Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online - Pearl Shop Tour! - Not so cosmetic after all.

Comments

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited February 2016
    Which item helps me win and what are its stats?
    for pvp ? after a month they will release the helpfull item for upgrade your item, it start at +1

if you pay nothing you will fail the enchant at 4-5, the failure rate pretty damn big, you can buy from the auction house one item for help ( grind 1 week ) or spend real money

well i advice you after one month to spend 2000$ of your cash on these item who will help you upgrade your item, and for your question

when you maxed upgrade you will be okay to kill 6 poor peon player f2p players near your amazing character of power and skill.

they will do no dmg to you, you will win

you will win because you got more skill in pvp of course !!!

wallet = skill in these f2p crap now, and people accept it

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    The failure rate for upgrading is there to help you spend some real money. Why would any company simply make games for you to play for free when they have to earn money monthly to keep their employees. Also if they pick a method that makes it harder and longer for a person that does not spend any cash on the game aside from the initial B2P I cannot see the problem here. As a F2P person you are not paying anything towards the game so they punish you by making it harder for you to advance which seems fair all round.
    Chamber of Chains
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited February 2016
    cheyane said:
    The failure rate for upgrading is there to help you spend some real money. Why would any company simply make games for you to play for free when they have to earn money monthly to keep their employees. Also if they pick a method that makes it harder and longer for a person that does not spend any cash on the game aside from the initial B2P I cannot see the problem here. As a F2P person you are not paying anything towards the game so they punish you by making it harder for you to advance which seems fair all round.
    Thing is, far as those people feel, they aren't "F2P person"s.  They're "B2P persons".  Of course, that's just from their perspective.  You're right that if the company doesn't find a way to continually milk money from them after their "initial B2P", the company can't survive.  Those B2P people just find it shady that the game promised it wouldn't become like this as a reason for being B2P instead of F2P.

But the way the company worded their promise made it pretty clear to me (and several others) what their future plans were...
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2016
    You used to buy a game then pay monthly so the B2P is buying the game part and then you pay to be competitive. I think companies have just realised that they cannot actually let everyone play for free with very little torture. So they have introduced painful and punishing methods to make you pay some money towards alleviating that. 

GW 2 is a game that does not do this and there are many other games I think but off the top of my head I cannot think of any other MMORPG but I think it will be a dwindling form of revenue. I think more game companies are going to try to make even the players that play for free  to force them to pay in making the grind and failures without some cash shop substance to reduce the randomness of the RNG a necessity. I think they might have caught on that the number of players that play without spending any money at all is a large percentage so now they are looking for ways to make those numbers smaller.

Don't know how this will pan out in the future it is still evolving.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Let's be totally realistic here, the contents of the Cash Shop will be expanded and "improved", not scaled-back.

The cash flood from the early access purchases and B2P at launch won't last long, and in a month or two BDO will rely heavily on the Cash Shop for it's survival. That's when the Cash Shop items will be made tradeable on the AH, etc.
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Myrdynn said:
    I just feel like people who are against companies making money are the same ones voting for Bernie Sanders, yes the game is made, who cares?  The company still needs an income, it still needs to pay employees, and B2P isn't going to cover that forever.
    Ultimate apologist detected.

Plenty of games do just fine without ruining the integrity of the game by selling stats for cash.

I am a consumer, not a charity. I only care if the product is good - how they pay the bills is not my problem.

What you seem to be missing is that using shady / cash grab tactics to 'pay the bills' just drives customers away.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Surprise!!! - lol and you all got hyped - gotcha again suckers
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

At the end of the day, why care about cash shop items as long as you are having fun?  It's a game.  Why allow the deep pockets of the few to ruin the enjoyment of the many?  There are many ways to mitigate the perception that others are having an advantage over you in a game through the purchase of cash shop items.  One way to do so, and one that I often utilize to mitigate a perceived disadvantage, is that by not taking advantage of cash shop items I am playing the game on hard mode whereas those who resort to the purchase of these "convenience" items are playing the game on easy mode.

The items sold by BDO's CS, combined with the game play mechanics employed by BDO, are hardly of the variety that give a player any type of a  huge power advantage.  They are all more a matter of convenience, than they are of power.  Only those players who cannot fathom seeing another player having anything better than them would be bothered by another player having the ability to jump a negligible bit higher, or gain a little more XP in a game that utilizes a grinding soft cap after level 50, or a -10 death penalty, or a -10 durability penalty, or a +1 gathering etc.  These are not only matters of convenience, but they are negligible at best.

