Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really pleasantly surprised!

2»

Comments

• A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I did some good research ingame in my 10 hours streak to figure out the mechanics...

what i love...

-A vast open world, beautifull and challenging you to get over the horizon.
    -A combat system that requires quick action as well as tactical thinking and a good strategy. It looks simple but it is so deep...
    -great annimations.. Not just combat but also emotes and crafting..
    - roads are populated with travelers, towns are busy with NPCs, make sthe game feel alive. I think the travellers might be generated by PC actions based on their node connections..
    - crafting system is huge, not only your persoanl crafting, but also you can build your empire all actoss the world, with workers, houses and nodes..  Its huge unsee before, not for me, i dont like the minimanaggement thats involved, but allwoing crafters to build their empire is something i love about the game.
    - mini games are everywhere, some are really fun, and offer diversity
    - many things like world discoveries and crafting are account wide.
    - the knowledge system is very innovative.. Everywhere you go, you gather knowledge, openining up new quests everywhere, also this is acountwide, so your 2nd character gets offered different quests(if you are a quest players) that take you in a different direction if you let the quests lead you, adding to the replay vallue of the PvE part of the world.
    - the story and some of the NPC's are actually well done, in combination with the gathered knowledge they add alayer of lore in the world that makes it come alive..  
    - PvP pennalties and rule should make up for a fun place for those that PvP, while making palyer killing of non PvPers quite harsh..  This makes PvE still an option..   Its much less a gankfest then other PvP oriented games, think before and who you kill...  I can see the good old PK hunting find new roots in this game..
    - the way pets and mounts and carriages add to the depth of the game is also innovative.. Pest gathering your loot, having extra luggage space and such, same goes for mounts, they offer extra bagspace...
    - i indeed like the autorun instead of the usuall teleporting, you can chat with friends and guildies while your character is on the run, it adds to the social parts of the game... EQ once had long pauses between fights which was the base of social interaction between players.
    - grinding mobs gives a bit of the diablo feel, of massive slaughter and bloodshed, which is allright with me..

but most importantly, its the general feel that this world feels like an actuall living and breating world to me, is what made me decide to order the game after a single day of beta...

the weak points so far

- overcrowded starter area's which are unavoidable in a truely open non instanced world
    - where friendly NPCs have social avtivities, enenmy mobs so far, just stand around to be slaughtered.
    - no challenge in PvE so far, everything is soloable, and then there is not much that gives a challenge at these lower levels, it also gets confirmed that this holds true for higher levels to. Which is sad, because the combat system really lends itselves to add spice and challenge to PvE fights.  Sadly its to late for them to correct this, because if they added challenge in the right way, it would also be great for the PvE endgame..

now how would i add challenge, quite simple, the deeper you get in ennemy territoriy, the harder the mobs get, forcing people to work together, first in small groups, later in bigger groups and in the end in fullfledged raid and mega raid groups..  Espescially openworld dungeons lend itselves for this... Combined with some spice upp mechnics like oldfshioned trains it could have made this world the sandbox we all have been wayting for...

if they ever open PvE challenge servers, i will be there...
    I was like you on many I made the mistake and whent on a crowed server and I messed around till lv 9  I let my 10 yr old made a toon on there account and I suggested they take the lower pop server at the time they hit lv 10 way way faster then I hit 9 at Launch Im gonna go to a low pop 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I am concerned about PvE challenge as well.  If I can faceroll everything I don't think I'm going to find the game very interesting.  Should be a pretty easy fix for them though.

There is a way too much clutter on the ground, I'm looking for a way to turn it off or reduce it.  I've not seen a way yet.  I would also think that the distance you can see would be very important in a PvP game.  But this game has things popping up 10 feet away.

Gonna try this out and look over some tutorial videos as I'm sure there is much to the game other than some questing and too easy PvE.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Cougan said:
    Heh the feeling of finding monsters outside the quest circles, off the beaten path is pretty cool. People were like "there are no imps!" in the chat as I wandered past a patch of untouched ones miles away. Made me feel like I was in some unexplored valley.

I only got to level 10 I want to experience the crafting and fishing before the beta is over.

Yes that's true, there ARE quest mobs elsewhere. One just has to do a bit of exploring.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Call me a paranoid but sometimes you think certain people on this site can't bare to see an Asian mmo do well and be enjoyed. 

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited February 2016
    The moment I saw the 30 euro pre-order doesnt even get you access to beta events... yea, I think I know what kind of game this is going to be. 
    Keep asuming...

asumption is the mother of all frackups...

Like the assumption which people are making after a few hours of playing that this will be a great MMO? My comment was sarcasm but if you really want to see if an MMO is any good, play it for a month or two. Check balance, check endgame content, check itemization, check character progression, check monetization, check if challenge is based on difficulty or rng, etc. 
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    YashaX said:
    ArChWind said:
    Svarcanum said:
    I've only read negative things about this game since the Korean release. This must be the least hyped game in a long while. But my first 10h in game have been wonderful. I agree with almost all design decisions (I love automating as a replacement for teleports for example) . This feels like the game I've been waiting for since vanguard. Only less theme park (which works better for me nowadays). The sheer amount of things you can do is astounding.

I fun side note. After about 10min of overcrowded questing I went off the beaten path to grind mobs (oh how I have missed mob grinding!). I was so happy I could just grind mobs instead of being forced into questing! 

The only negative so far seems to be the lack of visual gear customization, something that sadly vary well could end up scaring me away. I wanna put as much care into my clothes as I did into my physique when creating my character. 

I get that most people don't like the sandboxy nature of the game, but for me this is wonderful! 

At level 50 you go grind mobs and someone comes along and says 'leave or I kill you?" because they want your grind spot. Question. Are you okay with PvP?.

I like sandbox but so far I haven't been able to do much but get to level 10 in under 45 minutes with some auto run thing that goes off whenever I close a quest window so level 50 would be around 4 or 5 day? Maybe I need to do more questing in this sandbox?

If someone is nice enough to ask you just change channels.

Level 10 takes about an hour, but I spent the next three hours not even getting to level 12, and I still am totally overwhelmed by the complexity and depth of the game systems - its likely going to take months to fully grasp the fundamentals.

Oh yes and level 50 is not the level cap, nor is character level the be all and end all of progression in this game; in fact character level seems to be of relatively minor importance in terms of progression, but that is probably a hard concept to grasp for people programmed to think mmo = race to level cap, then grind dungeons and raids.

To be honest I probably didn't give it a fair shake. I do have concern if people will be happy with it in a few months and what is going to happen with the cash shop. Will population fall off? I invest in long term play example 11 years in EQ2 which is dying now. It has changed so much in the last 3 years I have lost interest to the point I'm considering stopping the sub and I am looking for something new .

BDO may be all grand a glorious today but at release will we get the bait and switch?

Not saying they would but I am approaching this like all previous eastern releases.

I really enjoyed games like 9 dragons and forsaken world but later on it DOES become necessary  to use cash shop or you stall out.

Going to give it the benefit of doubt and play some more this weekend but as for buying it, not going to until after the first few months and see what the status is.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Recore said:
    Great to see people enjoying the game. 

Only problem I had  was the game was so damn crowded with players. 

Hopefully today will be better. 
    The first day was horrible. It's better now though. My newbie wizard did the starting quests with ease.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/