Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there anything Blizz could do to bring you back?

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited March 2016

cronius77 said:
    goboygo said:
    laserit said:
    Nope

There are newer games that satisfy my MMORPG itch. Blizzard taught me that paying them a sub was a ripoff.

How is paying .49 cents a day for something you could theoretically play all day a "rip off"?

Do you work in a rice paddy somewhere for 5 bucks a month?

agree with this while i do not find wow all that entertaining anymore the paying a sub argument here just makes me think there is nothing but a bunch of jobless losers that frequent this site.
    Never played a F2P in my life and I'm the type of loser that employs 32 people. Whether you believe that or not... I could really give a flying fuck.

edit: guess I have played a F2P as I use to play Vanguard although I had an all access sub.
    Post edited by laserit on

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Very few people actually spend no money in f2p games, imo.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MoparMopar Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Maybe if it went f2p with no pay walls, but unlikely.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Legion will bring me back. Maybe even the pre-patch. I already pre-ordered, 'cause I'm a slave to the machine. 
    laserit said:
    goboygo said:
    laserit said:
    Nope

There are newer games that satisfy my MMORPG itch. Blizzard taught me that paying them a sub was a ripoff.

How is paying .49 cents a day for something you could theoretically play all day a "rip off"?

Na no rice patties for me funny guy.

Nothing is for free in this world. I expect something in return for my money.  Never been the blind fanboi type. 

This comment seemed to be way off the mark. "Nothing is free", of course, that's why he's talking about paying. "I expect something in return for my money", of course, which is why you'd be able to play the game in exchange for money. Did you used to just sub and not play the game or something?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Yeah, if they formatted their next expansion to be more like Vanilla and early TBC.
    But I am in a minority there.
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I cant see me ever playing this again unless they go back closer to vanilla play style. Make people work for their levels and gear. they should never of messed with the pvp titles. let people choose what skills they want like it used to be. remove the group finders so that people actually have to work together again which would fix the community and guilds. bring it back to a harder play style instead of the 5 button mash it is now. There is a reason why most of the original dev team left the studio the did not like what blizzard was doing to there game it went from semi difficult to easy mode. Already wasted money on the last 3 expansions hoping they would make it better but they went even worst. They are just lucky no one has made a excellent mmo in a long time there have been some ok ones but none that have shined .
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Free BJ's
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Ghavrigg said:
    laserit said:
    goboygo said:
    laserit said:
    Nope

Nothing is for free in this world. I expect something in return for my money.  Never been the blind fanboi type. 

This comment seemed to be way off the mark. "Nothing is free", of course, that's why he's talking about paying. "I expect something in return for my money", of course, which is why you'd be able to play the game in exchange for money. Did you used to just sub and not play the game or something?
    Yes I used to sub to WoW, I use to sub for 3 of my 4 kids along with myself. Back in the good ole days when WoW use to gross over a billion a year they actually use to at least add some content every 3 or 4 months. Now since they have fallen on hard times only bringing in a paltry few hundred million a year, They've needed to bring in a cash shop and raise their expansion price to that of a full price game.  You're lucky to get  maybe two content patches in between Xpacs.

We're all entitled to our opinions and in my opinion $15 a month for a noob player might be a decent value since everything is new for them. But for someone who's paid and played for years. $15 a month is a little steep to play the same recycled content over and over and over. 

$15 a month just for access? IMHO the game just ain't good enough for that anymore.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Nayr752 said:
    I loved Vanilla World of Warcraft, it was a ton of fun until the expansions came in and changed it with the LFG/LFR tool. I'm pretty much done with WoW, its not fun anymore like it use to be.
    Because standing in Ironforge spamming LFG for two hours just to have a chance to see the content was awesome, right? 

I do think making it cross-server was a mistake, as well as having it teleport you to the dungeon. I wouldn't mind seeing those features removed, but LFG / LFR is fantastic. 

