know on this game I am struggling to see it as a 'heavy sandbox'. 'sandbox' maybe but I struggle to see any game with classes let alone gender and age locked classes (which is something I have never seen in a game) as 'heavy' sandbox. (as well as 'levels')

I would describe Wurm Online as a 'Heavy Sandbox' maybe the 'heaviest' of all MMOs not sure thoug
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:
    azarhal said:

from what I know on this game I am struggling to see it as a 'heavy sandbox'. 'sandbox' maybe but I struggle to see any game with classes let alone gender and age locked classes (which is something I have never seen in a game) as 'heavy' sandbox. (as well as 'levels')

I would describe Wurm Online as a 'Heavy Sandbox' maybe the 'heaviest' of all MMOs not sure thoug
    Oh you haven't seen any videos on this game nor have you played it huh? This game has serious heavy sandbox theme to it. There's a video here that explains alot of the sandbox elements to it. If you need I can link the video if you can't find it.
  • blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited February 2016
    well games like BDO get hyped with videos showing awesome grafic, cool combat styles, big character customization to make stunning beautiful characters... but they dont show what the game will be like in the end and than comes the train to disappointment-land and stomping that hyping into the ground.. like always with nearly every game in the last 12 years...

and in my opinion BDO has as much sandbox elements like WoW....

SEANMCAD said:

I would describe Wurm Online as a 'Heavy Sandbox' maybe the 'heaviest' of all MMOs not sure thougt

definitly YES. same goes for games like "Life is Feudal". there are only a handfull of real sandbox game out there... but only the real fanbois are playing those games
    Post edited by blutm8 on
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,180
    I know right, what's up with these companies advertising their products, and people who like games having the audacity to say so in a public forum, that's so not hip.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,304
    It's new and shiny so you're suppose to like it already...

edited February 2016
    The problem comes down to this most people who have not played the CB1 or CB2 are at a lost here. Most people who are claiming it's not a sandbox game and they want to try to compare it to WoW (yet again people want to do that). But I am going to tell you just a bit of the Sandbox elements to it and lets see if WoW has this since you would like to state that this game has about much sandbox element as WoW does.

I was in CB and mistakenly came across a quest that I had to milk a freaking cow. I mean I had to click my trackball left right left right etc... just to get the milk (you don't do this in themepark games you just buy the milk or kill a cow). I went to carry things I was going to sell and the freaking NPC gave me a pack to put on my back and I had to walk the freaking items (really freaking slow) at the same time (which I later found out) this was building up my character's strength. You can also put items on your mount (donkey carries more) build you a wagon to bring stuff from city to city and build a boat and hunt wales if you like or fish. Rope your own horses and get them teamed up to your wagon, and lets not forget you can crossbreed horses, pets and (hell I don't even know how much more). Pets are not just for fun they actually warn you if there's danger. For example: hawks warn you there are elites around, dogs warn you that pvp players are near. And finally (because my hand is getting tired) the map alone will have you themepark players going crazy on how you would go by figuring it out in the first place. But welcome to the world of MMOs before all the themepark games.
    Post edited by kage71 on
  • WizardryWizardry Member EpicPosts: 14,233
    Distopia said:
    I know right, what's up with these companies advertising their products, and people who like games having the audacity to say so in a public forum, that's so not hip.
    I have ZERO problem with CLASSY advertising,people liking games ..good for them,i hope they can find some games they like,there are only millions of them lol.
    What bothers me a lot is advertising is a partner operation with it's websites and YouTubers and Streamers,it is 100% biased advertising.

People say ,yeah DOH,but guess what,i have never seen Square Enix use biased type advertising until this year.They used to just show you their game and the rest is up to you,as it should be.Advertising is suppose to help reach their product out to the world it is not meant to be a biased platform where everyone PRETENDS to be honest but in truth are feeding crap.

Just watch a Ripper X video to know what i am talking about,he never gives a true passionate review it is always about misleading advertising,some are just more transparent than others.If you want to give a review,even if just misleading advertising,be honest tel us what you really think,not what the developer wants to hear.
    That leads to an even bigger problem.The people who actually care about gaming and are honest get ridiculed as haters or trolls but the people bull shitting through their teeth are all A ok.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,307
    edited February 2016
    kage71 said:
    The problem comes down to this most people who have not played the CB1 or CB2 are at a lost here. Most people who are claiming it's not a sandbox game and they want to try to compare it to WoW (yet again people want to do that). But I am going to tell you just a bit of the Sandbox elements to it and lets see if WoW has this since you would like to state that this game has about much sandbox element as WoW does.

