Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Haven't they accepted enough money at this point?

FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
What CIG has done in terms of generating funding is amazing.  But at some point it is distasteful to continue asking people to keep funding development.  The fact that they haven't frozen donations/sales at this point is a huge red flag to me.  It shows a lack of respect to the people that have already put in a lot of money that they continue to miss predicted delivery dates and in some cases expand the scope of the product.

They have no incentive to release a product anytime soon.  And they won't until funding levels start to drop drastically.

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Are you Hateing or contributing with this statement.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Does anyone really have enough money?   I'm sure Chris Roberts would like more money also.   He has a good thing going here and I wouldn't stop if I was him. 
  • DaderickDaderick Member UncommonPosts: 48
    What company turns down money? I have to agree with flizzer.  I wouldn't stop if I was him.

Visit us over at Star Citizen Privateer!

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Well think about this. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/producer-christopher-eberts-sentenced-four-809013

He went on to become a vp production at 20th Century Fox and later had his own company. For a time, he was a producing partner at Ascendant Films, which was run by Chris Roberts. Roberts and Eberts were producers on the movie Lucky Number Slevin, which starred Bruce Willis.

No not saying he was involved, but he had to know what was going on back then. Or he really could be that naive. But the way CIG is going you do have to wonder. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I really, really, really feel the FTC should squeeze a delivery date from CIG before they're allowed more "pledges", an affirmative statement, "this product will be delivered this time". CIG should be required to carry this statement in all propaganda, and subject to criminal proceedings and/or fines should it not deliver on time.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    They're not asking YOU for more money, they're asking THAT OTHER GUY that hasn't spent any money...

Adjuvant1 said:
    I really, really, really feel the FTC should squeeze a delivery date from CIG before they're allowed more "pledges", an affirmative statement, "this product will be delivered this time". CIG should be required to carry this statement in all propaganda, and subject to criminal proceedings and/or fines should it not deliver on time.
    LOL didn't take long to get that pledge instead of pre-order which they changed what 2 days ago? 

Look, what would happen to Apple if they started taking pre-orders for iPhone 7, got 100 million, still hadn't delivered a year, two years later. The company would tank.
    Brenics said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    LOL didn't take long to get that pledge instead of pre-order which they changed what 2 days ago? 
    That's Freyermuth thinking he writes the law. He needs to tread lightly.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Adjuvant1 said:

I wish they would do this with people taking my money for a cure for cancer.
    Horusra said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

Those charitable ventures are limited by laws and regulations. You're not funny.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Horusra said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

Those charitable ventures are limited by laws and regulations. You're not funny.

maybe not enough regulations on them
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IOf i was an avid SC player i would be more worried about what is left for gaming if the most important parts are in the cash shop.
    Yo ucan hire any indie developer to just create space maps to fly around and shoot each other.,I would hardly call adding in 80+ million more is warranted for boarding a ship and having a couple other VERY minute options for game play.Basically all these games really are is ships in VERY low end maps,shooting pew pew at each other.People can stretch it trying to come up with scenarios the game "offers more" but in reality i just summed it all up in a 10 million dollar package,likely even less.

Think about it,i am not just making shit up,the game i just described is around a 10-20 million dollar game and that is doing it VERY well,it makes sense since Chris was bantering around a 6 million dollar game.
    To me it is still about RUINING facets of gaming pleasure,it is to me unacceptable he took the possibility of crafting several assets and ships and add-ons out of the game and put them into the cash shop.It could have gone even further like fighting for resources on certain planets,harvesting becoming a part fo crafting,but nope he ruined the entire possiblity the game had of being something great,all out of GREED,to fund his Hollywood dream and support his wife's same dream of being some super model hollywood star.

My long winded point,with this kind of budget,a competent leader,this game COULD have been absolutely amazing but Chris will turn a 100+++ million into a 10-20 million dollar game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Look, what would happen to Apple if they started taking pre-orders for iPhone 7, got 100 million, still hadn't delivered a year, two years later. The company would tank.
    Well it's astonishing how much changes when you use the label of crowdfunding as far as what is and what is not acceptable in conducting business. It seems like all sense and rationale goes out the window, for both consumer and provider. It truly takes two to tango in this "market".. 

So you say that about Apple now because you're thinking of them in terms of everyday business. However under this moniker it doesn't seem as though they would "tank". It wouldn't be much different as people love their phones just as much if not more than they love their games. 

Until a majority of those forking the bill stand up and demand something anything in this regard. Nothing will change.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Horusra said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Horusra said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

maybe not enough regulations on them
    K. Try doing it yourself, brb state prison, seeya in 20 years.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Like Chris said, if they're not bringing in 2-3 million a month, development is screwed. lol
    Horusra said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

You missed this? Looks like our money may be working!

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DrJohnson/story?id=117508

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Ghavrigg said:
    Like Chris said, if they're not bringing in 2-3 million a month, development is screwed. lol
    That's sort of the impetus of this post.  It means everything he promised people that funded the game is a lie.  They have more than enough to deliver on their promises.  Depending on that much money after they already have $100 million can only mean that there is MASSIVE mismanagement.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited February 2016
    Ghavrigg said:
    That's sort of the impetus of this post.  It means everything he promised people that funded the game is a lie.  They have more than enough to deliver on their promises.  Depending on that much money after they already have $100 million can only mean that there is MASSIVE mismanagement.
    >>>Like Chris said, if they're not bringing in 2-3 million a month, development is screwed.>>>

Funny how people misinterpret what Chris Roberts said. He said that if he is not bringing in 2-3 million a month, he will scale back the CIG workforce back to a level sustainable with the money coming in.

Taking into account the remaining crowdfunding money and the remaining time until release. With a reported number of around 260 employees and a gaming industry rule of thumb of TOTAL cost (including overhead and everything) of around 10k$/month/employee the current burn rate is around 2.6 M$ per month.

"Development is screwed" is not exactly a terminus technicus and IMHO wrong.

"everything is a lie" is also incorrect. Companies do NOT renounce money thrown at them voluntarily. Everyone can use more money. Yes, they most likely have more than enough to finish the game. And no, they DO take more money "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!" like most people would in their situation. That is not mismanagement. That is economics 101.

Personally I think they will find a lot of uses for that extra money in development - and if it is used to give some yearly X-mas salary bonus to those 260 employees (yes, all of them, including the Roberts family), then IMHO go ahead and more power to them. Gaming industry professionals should have some bonus once in a while too and not only constant death marches.

Have fun

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2016
    ...following Kyleran below:

Someone has posted too much.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    You may have heard this before there is no such thing as being too rich or too thin.

Same principle there's no such thing as too much money.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    You may have heard this before there is no such thing as being too rich or too thin.

Same principle there's no such thing as too much money.

SSSSHHHHH...you will scare the new generations that have been indoctrinated to believe everyone is greedy and that is the greatest evil in the world.
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    As long as they have suckers to blow money on their scam ...
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Adjuvant1 said:

What it comes down to honestly is if you don't like it, don't donate but for the love of god stfu about it.
    Well, I guess you told us, huh.
    If only, huh.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Adjuvant1 said:

What it comes down to honestly is if you don't like it, don't donate but for the love of god stfu about it.
    Well, I guess you told us, huh.
    Well with 8 posts since 2010 I assume he has been shutting up about this a lot so far.
    Harbinger of Fools