Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO's Greatest Enemy is Information

Comments

• JownzJownz Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Give me a break. I'm a father of 2 working 6 days a week and yet I still managed to find time to read up on how to play the game. Take 15 minutes out of you busy schedule and read this new player guide. Then erase this bullshit post.

http://blackdesertfoundry.com/2016/02/16/starterlaunch-guide/
  • LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited February 2016
    I agree the localization is bad and the game is complex... however, I see that being mostly to its benefit.

It feels like, for the first time in a decade or more, have to band together as a community. We're figuring things out as we go, that is bringing players closer together.

Sure, it's not that polished, spoon-fed, hand-holding we've all gotten used to - but then again, isn't that what's been chipping away at the integrity and the possibilities of the genre for so long?

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Cleffy said:
    I like an aspect of buy the box. Its an issue many developers are dealing with that buy the box corrects a little for less popular titles. Bots/gold farmers.
    Yes buying the box does not get rid of them, but a pay wall severely limits their activity. In the end, even if there are bots and gold farmers then at least they are paying retail to do so.
    Gold Spammers/bots use other peoples accounts... not their own.  They don't spend their money, they spend yours.

Even subscription based games can be inundated at launch with them... all those pre-pre-pre betas and pre-orders has given rise to their early access to your account info as well.

BDO will have less of this not because it's B2P but because of how they are handling the economy... it's less conducive to them.  Could have been a F2P game and have the exact number of bots/spammers.  It's how the game is designed that promotes such activity, not the payment model of said game.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited February 2016
    Pepeq said:
    Cleffy said:
    I like an aspect of buy the box. Its an issue many developers are dealing with that buy the box corrects a little for less popular titles. Bots/gold farmers.
    Yes buying the box does not get rid of them, but a pay wall severely limits their activity. In the end, even if there are bots and gold farmers then at least they are paying retail to do so.
    Gold Spammers/bots use other peoples accounts... not their own.  They don't spend their money, they spend yours.

Even subscription based games can be inundated at launch with them... all those pre-pre-pre betas and pre-orders has given rise to their early access to your account info as well.

BDO will have less of this not because it's B2P but because of how they are handling the economy... it's less conducive to them.  Could have been a F2P game and have the exact number of bots/spammers.  It's how the game is designed that promotes such activity, not the payment model of said game.

Well no, making it B2P will indeed reduce the number of hackers/gold spammers.  People get banned and they don't always come back as they do in F2P.  

Lol at Jownz.  You need to read the 250 page bible.  There is some good info in that little guide but it will not cut it.  I think it comes down to, do people want to read a 250 "bible" before playing.  People that are on the fence about the game are definitely not going to do that.

There seems to be a disconnect with reality for a lot of people in this thread.  While you may love reading 250 page bibles before playing a game, you can't deny that an overwhelming majority of the game playing population is never going to do that.  They will stumble around for a couple days...lost and then quit.  Or they will do the lackluster quests, think that is all there is to the game, and quit.
    Post edited by Mardukk on
  • WasadiWasadi Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I dig it personally. Sometimes, I enjoy figuring out a game's processes, crafting, or questing on my own. I don't usually get too frustrated with things like that. If and when I do, there's at least a years worth of player guide videos in almost every language on youtube. Thanks for your time and effort.

If you ain't dyin', then you ain't tryin'.

• ultimatomultimatom Member UncommonPosts: 46
    What Steven seems to want is exactly what's wrong with MMOs nowadays, and this is how some ridiculous childish games like Neverwinter came to life, where you just have to follow the highlighted path and not even think about where you need to go or what you need to do ... what's the point of even playing then ?
    I'm glad that BDO is going the opposite way, I'm glad that we actually have to learn how to play the game and discover everything about it, I'm glad that it takes some effort to do so, and I'm glad that people who like current so-called "MMOs" won't be going near it ;)
  • KayAndroidKayAndroid Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I was agreeing with your article, right until you mentioned Eve.
    Everything you need to know as a beginner in Eve is easy to figure out if you went to school, and know how to read.

