Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plenty of Blade, But What About Soul? - Blade & Soul Review

Comments

• solpariahsolpariah Member UncommonPosts: 19

mcrippins said:

Nice review. I agree. Game has a ton of potential, and as a person who has level up 2 lvl 45's, the PvE is so Linear, that even the decent story doesn't really do it for me. Pretty frustrating, because I want one of each class at max level lol.

I absolutely agree here. I love the aesthetics of the game but the content is lacking. If you love and spend all of your time in an MMORPG just PVP'ing then you'll enjoy this game. If you want more PVE content, choices and varying experiences aside form different classes, I highly recommend playing something else.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

JDis25 said:

Spot on Review. I could care less about the lack of PvE content as I know more is on the way, and I can run the same dailies with this combat. The dailies are actually big raid zones and can pose a bit of a challenge. You can't sleep and play with one hand and do need to focus, it's fun. More fun than farming dungeons in WoW for example, or questing literally forever for Veteran Levels in ESO, if only by a little.

Got to LOVE the people who say OW PVP is non-existent. These are the same people that want "Consensual PvP", you know what happens when we give people that option? no PvP happens.

You might say, BnS should have PvP servers, and I would agree. Except they would be all low-pop, dead servers and you do need people to accomplish things in the open world. Which is why I liked Archeage's take on OW PvP before all the stupid scheduled events were added.

Actually, one of the people saying OWPVP is nonexistant is me, and that doesn't describe me at all. I played Archeage and left as a Pirate. Full stop.

What good is OWPVP when people can jump channels, flag and unflag, and switch factions at their leisure? OWPVP is bogus in Blade & Soul its meaningless. There's no points being controlled for any reason. No commerce or economy to persuade no "GG/Well played, see you next conflict". It's mostly people abusing the mechanics and wiping people who forget to take their dobok off when zoning in somewhere.

Blade & Soul OWPVP Verbatim:
    "Reds/Blues in channel 7, lets get em"
    "Goes to channel 7. Reds/Blues got to channel 11."
    "Reds/Blues in channel 11, go get em"
    "Reds/Blues get rekt. Reds/Blues remove dobok. No more PVP"
    "Some reds turn blue (and vice versa) because easiest road traveled to progress"
    "Looking for Reds/Blues to trade kills for daily"
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wushu was better.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Pretty sure "Something that is taught and repeated over and over" is the exact definition of "skill"...
    Yeah, and in 99.9% of MMOPRPGs (Not this one since it has normalized gear) I can still have bad ones and get good at PVP. 

I still remember the Vanilla WoW Rogue YouTube showing PVP with only 3 abilities mapped to the hot bar.

I actually tried to search for it to link it and apparently, there is now a one button Sub Rogue macro for Rogues.........LOL
    Yeah that's taught and repeated. 

Mad Skills.....mad skills.
    That's one of the major appeals to this game.  You actually really need to learn a whole bunch of stuff and practice a lot to be good at PVP.  And it's never an auto-pilot type thing.  People can always try to counter what you're doing.
    I'll give it another shot.....I'm not hopeful, it didnt' appeal to me, but I'll try a different class. maybe something will connect
    You can blaze through the levels if you're really only interested in PVP. You can do 1-30, where you get your first PVP quest, in a day or two. You can start doing PVP at 15, I think, but it's not really feasible for most classes because so many skills are locked. Since you're interested in seeing how much skill it takes to succeed in PVP, I suggest rolling a KFM, BM, or FM as those are the three classes that take the highest amount of mechanical skill. Make it your goal to hit mid gold which is somewhere around 1750.

Or make a destroyer and revel in the blood of kawaii lolis and their goddamn piece of garbage cat that can stun me while the Summoner is CC'd. Bit salty about them atm. 
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

DMKano said:

Mitara said:

The combat might, might... be good for mindless melee fighters, but for mindfull sorcerers that need a little more, this game is ridiculously bad.

What you call mindless I call skillful.

