Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In light of huge hype for BDO and shocking truth from players that actually tried it now.

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited February 2016
    They might as well have named this game "Flashy Asian Grinder #1654" for the sake of honesty, but really, anyone who ever looked at it for 10 mins would know that.

But then, no one would play it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i hate asian graphics art and gameplay, absolutely hate it to the point that the minute i see the flashy combat I log out. But thats personal preference and I do not understand the need or point to threads like this hating on games for obvious bias reasons. What exactly is a failure to you OP? and what is hype to you? I see people posting on it because its new and thats what happens to all games that are new here and on all sites. When Legion for wow gets close to release you will see a million threads about how wow is dying and its doom and gloom saying how blizzard is paying to hype legion here.....  This is just new game release mode a lot of people want a new toy to play with and this just happens to be mmorpg number 375 etc releasing. 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    time007 said:
    its a fun game.  and its a grind.  im sure it will carve out its playerbase like we've seen with GW2 and FFXIV.  as opposed to ending up like Tera or AOC or ESO.  Im guessing its size and playerbase will end up looking something like Aion.  Which is perfectly fine.  
    ESO is doing it very well. 

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    The shocking truth... lol...

I've become a little skeptical of the game with the latest cash shop news, but anyone that is swayed because a few people make inflammatory posts about their initial reactions to a game is pretty silly.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    On the surface, BDO is fun, its action filled and looks very good. Thats why people, even in this thread can say, oh Im having fun, they probably are, for now. 

The trouble is that it severely lacks depth and as such, the game will only last a couple of weeks, and then it wont be worth anything anymore and people will stop having fun doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Right now, people playing the game, are blind...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Mitara said:

Perhaps not.

Perhaps most of them are just today's average MMO player, who doesn't care if the game has any "long-term future", because they have no intention of playing it much beyond 2 months anyway.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I would enjoy BDO more if they FIXED THE GOD DAMN ANTI ALIASING.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Mitara said:
    On the surface, BDO is fun, its action filled and looks very good. Thats why people, even in this thread can say, oh Im having fun, they probably are, for now. 

The trouble is that it severely lacks depth and as such, the game will only last a couple of weeks, and then it wont be worth anything anymore and people will stop having fun doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Yeah I take video games as what they are, if fun for now then I'm happy. I don't think there should be a hidden truth behind video games. If you are looking for a meaningful medium video games are supposed to be taken with pop-corn, not wine. 

True, I too was swept away by some virtual worlds before. But back then I was too naive and all that was too new. I'm not going to be amazed anymore. Heck even if the title amazed me before get released now I would still not get amazed. 

So tell me again, why am I blind?
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Mitara said:

Yeah I take video games as what they are, if fun for now then I'm happy. I don't think there should be a hidden truth behind video games. If you are looking for a meaningful medium video games are supposed to be taken with pop-corn, not wine. 

True, I too was swept away by some virtual worlds before. But back then I was too naive and all that was too new. I'm not going to be amazed anymore. Heck even if the title amazed me before get released now I would still not get amazed. 

So tell me again, why am I blind?
    Popcorn mmorpg for the content locusts; its such an appropriate description for what this genre turned into, games with a shiny veneer and no depth that requires minimal effort from the player and thrown away after a few weeks so people can jump to the next one.

As for the person who was blind, I think that was me. No wonder I haven't played mmorpg's for 3.5 years.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Totally not surprised, the writing was pretty much on the wall from the start, from the hype and the whole gender locked issues, Blade and Soul, Black Desert, meh, next please.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited February 2016
    blythega said:
    I'm actually enjoying it
    As am I.
    laserit said:
    The shocking truth is that the truth is not that shocking.

Pretty much. Some are always going to hate some games, while others like them.
    Unfortunately this is one of those universal truths that is lost on a lot of people on this site, who simply cannot grasp the concept that not everyone might share their tastes.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    edited February 2016
    And still there will be people who love this game and will play it. Who the hell cares about how much or how little hype a game has before it's release?! Either you love it or not.

I am just confused of how the MMORPG-world works nowadays. It's like a constant war between game-haters and game-lovers. Game-haters post posts like maniacs to put down a game. Why? There will be people who love it. It's like the long time MMORPG-players believe that one day there will be one game to rule them all. That won't happen because the way gamers are nowadays. Not the way games are nowadays. We always find something we don't like. We always remember the good things about our favourite game back in the days but have forgot about all the bad things. I do that. But still I do not understand the crusade many gamers go on against new games. It is just ridicolous! I see more posts like that on this site than anything else.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Another silly thread.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited February 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    These recent mass hype and failures are only happening with a specific type of genre. They tend to have several things in common.

-PVP
    -Korean made or published
    -Cash shop
    -Action combat

Tera, Wildstar, ArcheAge, Blade & Soul, Black Desert, etc
    Now I'm not sure if your already saying that BDO and BnS are failures?

I hope not because it's a little to early to tell....
    But as for the others I still don't know if Tera should be on that list didn't they actually add a server awhile ago I mean I wouldn't consider that failure...........

