Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what's the deal with this game? It all seems so insane...

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    laserit said:
    Talonsin said:

laserit said:
    My another Talonsin said:
    Well you know... this kind of Marketing is meant for Monkeys. There does exist a significant percentage of the human population that can see above it.
    Look!  Another tidbit of wisdom from Laserit. 

"That kind of marketing is meant for monkeys". Sure it is and guess what, it still works.  Do you have any evidence that attractive people sell less product than fat-ugly people?  NOPE.  Will sports illustrated start having ulgy chicks in its swimsuit issue? NOPE.

Thanks for stopping by with your "Holier than thou" attitude.

It actually depends on what you're selling. Everything isn't written in stone. The best kind of Marketing is word of mouth.

And you're welcome.
    Another tidbit of wisdom...  "Everything isn't written in stone"

Wow, thanks for that.  Let me give you one...  Man who goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with smelly fingers.  That one is just as helpful and meaningful to the conversation as yours. 

I eagerly await your next morsel of wisdom that neither pertains to the conversation nor makes any kind of relevant point.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Talonsin said:

Do you condemn sports illustrated for having a swim suit issue to sell sports magazines? Have you written them a letter asking them to use fat chicks?
    http://www.elle.com/fashion/news/a33968/swimsuitsforall-swimsexy-campaign-sports-illustrated/

Apparently someone has. And they DO use "fat" and "old" "chicks" ;-)

Stardate: Feb 2016  

Have fun

laserit said:
    The best kind of Marketing is word of mouth.

Maybe you should go tell that to Sports Illustrated so they can save the money and stop creating their swimsuit issue.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    @Talonsin I think you put way to much into my post. I was joking around with you. Never said you were wrong or right just attempted to lighten the mood. 

Also yes CR has made so many statements on this concept demo that is exactly what has created this whole thing.

I wonder what would have happened if CR wouldn't have sent DS money back to him without him asking. If CR would have admitted some things he has done has made the game impossible to make with those ideas. 

Yet we sit here on both sides going back and forth and it was all created by CR. Heck I remember a post long time ago of CR telling people to attack DS. Why would he do that? He should of been the bigger man back then and admit to his wrong directions and ideas.

This has nothing to do with either side being wrong this is all about CR and how he created it.

Bottomline, this is all about CR and the money. That is the only reason he created this mess and changing what people actually thought they bought in for.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Talonsin said:
    laserit said:
    Talonsin said:

laserit said:
    My another Talonsin said:
    Well you know... this kind of Marketing is meant for Monkeys. There does exist a significant percentage of the human population that can see above it.
    Look!  Another tidbit of wisdom from Laserit. 

"That kind of marketing is meant for monkeys". Sure it is and guess what, it still works.  Do you have any evidence that attractive people sell less product than fat-ugly people?  NOPE.  Will sports illustrated start having ulgy chicks in its swimsuit issue? NOPE.

Thanks for stopping by with your "Holier than thou" attitude.

It actually depends on what you're selling. Everything isn't written in stone. The best kind of Marketing is word of mouth.

And you're welcome.
    Another tidbit of wisdom...  "Everything isn't written in stone"

Wow, thanks for that.  Let me give you one...  Man who goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with smelly fingers.  That one is just as helpful and meaningful to the conversation as yours. 

I eagerly await your next morsel of wisdom that neither pertains to the conversation nor makes any kind of relevant point.
    Chillax.... Have a cool one.

You're the one talking Marketing and my comments are totally relevant.

By the way... That itchy bum stinky finger thing, use to be tagged under my avatar. Nice to see it rubbed off on you.

There isn't anything Holy about common sense.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Do you condemn sports illustrated for having a swim suit issue to sell sports magazines? Have you written them a letter asking them to use fat chicks?
    http://www.elle.com/fashion/news/a33968/swimsuitsforall-swimsexy-campaign-sports-illustrated/

Apparently someone has. And they DO use "fat" and "old" "chicks" ;-)

LOL,  that is awesome!

