Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizons Could it possibly be the next best MMORPG?

I'm between MMORPG's at the moment.  Played all the big ones and am just waiting for something new to play.  I had put Horizons in the 'play until the really big titles come out' WoW, EQ2, etc.  But having read about the game over the past few weeks I'm starting to think it may well be the next big title.  It may even have the power to draw those Hardcore gamers away from EQ.  I realise that the written word is not always what you finally see in the game but it does appear to have great promise.

Having read all about Horizons What do you think?

Hoodwink - Half Elf Ranger

Quote:"The Insect Keeper General, sitting astride his giant hovering aphid, surveyed the battlefield which reeked with the stench of decay and resonated with the low drone of the tattered and dying mutant swarms as their legs kicked forlornly at the sky before turning to his master and saying, 'My Lord, your flies are undone.'"

Hoodwink

Comments

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

I'm sorry, im not sure I understand...

are you saying that it is better than how EQII and WOW are gonna be?

because...personally I doubt that--just my opinionimage

• ZaradisZaradis Member Posts: 241
    I think he's saying it might have to potential of being one of the best mmorpg coming out right now, and it very well might be due to the fact alot of people are fed up with SOE. Horizon could be the next big thing right beside WoW, it's like the film industry there is so meny bad sequals one production studio can do before a person gets annoyed and says Fluck this that Horizon movie looks good.

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467
    Yeah that's what I got, a sorta this one is great because everything else out there to compare it too completely sux.

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

• dougfrippondougfrippon Member Posts: 206

well I looked at some screenshot and read a bit...  and this game doesn't get me to much

What is so fantastic about it?

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well i too am fed up of SoE.They have become the microsoft of MMRPGs.

They are also the first to hack up prices.They were first to make it 12.95 per month before others followed .They have done it again with SWG making it 14.99 and i am sure others will follow.

Basically they are setting a bad example for rest .

I mean come on 400,000 x 10 dollars =4 million per month.Tell me that did not cover cost easily.

No they had to make it 13 dollars.

SWG is same .

Horizons graphics is not bad at all considering it been in make since 1999.It had a graphics revamp also so unlike the other latecomer shadowbane it is near asheron's call 2 standards.

• RyntisRyntis Member Posts: 13

trying not to break the non-disclosure agreement or whatever i agree to i wont go into detail.. but horizons beta (not including the crashes) is too frustrating. Reminds me of AC2

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    It's a BETA,  it's not suppose to be good. :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

"It's a BETA,  it's not suppose to be good. :) "

This is late beta, is suppose to be anyhow. I mean when was it suppose to be released, august? (last month) So the beta cant be that backslidden.

"Horizons graphics is not bad at all considering it been in make since 1999.It had a graphics revamp also so unlike the other latecomer shadowbane it is near asheron's call 2 standards."

Actually, I think the graphics look worse.

"What is so fantastic about it?"

Ya, thats what i've been wondering myself, its not promising much of anything innovative in gameplay. And pretty much nothing new that is being promised, or has been promised. Imo, big dissapointment from the original version, it's like makeing a chocolate cake and adding no sweetening. It may look good, but its still bitter.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

You have to remember for a game to redo all their graphics takes extra time and money... and so far the only people with that is SOE.

I'm glad they are still in BETA,  would you want another DAoC,  SB or even AO to be released?  I hope they fix most of the bugs before they go live. . .

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • ZaradisZaradis Member Posts: 241
    This is i believe the first mmorpg you can be a dragon,build bridges, towers that can reach the sky, enemies that hunt you, you're not the only hunter but also the hunted. I'm sure someone who is well educated with this game tell you more of what it offers.

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312
    Most of the people know this.

As some things can be right and useless, can't some things be wrong and priceless? -Viktor Suikoden I

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Djin,was in DAoC beta and there on day 1 of launch smoothest beta and launch i ever seen was amazing even on my crappy system back then.

Actually that was what attracted me to DAoC back then the smoothness of the game.Only few people in beta actually tested RvR(took me half my beta time to actually realiise that we are suppose to go kill each other in battlegrounds hehe) which contributed severely to the class imbalance plagueing the game till date.

Only thing i remember most asking to halt the game to release was the RvR because it not been properly tested.

• nalanala Member Posts: 173
    I agree with this person in that I think that it could be the next big game.  And whats so fasinating about it...have you seen the playable dragon...have you read about the indepth tradeskills that could keep you satisfied for an entire game...have you heard about the undead hoard who attacks with intelligence and when the dev team thinks the players are getting to strong will make them attack...have you heard about subjugated races that the players have to band together to free to make the playable???

• redtigerredtiger Member Posts: 124
    According to the last chat log I saw from the guys at AE they're shooting for a November release so I imagine the Beta is going pretty well at this point. Hope the NDA's get lifted soon so we can hear all about it from the lucky ones who get to play it now.

• HoodwinkHoodwink Member Posts: 61

Nothing special?  Thats exactly what I thought to begin with.  You do have to look closer at the information to see what they are begining to promise with this game.  Look over the lastest IGN journals.

'Next big game' - What i'm trying to say is that Horizons could join the the likes of EQ, DAOC, AC, AO at the top of the tree.  i.e Not being an 'also ran' like AC2, SB, RoE. 

Hoodwink - Half Elf Ranger

Quote:"The Insect Keeper General, sitting astride his giant hovering aphid, surveyed the battlefield which reeked with the stench of decay and resonated with the low drone of the tattered and dying mutant swarms as their legs kicked forlornly at the sky before turning to his master and saying, 'My Lord, your flies are undone.'"

Hoodwink

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I have read a lot about Horizons and currently it is promising a ton of new things and innovative gameplay, much more so then either WoW or EQ2 have announced so far.  The question is if they can actually provide everything they have promised and make it work.

They are providing ways for the players to really have an affect on their world far greater then in most mmorpgs.  The world is locked in a war against the withered aegis (undead horde thingie).  The players all start in the "civilized" countries at the core and are surrounded by the lands controlled by the undead which is the "frontier".

Unlike in many games where that frontier would be a static thing where you cross over and meet static spawns and know where the borders are at all times, in Horizons there is a constant push from both sides to push into the others lands.  Some of the undead spawn from spawn buildings and march into the civilized lands to try to capture more terrain.  Some more powerful creatures will actually assemble armies before marching off and if they take over new land, will build new monster spawn buildings in the areas they have taken over.

Players can push back the frontier by fighting out into it and destroying spawn buildings and undead villages or bases which has true affects on the borders.  Once they have cleared an area they can then build homes, shops, villages, even castles to help secure those lands.

Some of the races are pretty unique and exciting.  The crafting system sounds rich and fun.  There are alot of great things if they can make it work.  Graphically it doesnt really compare to WoW or even EQ2 which will probably hurt it a bit, but if the gameplay is good enough I could see this being one of the top mmorpgs.  /fingers crossed

• redtigerredtiger Member Posts: 124
    The spawning systems sound really cool. where'd you get the info about the land/terrain aspects?

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Hz is a SAE game. Probably more like S---EA, dashes to show the gap between S and the others

WoW is AES and EQ2 ASE or SAE (still yet to be seen)

Being a AKE type person, anything with S in the 1st slot won't interest me. No matter how good of a game it is.

No idea what I'm talking about? Read: http://www.brandeis.edu/pubs/jove/HTML/v1/bartle.html

Find your RPG type: http://www.andreasen.org/bartle/test.cgi

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• ArkArkArkArk Member Posts: 6
    "Horizons Could it possibly be the next best MMORPG?"

If horizon's is the next best, what's the first best?

;-)

www.oldageplaystationers.com