As for bringing me back, give me housing. Honest to God, actual housing. Just throw a mansion in my garrison somewhere. Give me multiple styles to choose from, and multiple layouts. Give me tons of stuff to put in it. Give me an entire museum wing to display trophies from the foes I've slain. Give me dummies to mount my cosmetic armor sets on, and racks to display my collection of weapons. Give me an expandable stable to store and display my mounts and battle pets. Have housing upgrades and expansions be account wide, but allow different layouts for every character. 

In short, give me a small piece of the world I can actually make my own, a place which is used for something other than a fancy masque for a bunch of casual Facebook / mobile games. And for God's sake, move the damn farm from Pandaria to somewhere close by. It's patently ridiculous to keep it all the way out in a continent nobody cares about anymore. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Lazzaro said:
    This is for people who have quit over the years, so if you're playing this isn't for ya. :awesome: 

For me it's simple, take out the LFG/LFR tool instaport to dungeon or give me a PvP server w/o this feature.  I honestly think this is the reason WOW has lost it's sense of community and the socialization.  I don't care if there is a tool that puts you in a group, but the BOOM you're in the instance kills any sort of world discovery or open world PvP on the PvP servers.  I just want that feel of the world being populated and not people just sitting in town and pressing the LFG button.  

While that is not even remotely close to the reasons why i play wow (lore), i totally agree with you here. I dont mind if the LFG is there to find me a group, but instant teleport to dungeons was put in place to please lazy people and i would love if they remove that and makes everyone travel manually to dungeons. People really cant be that lazy.

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Make WoW great again. B)
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I'll probably buy the next expansion when it goes half off.  I'm unlikely to buy it before then.  Going F2P would be their best bet at getting me back.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    laserit said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    laserit said:
    goboygo said:
    laserit said:
    Snip

Yes I used to sub to WoW, I use to sub for 3 of my 4 kids along with myself. Back in the good ole days when WoW use to gross over a billion a year they actually use to at least add some content every 3 or 4 months. Now since they have fallen on hard times only bringing in a paltry few hundred million a year, They've needed to bring in a cash shop and raise their expansion price to that of a full price game.  You're lucky to get  maybe two content patches in between Xpacs.

We're all entitled to our opinions and in my opinion $15 a month for a noob player might be a decent value since everything is new for them. But for someone who's paid and played for years. $15 a month is a little steep to play the same recycled content over and over and over.

Snip.

It's as Laserit says:

There are those who pre-order no matter what, buy a $150 collectors edition for "iconic" swag on characters that were just created, and receive a game that is half finished, full of bugs and broken promises.  False advertisements.  Etc.

Then there are those who are what some would call intelligent consumerists, who know the value of a dollar and will not bend over to shady practices.  Who will not defend these "poor" multi-billion dollar game companies because they have fanboys or feelings.  There is a market out there that is competitive, and if they use their fans or patrons as ATMs for too long -- especially if competition gets tighter -- then they must adapt and change.  Many who are businessmen themselves know this well, as it is a principle of running a business.  Of acquiring a loyal customer base for many services. 

Gaming is unique in that hype and pre-order sells because there are more "sheep" than scholars, in many ways.  We're led to believe we *need* something.  That we're not a part of the "in" crowd when we don't pre-order what everyone is talking about.  What false promises and videos have been made, only to be half of what they were shown at release.  We let pretty words like "collector's" or "iconic" or "limited edition" cloud our judgement as a whole.  Marketing is all about exploiting stupidity, if I am to speak bluntly and in general about the gaming audience as a whole.

When it comes to the unique beast that is an MMO (and to a lesser extent, MOBAs), it's mainly been the first that was main-stream popular that kept the crowd irregardless of quality or costs.  World of Warcraft -- something this thread is about -- set the premium price of $15 a month when other games (such as UO) $9.99.  Many said this was due to the costs of building the game, the staff and the bandwidth.  The first and the latter were probably true with Vanilla, though time and technology change.  The price of a box helps cover the development of the game, and the acquisition of servers.  Though patched content is the main thing you pay for -- for that staff to actually do something (bandwidth costs are astronomically low nowadays, and have been for a very long time). 

$180 + 50 expansions (not counting the cash shop they put in game for simplicity sake) for a year's worth of access to a game they stop supporting for half of its life-cycle.  12-15 months of drought of no content, because the staff you're paying is too busy working on the next expansion to make the company more money.  Pretty much only updating the in-game cash shop with 90 boosts, 100 boosts, pets, services and bi-monthly mounts.  You could literally buy 46 full-fledged (oft AAA) games for that amount of money on steam during each of their seasonal sales.  Or, you could spend all your time in a garrison taking selfie pictures with that amazing 6.1. patch.  With a different option being supporting a game and developer that does offer frequent patches. 

Someone may consider it a privilege to be able to access a 12 year old game that doesn't support its own expansions for only a scant $380 for the duration of that expansion's life (let's say, averaging 22 months) before being sold a new one, but I'm sure you can see that such a thing is folly in the eyes of a consumerist who wants results.  If you're a boss, you certainly want your employees working for you when you pay them.  Not stealing from under your nose, taking naps for five hours a day while still clocked in or working another job while still clocked in with your own business (such as working on the next expansion to sell you instead of supporting the product you're paying for in MMO terms).

You're the customer.  You're the boss.  They can choose not to listen to you.  You may retract your money from their business.  General thought processes as "if we don't enable them, they won't make more stuff" is a fallacy, as they make money by making more stuff.  They make even more money from suckers who don't call them out on it.  Blizzard is good at keeping their games updated when it comes to their other franchises; they even recently hired new teams to bring the highest resolution to old games to new operating systems.  Though when it comes to WoW players -- and with most MMOs -- we're just ATM machines, especially when they don't even have to try anymore because millions will buy anyway and not see the big picture when calling others "jobless" when they advocate the value of money.

It's okay to be considered an ATM machine by the higher ups of a company; it's their job, and they get paid to bring in the money.  But ultimately it's the customers that decide how it is best to make that money if they say "no, we will not do this" vs.  "Let's support them, it's only chump change" -- which isn't the point of values and integrity.  It's we who decide if we like being seen as fans and treated as valued customers versus just throwing money out the window and being given dog crap while being told to shut up and like it by not just the producers, but the legions of rabid fans who want their broken game they already paid for fixed.  Because developing is hard, and testing is expensive and we shouldn't expect AAA billion dollar corporations to pay for such superfluous things.  Let's just let them make a DLC to sell is that will fix it.  Or let a modder spend under an hour to fix what they couldn't be arsed to do.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Vanilla RP/PvP server,instant sub.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

PAL-18 said:
    Vanilla RP/PvP server,instant sub.
    I bet you'd play a Paladin. Drop a mahfucka in 30 minutes or more, guaranteed.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    When Blizzard introduced Pandaria, I wonder whether Blizzard intended WoW to appeal to a younger audience.

Maybe they created Hearthstone for older WoW players to 'graduate' on to?

Maybe Blizzard are not trying to get old players back?

It could be that Blizzard will use the Warcraft film to attract children - not adults.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    I'll probably play Legion, who am I kidding?

If they added gamepad support, like officially, and play WoW on my Surface streamed over the WiFi network to my XB1 on my big screen, that would be cool as shit.

Hell, a console version of WoW like they did for Diablo 3, which improved the game overall & significantly, would be amazing.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    No. My preferences changed and WoW can no longer offer me anything.

I mainly came here to laugh at people who say vanilla WoW was good though.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I'll probably buy the next expansion when it goes half off.  I'm unlikely to buy it before then.  Going F2P would be their best bet at getting me back.
    Doubtful there will be any discounts on Legion until we're in the next drought during Legion. Kinda like what they did recently with WoD.
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Well they actually just got me to log in and level a new character to 20 for that lady liadrin hearthstone skin, that was really fun.......

