Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How come Eastern players don't mind P2W aspects in their games, while Westerners hate it?

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
edited February 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Is it basically just a cultural thing?  I mean every game Korean game that comes to west has to drastically change their cash shop for Western Players or there will be an outrage.

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    because westerners have more money? no wait that doesnt work.

no idea

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    If you read some of the posts here you might infer that in the East gaming is a hobby and worth paying for but in the West it is a "!God damn given right to play what we want, when we want and not pay a dime!!!!"
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Considering how  westerners have embraced cash shop games i would say they don't  hate it. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Because western players have more options for finding products with better standard/quality unlike eastern. If eastern players knew more what they could get vs what they are getting their demands would change too.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Western players do not mind cash shops either so I do not know what you are talking about...
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Maybe eastern players do grasp the simple fact that paying customers should have an advantage over freeloaders?

Most of the anti-p2w threads on these boards originate from spoiled persons demanding to a) not to pay a dime and b) have the same benefits with the players paying.

It's classical western self-entitled behavior.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited February 2016
    It's ingrained in our mindset to fight for equality and fairness; even though those types of values might be diminishing with the younger generation. Culturally like you said we have vast differences. Essentially were a democracy, and you have to realize many of these countries are just used to being screwed over. So the pay to win concept is normal and accepted. We know it's ultimately very wrong and that were being taken advantage of, but sadly many of the EU and even some Asian countries just accept it. I feel like I'm generalizing to a point but if you look at it from a non political and sociological perspective it's quite apparent. I hope that helps but just realize this is just my point of view. 

same reason the worst tippers ever are after church lunch

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If you read this forum for any length of time you would think, free to play games are rarely played in the West.  Of course, this is far from the truth.  Free to play is popular and accepted in the west.  How popular and how much compared to the East, I don't know, so to say it is not accpeted in the West is incorrect. 
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Kopogero said:
    Because western players have more options for finding products with better standard/quality unlike eastern. If eastern players knew more what they could get vs what they are getting their demands would change too.
    Korea has an enormous MMO market, and several western MMO's have been ported over there. They're not missing out on anything, IMO. 
    ᴍʏ Fʀɪᴇɴᴅ's ᴍᴏᴍ ᴍᴀᴋᴇs $72 ʜᴏᴜʀʟʏ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴜᴛᴇʀ . Sʜᴇ ʜᴀs ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴀ ᴊᴏʙ ғᴏʀ 5 ᴍᴏɴᴛʜs ʙᴜᴛ ʟᴀsᴛ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ᴡᴀs $10263 ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴜᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀ ᴀ ғᴇᴡ ʜᴏᴜʀs. ...

A­l­p­h­a-C­a­r­e­e­r­s.C­­O­­M 
    holy smokes I am so checking that out...not

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I don't really know what korean gamers think, very few articles on their gaming culture and I can't read korean.

Japanese gamers hate P2W. You can't even find RMT in their games because their gaming culture is completely different from western gaming culture.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    People in the West are more used to illusion of equality, so when a game breaks that illusion we'll get more angry.

Then we'll play the game anyway.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I think its a status symbol kind of thing, in Korea etc. if you can buy the win, if you can demonstrate to others that you are somehow a person of substance, it somehow increases your status among other players, at least, thats how it looks from the outside.
    That kind of behaviour doesn't really appeal all that much in the west though, as its viewed as being a bit shallow.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2016
    Vrika said:
    People in the West are more used to illusion of equality, so when a game breaks that illusion we'll get more angry.

Then we'll play the game anyway.
    ....yeah, that is why there are "P2W cash shops" everywhere, because upset customers are more likely to open their wallets.

You got some funny logic in there.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited February 2016
    Phry said:
    I think its a status symbol kind of thing, in Korea etc. if you can buy the win, if you can demonstrate to others that you are somehow a person of substance, it somehow increases your status among other players, at least, thats how it looks from the outside.
    That kind of behaviour doesn't really appeal all that much in the west though, as its viewed as being a bit shallow.
    this is a good assessment I think. one that i didnt even think of. I suspect its true.

we (western) have BMWs for status, they have game status

the overall population on average is also younger and I dont say that to imply that only young people want game status but rather there are more people of the '2nd generation of gamers'

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Maybe Easterners don't hate on people that suffer from such shallow and insignificant lives that they have to win to enjoy themselves.  Maybe Easterners just think to themselves "I'm glad I'm not that guy"

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    this is a good assessment I think. one that i didnt even think of. I suspect its true.

we (western) have BMWs for status, they have game status

the overall population on average is also younger and I dont say that to imply that only young people want game status but rather there are more people of the '2nd generation of gamers'
    Must admit, felt pretty good having a fast car, but getting older and having to trade down to a Xsara Picasso, because, you know, boot space, just doesn't have the same appeal, or accelleration, even worse, its diesel.
    eye_m said:

Maybe Easterners don't hate on people that suffer from such shallow and insignificant lives that they have to win to enjoy themselves.  Maybe Easterners just think to themselves "I'm glad I'm not that guy"

at least speaking for asia my lifetime impression is that by comparision they could not care less about status. which contradicts what I accepted as true in this thread.

basically to the core question I have no idea but i find the discussion interesting.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Shodanas said:
    Maybe eastern players do grasp the simple fact that paying customers should have an advantage over freeloaders?

Most of the anti-p2w threads on these boards originate from spoiled persons demanding to a) not to pay a dime and b) have the same benefits with the players paying.

It's classical western self-entitled behavior.
    I think many would just want to pay a fair price to keep the games integrity in place.  If I join a basketball league I want to pay the entrance fee and not worry about paying the referee off because I don't have time to practice or play.
    edited February 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    eye_m said:

at least speaking for asia my lifetime impression is that by comparision they could not care less about status. which contradicts what I accepted as true in this thread.

basically to the core question I have no idea but i find the discussion interesting.

True, its only possible to speculate when viewing from the 'outside'.
    But when you hear how serious they take their games, and the amounts spent in them, you have to wonder why that is, if its not a 'status' thing, even if its a 'perceived' status, then how is it that P2W is accepted on so large a scale, and apparently, with full knowledge and consent, something that would be inconceiveable here in the west, where buying any kind of an advantage is viewed with such disdain, at least openly, whether this is the case behind the scenes, i am beginning to wonder, although i know personally that for me, if i have to buy the win, then there is no satisfaction of pleasure gained from doing so, only shame.