This is a continuous topic in various threads where people think because the payment was X days/months/Years ago, they cannot get a refund from CIG or do a charge back.
That thinking is false, no matter what CIG tells you.
The '14 days' grace period applies after the goods is delivered as promised.
1. 'as promised' doesn't even qualify with what's in the PU. This is the reason why CIG does not contest a charge back from the credit card company. They have to prove it and CIG knows they cannot. Yes, fanboys will try and contest this through mental gymnastics but this is between CIG and VISA/MC.
2. If CIG go down the 'it was a donation' path, ask why they are charging for VAT for UK transactions. This involves TAX (which all companies dread) so CIG will 100% back down from that path, else the UK tax department will be more than happy to go 'can we see your books please?'.
3. The response from CIG might have some threatening words like "I would also need to advise you that if you request a chargeback incorrectly that this would in itself be considered a fraudulent action."
Those words are meaningless as they don't apply here and it is a scare tactic. The statement is also illegal in countries like USA/UK.
I'd also like to point out that 'As Promised' includes 'time of delivery' which as we all know, Chris Roberts has decided to not give one because people kept on asking him about missed deadlines.
Charge Back Reference Material
1. The first thing would be your correspondence email with CIG when you asked for a refund. If there are threatening words by CIG in there, highlight them cause banks generally don't like their customers being threatened.
2. What is in the PU is not enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__BVG8bx-e0&feature=youtu.be&t=36m&ab_channel=ImperialNewsNetwork
"It is not what most company would consider Alpha" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAE9co2LJq8&feature=youtu.be&t=2310&ab_channel=StarCitizen
Q: "Can you name a feature in the PU that is actually finished?" A: "No" / "Nothing is finished"
3. According to Chris Roberts, 'really upset' is a valid reason to get a refund and they have refunded 1200 backers.http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/22/star-citizen-has-refunded-over-1200-backers/
4. Additional scope will not delay the project delivery date of Nov - 2014 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description
Ex2. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12734-Draft-FAQThe purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period. This turned intohttps://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14839-Letter-From-The-ChairmanWill it take longer to deliver all this? Of course! When the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases.
5. TOS changes https://web.archive.org/web/2015022...ustries.com/tosAccordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of your Pledge shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has failed to deliver the relevant pledge items and/or the Game to you within eighteen (18) months after the estimated delivery date. https://web.archive.org/web/2013092...ustries.com/tosAccordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of the deposit shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has failed to deliver the pledge items and/or the Game to you within 12 months after the estimated delivery date.https://web.archive.org/web/2013081...ustries.com/toshttps://web.archive.org/web/2012091...tries.com/terms
6. Various features are now in question or gone
Original KS link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description
a. Oculus Rift support for SC / SQ42 -> http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/38006332
- "I can't answer that"
b. Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play) -> http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/31/co-op-missions-yanked-from-star-citizens-squadron-42/
c. Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU) -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoGxOxzAwc&feature=youtu.be&t=1h50m50s&ab_channel=geekdomo
- "We will be live and in operation for some time before anybody even looks at private servers."
Latest deadline missed; Feb-2016https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15138-Letter-From-The-ChairmanOur goal is to release a new update every month (so January’s would be SC Alpha 2.2).
Update Feb - 2016This story had a happy ending as the bank sided with the client but it can catch you if you are not careful.
Chris Roberts is on record that 'financial hardship' is a valid reason for requesting a refund.http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/20/9180067/star-citizen-backers-claiming-refunds-are-getting-their-money-back
If there are cases where people are really upset, or facing personal hardships, on a case by case basis we take a look and we refund
However, CIG refused to refund this person's pledge because of this reason.
When the person tried to argue of 'non-delivery' in the charge back the bank got the response of 'no, that client claim financial hardship. This is fraud.' from CIG.
Client amended the story to be both 'financial hardship and non-delivery' and the bank sided with the client.
As I said before, always always stay factual and objective. Use the reference material here. CIG missed every promise date including Jan / 2015.
There are enough materials out there for the system to side with YOU and not CIG.
It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard
Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi