Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are the new mmorpgs?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
When I was 16 my generation had an MMO called WoW that all my mates grew up on.. though I started with EverQuest. Now what do kids have? WoW took over everything, none of my friends have gone on to play any other mmorpg since and I haven't bothered with one since 2005. 

Where are they? We've only seen two big studios attempt one with Blizzard and Bioware, everything else is some crappy looking indie thing or from Asia :/

Is Destiny the new MMO now? It's not massive, but fuck it the genre is dead, this is all we have.

Comments

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    They are coming, but as you said they are all kickstarter/indie games or from Korea. No AAA game in sight if im not wrong. We have to live with that i guess. But i still think and hope Blizzard will make one in the next 5 years.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    There is a new mmo coming out next week. Not new in Asia, but definitely new in the West. And im ready for it.

Also, to address the OP comment showing rejection towards Asian games... A video game doesn't need to be American or European for me to enjoy it. Most my favorite games of all time are Japanese. But they are not mmos.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Think companies may move to more survival type of games.  But like the guy above said, Blizzard will probably do it, they know the formula for success.  As much as people bash it,  it still destroys all other games as in player population and its 12 years old.   
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    The genre is slow. There maybe some games early in development not requiring public funding who have yet to announce.  Especially if they are going back to the drawing board. 
  • AprillyAprilly Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Considering what has been on the market lately, I hope they don't bother.

That which does not kill you only makes you stronger.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 357
    edited February 2016
    All the AAA stuff has been terrible recently. I want to play with people like I did in AO, and AOC I am even willing to be a healing monkey but nothing out there that offers it.

If you want to group play you have MOBAs and I dont like that, otherwise go and solo in MMOs.

I spend my money on games like War thunder and hearthstone even though I would much rather be spending it on a group based MMO.
  • ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    Currently putting Perfect World International aside for a bit, playing Blade & Soul a bit, just started Everquest 2 with a friend again last night, brought Everquest 1 up to date so I can play it this morning...

In limbo till 2017-2018 when "Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen" and "Saga of Lucimia" are supposed to release. Those seem to be the only hope for MMO's that actually sound like they are attempting to make proper MMORPGs. Here's to hoping at least one of them does it...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited February 2016
    tixylix said:
    When I was 16 my generation had an MMO called WoW that all my mates grew up on.. though I started with EverQuest. Now what do kids have? WoW took over everything, none of my friends have gone on to play any other mmorpg since and I haven't bothered with one since 2005. 

Where are they? We've only seen two big studios attempt one with Blizzard and Bioware, everything else is some crappy looking indie thing or from Asia :/

Is Destiny the new MMO now? It's not massive, but fuck it the genre is dead, this is all we have.
    So you never have tried ESO, SWTOR, GW2 to name 3 MMO's?  How about EVE, one of the finest MMORPG's ever made, but certainly not for everyone.  TSW was another good, different choice.

Can you really complain if you've never played the above? Sounds like you and your friends don't really like MMO's.

Also, if your friends won't/don't play MMO's, why not go out and play them on your own and make new friends, that's what I do in every new game.

I am Phenomenal

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    tixylix said:

The genre is much more fractured that it was in the early WoW days.  There won't be that collective memory like then.

I self identify as a monkey.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    OP, I and many here would agree with you, after all I haven't spent $ on a new game for 5 years, 1 month and 17 days after having exceptional gaming experience previously for 2 decades.

We all have to find ways to contribute in any way we can to see better days tomorrow, some with voting through their wallets, some with posting on forums like these and creating awareness, but rest assured better days are coming, because rock bottom was already hit and we can only go forward from now. That being said I know I will be enjoying a new MMORPG very soon, Tree of Savior....long enough to help me pass the first half of 2016 before the other good stuff comes and then there is always a chance this game might actually prove to be something exceptional to be enjoyed for year+.

I'm also keeping an eye on Path of Exile new league coming very soon and I have my CS 1.6 warcraft 3 mod as a back up. I recently stop playing Marvel Heroes and another MMORPG on private server, so yea it is rough, but manageable.

edited February 2016
    Kopogero said:
    ...after all I haven't spent $ on a new game for 5 years, 1 month and 17 days after having exceptional gaming experience previously for 2 decades.
    I see you didn't take my advice to start rounding to the nearest 6 month mark on this unnecessary statistic, so once again I can only laugh.

Don't ever change.