What you call skillful I call a game of "who has the lowest ping"
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    So far I give it a 3/10. I saw this coming.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DilandauDilandau Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Good review, I had tons of PvE fun in the game but it gets a but lackluster after a while. But combat is great I think, really wish more games had combat like this.

TERA is another favorite but it lacks the combos like BnS have. Bought some coins and have a month of premium but after that I think I will let this game go until they have made a bit more appealing to the western audience (if they ever get there that is).

Since I am a MMO addict the next play will be BDO so always have something to tie me over ;-)

"Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of its trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse for impossibility, for it thinks all things are lawful for itself and all things are possible."

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited February 2016
    Dilandau said:
    Good review, I had tons of PvE fun in the game but it gets a but lackluster after a while. But combat is great I think, really wish more games had combat like this.

TERA is another favorite but it lacks the combos like BnS have. Bought some coins and have a month of premium but after that I think I will let this game go until they have made a bit more appealing to the western audience (if they ever get there that is).

Since I am a MMO addict the next play will be BDO so always have something to tie me over ;-)
    Will BDO be that much different, or just with the same weaknesses as BnS?

Well the first difference is of course the B2P model which will discourage some of the gold sellers. It may also deter some of the more distasteful ftp playerbase that can drag a game down.

It will of course look significantly different, which will be an initial reaction but then dulled by familiarity.

Then the important content items: pve and pvp / story / questing.

I've seen posts saying there's very little to do at end level, I hope these are being a bit negative and there's more to it than that.
    Otherwise it may just be another stop gap on the road to waiting for the next new shiny.
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Is it the best game.... NO but it's a not bad... The combat is really fun and yeah it's all combos but then again most games are. It dose take skill to land the combos unlike tab target. I liked the story too, but the end game AAAAaaaa that's where I get a bit lost!! It's all about the farm for gold but then again there arent a lot of games that have a good end game..... I mean after all the game is over at the end and the end is the end... means there nothing left because you're at the end!
  • dream402dream402 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    i myself give it a 6 for the story i could play 4 cause a of a unfixbul disconnecting problem that a lot of players seem to be having myself included
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Still haven't got around to trying this game but hopefully I will soon. Thanks for writing this review and giving me an idea about the merits and demerits.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    So because they have a horrible clan system and no Voip set up what category does that fall under?

I would assume the clan system would be polish but you gave that category a 9. Voip or any other things certain game do or dont have might be a miscelaneous category which you dont have
  • Elysion28Elysion28 Member UncommonPosts: 26

tet666 said:

URMAKER said:

i couldn't stick with it and i even paid to get passed those queues. it was seriously about as mind numbing of a gaming experience as i've ever had. it takes more than great combat...at least for me. here lately its been 2-3 months tops as far as new mmos i've tried but i lasted like 2 weeks here(lvl25). from everything i've heard/read its all about the 1v1...i could be wrong. i want a living breathing world with a variety of different things to do that are somewhat engaging and i didn't get a sense of that at all with bns.

You should look into some older games then, games like that are not very popular these day, even the upcoming BDO is actually an even more shallow game then BnS it just looks a bit prettier.

Can you please explain how BDO is more shallow than Blade and Soul?

1. BDO doesnt have content (yet)
    2. BDO only a mindless hack & slash game
    3. BDO had only pretty graphic
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    You need to really really like PVP to enjoy this game. I tried it hoping to find some good PVE and it was non-stop linear quest running, very boring.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    LoL i still can't get enough of this mmo and I'm mainly a pve player.

What makes it for me is i never pay attention to leveling, you forget because your having too much fun i guess. The cross server dungeon finder is legendary, "Looking for... Entering dungeon" Yes that quick, it doesn't even have time to finish the sentence. lol

Maybe peeps aren't digging into the classes enough, they are much deeper than you might first think.

Yes, the review has valid points, but does it matter when your having this much fun, no not really.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    edited February 2016

JDis25 said:

...Got to LOVE the people who say OW PVP is non-existent. These are the same people that want "Consensual PvP", you know what happens when we give people that option? no PvP happens.