I was in CB and mistakenly came across a quest that I had to milk a freaking cow. I mean I had to click my trackball left right left right etc... just to get the milk (you don't do this in themepark games you just buy the milk or kill a cow). I went to carry things I was going to sell and the freaking NPC gave me a pack to put on my back and I had to walk the freaking items (really freaking slow) at the same time (which I later found out) this was building up my character's strength. You can also put items on your mount (donkey carries more) build you a wagon to bring stuff from city to city and build a boat and hunt wales if you like or fish. Rope your own horses and get them teamed up to your wagon, and lets not forget you can crossbreed horses, pets and (hell I don't even know how much more). Pets are not just for fun they actually warn you if there's danger. For example: hawks warn you there are elites around, dogs warn you that pvp players are near. And finally (because my hand is getting tired) the map alone will have you themepark players going crazy on how you would go by figuring it out in the first place. But welcome to the world of MMOs before all the themepark games.
    All that stuff is really cool. So you learn how to carry sacks and stuff all over the map, I thought that was really cool myself in CBT2 in fact that is why I bought it. Now you can build wagons to haul the things all over the map to deliver them.

Now let me ask you a question.

What are you going to do at 45 when you are hauling this stuff all over making deliveries and people are attacking you and killing you?

I think this is a fair question since this is heavy sandbox
    Post edited by ArChWind on
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member UncommonPosts: 487
    The ignorance in this thread is par for the course for MMORPG.com...

the "I watched a 5 min video"... "herd mentality"...

The game is really well done... it is not "revolutionary" but it definitely is evolutionary.. it takes things from other games and makes them better... It lets you play how you want. 

Is it perfect... no .. no game is perfect, but it does 95% better then most AAA games.

A lot of depth in character development...

The issues lies not within the gameplay.. but within the MMO community that has become jaded and mistrusting... 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    The only point of advertising is to get you to buy the product.  That's it.  Period.  You may wish it to serve a more noble purpose, but your wish is not their command.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 875
    This game is not in any way, shape or form, WoW.  This game is all about alternate leveling systemsssssss (lots! lots of systems)  The problem for me is that all that depth and work has a reward of almost exclusively dailies and PvP. 

Very pretty, some innovative systems, and interesting combat.  But the payoff is not in a currency that I want to earn, so I am looking elsewhere...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

ArChWind said:
    kage71 said:

All that stuff is really cool. So you learn how to carry sacks and stuff all over the map, I thought that was really cool myself in CBT2 in fact that is why I bought it. Now you can build wagons to haul the things all over the map to deliver them.

What are you going to do at 45 when you are hauling this stuff all over making deliveries and people are attacking you and killing you?

Noticed how you missed the point from the start? By the time I am 45 will not be carrying packs on my back at all. That would be all left to the NPCs I hire. Carrying packs at such a low level thing build up a warrior's strength. Do you need more hold handing and me telling you what to expect from a game? This is just another example how WoW destroyed the MMO community. The MMO community cannot think for themselves. Give them a boss, raid, group dungeon and they are pacified but you give them a world without chains and they are lost. Man I would have love to seen players today try to play  Shadowbane.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,307
    kage71 said:
    ArChWind said:
    kage71 said:

Noticed how you missed the point from the start? By the time I am 45 will not be carrying packs on my back at all. That would be all left to the NPCs I hire. Carrying packs at such a low level thing build up a warrior's strength. Do you need more hold handing and me telling you what to expect from a game? This is just another example how WoW destroyed the MMO community. The MMO community cannot think for themselves. Give them a boss, raid, group dungeon and they are pacified but you give them a world without chains and they are lost. Man I would have love to seen players today try to play  Shadowbane.
    Did you know you are flagged PvP what are you going to do? This is a very heavy sandbox you know.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,391
    Its been done better where?

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 499
    It's new and shiny so you're suppose to like it already...
    yup it work like that

that a new game, pre order it, pay 100$ when you know nothing about the game, no trial

dev know and tell you what the game like, spend money drone, enjoy it that new.

now do it for each new release, because, why not ?
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,427
    Not sure actually. Played it, hated it, thought ok will try with the wife in CB1, was a little better, then we played CB2 together , lasted about 2-3 hours, looked at each other and said uninstall? We both did so promptly. The shiny new will wear off soon, especially for those wanting to PVE.
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Gorwe said:

Herdness Nerdness!  It is a "new" "MMORPG" -> hype.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,427
    Recore said:
    Its been done better where?

Take your pick.