Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FInal Fantasy VI PC Remake: Review

ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
Just finished every inch of the new FFVI PC remake on steam. It's really hard to justify dropping $$ on the same RPG's being remade over and over but oh well here we go again. FFVI is one of my favorite RPG's of all time, ive beaten it at least 10 times over the years and played all the blood sucking "remakes" as well.

For me to consider a remake a success it has to accomplish everything the original game did but better in every feasible way. You may think these standards are unrealistic but first ask yourself, "why should I buy this if the original is better?" Why indeed. So lets get to the question at hand aka, should you buy FFVI PC?

Pros:
+The world looks noticeably better. This includes: battle backgrounds, towns, world maps, monsters, espers, far less pixels in general
+The music is either clearer and better or the same
+Faster load times(I would hope so! Still worth a mention though)
+FFVI has a ton of optional content/sidequests so if you've never played it before you'll get your $15 worth
+The gameplay itself is exactly like the original, they don't try to change the story or leave out any sidequests, same coliseum, etc.
+Almost every character portrait is amazing, promote whoever painted these & fire whoever did....

Cons:
-The sprites they are awful. This has been beaten to death and I personally don't think they ruin the game but it took a lot of yes men to get these horrid character models approved. Every one of them looks worse except MAYBE Relm. Somehow they made Cyan look like Hitler, Sabin has manboobs instead of pecks, Locke looks 8yrs old and Kefka looks like an 8 yr old that lost a paintball tournament.
-Battle menu is actually more annoying to navigate then the original
-A ton of dialogue was changed, rarely for the better.
-This version added nothing onto the last remake. They brought over the yawnfest Dragon's Den dungeon for who knows what reason. The 4 new espers are pretty pointless as are the spells they give. The Soul Shrine should be renamed Soulless Shrine.
-Many common technical issues; such as, limited controller support, blaring sound you can't turn down, crashing when minimizing, etc

There's a few small features that are inconsequential and don't really deserve a spot in pro or con. For instance you can turn sprint shoes off and on now........ok? They added autobattle according to what you did last but battles are already fast paced so there's no need unless you're grinding, which also isn't needed. The map marks where you need to go next and you can switch espers around slightly easier. You still can't compare weapons and armor to what your wearing in shops, nor can you equip items as you buy them.

In conclusion this remake is about as necessary as the new Fantastic Four movie. Though unlike the movie you can get enjoyment out of this game, you'll just get more playing the original. And it's for that reason I cannot recommend this game to anyone other then the complete FFVI noob that won't bother playing it any other fashion.

6/10

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    FFVI is the one game i never figure out because i love FF3 and that was called FFVI later on in remakes.
    I guess i'll have to check Steam to see what is being called FFVI now a days.

I have been playing remake of FF3 almost everyday,i just love it and obviously why i loved FFXI so much since FFXI is basically the exact same game.

Ok i refreshed my brain and that FFVI is not one of my fave FF  games although Kitase has been involved in MANY good games like FFVII and FFX one of my all time faves.

I tend to like Tanaka's work better.I also like Ryosuke Aiba's art/animation work way better than most i see in gaming today.He seemed to disappear into nowhere after working on Chrono Cross,Xenogears FFXI and a few other games..I know Tanaka works with Ken Narita a great programmer from Square Enix at GungHo Entertainment.

It is too bad ,some of these older minds ,game producers are going out the door and incoming i see lots of really big changes in game designs of which most i do not like.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYpFC5eVvLg

Those sprites.....
    Also think the UI change is shit.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Many say Final Fantasy 6 is the greatest one,  I know its my personal favorite and 7 my second.  I dont like 1-3 much because they are just too primitive in story and gameplay, but the rest I mostly enjoyed except 13.  It was mainly the combat that i had a problem with, the rest of the game was better or equal to the average JRPG.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    One of my favorite FF's. Toss up between VI or XII. 
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I didn't know this existed... I have to agree with the op though... I liked the old SNES sprites better. The environment and UI tweaks look great, but the character sprites just seem plain. Oddly less -- I don't even know how to phrase it -- Detailed?

As much as I dislike anime and Asian games in general I actually liked the SNES turn based games. The Chronotrigger remake for Android was amazing.
    I didn't know this existed... I have to agree with the op though... I liked the old SNES sprites better. The environment and UI tweaks look great, but the character sprites just seem plain. Oddly less -- I don't even know how to phrase it -- Detailed?

As much as I dislike anime and Asian games in general I actually liked the SNES turn based games. The Chronotrigger remake for Android was amazing.
    Chronotrigger and FFVI were made in a time when SE was more interested in making RPG's and less interested in making interactive movies.
    Nothing wrong with interactive movies though... I spent many of quarters on Dragon's Lair in the arcades.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

What made the chrono trigger remake amazing? I thought that game was impossible to improve lol. I played one crappy remake which was exactly the same but they added a couple long soulless dungeons at the end.
    edited February 2016

What made the chrono trigger remake amazing? I thought that game was impossible to improve lol. I played one crappy remake which was exactly the same but they added a couple long soulless dungeons at the end.
    Additional mechanics for the touch screen, the additional content of the Nintendo DS version, re-translation of the text, and over-all audio quality. Maybe amazing was the wrong word, but it was different from the SNES in a few minor ways that made it feel almost, but not quite like a whole new game.