You might say, BnS should have PvP servers, and I would agree. Except they would be all low-pop, dead servers and you do need people to accomplish things in the open world...

I'm curious if a game sets up consensual PvP or PvP servers and what you end up with is "no PvP" and "dead servers" doesn't that suggest PvP is such a niche market that games such as Blade and Soul should not force PvP on players? Let me add, I have no problem with PvP, or games designed for PvP players.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited February 2016
    Wylf said:

JDis25 said:

...Got to LOVE the people who say OW PVP is non-existent. These are the same people that want "Consensual PvP", you know what happens when we give people that option? no PvP happens.

You might say, BnS should have PvP servers, and I would agree. Except they would be all low-pop, dead servers and you do need people to accomplish things in the open world...

I'm curious if a game sets up consensual PvP or PvP servers and what you end up with is "no PvP" and "dead servers" doesn't that suggest PvP is such a niche market that games such as Blade and Soul should not force PvP on players? Let me add, I have no problem with PvP, or games designed for PvP players.

That is exactly the point JDis25 is making.  BnS is a consensual PvP game.  A player has to wear a specific PvP outfit to be subject to PvP.  In other words, BnS does not force PvP on players.  When/if a player wants to engage in PvP, they wear the PvP outfit and engage in PvP.  If they do not want to engage in PvP they just wear a non-PvP outfit.

I do tend to disagree with the post, however, in that I don't believe that the people who say OWPvP is non-existant are the same people that want "consensual PvP."  Often times those players who say OWPvP is non-existant are the type of people who want non-consensual PvP, for obvious reasons.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    edited February 2016
    Deleted, double post!
  • johnc3najohnc3na Member UncommonPosts: 12
    BNS is THE best game to play right now if you are a fan of PVP, specifically 1v1s. If you don't like PVP then the game may not be for you. People complaining about ping are salty because they suck at the game. At diamond+ rank there is a pretty good distribution of all classes. Yes summoners have an easier time to get to gold/plat because they have a lower starting skill floor but all classes skill ceiling is equally high. Best NA player right now is a force master for example, not a summoner. I don't really understand the people coming into this game and complaining that it's centered around 1v1 and not PVE or OWPVP. Have you done any research before downloading the game? 1v1 is an eSport in Korea, obviously they are going to promote the same thing in NA and EU. SMFH.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited February 2016
    Anybody who want's to do "conesensual PVP" are people who want it on a per battle basis. Arenas and dueling. B&S does this fine.

OWPVP is for people who agree to play in a world that can have conflict at any time and the political metagame that arises from it. If you don't want this, you don't f%^king want OWPVP.

Flagging/unflagging, switching channels, and switching factions/teams with no conseqeunce are not features of OWPVP they are features that remove accountability and allow people to circumvent responbility for their in game actions.

I don't even know why the faction feature is in Blade & Soul nor why carebears are being forced to pick a side to complete PVE challenges. It wasn't necessary. It's not done well, it doesn't add to B&S. Does anybody familiar with the native version have any input about how OWPVP plays out in future versions?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited February 2016
    johnc3na said:
    BNS is THE best game to play right now if you are a fan of PVP, specifically 1v1s. If you don't like PVP then the game may not be for you. People complaining about ping are salty because they suck at the game. At diamond+ rank there is a pretty good distribution of all classes. Yes summoners have an easier time to get to gold/plat because they have a lower starting skill floor but all classes skill ceiling is equally high. Best NA player right now is a force master for example, not a summoner. I don't really understand the people coming into this game and complaining that it's centered around 1v1 and not PVE or OWPVP. Have you done any research before downloading the game? 1v1 is an eSport in Korea, obviously they are going to promote the same thing in NA and EU. SMFH.