I'm sure they can keep doing cross promotions to get people to play wow.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    deniter said:
    - Remove all QoL features altogether (LFG/R, AoE loot, CRZ, heirlooms, etc.)
    - Go back to non-linear quest design and restore all dungeon and raid quests to open world as they were before. Restore all group quests and improve rewards for completing them.
    - Re-release WoW starting from vanilla, and fix all classes,specs, and quest lines as they were suppose to be in launch back in 2004.
    -  Have a look at crafting and make it more worthwhile for the whole range of leveling experience.
    - Remove PvP gear from the game, or make it usable only in BG's and arenas.
    - Make fun of, castrate, and throw to street all the miserable human beings who thought it was a good idea to make everything accessible and easy for small kids, their grandmothers, and their dogs. Begin every day at work by laughing at them, their relatives, families, ancestors, their ancestors, and so on.
    - Give me a chance once again to pay for the best MMO game i've ever played in my life.
    I agree with everything here save 1 thing.  AoE Loot.  Other than that he is 100% right.  

For all those people who say Vanilla WOW is a wet dream or we had a chance with Wildstar and its dying.  You are correct to a point.  What hurt Wildstar which I didnt play because action combat and will never play an Action Combat MMO, is the cartoon graphics, the 500 Million that was spend on making the game for a smaller group of MMO players not todays ME ME ME player, The grind for 20 man raids just to do 40 man raids.

If Vanilla WOW was re-released today things that can help out the game that would make it successful goes has follows.  

• A better Raid\Group browser tool, no today's LFD tool bot something like FFXIV's Duty Finder tool
    • Make ZG\QA(20) a 10 man raid, Make MC and the 40 man raids a 20 man raid.  
    • Have less trash in between bosses but keep the team work requirement the same.  This will keep players from having to raid 6 hours a night 3 days a week like we did
    • Do not have trash re-spawn for 4 hours this will keep people focused on boss progression 
    • Allow players when they zone into an already started raid to be teleported to the last boss killed (There is no reason to have players run through the raid again just because when bosses are already dead)
    • In the Vanilla 5 mans reduce the amount of trash pulls but keep them where you need to focus fire and CC.  This will reduce instances from 3+ hours to around 90 minutes.  Be more boss kill focused and trash that maters to focus on team work and player's using different abilities than just PEW PEW to win.
    • Have different ways to do fraction grinds that will allow players to have different play styles.  Like allow players to craft items to game reputation, or Dungeons or Raids, or Quest or PVP.
    • To help where players dont go back to an old dungeon after they out level them either use SWTORs Flashpoint system where all Instances are 1 level and you scale up in level so they do not be come obsolete, or a sync System like FFXIV where players sync down to the level.  Also have a 2 or 3 weekly quest that a person can do that will give a large amount of XP for people who are leveling to push people to do instances
    • Increase the amount of XP gained from running an instance successfully 
    • Make larger loot pools for bosses instances and share the drops between instances this way people dont do 1 instance 50 times for a tanking weapon
    • Do Featured guilds from each server and news about who they are to WOW overall and what they mean to the WOW universe.  This should not include the large guilds that are the ESport raid guilds, these should be smaller family guild that chew through content at a slower rate, the 25 percentile to the 75 percentile guilds
    • Features for guilds that are smaller than 50 or so members where if they are active like they do 3 dungeons during the week, Kill 4 raid bosses their members can buy cheap XP potions that are BOA for these players.  Or even Rep Potions.  This is to focus on making WOW less drama filled and more player focused because Large guilds focused only on raid progression will always have members.  The smaller guilds help bring new players into WOW and teach new players how to be a part of the world

These are things that WOW can do to bring the old school time grind into a bit better focus for todays old school Vanilla WOW players who do not have 3+ hours a night.   It also focused on bringing back the Social side of WOW.  

