Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubisoft Fighting Vivendi Takeover

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/ubisoft-turns-to-canadian-investors-to-fend-off-takeover-bid/article28920702/

"Video game publisher Ubisoft Entertainment SA, maker of the Assassin’s Creed series, is seeking the backing of Canadian investors to help fend off a creeping takeover in France from media giant Vivendi SA."

Ubisoft+Activision+Blizzard

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/ubisoft-turns-to-canadian-investors-to-fend-off-takeover-bid/article28920702/

"Video game publisher Ubisoft Entertainment SA, maker of the Assassin’s Creed series, is seeking the backing of Canadian investors to help fend off a creeping takeover in France from media giant Vivendi SA."

Ubisoft+Activision+Blizzard

Perhaps you missed this particular bit of that article
    'the company appears determined to get back into gaming after unloading its stake in industry leader Activision Blizzard.'
    so there would be no Ubisoft+Activision+Blizzard.
    Given Ubi's recent spate of gaming debacles, it might just be that Vivendi is preying on a target it views to be 'exposed' much the same as a shark senses blood in the water from miles away. :p

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Scary deja vu for me and too often.

I was just reading about Vivendi as i was reading about Infogrames another French Giant from back in the days.
    There seems to be a much deeper picture than what we see on the surface.Both Vivendi and Infogrames were known for the same thing,HORRIBLE money spending,Vivendi holding a record for highest stock plummet in one day.

Seems to be a trend over there in France,makes me wonder what is going on and why billionaire businesses are willing to take on huge debts when already in huge debt,it would almost make no sense at all.Is the whole deal behind these corporate giants nothing more than a POWER trip??
    What Vivendi and Infogrames both do/did were buy up many businesses that were in debt,why would you want so many failing businesses?At the same time both losing millions each year.

What else strikes me as odd,is HOW do these businesses secure the money to buy up losing ventures when already losing millions themselves?How do they carry large debts for 10-20 years?It is all mind boggling to me.

As to Ubisoft in Montreal,well Quebec got big into the gaming scene because it offered tax free businesses.So they might be gaining money from taxing the employees and that revenue gets filtered in as well but as far as taxing the business,the government makes nothing from them.Also why would an investor get involved knowing Vivendi might just drop multi millions and get the take over,they would literally be tossing money into VIvendi's coffers with no say in the whole ordeal.The investor/s would have to make sure they own at least 51%,not sure that is even possible.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Torval said:
    @Phry what gaming debacles have they been entangled in recently? They seem to have pretty successful solid franchises.

It seems odd to me that they would have to fend off a takeover. Is Vivendi that financially powerful that it can just gobble up a fairly established game publisher? Is Ubisoft hurting for cash for some reason?
    Ubi is publically traded and this is a fight over controlling shares.