I think we have reached a point in MMORPG development that we can fairly conclude that developers are not going to abandon the inclusion of PvP in MMORPGs.  Doing so will limit their bottom line profit potential and they are just not going to allow that to happen.  Accepting this as a given, we have to then start making a decision of the direction that we want developers to take when considering the implementation of PvP and PvE in MMORPGs, and communicate that preference to developers with our wallets and through the various available mediums.  IMHO, out of all of the MMORPGs that incorporate PvE and PvP, BnS does it the best. It may not satisfy everyone, but it manages to find a happy medium.  Does it lack depth in features that other full featured MMORPGs offer? Yes it does.   But the manner in which BnS mitigates the incorporation of PvE and PvP into the MMORPG genre alone, IMHO, makes BnS worth supporting and promoting.

What we have with BnS is a perfect example of players who are unable to look beyond their own personal preferences and judge a game fairly for what it does, instead of what each individual person wants it to do based on their own personal preferences.  It is no secret, and I have gone on record numerous times stating so, that I am not a fan of PvP in MMORPGs, and I am especially of the opinion that PvP and PvE in MMORPGs do not mix.  This does not prevent me, however, from exercising an objective PoV and seeing a game for what it is, and giving it due credit for what it does, if it is done well.

Although done rather well, the manner in which PvE and PvP is incorporated into the game is not the only feature worth promoting.  It's obvious strength, and the main reason this title should be supported is its outstanding combat mechanic that sets it apart from its contemporaries.  And yet another feature done really well is its LFG/Dungeon Group Finder feature.  This is the best I have seen in any MMORPG.  It allows players to not only easily find groups by utilizing their own server group finder, but also allows for a cross-server group finder, and even allows for a player to manually create their own group if they so desire.  Those are just three crucial MMORPG features that BnS does exceedenly well. There are others that are not as crucial, but I realize opinions will vary depending on personal preference.

We have to start somewhere, and BnS has a good foundation from which to build on.  Its one thing to criticize the game for its lack of the full-featured MMORPG depth, it's another to throw the baby out with the bath water and continue to be left with the mess in MMORPGs that developers have been giving us for the past few years with no relief in sight for the foreseeable future.  
    Post edited by LacedOpium on
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,500
    That's a fair review. I couldn't care less about the PvP though so NCSoft has their work cut out for them to try to keep the PvE crowd interested and playing.

And I'll agree that guild (clan) caps are ridiculously low. We've had to create separate guild for alts and when you're playing on your alt, it's like playing in a ghost town. It's definitely *not* a good plan to keep customers playing as I will always play a game for much longer if I'm playing with people I enjoy playing with. But if I can't even talk to them (because they're on their mains while I'm on my alt or vice-versa) then interest wanes much faster. I'll probably get my alt to 45 and then go check out BDO. Maybe I'll come back to BnS when the expansion releases.
    edited February 2016
    Samhael said:
    That's a fair review. I couldn't care less about the PvP though so NCSoft has their work cut out for them to try to keep the PvE crowd interested and playing.

And I'll agree that guild (clan) caps are ridiculously low. We've had to create separate guild for alts and when you're playing on your alt, it's like playing in a ghost town. It's definitely *not* a good plan to keep customers playing as I will always play a game for much longer if I'm playing with people I enjoy playing with. But if I can't even talk to them (because they're on their mains while I'm on my alt or vice-versa) then interest wanes much faster. I'll probably get my alt to 45 and then go check out BDO. Maybe I'll come back to BnS when the expansion releases.

This brings up another feature in BnS worth supporting.  Every other level they offer every player the opportunity to complete a survey regarding their game play experience with BnS.  The surverys cover virtually every facet of the game with bullet point questions, as well as allowing the player to provide written suggestions with a max limit of 200 words at the end of the survey.  The concern being brought up in this post is a valid concern that should be included in those surveys.  If enough players voiced their unified concerns in those surveys, that change should be forthcoming.   One has to remember, developers have a vested financial interest in keeping a player base satisfied.  Hopefully, players are utilizing this survey tool to effect change.  If we are not using it, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I've said it in another thread but this game is a 6/10 at best from me. The most important aspects for me are game world, exploration, and group play. All those fall well short of what i consider acceptable at this point.