I'll show you how it's done even, "I've been subbed for over 6 years on as many as 6 accounts in EVE"

BTW kidz, don't do as this guy does, it makes you irrelevant to the market in general.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I mean no offense by this, but the title reminded me of this:

• Boot_legBoot_leg Member UncommonPosts: 28
    My hope lies in Camelot Unchained.  Although it may not be AAA.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    edited February 2016
    I could be completely wrong, but I think teenagers these days go to board game coffee shops if they want to play a game with human interaction.

Several years ago, a Games Workshop opened at Bromley. A few months ago, a board game coffee shop opened next door - it's full on Saturday and Sunday evenings.

This is a new trend I think.

The next trend should involve Oculus Rift etc.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    tixylix said:

Keep in mind not everyone's an "mmo" player.

I've met many people who have played WoW but never went on to any other mmo. WoW is sort of it's own thing.

To answer your question? It's probably going to be indy mmo's/Asian mmo's going forth. People are going to have to temper their expectations.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited February 2016
    I am more interested in a few of the upcoming survival games then MMORPG's. I am following the development of two that seem promising and give the option to run your own dedicated server for some friends. Similar to how you can do that with Minecraft. So with own server rules and possibly mods (one of the upcoming has that option at least).

Most in this genre are very bad though. Especially those based on some zombie theme. If you take the FFA PVP away, you will notice that they barely have any content and what is there is very buggy.

Anyway, as for MMORPG's. Maybe some day a new interesting MMO will be released. But for now they don't really hold my attention for long. Lack of virtual world, too lineair and gimmicky (achievement focus, gear threadmill as endgame , crap like that).
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Love for Old School MMOs + Hate for Indie Development = Heartache.  

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    flguy147 said:
    Think companies may move to more survival type of games.  But like the guy above said, Blizzard will probably do it, they know the formula for success.  As much as people bash it,  it still destroys all other games as in player population and its 12 years old.   
    LOL, Blizzard's formula for success was called luck.  They haven't been able to repeat their luck nor have they managed to stave off the loss of their luck.

Sincerely doubt they plan on making another MMO again.  Overwatch seems to be their new direction, that and eSports... which is what Overwatch type games are made for.
    Vutar said:
    Kyleran said:
    tixylix said:

So you never have tried ESO, SWTOR, GW2 to name 3 MMO's?  How about EVE, one of the finest MMORPG's ever made, but certainly not for everyone.  TSW was another good, different choice.

Can you really complain if you've never played the above? Sounds like you and your friends don't really like MMO's.

Also, if your friends won't/don't play MMO's, why not go out and play them on your own and make new friends, that's what I do in every new game.

I am Phenomenal

None of those games hold a candle to EQ or WoW. I think that is his point. There has not been a genre defining MMO since WoW. Instead we get pay to win, action combat flameouts, and indie companies promising the moon if we just wait 10 years.
    I don't disagree, but he did say "none of my friends have gone on to play any other mmorpg since and I haven't bothered with one since 2005. "

which would imply he hasn't played any since then. 

Precision in communication!

I am Phenomenally Precise!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Home page of this site -> Quick Game Jump -> detailed game list -> sort by date

Here, I'll even give you a direct link:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/estimatedRelease/sOrder/desc
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I think the AAA mmo's are all done. No big company wants to put the money into making them anymore. The only thing keeping the genre alive is kickstarter now. And like the OP said they are pretty much crappy niche games at best. My first mmo was AO and i really don't like many of the games that came out after Wow. Right now i play older pre Wow mmo's only and having fun is all that matters. You just have to suck it up and stop looking for something new.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Where are the new movies?  I haven't set foot inside a movie theater in several years.  What happened?

"I ignored X" is not at all similar to "X doesn't exist".
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    tixylix said:

wait what? 
    Rift was huge before it lost to GW2. Guild Wars 2 is huge before it lost to HoT.

There were many of good games between 2004 and now. too many to name. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Hariken said:
    I think the AAA mmo's are all done. No big company wants to put the money into making them anymore. The only thing keeping the genre alive is kickstarter now. And like the OP said they are pretty much crappy niche games at best. My first mmo was AO and i really don't like many of the games that came out after Wow. Right now i play older pre Wow mmo's only and having fun is all that matters. You just have to suck it up and stop looking for something new.
    You dont need SWTOR level of funds to make a good MMO. Shit, most of that funding for SWTOR didnt even go to gameplay, as one of the leakers had leaked.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design