Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If $699 wasn't good enough for VR

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    AutoCAD licenses cost 5 figures. Professional grade GPUs cost four-five figures. Solidworks is a solid four figures. 

For industry, where you are doing production work with equipment for profit, a ROI can be calculated for a piece of software or a peripheral. It's a much different financial equation for most people than something for entertainment purposes.

Also, 276 VR games by the end of the year. How many of those will be crap? The Windows 10 store, in the "Music Games" category alone has more games available. Does that mean Windows Music Games are great and are going to change the world too? Or is that an invalid argument because they aren't all tied to a $600+ piece of hardware as well?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited February 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    AutoCAD licenses cost 5 figures. Professional grade GPUs cost four-five figures. Solidworks is a solid four figures. 

For industry, where you are doing production work with equipment for profit, a ROI can be calculated for a piece of software or a peripheral. It's a much different financial equation for most people than something for entertainment purposes.

Also, 276 VR games by the end of the year. How many of those will be crap? The Windows 10 store, in the "Music Games" category alone has more games available. Does that mean Windows Music Games are great and are going to change the world too? Or is that an invalid argument because they aren't all tied to a $600+ piece of hardware as well?
    so you are saying that the advantages of VR in a 3d modeling system is soooo good that it justfies that kind of price tag for just that.

It must be pretty friggin amazing

to be able to hold a 3d object and to move it around and change it makes total sense in 3d modeling but not in gaming? yeah...umm that logic doesnt work well

Is this 3D application use why the Sony Playstation VR will be a bigger hit then a device that works with non games?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SEANMCAD said:
    iixviiiix said:

VR headset is interest tool to work with 3D program , where i working also plan to buy some.

But gaming is ... out of question . Too expensive , and not sure if there a game develop for them .
    It not the headset but other hardware need to run it . You need more than $1000 for gaming gears , then game cost ...

ok I am trying to get my head around this.

1. to expensive for gaming but a $600 headset used to work with a 3D program is not a bit overpriced for basically one use application?
    2. By end of this year there will be 276 VR games
    Not many will be willing to pay that much for a gaming device however, particularly with the hardware requirements which will probably double that figure at least for most gamers.
    While it is possible that there will be a significant number of games released by the end of the year that support VR to varying degrees, the games that support it exclusively, are probably close to zero, and definitely not AAA titles. This may be the year VR becomes a thing, but its definitely not the year that VR becomes a mainstream option, i don't know how many years that will take tbh.
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    iixviiiix said:

VR headset is interest tool to work with 3D program , where i working also plan to buy some.

But gaming is ... out of question . Too expensive , and not sure if there a game develop for them .
    It not the headset but other hardware need to run it . You need more than $1000 for gaming gears , then game cost ...

1. to expensive for gaming but a $600 headset used to work with a 3D program is not a bit overpriced for basically one use application?
    Not many will be willing to pay that much for a gaming device however, particularly with the hardware requirements which will probably double that figure at least for most gamers.
    While it is possible that there will be a significant number of games released by the end of the year that support VR to varying degrees, the games that support it exclusively, are probably close to zero, and definitely not AAA titles. This may be the year VR becomes a thing, but its definitely not the year that VR becomes a mainstream option, i don't know how many years that will take tbh.
    I am so confused.

On one side people are saying 'if VR makes it at all its going to be Sony'
    and then they say 'VR is good for applications (that sony doesnt run) but not for game'

what 
    the
    actual?

SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    iixviiiix said:

I am so confused.

and then they say 'VR is good for applications (that sony doesnt run) but not for game'

what 
    the
    actual?

Only time will tell tbh, maybe it will make it, maybe it won't, at this stage, its too early to call it, of course, the first adopters will bear the brunt of the costs associated with VR, the real question will really be, how much cheaper will these devices be in 2 years time, if the answer is not much, then VR's future will perhaps not be as a mainstream gaming device, maybe Sony's VR will change this, but as my main platform for gaming is the PC, i'd rather it be the PC that was the main VR platform, but if Sony does release an affordable, and acceptable, VR device, then it could become the default platform for VR games in the eyes of developers, should it become popular.

Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    iixviiiix said:

I am so confused.

what 
    the
    actual?

Only time will tell tbh, maybe it will make it, maybe it won't, at this stage, its too early to call it, of course, the first adopters will bear the brunt of the costs associated with VR, the real question will really be, how much cheaper will these devices be in 2 years time, if the answer is not much, then VR's future will perhaps not be as a mainstream gaming device, maybe Sony's VR will change this, but as my main platform for gaming is the PC, i'd rather it be the PC that was the main VR platform, but if Sony does release an affordable, and acceptable, VR device, then it could become the default platform for VR games in the eyes of developers, should it become popular.

but for 'too soon to call it' arent statments like 'VR will be great for 3D modeling but not for games'  and 'if any VR headset makes it it will be Sony'

kinda doing exactly that?

SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    iixviiiix said:

I am so confused.

what 
    the
    actual?

but for 'too soon to call it' arent statments like 'VR will be great for 3D modeling but not for games'  and 'if any VR headset makes it it will be Sony'

There are probably many professions that would benefit from VR environments, not just the medical profession, the price point there would not be the issue it is as a gaming device.
    Whether or not Sony's VR ends up 'being the one' really depends on things we don't yet know, ie. price point, and also whether the experience it provides at that price point will be acceptable.
    In terms of price point, for the moment, both the Vive and the OR are beyond the means and the current hardware of most PC gamers, that is an unfortunate hurdle that will be hard to overcome.
    Its worth mentioning, that imo, should Sony's VR have roughly the same price as either of the other offerings, then its unlikely to be all that popular, although even if the price of Sony's VR was exactly the same as the OR, it would still be a cheaper option for many, although still not necessarily an affordable one.
    When it comes to VR, the only real determining factor will in the end be how much the devices cost, and for the devices to flourish as a PC gaming device, it has to be affordable to the many, not just the affluent few.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

so you are saying that the advantages of VR in a 3d modeling system is soooo good that it justfies that kind of price tag for just that.

It must be pretty friggin amazing
    No, I'm not saying anything about VR. I'm saying that Industry will pay for an item or service whatever it's worth for them, if they see a return on the investment. A few hundred dollars for ~any~ item is a drop in the bucket, provided it presents a return on the investment.

The same does not necessarily hold true when talking about disposable income for entertainment.

edited February 2016
    Phry said:

There are probably many professions that would benefit from VR environments, not just the medical profession, the price point there would not be the issue it is as a gaming device.
    Whether or not Sony's VR ends up 'being the one' really depends on things we don't yet know, ie. price point, and also whether the experience it provides at that price point will be acceptable.
    In terms of price point, for the moment, both the Vive and the OR are beyond the means and the current hardware of most PC gamers, that is an unfortunate hurdle that will be hard to overcome.
    Its worth mentioning, that imo, should Sony's VR have roughly the same price as either of the other offerings, then its unlikely to be all that popular, although even if the price of Sony's VR was exactly the same as the OR, it would still be a cheaper option for many, although still not necessarily an affordable one.
    When it comes to VR, the only real determining factor will in the end be how much the devices cost, and for the devices to flourish as a PC gaming device, it has to be affordable to the many, not just the affluent few.
    so much for 'too soon to call' because you are trying to call it as we speak

I am still confused though, Sony VR will survive because VR is best used for non-gaming applications run by PCs.

maybe it would be better to just say...'yeah that is a load of crap' instead of trying to do logical gymnastics in hopes it will just go away?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    shukolade said:
    Half of the guys complaining here run around with their 900$ iPhones in their pockets but go wild when there's something NEW and truly AMAZING wich might seem a little bit overpriced for the time being.
    Idiots.
    my ANDROID came at 120€. that is a price i actually can afford to spend now and then.
    but 800? seriously. let's wait for their 2nd round.

the initial sales are obviously not meant for me.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A lot of people appear to be embracing VR by using their cell phones and getting headsets that run from $10 dollars (cardboard) on up.  Excellent for trying out the new tech and upgrading if you enjoy it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

A lot of people appear to be embracing VR by using their cell phones and getting headsets that run from $10 dollars (cardboard) on up.  Excellent for trying out the new tech and upgrading if you enjoy it.
    The smart phones that can do that however are very expensive, certainly the average smart phone can't handle it, and while it might be good enough for watching movies, to a degree at least, its not comparable to a device like the OR or the Vive.
    Thane said:
    shukolade said:
    Half of the guys complaining here run around with their 900$ iPhones in their pockets but go wild when there's something NEW and truly AMAZING wich might seem a little bit overpriced for the time being.
    Idiots.
    my ANDROID came at 120€. that is a price i actually can afford to spend now and then.
    but 800? seriously. let's wait for their 2nd round.

the initial sales are obviously not meant for me.
    As someone who owns an £80 doro phone, that spends all its time in the cars glove compartment, i probably also fall into that category.
    Phry said:
    The smart phones that can do that however are very expensive, certainly the average smart phone can't handle it, and while it might be good enough for watching movies, to a degree at least, its not comparable to a device like the OR or the Vive.
    he is saying to give someone a general idea of what its actually like thru experience rather than having zero idea whatseover because they lack the skills of imagination.

SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    he is saying to give someone a general idea of what its actually like thru experience rather than having zero idea whatseover because they lack the skills of imagination.
    True enough, and if anything, those who have a smartphone with those kind of capabilities, probably can afford the Vive or the OR.
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    True enough, and if anything, those who have a smartphone with those kind of capabilities, probably can afford the Vive or the OR.
    but to borrow on a point john carmack said (this is not a quote at all)

'they might be able to afford it but the person they are taking to lunch might not and that is easier to share then going to the house and hooking up an oculus'

SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    but to borrow on a point john carmack said (this is not a quote at all)

'they might be able to afford it but the person they are taking to lunch might not and that is easier to share then going to the house and hooking up an oculus'
    That sounds like fun, sharing a VR device to watch a movie, i guess they could swap every few minutes or so :p
    Phry said:

That sounds like fun, sharing a VR device to watch a movie, i guess they could swap every few minutes or so :p
    how is it even possible for someone to missunderstand that.

wow...ok whatever that is not what I was (or he) was talking about. 

guy 1: 'hey want to check something out?'
    guy : 'yeah let me see what thats like'

John Carmack didnt even have to explain it this much to the audience and we got it or are you just playing? seriously you cant be seriuous

SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:

how is it even possible for someone to missunderstand that.

wow...ok whatever that is not what I was (or he) was talking about. 

guy 1: 'hey want to check something out?'
    guy : 'yeah let me see what thats like'

John Carmack didnt even have to explain it this much to the audience and we got it or are you just playing? seriously you cant be seriuous
    It was supposed to be funny, and i am rarely every serious.
    nor is my name shirley. :p
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited February 2016
    Leon1e said:
    13lake said:
    Do people forget Microsoft Hololens costs $3000 in its current iteration, and that microsoft said a few days ago, that they will perpetually delay the  mainstream consumer release to avoid a "kinect" repeat.
    Funny you mention prices when there are none available, because *gasp* it's still being actively developed. 
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAH :)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/29/hololens-development-edition-available-for-pre-order

http://http//www.extremetech.com/gaming/223762-microsoft-hololens-up-for-pre-order-today-if-you-can-
    afford-it

http://https//blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/02/29/announcing-microsoft-hololens-development-edition-open-for-pre-order-shipping-march-30/

$3000 pre-order, shipping march 30th, anti-mainstream oriented :)

You were saying ?
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Just saw the announce for the Dutch (or all of EU?) prices: €899. That'd make it 25% more expensive than in the US:(

And yeah, saw that announcement for Mickey$oft's VR thingy as well... $3K they must be kidding (sadly they are not...)
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Reizla said:
    Just saw the announce for the Dutch (or all of EU?) prices: €899. That'd make it 25% more expensive than in the US:(

And yeah, saw that announcement for Mickey$oft's VR thingy as well... $3K they must be kidding (sadly they are not...)
    Hololens is a different animal though, its not VR like how its being sod currently.  Hopefully the price will drop on it, whats important though is the technology. 

Reizla said:

Hololens is a different animal though, its not VR like how its being sod currently.  Hopefully the price will drop on it, whats important though is the technology. 
    and ironically in the context of specifically gaming AR is actually far more limiting then VR.

I dont want to see my desk, I dont want to see my kitchen with something bouncing around it and I dont want developers trying to code for every single room arrangement ever made.

I think for gaming AR is going to flop

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    Reizla said:

and ironically in the context of specifically gaming AR is actually far more limiting then VR.

I dont want to see my desk, I dont want to see my kitchen with something bouncing around it and I dont want developers trying to code for every single room arrangement ever made.

Actually, for true virtual gaming that allows you to get up, move around and so on, hololens would be the only way to do it well.   Hololens also works by itself, you could take it wherever you wanted. For wide usage, if hololens came down to roughly the same price as oculus (which, it isn't that far off if you consider you need hardware with the oculus) I think it would generally have a broader scope.

Being closed off from everything is fun in theory, but there's a reason VR didn't catch on before, and why its so niche. 

edited February 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Reizla said:

Actually, for true virtual gaming that allows you to get up, move around and so on, hololens would be the only way to do it well.   Hololens also works by itself, you could take it wherever you wanted. For wide usage, if hololens came down to roughly the same price as oculus (which, it isn't that far off if you consider you need hardware with the oculus) I think it would generally have a broader scope.

Being closed off from everything is fun in theory, but there's a reason VR didn't catch on before, and why its so niche. 
    no no no no completely no

here is the problem with AR as VR.

your wall? you see. it your desk? you see it. your window? you see, your cat? you see it, your dirty laundry? you see it. everything you experience with AR is within the context of that room you are in, virtual things jumping aorund your dirty laundry.

In VR the developer has 1000000% access to every single pixel you see. 

HUGE difference