Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tab Targeting Dead?

GetGowensGetGowens Member UncommonPosts: 17
Is the days of tab targeting mmos over? I personally love that style of mmo and am hoping the next major mmo has that feature. Is this a possible feature for future games, or have we just moved past it?

Comments

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    The time of tab targeting combat may seem to be over not because it is inferior to action combat. Rather it is because there hasn't been a good game with tab targeting combat in a while.

I personally do not care much about tab targeting vs action combat because they both tax the player in different ways. I have greatly enjoyed tab targeting MMOs in the past (Aion comes to mind), and I would certainly play one that is good in the future.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I don't think it's dead. 

Action-combat is definitely the current bandwagon so we've had quite a few MMOs release with it recently, but there is room for both and a market for both so I think we'll see both sticking around for a long time. 

My personal preference is also for tab-targetting. Action combat is fine for casual 15minute playsessions and I enjoy it in those sorts of console games, but as soon as I start playing for any extended time period I just end up bored. Tab-targetting holds my interest for much longer. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    its not dead, its just companies like to follow trends.

First everyone was doing wow-like mmos. Then everyone doing mobas. Now everyone is doing action combat.

Trends come and go.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I hope not, I like games that cater to different combat styles.

And when I'm not in the mood for intense combat mechanics and looking for a more casual gaming session, tab targeting fits the bill perfectly.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

First everyone was doing wow-like mmos. Then everyone doing mobas. Now everyone is doing action combat.

Trends come and go.
    This... my guess is when things settle we will see a hybrid of the two be more common. Some games going full tab and others pure MOBA style. 
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    The fact there isn't a new tab target game every other week, like action MMO, shows an issue with action MMO rather than with tab target.

Action MMO have issues with player retention. WoW, EQ, FFXIV, don't.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Trends come and go.
    Agreed
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    immodium said:
    I hope not, I like games that cater to different combat styles.

And when I'm not in the mood for intense combat mechanics and looking for a more casual gaming session, tab targeting fits the bill perfectly.
    Lol, its interesting how different people's brains work!

For me, I play action-combat games when I want a relaxed, casual gaming session, but prefer to switch to tab-targetting when I want something more engaging / hardcore / intense!
  • mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Nah not dead just another flavor, both has there place among others. I enjoy action as you keep your eye on target more immersive for me.
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited February 2016
    I think tab-target has been favored over other targeting methods mostly because of the technical limitations (latency, hit registration, physics and server capabilities). It also appeals to a large audience since it's easy to learn, convenient and lower mechanical skills and reflexes are required compared to free aim.

Now that we got the technology to achieve free aim, assisted targeting and the like it's a lot easier to do it (if I'm correct Darkfall was one of the pioneer MMORPGs achieving large-scale battle using non hard target aiming).

It allows for more freedom, immersive and intuitive controls, complex strategies, realistic physics, emphasis on mechanical skills...

I think that the new games that still choose to go with tab-targeting should still borrow some elements of free aim (ground targeting, hybrid free aim / hard target) so it's appealing to a larger audience.

• goth1cgoth1c Member UncommonPosts: 79
    its obvious tab targeting as to die as people whant their games do be more real, tab targeting are for botters or lazy people

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    goth1c said:
    its obvious tab targeting as to die as people whant their games do be more real, tab targeting are for botters or lazy people

I use to think that way until a poll showed that the mmorpg players prefer tab targeting.  50% to be exact which is a lot more then I would ever imagine. 

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446322/your-pick-between-these-3-combat-styles-fps-tps-eso-tera-tab-targeting-eq-wow/p1

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    edited February 2016
    goth1c said:
    its obvious tab targeting as to die as people whant their games do be more real,
    Silly argument, if MMO were realistic, you would get hit with a sword once, die, and the game would be over. That doesn't sound like much fun to me.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Waterlily said:
    goth1c said:
    its obvious tab targeting as to die as people whant their games do be more real,
    Silly argument, if MMO were realistic, you would get hit with a sword once, die, and the game would be over. That doesn't sound like much fun to me.
    Yeah, the whole realism argument is a terrible one. Not just MMOs, all games.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    It depends on the game.  I think some games go overboard with the action.  I don't feel like dancing constantly away from telegraphed attacks either.  Balance is key lol.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I don't think it's dead. I think that the companies want to attract the majority (or casual) players who don't enjoy the slower paced nature of tab targeting in a game. I personally would much rather play a game with tab targeting than with action combat simply because it gives me time to use the attacks I want to use, instead of trying to aim at what I'm hitting while pressing spell buttons while running around, it just becomes bothersome to actually get a plan going during a fight. I spent most of my time in raids / dungeons in Tera just avoiding big attacks and trying to land hits it just wasn't as fun for me for some reason. 

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Combat that is too fast-paced and requires too much keyboard focus and constant vigilance tends to kill one very important aspect of an MMO:  dialogue and chat.  Folks need time to type and talk.  If a game is too fast for that, then, well, it's too fast.  An MMO cannot be all about combat and only combat.
    You mean they arguably shouldn't be. But they largely are right now.
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    I still tab target, and find it much faster than click-targeting when cycling through burn mobs. 

However, click-targeting is the only way to roll when doing strategic targets. 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Purely my opinion here... but the more "twitch based" combat becomes the less of an RPG it becomes.  It can still be a great game, but the more player skills are weighted versus character skills... the less of an RPG it becomes.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited February 2016
    I much prefer action combat over tab-targeting but I am under no illusion that tab-argeting will go away any time soon.  Not unlike click-to-move mechanics, I am afraid  that tab-targeting will have it's niche for a long time to come.
  • AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I hope so its the most boring form of combat.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Nah, it's not dead.  What is now old will one day be new again.

But then, I miss turn-based RPG's from the Commodore 64, and you don't see many of those being made these days.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Waterlily said:
    goth1c said:
    I think you know what he means and you just want to argue with him.  He didnt say completely realistic, he said "more" real meaning make it as realistic as possible but just enough un-realism to be a game.

Examples:
    The Division
    Dark Souls
    For Honor

And for your information there have been games that have realistic death that are fun and strategic like Americas Army and Bushido Blade

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Nah, it's not dead.  What is now old will one day be new again.

So say we all!
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    I liked the aoc system. It was kind of hybrid.

problem for me, action combat as BD is doing it, is stressful, like playing a FPS.

i prefer a slower pace, killing mobs faster without doing stressy attacks (archer grinding video...)

other hybrid styles are also funny, like age of wushu.