On a side note, I would do every one of those models pictured.  That 56 year old looks incredible for her age.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Talonsin said:
    Open your eyes. These guys are obviously not able to fulfill basic human functions like eating normally. They can't take care of themselves and you expect them to manage $100M?
    There is a bit of truth to that.  If you look at videos of Chris Roberts back in 2012 when he first started asking for money, he was much thinner.  If you look at the TWC video below of Chris walking down the hall at 6 seconds in, he looks terrible compared to 2012.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF19jYDzwqk

Ben is a whole different story.  How that guy got picked to be the front man for PR videos is beyond me.
    Actually when Ben was hired he was 100 lbs smaller.  So he was within reasonable standards for an overweight person.  I don't think anyone is judging anyone for being overweight.  But grossly overweight is a problem to everyone including that person.  But like I said before these people aren't really driving force for the company they are employees.  Really we need to be carefull if CIG see's this thread they will spend 10 million on personal trainers and build a gym.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Brenics said:
    @Talonsin I think you put way to much into my post. I was joking around with you. Never said you were wrong or right just attempted to lighten the mood. 

Also yes CR has made so many statements on this concept demo that is exactly what has created this whole thing.

I wonder what would have happened if CR wouldn't have sent DS money back to him without him asking. If CR would have admitted some things he has done has made the game impossible to make with those ideas. 

Yet we sit here on both sides going back and forth and it was all created by CR. Heck I remember a post long time ago of CR telling people to attack DS. Why would he do that? He should of been the bigger man back then and admit to his wrong directions and ideas.

This has nothing to do with either side being wrong this is all about CR and how he created it.

Bottomline, this is all about CR and the money. That is the only reason he created this mess and changing what people actually thought they bought in for.

It's not about CR, though. The problem is that you seem to have a hard-on for CR for some reason. He is one person. 

1) Yes, CR made a pitch video for his KS Campaign. However, I never believed that I would be transported into the game, physically, because he was dressed like some futuristic space man. 
    2) Yes, CR made estimates, and re-estimates, and re-estimates. Yes, he should know better than that. However, I think he's probably be told that more than anyone else in the history of mankind at this point (speculative, but could be true).
    3) Yes, YOU'RE bottom line is all about CR and the money. However, I think that you're generalizing by saying that's the main concern of the majority. Also, I think you're stretching by asserting what CR's motivations are. Please, please, please, if you have emails of CR's indicating his motivations that support your beliefs, feel free. However, anything else is just highly speculative. If you believe that he specifically created this vision as a means of parting people with their money, google the original vision for Freelancer. SC is very reflective of that. 

As far as DS goes, it appears we've reached 1 in this thread. Anyway, why do you feel it's inappropriate for CR to encourage people to attack DS? Are you suggesting that DS didn't encourage people to attack CR? If nothing else, I would say that DS cast the first stone. He's the one who started suggesting that people should contact the FTC. He's the one who fabricated theoretical, but not proven, limitations. Show me where the SC debate was as heated as it is today prior to DS' article. Oh, and DS has the gall to dox people and/or tell them to stop attacking his employees because they're just trying to support their families, lol. Sorry, but I do love the sell of karma eating hypocrites in the morning.   

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    CrazKanuk said:
    Brenics said:

As far as DS goes, it appears we've reached 1 in this thread. Anyway, why do you feel it's inappropriate for CR to encourage people to attack DS? Are you suggesting that DS didn't encourage people to attack CR? If nothing else, I would say that DS cast the first stone. He's the one who started suggesting that people should contact the FTC. He's the one who fabricated theoretical, but not proven, limitations. Show me where the SC debate was as heated as it is today prior to DS' article. Oh, and DS has the gall to dox people and/or tell them to stop attacking his employees because they're just trying to support their families, lol. Sorry, but I do love the sell of karma eating hypocrites in the morning.   

So you are saying DS attacked CR first by telling people to get refunds? You can't even get the facts straight. So really no sense in debating with you. 

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Brenics said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Brenics said:

So you are saying DS attacked CR first by telling people to get refunds? You can't even get the facts straight. So really no sense in debating with you. 