The problem is Developers today are too money focused and not focused on what really will make them money.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Lazzaro said:
    This is for people who have quit over the years, so if you're playing this isn't for ya. :awesome: 

For me it's simple, take out the LFG/LFR tool instaport to dungeon or give me a PvP server w/o this feature.  I honestly think this is the reason WOW has lost it's sense of community and the socialization.  I don't care if there is a tool that puts you in a group, but the BOOM you're in the instance kills any sort of world discovery or open world PvP on the PvP servers.  I just want that feel of the world being populated and not people just sitting in town and pressing the LFG button.  

Definitely not removing the LFG/LFR tool.  Manually traveling anywhere in WoW would make me puke a little in my mouth I think.  See the uproar over the removal of flight in Draenor?  Now try it with grouping tools HAHAHAHA.  Game would be dead in 3 months.
    Phoenixfire2, 

You and a few hundred wow forum trolls would think so.  Yet if WOW got rid of the LFD/LFR tool and the raids, and went back to more of a CC, and focused fire dungeon system like was in vanilla WOW (Maybe with a bit less trash and dungeons that took maybe 90 minutes on the high end and 45 minutes on the low end) I know I would be back.  If I come back so would over 2 dozen of my friends, and then their friends.  This forum is littered with people who want that and who know more people who want that.  Hell how many Millions quit because of the LFD/LFR tools?  It would be a lot better not the doom and gloom you say.  
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    danwest58 said:
    Lazzaro said:

Definitely not removing the LFG/LFR tool.  Manually traveling anywhere in WoW would make me puke a little in my mouth I think.  See the uproar over the removal of flight in Draenor?  Now try it with grouping tools HAHAHAHA.  Game would be dead in 3 months.
    Phoenixfire2, 

You and a few hundred wow forum trolls would think so.  Yet if WOW got rid of the LFD/LFR tool and the raids, and went back to more of a CC, and focused fire dungeon system like was in vanilla WOW (Maybe with a bit less trash and dungeons that took maybe 90 minutes on the high end and 45 minutes on the low end) I know I would be back.  If I come back so would over 2 dozen of my friends, and then their friends.  This forum is littered with people who want that and who know more people who want that.  Hell how many Millions quit because of the LFD/LFR tools?  It would be a lot better not the doom and gloom you say.  

Ok, so there are a couple things. First of all, I have to disagree about these mythical swarms of people you claim would come flooding back to WoW. It quite simply wouldn't happen. I would even go as far as to say that the majority of those, like you, who say they WOULD come back, wouldn't. 

Honestly, I'd love for them to set up new servers specifically for this reason. I do see dozens of people on these forums advocating for these types of games, and those dozens of people might actually play those games. However, you're talking like these dozens of people are representative of a collective of millions. Shit, take a look at some of the recent "old school" kickstarter campaigns. They tend to perform horribly. Another great example is SWGEMU. With all the bitching and whining people do on this site, even after SWGEMU became part of/endorsed by Daybreak Games, they still show peak users of less than 1000. 

I'm not saying that some people wouldn't come back, but I think that you're grossly misrepresenting the numbers. Actually, I'd say it's unrealistic.

Ideally, I'd love to see them offer a wide variety of server configurations so everyone can be happy. I think the biggest problem with that would be server populations, but I'd still like to see how it works. 

Personally, I don't mind the LFG/LFR. The biggest issue I see is that there really isn't any group content. Removing LFG/LFR is like a band-aid solution. It's addressing the symptom of a lack of reasons to leave major cities. Give people a reason to get out of the cities and they will. 

Secondly, I'd love my skill tree back. 

Third, I want my crafting back. I know it was shallow before, but WoD was horrible. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NeverForgetLoveNeverForgetLove Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Sure, there is.

All they have to do is stop making these dumbed-down expansions and patches so kids, retards and even brain-dead people can play it by facerolling their keyboard and start overwriting all the BS they produced by actually demanding game mechanics again.

But that won't happen.