Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will I learn?

BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158

Let me start by saying, I am generally not a stupid person. However for some reason, likely desperation for a good MMO, I once again bought into all the hype and preordered Black Desert Online. Started playing and with in a half hour I was lvl 10. You literally stand in one spot and hold down the left mouse button until you ding, instantly heal and continue on or move to the next spawn point and repeat. When will I learn? .... /sigh <bangs head into wall over and over again>

Comments

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    NEVER! because like my self you constantly seek that mmo, mine is a mmo of old. i miss the older communities where the trolls and general dickishness was lower. Now days it seems people enjoy being rude and ignorant. But we must make do with what we have, and hope that one day we get the mmo we are waiting for.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    edited February 2016
    Really, that's all anyone truly seeks in an MMO (Well, maybe not some of these kids today, I don't understand them) is the social aspects. People to talk to about common interests, making new friends, accomplishing goals with those new friends - no matter how meaningless, easy, or hard they may be.

Edit: Think about it. The last time you had fun in an MMO over a long period of time, was it really the game? Or the people you were interacting with?
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Can I has your stuff?

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    TBH SomethingUnusual, I would have to say Eq1 before they started to morph into what it is now. You are right though it was about the people not the game, but todays games cater to solo players, the antisocial extreme action lovers, you can not talk with groupmates, no time, must smash keys, must  hurry to top level. It's not that the games are bad now, They are OK for what they are and who they are made for ( The new generation of instant gratification kids) Sad really.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Just keep going you get to the best part in 40 levels and come her crying it is to much grinding and grinding to get the next level and getting PK'ed trying to do it.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Depends how you play, if you go in looking for rushing levels, thats what you're gonna get, if you go in looking for something else, that what you will get. This game isn't going to tell you whats out there or how things are done, you have to do that all yourself, this game is far from instant gratification, but offers it if thats what your looking for of course, less rewarding though.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    You just have to be disciplined!

I was certainly "addicted" to MMORPGs for a long time. Averaged probably 4hrs a day between 2007 (lotro release) and 2013, very unhealthy. I certainly ended up playing games way past the point where they were enjoyable because I still hoped to find that feeling of fun I got in the early days.

Eventually, you just got to put your foot down and be disciplined. SW:TOR was the game that broke the camels back for me. I bought into the hype. I pre-ordered. I moved my guild there. 3 weeks after launch, I was capped (only started skipping dialogue around lvl 35 when it became clear the writing wasn't going to get better). 6 weeks after launch we'd cleared all the content. 8 weeks after launch we'd cleared hardmode raids. 

Still, I kept playing for a year! I was convinced that the game would somehow get better, that they'd make combat more interesting, the classes more diverse, the worlds more open, the raids harder, reduce the power gaps etc. When the announced the first xpac, it became clear the game was going to remain a pile of turd. They could do story content but weren't capable of anything else. 

So, I made myself a promise never to buy an MMO again without more research and unless it met my minimum requirements. So far, no MMO has met my minimum requirements. However, my life in general has been more productive. I'm more social, I'm fitter, I've gotten a couple of promotions at work and when I want to game, there are plenty of single player games to pick up and play for cheap on steam. 

I still hope to find my next MMO which is why I'm still here, but I refuse to fall for the same hype train bollocks that got me with swtor. 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    You are just hopeful the next release will be that one.  Also lack of discipline and impulse control may play a part.  Anyway, I'm sure a new game will launch soon this site will tell you is "revolutionary" and Ripper X will do a complimentary video on it and if you are lucky you can spend 100+ to get in the pre-alpha testing phase.   Good luck!
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Really, that's all anyone truly seeks in an MMO (Well, maybe not some of these kids today, I don't understand them) is the social aspects. People to talk to about common interests, making new friends, accomplishing goals with those new friends - no matter how meaningless, easy, or hard they may be.

Edit: Think about it. The last time you had fun in an MMO over a long period of time, was it really the game? Or the people you were interacting with?
    Think about it, when was the last time you needed to interact with anyone in a modern MMO? See what's wrong?
  • loghorizon01loghorizon01 Member UncommonPosts: 32

Same old, same old, all the time, even with new games. These days the games themselves aren't much but I still enjoy MMOs if I have people online I can chat with.

Blogging here a little bit: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/loghorizon01
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2016
    Kilrain said:

Think about it, when was the last time you needed to interact with anyone in a modern MMO? See what's wrong?
    We're talking about a PVP game here, if you're not interacting with other players you're missing the entire point of the game, you'll be a pretty nice target before too long as well. SO yes I can see the problem..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Uh oh someone bought bdo for pve questing only.  Or you took zero time trying to understand the systems involved in the game.  As an eq person I have no illusions that this game is going to be eq pve tactics or challenge.  Im actually hoping the game is a nice chatacter building exercise with some meaningful risk vs reward siege large scale pvp (they are going to have to add destructible player owned cities for this or more siege risk vs reward).
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Distopia said:
    Kilrain said:

We're talking about a PVP game here, if you're not interacting with other players you're missing the entire point of the game, you'll be a pretty nice target before too long as well. SO yes I can see the problem..
    Any MMO. 
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    ArcheAge was the last game I did this with.  My first MMO was SWG, and I've spent the last decade trying to find another that gave me that level of satisfaction in an MMO.  I think another poster hit it right, though.  It's about the people.  Since you couldn't be self-sufficient in that game (only 1 toon on a server), it forced you to depend on other people.  Well . . . we all know by now what SWG was about, so I won't go into rant mode here.  I'll simply say that nothing has quite lived up to it.