If a player takes the attitude that they are going to play the game by simply doing their own thing, instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing, they would find that their enjoyment of the game would increase exponentially.  The CS as it stands now is not a game breaker by any sense of the imagination.   This is not to say that it will stay that way, but the time to worry about that is when the changes come into effect, if they ever do, and stop crying and doom-saying about something that isn't and may never come to realization.   

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Torval said:
    Can't people just write an intelligent post anymore? Do we have to watch and listen to them on YouTube? FFS it's worse than the cash shop.
    Speaking can express more than writing.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

DMKano said:
    If those costumes didn't have any stats on them - almost nobody would buy them - at least with stats on them - they'll sell quite a few of them.

Cosmetic only items don't sell worth a damn in MMORPGs.
    You are right but that doesn't mean a cosmetic only cash shop can't work. They just need to be more creative how the cosmetic works in actual game rather than just being cosmetics.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    DMKano said:
    If those costumes didn't have any stats on them - almost nobody would buy them - at least with stats on them - they'll sell quite a few of them.

BS. Rift and GW2 both have some badass costumes that people shell out money for. I even bought some myself. Did you really ever play an MMO before all this new trash came out? Because it doesn't seem like it. People in MMO's always enjoyed the cosmetic part. Dyes would be some of the most sought after and expensive items in some games, even Daoc was like that.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    DMKano said:

You are right but that doesn't mean a cosmetic only cash shop can't work. They just need to be more creative how the cosmetic works in actual game rather than just being cosmetics.
    I like how APB does most of their cash shop. Most of the items in there are simple remeshes or reskins of items you can get in game. For instance you can earn an AK47 in game, but you can purchase an AR15 which is functionally identical to the AK47 (in game, not in real life). They do have a few items that are not obtainable in game, but definitely a majority of their income comes from remeshed items.
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited February 2016
    reeereee said:
    DMKano said:
    Urncaller said:
    I agree with DMK most people well 99 percent speculate as unless you are working with one of t hose companies then it's pure speculation...unless of course they release that info to the public.

It's only a matter of time - one of these days somebody will hopefully have enough balls to step forward and at least address the fact that cosmetics make up less than 3% of the cash shop sales.

This is true across every major company  - NCSoft, Zenimax, Blizzard, etc..  you name it.

The idea that cosmetics only cash shop can float games like Black Desert is just dead wrong.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/5390-Armory-Stats-Battle-Net-Shop-Mounts-Poll-Ring-in-the-New-Year-Beyond-the-Worlds

Three different mounts at over 16% of 2.2 million players sampled.  The list as a whole represents over 2.5 million mounts sold.  This list doesn't include cash shop pets and cosmetic services such as appearance/gender/race change services.  As you say not enough to fully fund the game, but not as trivial either. 
    Thank you for this link. If only people ceased to post gut feelings and "facts" from their asses.

Games are unsuccessful not because people don't spend money for skins but because the game just sucks or the game publishers are greedy .

... yes, the latter is only my opinion but at least I am honest enough to admit that.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    DMKano said:

Imho I don't think anyone is forking over the cash just for +1 gathering or 0.5m jumping.
    edited February 2016
    Herase said:
    DMKano said:

Imho I don't think anyone is forking over the cash just for +1 gathering or 0.5m jumping.
    Jump 0.5m more in pvp than your attacker and see how much advantage it gives.

Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:

BS. Rift and GW2 both have some badass costumes that people shell out money for. I even bought some myself. Did you really ever play an MMO before all this new trash came out? Because it doesn't seem like it. People in MMO's always enjoyed the cosmetic part. Dyes would be some of the most sought after and expensive items in some games, even Daoc was like that.

100% agreed.  There are many people that support cash shops by buying costumes with no stats.  There are games that have been played by hundreds of thousands that have been around for more than a decade in which cosmetic items with no stats was their only source of income (Ie., Second Life).

Comments like DMKano's have to be taken with a grain of salt.  It is the mentality of a player that sees little value in a game if it doesn't involve combat, conquest, or a power creep component that pits players against one another in a competitive platform.  The concept that some players would enjoy a game centered around a vertical progression, cosmetic enhancements, journey, a community uniting against common NPC enemies as opposed to PC enemies, escapes them.

edited February 2016
    Herase said:
    DMKano said:

For those arguing that PvP doesn't ruin MMORPGs, or that PvE adjustments are somehow more detrimental to an MMORPG than PvP adjustments, this is a perfect argument to the contrary.  If it wasn't for the PvP factor in BDO, would an increase of a 0.5 in jumping ability really matter?  Would any of these stats make a difference one way or another?

