Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wondering about coming back

apocadallapocadall Member Posts: 64

I was a long time player, since release to about maybe 5-6 months ago. I'm contemplating coming back, but I havn't really heard anything good about the combat upgrade. How has the game changed for the better or for the worse since I left?

If anyone was on Sunrunner server, maybe you remember me, Soveliss Sittow of the LEGIO guild.

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

For the better.

No more god mode. More balance (especially in PvP).

Game is more dangerous now, but also more rewarding.

There is a now a reason to group  (faster leveling, less danger), while keeping the option to solo alive.

Dominance of melee professions reduced again to normal levels, inlcuding Jedi powers.

No more Mind hits dominating combat. Now there is only health to target and action points are used for specials and mind points for healing. You dont kill yourself anymore using special actions :-)

You will find plenty more details if you browse the threads here.

have fun

Erillion

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by apocadall
    I was a long time player, since release to about maybe 5-6 months ago. I'm contemplating coming back, but I havn't really heard anything good about the combat upgrade. How has the game changed for the better or for the worse since I left?
    If anyone was on Sunrunner server, maybe you remember me, Soveliss Sittow of the LEGIO guild.

Hmm some people liked it some didn't. If you liked god-mode buffs and the ability to run up to a lair and solo 15-20 critters at once you probably won't like CU. On the flip-side if, like me, you found that fairly rediculous then you will like the CU because you can still solo that lair but you don't want to fight more than 1 or 2 (3 if you are REALLY good) critters at a time.

If you liked having to get buffs to wear armor you'll hate the CU. If you hated having to get buffs to put your armor on you'll probably like the CU

If you were a doc you'll probably be annoyed with the fact that Doctor is now a combat profession in a lot of ways (no more sitting in town buffing for XP and money). Newer docs seem to like it ok though.

If you were an artisan before the CU you probably will be annoyed by the fact that many of the required components for items were changed so you'll need to go out and get new resources.

If you were a jedi before the CU you probably won't really care.

If you were a Padawan before the CU you'll probably whine along with the other padawan because the game is now balanced. A Knight is still pretty tough to take down but padawans aren't very difficult until they're close to finishing their template.

If you were a Knight pre-CU you probably won't care about it at all because knights are still extremely powerful.

The HAM is pretty much gone. Mind damage and action damage were removed to simplify combat and allow them to more easily balance the various combat professions (not necesarrily a good thing but I understand why they did it). All damage is now done to the health pool.

Health pool scales as you increase your skill in elite profs. The combat level of a character (which used to be invisible) now affects how many hitpoints you have. As you get closer to CL 80 (basically a double elite master) your ham goes from 1000 (noob CL1) to 3000 (CL80) in all stats. There are still buffs and powerups that can boost your ham up into the 4000+ range. Mind is used primarily for healing, buffing, etc while action is used for combat special attacks, etc. There are attacks that remove/reduce the ability to regen mind/action for certain professions.

Hope this helps.

Oh... and the combat queue was removed. Now you can only pre-stage 1 attack beyond the one you're doing. You have to wait for your weapon to recycle (recycle time) which some who don't understand the system have taken to call the 'cool down' timer. It's just your weapon recycling. If you have a 1.4 recycle time it takes 1.4 seconds for your action bar to become available. If you have a 1 second recycle time it'll take 1 second. Specials take longer so you have to kind of pay attention to the recycle times of what you're using. Typically people toggle between 2 or 3 special attacks to maximize their damage output.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• apocadallapocadall Member Posts: 64

Sounds like they fixed alot of things to sorta the way it was back in the beginning, everyone needing a large group to do stuff, I remember joining raiding parties of 20-30 people to take out tuskan fort and we'd all get killed, it was awesome.

Sounds like alot of problems have been fixed, even if the Jedi population still seems high.