And you are getting facts straight? Please stay honest. How all this drama started has been demonstrated to you many times but you are hardcore resistant. 

Also did CrazKanuk nowhere stated that it started with the refund thing. Refund and FTC are not the same. Part of how it started was indeed DS effort to initiate a FTC complaint so that CIG has to open their books. For some time you were always stating the accountability argument. What DS true intentions were was also demonstrated many times to you.

And as always instead of responding to the whole post you just do cherry picking. 

Please Brenics (lost count on how many times I said please to you)... educate yourself properly about how the drama started and what the true intentions of attacker were.
  • TimWilsonTimWilson Member CommonPosts: 4
    This game is Darkfall all over again....An elitist fan base with an elitist company and it will produce a mediocre game guaranteed.
    Honestly in terms of a community stand point I can only say that Darkfall was never this bad, ever.  Yes the game had its critics and those critics had some points, but say what you want in the end want to know what silences critics? Finishing a product and then improving on it with subsequent patches. Granted that Darkfall was not an undertaking quite as massive as what Chris Roberts is claiming to do / trying to do, that said it accomplished what it set out to do and as a Darkfall 1 early tester (I was playing on the EU server since they had no NA server) I can say they were successful in releasing a pretty fun skill based PvP MMO. The problem Star Citizen has is this: they were given a huge sum of money, I mean its over like 100 million I think (I don't follow SC that closely its probably a lot higher than that) to make a game that sounds pretty sweet, even though I am not a huge space MMO fan. But in my opinion it appears the game has been mismanaged and the SC team have really shot themselves in the foot by hyping the crap out of this (that is something you never saw from Aventurine the people who made the original Darkfall) without releasing anything hype worthy yet. The best way to tell these toxic people to be quiet is to deliver on something you said you would...whether it be a really sweet finished module or an awesome feature for people to actually play.  Also with the kind of money the SC team should have left and continues to rake in....they shouldn't give out any dates at all until whatever they are working on will actually be ready at the date they announce.

The problem Star Citizen and Darkfall both suffered from is this: unless you are a proven gaming giant like Valve or Blizzard or another company that is liked immensely and has delivered widely popular games previously, you need to release your game and if you choose to tell people you will release it when it is done then don't even mention dates.  Unfortunately for Star Citizen they have already given dates/windows and since they are not Valve or Blizzard whose general attitude on things is "when its done its done and we will release it only at that time" they don't get a free pass and people want to know why they are missing those deadlines.  And by free pass I mean you will rarely find a large number of people questioning Blizzard about when the game is going to release because people know they takes their sweet time in order to make pretty awesome games and ensure the product is delivered in a very playable and good state.  Same can be said about Valve.  Star Citizen had enough money that they should have never had to give a date until whatever they were working on was basically ready to launch. But since they did now people want to know...hey you missed the launch date of X feature in Star Citizen and I want to know why! That is when the speculation starts swirling.  Darkfall on the other hand probably had almost no money and they went ahead and launched their product knowing it was fairly buggy but they didn't abandon it, they fixed a lot of the major bugs and it ended up being fine despite no longer being around.

On the topic of elitist developers, I completely agree although it looks like Star Citizens team is shaping up to be worse. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    as someone outside looking in with absolutely no interest at all in this game what so ever other than the posts here defending the game and attacking it this all reminds me of the bigger picture.

Companies like steam early access and kickstarter have way to little of rulesets governing their programs from potential fraud and liability for consumers.  They both serve a great deed for communities to allow indie dev teams who do not have the money or resources to produce games that we all can be a part of backing and getting games we want. But on the flip side of this especially from the steam early access part - most of their EA games are still sitting in early access alpha for years without any real progress made but a couple of small hot fixes or features added milking every dime they can out of potential customers. I can give you plenty of examples of this look up games like starforge the dead linger under the ocean etc.

