Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XP bar gone! This Dev team will be your Dungeon Master and reward you at the end of the night!

2»

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    therdre said:
    Isn't there some game thats been around for like 10+ years that does server shutdowns daily? I think a few people still play it  =)
    What game is it? 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    EQ2 lol,that game goes down what seems like every or every other day.
    Unless they plan on changing the game world,adding in some xp or some loot rewards and a few stats does not warrant a server shutdown.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MedwyndMedwynd Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Ghavrigg said:
    therdre said:
    Isn't there some game thats been around for like 10+ years that does server shutdowns daily? I think a few people still play it  =)
    What game is it?
    EVE
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Wizardry said:
    EQ2 lol,that game goes down what seems like every or every other day.
    Unless they plan on changing the game world,adding in some xp or some loot rewards and a few stats does not warrant a server shutdown.
    This is not just how you get your stat increases but its also how the King decides if he should provide you and your real mates with gear, trophies, and crafting materials. We cannot judge the system until we see it though. If it is a 30 minute or less shutdown and it also weeds out the bots and people trying to macro and abuse the skill system I will take a 30 minute shutdown at 3 am server time every night.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    edited February 2016

I guess it's cool they're planning to hide this info but since it has to be shared with the client data miners or whatever you want to label them are going to have all this info on the web within a week of launch. Then you'll see posts like "Make sure and check out XYZ's guide to most efficient leveling" or "What actions give you the most contribuition to a battle" (see GW2 where support and healing provided no contribution until recently) before you download the game.

Players are always going to look for the most efficient and easy way to get to their goal. You may be able to slow them down but since a most efficient path always exists it's going to be found, utilized, and distributed. I mean it's the era of the internet. Pretty hard to keep a secret these days.

Steam: Neph

I guess it's cool they're planning to hide this info but since it has to be shared with the client data miners or whatever you want to label them are going to have all this info on the web within a week of launch. Then you'll see posts like "Make sure and check out XYZ's guide to most efficient leveling" before you download the game. I mean it's the era of the internet. Pretty hard to keep a secret these days.
    But what if they changed the values on a weekly basis?
    Marc is trying to change how players play like that. They want you to just enjoy the game and be rewarded for playing how you like. They don't want you circling the same 60 yards tagging and AoE killing mobs for 8 hours. So I wouldn't put it past them. I am not sure who would actually get mad. If they saw people in one area over and over they could nerf the exp there and up in somewhere else.
  • LedrirLedrir Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Game developers control what rewards or punishments players get in a game.  Therefore, they have the ability to encourage a certain way of playing they like and discouraging what they don't like. 

I think what they want is for people to make progress in the game while having fun adventures.  IMO they do not want players to find the most efficient way to progress and grind that over and over even though it is not fun to do.
    This game isn't targeting that larger crowd. They often state such a thing when they did their videos. This isn't the game for PVEers.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I think they are trying to avoid the flaws of Warhammer Online where people didn't play the RvR content, and if they did they abused it to get fast exp and renown.

It also seems they try to encourage people to play as a realm against another realm, not as a group of individuals with some common goals. How many times have you played on PvP server and seen a fellow player of your faction been attacked by an enemy player and no one of nearby players don't bother to help him because there's nothing you would gain for doing that. You probably just waste your precious leveling time and can even get ganked for a long time.

A few years ago i played Aion on PvP realm, and witnessed a similar event. This asmodian guy killed 3 elyos players in a row, alone, only because none of them didn't want to interfere in PvP when they were farming in the abyss.

CU is definitely going in right direction in terms of massively multiplayer online game. It seems to be the first game in long time that promotes playing as a community rather than a group of solo players minding their own business only. Even though i usually don't enjoy PvP games much, and i'm not particularly good at PvP i'll definitely check this game out.
    Torval said:
    Varking said:
    I didn't say anything about PVE.
    When you used the example of kiting and killing the same mobs over and over, that is literally PVE. If you want to own an area of the map and kill players, this may be something for you. Grinding the same computer character over and over isn't going to get you to "level" up faster than roaming the open world realm vs realm areas taking forts and keeps.

Also, when you talk about their loot system for doling out rewards, how can you make the claim it will cause an outrage? Where is the proof in that? Show me another tri realm open rvr game that makes players happy by giving them all the same rewards every day they log in. 
  • tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Mark Jacobs needs Paul Barnett to hype up stuff like this.  For example:

Or maybe not- I think half the reason Warhammer tanked so bad is Barnett tuned up the hype level to an impossible level.
    Warhammer was so damn good for a while. I bought that game day 1 and took three days off of work....lol
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Aethaeryn said:
    he explained one thing well I have had a hard time putting my finger on.  The ease of completing quests on autopilot is indeed a "grind".  Clicking next and skipping text and following an arrow is just as dull as just grinding mobs.  The player could choose to play differently of course but sometimes games do seem to drag you forward and never slow down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgySmQg0gM

Absolutely love the idea of players not knowing how much xp they get etc.  Leaving that behind the scenes will take away that feeling of having to do something because it is more efficient etc.  again, of course you don't have to focus on that in other games as well.

Actually I find quest grind much more tedious than mob grinding because I've spent the last ten years with one garbage quest grind after another.  Going back to mob grinding is like breath of fresh air. 
  • flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Players will figure out the most efficient way, they wont be able to hide it for long at all.
  • GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Well, if they can incorporate ways to block\avoid player's data mining; parsing; packet sniffing and any other ways of exposing the most efficient method of playing, this might be interesting. Otherwise, as was previously stated, many players will just take the road of least resistance and maximize their game time.

One thing I am not so in agreement with though, is Mr. Jacobs statement that this methodology will relieve we players from worrying about getting the next level; experience\skill points etc. and would instead allow us to freely pursue any activity we desire. All I can envision is many frustrated players on a hamster wheel constantly spending increasing time due to worrying that they need to in order to achieve better gains when the rewards are distributed.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong but given the history of instant gratification instilled in recent MMORPGS,  trying to change player social behavior so dramatically is very risky indeed.
  • LedrirLedrir Member UncommonPosts: 69
    A fond memory I have of playing DAoC was when I played Albion on the Classic servers.  There were a couple of guys who ran a battle group every night and anyone could join.  They also had a team speak server that all could join.  Every night I could logon and join the battle group and listen to those guys and the other interesting characters in the bg and have fun fighting for the realm.

I hope that CU creates that kind of community where you can log in and join something and not worry about grinding but just fight for the realm and have fun.  Of course this was a large force/zerg that would usually attack or defend keeps.  It was mindless fun with not much pressure and everyone could just relax and enjoy fighting for the realm.