For the sake of this game, I hope they can make the localization smoother in time for release, and if it's not ready, I hope they do the smart thing and push the launch date back.
  • knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I liked a lot of the features of the game however, I didn't like how I needed to befriend an npc and they wanted a specific piece of knowledge and I had no means of finding it, I talked to every npc I could find, I even tried to look for bookshelfs and I wasn't successful, nothing is more infuriating than fruitless efforts, I would suggest introducing a library in certain places where knowledge can be donated and obtained, recipes, resource locations, animal and enemy npc so that I can at least be pointed in the right direction. I don't like having my handheld but when I ask for help I expect to find it without having to run around for countless hours in the wrong area, otherwise I did like what I see.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I had trouble getting past the dialogue in the game. It was badly translated and very hard around the edges. It did not grab my attention and it actually pulled me out of any immersion that I had.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Kiyoris said:
    i'll take BD over EQ1 any day thank you very much.

If they were better than todays mmos they would still have full servers... only WoW manages to do that from all the oldies.
    EQ has 17 official servers online right now, 16 years after launch.

How many will Black Desert have in 16 years?
    And not a damn one of them are anything like the actual EQ I played.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    edited February 2016

Dahkoht said:

Good lord did the author ever play EQ , the real EQ ?

I very much enjoyed figuring everything out at launch , maybe every game doesn't have to have glowing arrows and safety rails and hand holding ?

Yeah that or even FFXI early launch! There was no hand holding in either of those games nor the idiot proof tracking system. BDO has the click to travel to quest location and mini map markers and for the most part I didn't find many quests I couldn't figure out by reading and using that gap between my ears!

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    OP doesn't understand what sandbox is I guess. You arent supposed to have everything explained in detail, you are supposed to figure some stuff out by trial and error on your own. Waste of time article.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I love no hand holding but they jumped back n forth over the fence.

They have lines all over the map showing you exact connections "SHOWING you".Then you click on the icons and gain all your information.I prefer players have to actually go there and figure things out and see for themselves.To basically learn the areas,the npc's the routes,that is what a rpg is all about.You defeat the whole purpose of the system if you have it laid out for the player so they know exactly where to go and how far to make added value on their sales.

This game is not set in the year 2010,there are no PC's with players hooking up in game on PC';s to google information about locations,so the developer should not portray it that way.

Another fence jumper,they have energy points even just for chatting but yet you have a tireless npc who can farm pumpkins non stop.SO it really seems the design is jumpy all over the place,like different people with different ideas all designing separate aspects of the game,it needs more cohesion,one direction.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:

Another fence jumper,they have energy points even just for chatting but yet you have a tireless npc who can farm pumpkins non stop.SO it really seems the design is jumpy all over the place,like different people with different ideas all designing separate aspects of the game,it needs more cohesion,one direction.

Nice try but not quite. Those pumpkin pickers have their own tiredness meter and have to be fed beer or other food you craft yourself when they get tired.

The game actually is very cohesive. It's just tough to understand it at a quick glance.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

Nice try but not quite. Those pumpkin pickers have their own tiredness meter and have to be fed beer or other food you craft yourself when they get tired.

The game actually is very cohesive. It's just tough to understand it at a quick glance.
    And depending on the type/race of worker they get hungry quicker, work faster, move faster etc. The workers also level up- they have to actually sit for an exam to do that though (no kidding). 
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I have nostalgia remembering back to the days where you needed a notebook next to your computer to write down the things you figured out (anyone remember the AC Taper System before the addons came out?) or grid paper to map things, trial and error to figure out how to cast a certain spell,etc. From all I have read and watched this game has depth...a lot of it. That inherently will turn some off because it's not "fun" to learn things for yourself.

But...

While I've been watching BDO from afar for months, I never jumped into the hype-pit. After Lineage II I promised myself to be wary of Korean MMOs. There's challenge and then there's lunacy. Sometimes you can't tell whether the systems are built well and will provide challenge or they're impossible to manage. Korean games tend to be disparaging to women gamers, the PvP systems are flawed and not "fair", camping mob spawns and grinding is "fun", paying to win is seen as acceptable since having money means you are successful (school/business) and said success should carry into games.