If this game does succeed more power to them but I think its also going to open up many doors for potential fraud to as other would-be indie groups see this game as a success by taking millions and millions of dollars from backers then taking years to make them game basically milking their player-base until they literally have no choice to release or be held accountable. I think while EA and kickstarter are great things they REALLY need to regulate it more forcing the teams that use them as funding their projects to actually step up and make something first on a smaller scale to prove to the potential backers that they are dead serious about making a working game and not just a quick buck.
  • SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Quintessence of all this is that CIG needs to deliver... no point arguing against this undeniable fact. 

In in my opinion they already delivered some representative parts of what they game will be in the end, see SC Alpha... independent on how content filled it is (missing things like trading, system travel [through jumppoints/wormholes], harvesting, NPCs, etc. pp.). 

We have some new tech like physic grids, 64bit allocation, seamless flying/fps... the so called impossible things called out by some have been proven wrong. And CIG is delivering patch after patch which clearly shows progress which also can be seen in the big amount of videos (ATV, 10fortheXY, etc.)

In the end we need to give CIG time considering the scope of the whole universe they try to create. We are now in year 4 and in comparison with other games with similar scope (which I find hard to compare) we should wait patiently until end of 2016. I am still convinced that by then we will have much more content and things to do.

Nevertheless CIG are in a tight spot. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    This game is Darkfall all over again....An elitist fan base with an elitist company and it will produce a mediocre game guaranteed.
    One very big difference, Aventurine was always starved for cash, this title has an endless supply of it apparently.

Nah, you are right, likely to be mediocre regardless.

:p 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TimWilsonTimWilson Member CommonPosts: 4
    cronius77 said:
    as someone outside looking in with absolutely no interest at all in this game what so ever other than the posts here defending the game and attacking it this all reminds me of the bigger picture.

Companies like steam early access and kickstarter have way to little of rulesets governing their programs from potential fraud and liability for consumers.  They both serve a great deed for communities to allow indie dev teams who do not have the money or resources to produce games that we all can be a part of backing and getting games we want. But on the flip side of this especially from the steam early access part - most of their EA games are still sitting in early access alpha for years without any real progress made but a couple of small hot fixes or features added milking every dime they can out of potential customers. I can give you plenty of examples of this look up games like starforge the dead linger under the ocean etc.

If this game does succeed more power to them but I think its also going to open up many doors for potential fraud to as other would-be indie groups see this game as a success by taking millions and millions of dollars from backers then taking years to make them game basically milking their player-base until they literally have no choice to release or be held accountable. I think while EA and kickstarter are great things they REALLY need to regulate it more forcing the teams that use them as funding their projects to actually step up and make something first on a smaller scale to prove to the potential backers that they are dead serious about making a working game and not just a quick buck.
    This this and more this. Early Access and Kickstarter are quite honestly destroying PC gaming, if you enjoy indie games consoles are probably the way to go since if they are going to be on console it means they have to have a competent product that will be updated and playable.  I realize I just said that consoles are the way to go but face it, hes right. Unless your EA game is a massive success sales wise they will just nickel and dime and milk their customers to death, only to never update or finish the game its a damn shame.  That said a few have done quite well, Kerbal Space Program, Rust, and Shroud of the Avatar.  That said Shroud of the Avatar has Richard Garriot behind it so you know it won't just sit in EA.  Kickstarter is a whole other animal because on Kickstarter there is no guarantee your game is even going to be released.  Star Citizen will release...though how quickly and how good the game is remains to be seen but one thing is for sure....they are milking those whales, no one can deny that.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    edited February 2016
    TimWilson said:
    Unless your EA game is a massive success sales wise they will just nickel and dime and milk their customers to death, only to never update or finish the game its a damn shame
    TimWilson said:
    Kickstarter is a whole other animal because on Kickstarter there is no guarantee your game is even going to be released. 
    Er.....we have a problem Houston.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I have to admit I've been following this game and hype/hate surrounding it for awhile now and I still don't really get either of them myself. I can't understand anyone throwing away the vast sums of cash that they do on virtual goods, some yet to even be modeled, in the hopes of securing the chance for what I can only describe as "Another Fucking Video Game" being made. And at the same time I can't understand the psychotic fervor some have to endlessly demonize "Another Fucking Video Game" to the point where doing so becomes a career.

