Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO's take on p2p trading revolutionary?

YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
BDO does something I have never seen in an mmo before. It prohibits player to player trading and in the NA/EU version also doesn't allow cash shop items to be sold on the AH. As far as I can see this should make RMT/gold selling almost impossible. By thinking outside the box the devs seem to have solved a problem that has plagued mmos and which until now had seemed impossible to fix. 

The system's downside is that players can't give friends stuff they made, or give friends/guildies money/drops etc which seems to detract from the social aspect of the game; but at the same time it promotes a kind of more stable online society where you can really be rewarded for your efforts and funnels player interaction into other areas.

What do you guys think? If this system basically stamps out gold sellers and all the spam/bots that go with that, is it an idea that can or should be used in other mmos? Would you be as blown away as I am at an mmo which finally solves the gold selling issue? Or is the cure worse than the disease? 

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I find this system to be excellent.
    I for one never take any charity I want to earn everything for myself ingame.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Yeah the positives outweigh the negetives, but ideally I would like this to NOT have to be the way it is. But realistically this is the best solution to a sandbox game like this for sure.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    This was a big point of contention with a lot of people when the game was first announced.  

It does seem to have the upside of preventing gold-selling (and the box price prohibits it).

We'll see if it works.  Gold sellers can probably figure a way around it, like the buyer selling an item for tons of silver on the marketplace.  Buyer gives goldseller real life money and then the goldseller buys the item.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    I would say that removing a splinter stuck in your hand by cutting off your limb is rather stupid than "out-of-the-box" thinking...but up to each own I guess.
  • DraeonDraeon Member CommonPosts: 1
     Gold sellers can probably figure a way around it, like the buyer selling an item for tons of silver on the marketplace.  Buyer gives goldseller real life money and then the goldseller buys the item.

Items have a cap on what they can be sold by on the marketplace per item.   IE my Sword of Powerfullness has a min/max listed on the item of 50,000/150,000. I don't remember if it applies to ALL items in the game, but goldsellers wouldn't even be able to sell cash this way.
    Draeon said:
     Gold sellers can probably figure a way around it, like the buyer selling an item for tons of silver on the marketplace.  Buyer gives goldseller real life money and then the goldseller buys the item.

Items have a cap on what they can be sold by on the marketplace per item.   IE my Sword of Powerfullness has a min/max listed on the item of 50,000/150,000. I don't remember if it applies to ALL items in the game, but goldsellers wouldn't even be able to sell cash this way.
    I'm still willing to bet they'll figure a way around it.  They could for example sell multiples of a crap item for max price.

If there's one thing I've learned playing MMOs all these years, there is basically nothing that can stop goldsellers from operating.
  • ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233
    JDis25 said:
    Yeah the positives outweigh the negetives, but ideally I would like this to NOT have to be the way it is. But realistically this is the best solution to a sandbox game like this for sure.
    BDO is not a sandbox
  • excela69excela69 Member CommonPosts: 12
    force u to give them money straight instead of gold seller - 10/10 i will continue to defend bdo best mmo 2016
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    since when gold seller are such a major problem?
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Draeon said:

I'm still willing to bet they'll figure a way around it.  They could for example sell multiples of a crap item for max price.

If there's one thing I've learned playing MMOs all these years, there is basically nothing that can stop goldsellers from operating.
    I think I read somewhere that you automatically buy the cheapest item listed, so that would fix that.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    DMKano said:
    The reason why this works in Black Desert because there is no player dependence on others like your guildmates providing Mats or gear.

If Black Desert had gameplay where you couldn't solo craft everything and crafters had to specialize and trade with others, no trade system would be disastrous. 

It works because it's solo centric. 

It's also not revolutionary IMO.

The ranged AH prices also prevent free economy again in other games this would be really bad, it works in BD again because it's so solo centric. 