Asian culture and NA culture are so different yet as gamers we think "how different can they be"? This directly affects these games. The reason it's acceptable for a Korean game to be P2W is because gaming is seen as a reward for hard work in school/job etc. A student in Korea has funds to buy that Sword +50 because he came home from school, did his homework, did his house chores, received his allowance and then jumped in game. In NA a kid comes home from school and jumps into the game while his parents are screaming at him to do his homework and he threatens to sue them for harrassment while holding their credit card hostage.

I'll hang on the sidelines for a bit and see how the audience receives BDO for longer than just a few days. After the inevitable launch dust settles, I might wade in and check things out.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I'm glad this game doesn't hold your hand. It kind of reminds me of the old days when you didn't have all the resources outside the game. This game might struggle though, since a lot of younger gamers today don't have the attention spans to play games with complicated systems.
    So I guess Auto Pathing is not considered holding your hand...

• sniperman248sniperman248 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I like the idea of the game being complex, finally its going to be an mmo where it truly feels like an adventure where I will still be learning things along the way. Rather than knowing everything right at the beginning. Back in the day when it was just Runescape and WoW, and Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot can't think of others atm, but my point is you learned how to play along the way you learned what worked and what didn't, it felt like an adventure. Some people need to get there heads out of there arses and learn that not every game is designed to be rushed through.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    3 comments were about the Article.

The rest have been posters agressively agro on eachother.

It's like Pre-k here.

Only you guys don't have an excuse aside from social disorders manifesting like crazy.

BDO is good stuff for it's complexity but that will go Archeage in a week or two.
  • TezcatTezcat Member UncommonPosts: 82
    So, just read the whole article and it seems to me is that someone wants there hand held and can't be bothered to work out stuff for themselves.

That is what a lot of us like about BDO. We have to think. Plenty of games out there for the mindless zombies.

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Tezcat said:
    So, just read the whole article and it seems to me is that someone wants there hand held and can't be bothered to work out stuff for themselves.

That is what a lot of us like about BDO. We have to think. Plenty of games out there for the mindless zombies.
    I really have to agree with you on that one. It seems as if the ugly world of Themepark players is sticking its head up.
    Most people who have never played a Sandbox style MMO are going to be so lost in a game like this it's sad but I got one statement to say to them "welcome to the world of MMOs before the handholding and leading you through era." MMOs didn't always just hold the players hand and lead them through we actually had to find our way by using the ole brain.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Glad to have someone point this out. Lack of information about how to play will almost always see me go back to something I know. Nothing makes me more frustrated than spending time trying to figure something out.

Developers and publishers rely way too much on player run wiki's to explain arcane systems and interconnections. Information for most games today, even popular ones, is spotty, out of date, incorrect or simply not there. I guess the days of official wiki's with paid personnel maintaining them are mostly gone.

Anyway, another reason to hold off playing BDO.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I love how many people in here who defend poor design with "oh it is a mystery"...

Poor design is poor design, sure it might make your epeen feel bigger once you master it but defending it would be like having a kitchen knife with sharp needles embedded in the handle. Sure you will feel like a right bad ass when you figure out how to cut your cucumber without bloodletting your self in the process. But most others will just pick the knife that has a regular well-designed handle

Same goes for game design...

This have been a good conversation

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kage71 said:
    Tezcat said:

I really have to agree with you on that one. It seems as if the ugly world of Themepark players is sticking its head up.
    Most people who have never played a Sandbox style MMO are going to be so lost in a game like this it's sad but I got one statement to say to them "welcome to the world of MMOs before the handholding and leading you through era." MMOs didn't always just hold the players hand and lead them through we actually had to find our way by using the ole brain.
    BDO however is a themepark game, although at some point it becomes an OW-FFA PVP game, that does not make it at any time, a sandbox, just saying.
    And yes the level + skill systems might seem to be a bit complicated at first, but tbh, its not that complex and shouldn't take more than a few minutes for people to pick up. :p
  • UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    BDO is in no way a theme park mmo