On the whole though I also through the years didn't get what was so great about Tamagotchis, Pogs, Beanie Babies, Hackey Sacks, Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Dolls, the cinnamon challenge, break dancing, Tickle Me Elmo, boy bands, or the Macarena, etc. I imagine if I'd been a few years older, and spoke English at the time, I would have been just as baffled by Beatlemania.

I guess all people like you or I can do is grab some peanuts and enjoy the resulting stupefying circus of insanity along with all the other little monkeys, laughing our shrill little monkey laughs of derision, and occasionally throwing our own feces into the mix.

To be fair, we are talking about a fraction of 1% of people "throwing away" this type of money. Yes, I can say that with some confidence since you really just need to spin up the numbers to realize that if the average spend per user is $100, anything above that increases the average. I believe that the last time I found good Whale stats it was something like 0.15% of the population of paying players. So that would equate to like 1500 players here. If they each spent the crazy $30k or whatever, that would amount to nearly half of the funding of SC. That would mean everyone else's average all of a sudden drops to the $50ish dollar mark. So we're back in the ballpark of new game prices. Then the conversation really, should, just revolve around whether paying full price for a KS game (that may or may not be made) is worthwhile. 

Here's a great way to look at it, for perspective. Even if you didn't "get it" we all knew someone growing up who had like the entire set of star wars action figures, WITH carrying case, AT-AT and Millenium Falcon. What did you have? Oh, like 3..... plus a Han Solo that was half melted because the electric baseboard heaters were the carbonite chamber. So you/your parents probably paid 0.5% the amount that his parents did. Why? Cuz you don't need that many effing Star Wars action figures! Same goes for GI Joe or My Little Pony, or whatever your vice is. 

Now, I know that someone's going to say "but I got to touch those", to which I say "where are they now?" Hey, I understand that it's not delivered yet. I can sympathize that I most people can't grasp spending that sort of money on something that you can't play immediately or that may not even materialize. However, the argument for virtual goods is moot because I know that there are probably less than 1% of people who still have one of their Star Wars action figures, let alone a whole collection. So, in the end, they may as well have been JPEGs, I guess. There's really no difference. That is unless you stick them up your nose, in which case, my mom told me that little Bobby Hutchins got one stuck up there and they had to have surgeries to take it out. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Their single player, squadron 42, seems likes its a sure thing, and the online version will be a work in progress when it releases as with a lot of MMOs.

THere might even be different release dates for 'both' games as they are treated now.

The only downside in the future is that 'expansions' of the game will use the same level of graphics compared to new single player games which normally 2-3 years later have a more recent engine and more up to date graphics. Other than that its the benefits of both worlds with more single player updates as could be expeted rather than 2-3 years.

I am not really a big follower of the game, but based on the first statement I am making assumptions.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I live and die by a saying "If it sounds to good to be true than it most likely is".  This game will never be launched or if and when it does  launch, it will be with half the features they promised.  They do not have a game engine that can do all the things they are stating they are adding.  If they are building it then you should have this in 2020.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    CrazKanuk said:
    [...]
    Yes, I can say that with some confidence since you really just need to spin up the numbers to realize that if the average spend per user is $100, anything above that increases the average. 
    [...]

At the moment the average spent per ship-hull is $116.69 ($109,093,857 / 934,893 ships sold).

You cannot imply any numbers on average spent per user on this base regarding SC.
    (but I give you a hint, it's more than $116)

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

At the moment the average spent per ship-hull is $116.69 ($109,093,857 / 934,893 ships sold).

You cannot imply any numbers on average spent per user on this base regarding SC.
    Pretty sure I only spent £25 so that bumps up the average for the rest of the numbers right away!

Pretty sure I only spent £25 so that bumps up the average for the rest of the numbers right away!
    Good decision, Sir. Unfortunately you don't understand game development algebra.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

Good decision, Sir. Unfortunately you don't understand game development algebra.
    That might be true but I do have a sense of humor. 

I'm native german.

The cake is a lie.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I'm native german.
    No one is perfect.

Have fun