I'm assuming there is no upkeep for owned region cities?  That is a shame if owning a region is just a tax you receive with not much else.  They need to think about player owned cities that can change hands and be partially destructible.  I don't see why they couldn't throw a couple player owned cities out near the outlaw desert areas for people to have a reason to PvP over.  
  • ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Mardukk said:
    DMKano said:
    The reason why this works in Black Desert because there is no player dependence on others like your guildmates providing Mats or gear.

If Black Desert had gameplay where you couldn't solo craft everything and crafters had to specialize and trade with others, no trade system would be disastrous. 

It works because it's solo centric. 

It's also not revolutionary IMO.

The ranged AH prices also prevent free economy again in other games this would be really bad, it works in BD again because it's so solo centric. 

I'm assuming there is no upkeep for owned region cities?  That is a shame if owning a region is just a tax you receive with not much else.  They need to think about player owned cities that can change hands and be partially destructible.  I don't see why they couldn't throw a couple player owned cities out near the outlaw desert areas for people to have a reason to PvP over.  
    FFS because it is NOT a freaking SANDBOX, stop treating it as one
  • odinthor021odinthor021 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Love the idea of the Trading Post concept it fits right in with the total world concept that the game has.
    The drawback is most of us have come to the aid of our friends when they needed something they couldn't get to drop. The good thing is all items in game can be garnered through this system even if it take saving up coins, which is always a good thing.
    since when gold seller are such a major problem?
    ...since pot met a kettle.
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 417
    Gold sellers will buy stolen account info and have a few legit accounts they store their currency on and use the stolen accounts for the actual trade. Riskfree
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Draeon said:

That's exactly why I am so excited to see if it works, and why the idea could have a profound impact on the industry. 

Unless the devs allow some degree of p2p trading like in the Russian version, in theory I can't see how gold sellers could operate.
  • AkesukeAkesuke Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited June 2016
    I'd like to gift items ...
    Post edited by Akesuke on
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Draeon said:

There's no way of knowing who has put the crappy item up for sale for maxed price. If I see that kind of crap up for the highest price possible, I'd drop mine there as well and see if I get lucky :D
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Its a free to play game make account stuff with gold sell account, the end
    YashaX said:
    That's exactly why I am so excited to see if it works, and why the idea could have a profound impact on the industry. 

Unless the devs allow some degree of p2p trading like in the Russian version, in theory I can't see how gold sellers could operate.
    Skyforge does not have any form of player trading whatsoever, yet it has RMT spam...

It has been repeated ad nauseum but people just prefer to rant rather than think - the issue with RMT isn't the impact on in-game economy but account security and as such trading removal does little to help the case.
  • AkesukeAkesuke Member UncommonPosts: 29
    rodarin said:
    friendly reminder : it's buy to play :p
  • tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited February 2016
    It's pretty smart since they have monopoly on  the RMT market this way let's face it this was probably their top reason to implement a system like that in the Asian versions even if it doesn't concern us at least at launch.
    YashaX said:
    Draeon said:

It is interesting.  Clearly they're serious about it and have put some thought into it.  We'll see how it works out.

DMKano is right that the system wouldn't work in an MMO where crafters needed to trade with eachother.  Many MMOs don't require that for trading, however.  I remember leveling up crafts in WoW solo no problem.  Blade and Soul does require trade for it to work.  So it depends on the MMO.

It is a bit weird to prohibit all trading.  Just seems weird that you can't give someone anything.  But then again, Black Desert is all around pretty freaking weird compared to most MMOs.  Who knows maybe it's all genius.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    it's maybe the same system in use in Guild wars 2, the items from the store can't be traded in any way, but at least there is an option to send them as gifts to friends or guildies, is that available in Black desert ?
    There is no way to give anything to another player in game (in the Korean/Japanese version); I am not sure if you can buy something on the cash shop and gift it directly through the online shop to another player.
  • gipfeligipfeli Member UncommonPosts: 98
    rodarin said:
    it's free since when :confused: ?