When your common enemies in an MMORPG are NPC's, items sold in a cash shop are rendered much more irrelevant than when your common enemy is another player.  If anything, they would be welcomed by many in the community because teaming with players equipping these items would aid the community as a whole in defeating the common NPC enemy.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Does anyone really expect any game to have a cash that is 100% cosmetic any more? What planet do you live on? This is not hard to figure out people. They make these games to make money not provide you with free entertainment. If you don't like it then don't buy it, seems simple to me. The sense of entitlement is getting silly here. Scam citizen is charging 250$ for a picture of a ship in a game that doesn't exist and people are mad this game is asking for 20-30$ for a costume? Get over it or go get a job or something. It costs almost 100$ for two people to go to a movie and a decent dinner these days so crying about a 9$ purchase in a video game seems a bit stupid to me. 
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Herase said:
    DMKano said:

For those arguing that PvP doesn't ruin MMORPGs, or that PvE adjustments are somehow more detrimental to an MMORPG than PvP adjustments, this is a perfect argument to the contrary.  If it wasn't for the PvP factor in BDO, would an increase of a 0.5 in jumping ability really matter?  Would any of these stats make a difference one way or another?

When your common enemies in an MMORPG are NPC's, items sold in a cash shop are rendered much more irrelevant than when your common enemy is another player.  If anything, they would be welcomed by many in the community because teaming with players equipping these items would aid the community as a whole in defeating the common NPC enemy.
    100% agree, but also feel these stats have no weight in a PvP environment either, considering I can get items from NPCs or even titles that give 3x more the amount these items give. On top of that, not sure how +1 gathering or +1 luck will give me any sort of power advantage. If you actually sit and look at those stats, they only really effect PvE, if not at all. 

But do think it's fair for people to demonstrate or give a breakdown of how these are advantages, no?
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

If jumping was as high as games like WoW.  Did you see how high a normal jump is in BDO?  It will not give you an advantage.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Jacobin said:
    Myrdynn said:
    I just feel like people who are against companies making money are the same ones voting for Bernie Sanders, yes the game is made, who cares?  The company still needs an income, it still needs to pay employees, and B2P isn't going to cover that forever.
    Ultimate apologist detected.

Plenty of games do just fine without ruining the integrity of the game by selling stats for cash.

I am a consumer, not a charity. I only care if the product is good - how they pay the bills is not my problem.

What you seem to be missing is that using shady / cash grab tactics to 'pay the bills' just drives customers away.

I am hardly an apologist, the stats on items are negligible, if someone having .5 m jumping kills Black Desert then by all means don't play.  I don't see anything shady at all and you as a consumer should care if the product is good but also that the company is profitable, or the product wont remain on the market.  We don't pay for maintenance in any game hardly anymore, and companies need to provide alternate means of profit.  Nothing on the shop changes how you or I play the game.

Bottom Line
    If the cash shop in BDO is really what is keeping you from wanting to play, then really this isn't a game that you were going to play for more than a month anyways

If jumping was as high as games like WoW.  Did you see how high a normal jump is in BDO?  It will not give you an advantage.
    you are just taking the 0.5 meter extra jump in consideration, what if the player combo it with his class escape ability or other sort of escape combo? that extra 0.5 meter goes more than 0.5 meter in tense situations.

Herase said:
    Herase said:
    DMKano said:

100% agree, but also feel these stats have no weight in a PvP environment either, considering I can get items from NPCs or even titles that give 3x more the amount these items give. On top of that, not sure how +1 gathering or +1 luck will give me any sort of power advantage. If you actually sit and look at those stats, they only really effect PvE, if not at all. 

But do think it's fair for people to demonstrate or give a breakdown of how these are advantages, no?
    What if they start selling costume with +10 or 20 to all stats or + 2 meter to jump? It always start as small boost but then suddenly one after another big boost costumes show up. Have seen it being done in many chinese and korean mmorpg or morpg.

• kumobladekumoblade Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I love it when there's more content in the cash store than in the actual game. 
    It proves that the 'game' is nothing more than a device to facilitate the cash shop and not the other way around.