And as for BDO in general I actually kinda like it it's deeper once you actually get to know some of the actual games systems such as knowledge and nodes....
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    what a pointless thread, BDO, B&S, tera are targeted at different audience IF you spend some time playing them u'll notice their main difference and these are all very polished games with good well thought gaming mechanics, to educate u further BDO is a sandbox type meta game endgame being territory controls i.e. gvg, B&S is more 1vs arena kinda of like street fighter style mmorpg and tera is more on dungeons and teamwork.

world has changed since evequest and wow it's time to move on isnt this what the human race is doing since the beginning i.e. moving on, so lets move on and stop wasting time on pointless threads bashing games whilst showing your ignorance zzz.

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    DrDread74 said:
    They keep making games like this because you all keep buying them, stop buying them =)
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    When Oculus Rift (etc) is released in June this year, it should be a game-changer (quite literally!)

It might be a good idea to save up and buy a new computer to go with it at release.

I imagine that most games that are not compatible with VR, such as BDO, will soon fall by the way. 
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Is this the support club for people who are burnt out on MMORPGs and whine about how every MMORPG is bad in their opinion?
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    ArChWind said:
    breadm1x said:
    I found it "interesting" but a lot of stuff was just a little "meh"
    Still got no clue what with the "nodes" are.
    Weapon and armors are boring. no diversity, bns has no armors but at least you can customize it a little.
    GFX looks okey nothing realy amazing, got no clue what the frame rate of others is.
    I used 2560x1440 on a GTX780ti Xeon 1230v2  (sandy bridge 3.3Ghz) with everything on max and had no problems with it.
    Crafting no clue most stuff seems useless to me.
    "Sandbox" well maybe when they started with it but looks like a Theme park with lots of useless stuff added to make it "look" complicated.

Would i fork over 30$ to play this game witch is "F2P" in the rest of the world, No.
    Come on we all know it will be f2p anyways they just grabbing some extra cash.
    I can wait.

Would i play it if it was F2P, well yes, i like to see what happens beyond 45 with pvp.

Let me clue you on nodes so you can understand their importance.

You have to open a chain of nodes across the world so you can send the materials from a node to different cities and depending on market conditions and cost to make more profit. You need workers so you hire workers from different places to work the nodes like mine, forest, farm, etc so you don't have to do it. You have to have stations to produce product through the crafting from raw materials. You level up your nodes to get lower taxes and better bargaining power with the market.  You level your workers to get better rare harvests and better materials and more production.

It is extremely time consuming so you go out and do quests and kill mobs to get items that are not produced by nodes.

It's frickin addictive as hell. 
    Completely agree. The systems in place remind me of a strategy game rather than an MMO. Very fun game including all the combat and questing. I like a game with grind and this has it. I like a game with housing and this game has it. I like the micro systems that are in the game that you can manage.
    Sounds like how people were all excited for Garrisons in WoW.
    When Oculus Rift (etc) is released in June this year, it should be a game-changer (quite literally!)

It might be a good idea to save up and buy a new computer to go with it at release.

I imagine that most games that are not compatible with VR, such as BDO, will soon fall by the way. 

I think you re overestimating how many people actually care about VR.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited February 2016

All older technology fades with time, but it has never happened quickly and dramatically as you imply with VR.  I wouldn't count on a major paradigm shift anytime soon.

This game isn't for me. I gave the free beta a try, but the action combat and console style controls were of no interest to me.  One other thing I noticed was that rewards were few and far between and minute in upgrade strength.  Making the cash shop stat gear even more indicative of this game's direction.  Not a single loot drop was aesthetically attractive, which is also indicative of the cash shop's importance.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I'm so shocked the OP is actually shocked.

No wonder game company hype everything.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Is this the support club for people who are burnt out on MMORPGs and whine about how every MMORPG is bad in their opinion?
    Yep, pretty much, welcome to our house  B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    DMKano said:
    Forums are not indicative of majority preference, what's happening with BD is not shocking but completely expected. 

BD won't be a blockbuster hit, it will have limited success which again is exactly what Daum planned for.

They lowered the entry price at launch to $30, which is cheap enough for many to try. 

The retention rates won't matter because it's a b2p game, but once the game population settles it will be around 10% to 20% of box sales.

Again no surprise there - at this point all revenue will come from the cash shop which Daum will tune post launch to maintain profitability as box sales will have dried up at that point.

None of this is shocking - it's quite expected.

Its a bit of a shame so little is expected of a new MMORPG, I wonder if one day we'll ever see greatness, or has that time passed, "mostly average" is the new normal?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Forums are not indicative of majority preference, what's happening with BD is not shocking but completely expected. 

BD won't be a blockbuster hit, it will have limited success which again is exactly what Daum planned for.

They lowered the entry price at launch to $30, which is cheap enough for many to try. 

The retention rates won't matter because it's a b2p game, but once the game population settles it will be around 10% to 20% of box sales.

Again no surprise there - at this point all revenue will come from the cash shop which Daum will tune post launch to maintain profitability as box sales will have dried up at that point.

None of this is shocking - it's quite expected.

Its a bit of a shame so little is expected of a new MMORPG, I wonder if one day we'll ever see greatness, or has that time passed, "mostly average" is the new normal?
    When you can not get 10 people to agree what "greatness" is it is a problem...average is the best we can get to get more than 10 people.