(EDIT: An example of re-translation, the scene where Ayla challenges you to a "Soup" drinking contest, was changed to moonshine. Which made the text and following scene make more sense. Who gets a hangover and passes out til mid-day from soup?)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I had to post something because i just spent 2 hours in Steam and did not want to play a single game.

I keep feeling like playing Final Fantasy games but all else in Steam just turns me right off.
    I was thinking of buying the FFVII remake but not sure if what Steam is selling is the remake,it says 2013,i thought the HD remake was just very recent?

Any other FF type games i might like to try?I usually know of most every game but with thousands of them out there,i often forget some along the way that i wanted to try and don't feel like sifting through Steam for another 2 hours.I wish Dishonored 2 would hurry up and arrive or better yet a new Half Life game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited February 2016
    Wizardry said:
    I had to post something because i just spent 2 hours in Steam and did not want to play a single game.

I keep feeling like playing Final Fantasy games but all else in Steam just turns me right off.
    I was thinking of buying the FFVII remake but not sure if what Steam is selling is the remake,it says 2013,i thought the HD remake was just very recent?

Any other FF type games i might like to try?I usually know of most every game but with thousands of them out there,i often forget some along the way that i wanted to try and don't feel like sifting through Steam for another 2 hours.I wish Dishonored 2 would hurry up and arrive or better yet a new Half Life game.
    As far as I know, the "remake" is in development, it's a straight up remake. The FFVII HD version is just a high resolution version of the PC release from back in 97, good luck programming your controller for it, it's old school mapping (You'll need to open your device and printers and find the mapping numerals. Unless you've got these memorized.) and no mouse control by default, keyboard only. Other than that, it's FFVII in 1080 instead of 480. So less "stray pixels" like in the orginal PC and playstation versions.

Turn based RPG's are a little difficult to find for PC other than ports. Are you looking for consoles as well or considering emulation?

Anachronox? Only one I can think of. If you're looking for an RPG in general, the Gothic series is pretty good.

Edit: Grammar and spelling.
    Wizardry said:

If you're in the mood for nostalgia, there's bunches. If you're looking for newer RPG's, I'm afraid I won't be much help. I grew up on SNES RPG's. The only way I've found to play the older games is with an emulator on PC. Getting your hands on those old-school RPG's is difficult and expensive. It's technically legal if you own the game. They're all siting in a box at my parents house waiting for my son to be old enough to enjoy them, so I don't have any qualms playing them on emu. 

Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore 
    Earthbound
    Lufia II
    Breath of Fire I&II
    Super Mario RPG
    Illusion of Gaia 
    Ogre Battle (strategic RPG) 
    Rudra no Hihou (SE game a lot like FFVI. You can find fan translations that are pretty good)
    Citizens of Earth (newer game)
    ^This man has good taste
    Wizardry said:

If you're in the mood for nostalgia, there's bunches. If you're looking for newer RPG's, I'm afraid I won't be much help. I grew up on SNES RPG's. The only way I've found to play the older games is with an emulator on PC. Getting your hands on those old-school RPG's is difficult and expensive. It's technically legal if you own the game. They're all siting in a box at my parents house waiting for my son to be old enough to enjoy them, so I don't have any qualms playing them on emu. 

Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore 
    Earthbound
    Lufia II
    Breath of Fire I&II
    Super Mario RPG
    Illusion of Gaia 
    Ogre Battle (strategic RPG) 
    Rudra no Hihou (SE game a lot like FFVI. You can find fan translations that are pretty good)
    Citizens of Earth (newer game)
    Don't forget about Suikoden II on PSX. Oh and definitely Seiken Densetsu 3 on SNES.

I'm usually not one of those people that say games of the past were better.  But I really miss the effort that was put into classic games. Maybe graphics has spoiled me, as I settle for RPG's with less substance. I miss old classics likes Phantasy Star 3 & 4 (loved whole series), Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior (Quest), and many others.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Roin said:

Don't forget about Suikoden II on PSX. Oh and definitely Seiken Densetsu 3 on SNES.

Xenogears, Xenosaga 1-3 and Legend of Dragoon too
  • KhaoslightKhaoslight Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Wild Arms and Tactics Ogre too. :awesome:

Currently waiting on FFVII remake coming to the PS4.

Back on topic:
    Sadly, I never got to play FFVI on SNES. I jumped on the FF bandwagon with FFVII and FF Tactics and been there since. I finally got to play FFVI with the release of Anthology back then and loved it.

Roin said:

Xenogears, Xenosaga 1-3 and Legend of Dragoon too

Ewww Xenosaga.

Xenogears and Phantasy Star IV are must plays though for sure.
    Star Ocean on SNES

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I have Orge Battle: March for the black queen for ps1 with stradegy guide. maybe i'll sell it one day with Xenogears orginal copy