i have so far passed on BDO.  There are simply more things I dislike about it than there are things I like with no gold / item trading and forced PvP chief among them.  Still though, I get hyped about games.  I'm a gamer.  Specifically, I love adventure games, MMOs, and RPGs.  As an older gamer, I have a certain amount of disposable income that I budget for games each month.  Sometimes I get turds, and sometimes I find amazing games (like Pillars of Eternity or ARK).  It's not really about the money anymore though.  It's more about not supporting crap games.  Steam is now a SEA of AWFUL 16-bit retro style roguelike indie garbage, while amazingly well done games like the new King's Quest reboot never see the front page.  I hope more gamers in general stop buying into the "new hotness hype" sooner rather than later.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited March 2016
    Blueliner said:
    ...( The new generation of instant gratification kids) Sad really.
    I'm not here to say you are right or wrong. You have your impression of the game (which I have not played yet, by the way). It is correct for you.

I am here to say that this new generation didn't know anything when they got here. They were taught how to interact and survive in this world by their elders. The kids today didn't design smart phones. They were designed by old farts and sold to kids who now can't live without them.  So I have a hard time blaming kids. Think of how future generations will think of us and the fkd up world we are leaving them.

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    d_20 said:
    Blueliner said:
    ...( The new generation of instant gratification kids) Sad really.
    I'm not here to say you are right or wrong. You have your impression of the game (which I have not played yet, by the way). It is correct for you.

I am here to say that this new generation didn't know anything when they got here. They were taught how to interact and survive in this world by their elders. The kids today didn't design smart phones. They were designed by old farts and sold to kids who now can't live without them.  So I have a hard time blaming kids. Think of how future generations will think of us and the fkd up world we are leaving them.

Well, I don't have kids, will likely never have them, but if I had, they sure as hell wouldn't have smart phones until they moved out of my house. I grew up with out much for games, I had Nintendo sure but only a few hours a week tops, I learned to go out side and do/build stuff, play sports and catch critters. My kids would do the same. but then again I have no kids so take it with a grain of salt.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Unless you just like playing rehashed games with a different skin,the only game i remotely see doing anything for the genre is COE.Other than that game,fully expect the same old tropes,grinding,pvp,end game nonsense,nothing is changing,there seem to be 1-2 blueprints that devs are using for game design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    wanderica said:
    i have so far passed on BDO.  There are simply more things I dislike about it than there are things I like with no gold / item trading and forced PvP chief among them.  Still though, I get hyped about games.  I'm a gamer.  Specifically, I love adventure games, MMOs, and RPGs.  As an older gamer, I have a certain amount of disposable income that I budget for games each month.  Sometimes I get turds, and sometimes I find amazing games (like Pillars of Eternity or ARK).  It's not really about the money anymore though.  It's more about not supporting crap games.  Steam is now a SEA of AWFUL 16-bit retro style roguelike indie garbage, while amazingly well done games like the new King's Quest reboot never see the front page.  I hope more gamers in general stop buying into the "new hotness hype" sooner rather than later.

I loved the new free King's Quest reboot, completed KQ I and KQ II. There is a number of great games that stay hidden because many people never bother to investigate beyond what game press reporters write about.

I have to confess that I never bothered to look into BDO. It was hate at first sight, I guess. I'm automatically repulsed or extremely prejudiced towards Asian fantasy MMORPGs because I don't expect anything from their game concepts that I could ever enjoy. Maybe I was a lot more optimistic about them 10-15 years ago, but that optimism is long completely gone. I used to love one Korean game and still have some fond memories from it, but it wasn't a fantasy MMORPG. It was an MMRTS game, Navyfield.

This year I'll be probably slowly savouring Pillars of Eternity and keeping an eye on a few other games on my Steam wishlist, waiting for -50% or -75% sales. For example, I love Homeworld games for their epic cutscenes and was happy to learn that a new Homeworld game was released a month ago. Something to look forward to in 2016 or 2017.

For multiplayer experience I'll continue waiting for new developments with Revival, CoE and Star Citizen. I don't mind if those games are released only 4-5 years from now. I am not in a hurry to see them. It will be a pity if those projects become completely cancelled, though. I still play a few released MMOs, but I usually do that very casually because more than half of the experience feels like beating a dead dog.

For me the best MMO experience was during the golden age of Neverwinter Nights games. It says a lot about the industry when talented enthusiast persistent world developers and dungeon masters working for free for the love of the game could arrange a lot more fun and immersive gameplay experience than commercial MMO companies.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Bloodaxes said:
    Can I has your stuff?

Actually you will have to come up with something else to say, not because its 10 years old, but because you really cant have his stuff or anyone's stuff in BDO.  Its all player locked untradeable.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I m glad I tested it multiple times. Tried to like it, but damn I m glad I saved money on this terrible game. I mean, I know some people like it, but I just couldn t take it.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    What better do you have to do with your time?  Be honest... because you wouldn't be pre-ordering anything if you had something to do other than play video games.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Just remember the lesson you learned form this, don't trust the hype machine.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    The negative posts are not even trying anymore... just blatant misrepresentation...