Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon or Bust

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,255
I'm done with poser MMO's that are really single player RPG's on steroids.  After 15 years, it's about darn time for a real MMO.  Pantheon will deliver or not, but my chips are there.

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'm done with poser MMO's that are really single player RPG's on steroids.  After 15 years, it's about darn time for a real MMO.  Pantheon will deliver or not, but my chips are there.

Why would you want to interact or join another player in an avenue such as an MMO where it's possible to play simultaneously with thousands of others in a shared space. That's crazy.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,512
    edited February 2016

Pantheon or bust for me also.

When I complain about nothing being an mmo I get " play the classics ".  Well it's not that easy, they all sold out to cash shops and made easy.  FF11 and EVE are not my style, so this leaves me with Vanilla WoW.  Don't get me wrong, I really like Vanilla WoW but it's the only option for me.

I guess you have Project 1999 ( EQ1 ) and Project Gorgon.  But being turned into a cow turns me off, and I didn't grow up with EQ1 to catch up on the tedious learning curve. 

Pantheon is not only a REAL MMO, but I believe it will be a GOOD MMO !........For me, realistically, Pantheon only has two directions Great or Fail.  The only way it can fail is if it's not 100% of what they say it is, or released to early.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,380
    I have waited like Linus in the Pumpkin Patch for too many games that never saw the light of day to put all my eggs in one basket. But I will support this game until someone calls time of death. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56

FF11 and EVE are not my style, so this leaves me with Vanilla WoW. 

Man I wish ffxi was still a "classic" id still be playing, but sadly this game has been a solo focused straight to the top game for awhile now the decline happened with abyssea xpacs then then the whole game got a face lift with seeker xpac setting the soloing and quick leveling in stone the game is a former shell of its self.

There is sadly almost no games you can get that old classic feel from unless you dabble in private servers but they are always lacking be it code or just population numbers. But still iv spent more time in them then any of these new mmos in the past 5 years. Last game I bought was ESO played for a month and found it shallow and unchallenging nothing has even peek my interest sense.

All my chips are on pantheon as well if it fails well looks like ill be giving up on gaming and finding a new hobby because im sick of be fed shit for games.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,430
    *shrug*

I've played in the MMO-realm:

- Lineage 2 - couple months, mostly I got shanghaied into it by a friend
    - Guild Wars - 3 days
    - Vanguard - 7 years

So yeah, if Pantheon is enough of a Vanguard successor to convince me, I'll play it. Otherwise I wont play MMOs.
    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    edited February 2016
    Same for me. 

I have played them all. Well all that even remotly had a chance of being fun. At least 40+ MMOs.
    Pretty much want to say i have seen it all and know exactly what i want. I am not exactly hardcore about my ideas,.. if something i usually dislike is done great, i don't mind it. A good example would be WOW. I dislike easymode, but that game just did it well enough to still keep me for 3 years.

My history has been pretty much:
    EQ: 8 years straight + 1-2 months every now and then up to today
    WOW: 3 years
    Vanguard: 2 years
    Rest: 1 - 90 days at best

The more "free" a game got, the less fun i had and the more expensive it got to actually have fun. So a funny coincidence.

If have been skipping MMOs for the past 5 years,.. only checking back for EQ and every second WOW expansion. If Pantheon fails to deliver this trend will get worse and i may give up on MMOs.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    You may as well start looking for a new hobby now then. Nothing run by McQuaid has any chance. I was all on the Vanguard hype train back in 2008 or so and look how that ended up. Pantheon won't even do that well. These crowdfunded games made by industry has-been's are just a way for them to get paid for pretending to make games. None of them have been successful and some never even see the light of day. 
  • Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    donger56 said:
    You may as well start looking for a new hobby now then. Nothing run by McQuaid has any chance. I was all on the Vanguard hype train back in 2008 or so and look how that ended up. Pantheon won't even do that well. These crowdfunded games made by industry has-been's are just a way for them to get paid for pretending to make games. None of them have been successful and some never even see the light of day. 
    Jaded much?  I want to borrow your crystal ball when youre not using it.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    donger56 said:
    Considering none of the crowdfunded games created by "has-beens" in the industry have yet to be released, this comment is nothing but conjecture.

McQuaid is just about the only oldschool dev to even make a second MMO, and while it launched early and, as a result did poorly commercially, the game is beloved by many.

donger56 said:
    To be 100% honest here, even tho vanguard had issues at release, it was far from Brads fault alone. I am not even sure if he could have fixed the issues any better then he did try. Most people bashing him don't even know what happened and just love to have a person to point fingers at.

Then again: If vanguard is Brads worst job, then his worst is already better then 99% of current gen MMOs. Sooo... good for pantheon to have this guy on board.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,413
    donger56 said:
    What an insightful and original post.  I'm really not entirely sure how we all made it this far without this mind blowing insight.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Dullahan said:
    donger56 said:
    Considering none of the crowdfunded games created by "has-beens" in the industry have yet to be released, this comment is nothing but conjecture.

McQuaid is just about the only oldschool dev to even make a second MMO, and while it launched early and, as a result did poorly commercially, the game is beloved by many.
    Well technically this is his 3rd MMO! Probably one of the very first launch that made people realise that you get to launch only once, failure to launch right the first time is costly! As long as they can get the financing to last, im not too worried!

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    As soon as you start putting your hopes into an MMO, you're in for a disappointment.  You've already placed a greater expectation on the game than it ever possibly could deliver.

People need to realize that the more you know about a game before it's made, the less interest you will have in it when you actually play it.  You'd be better off never visiting any site that mentions said games ever.  Wait until it releases... then see if it is the game for you.  At least then, you are seeing the game as it was meant to be seen... with a fresh set of eyes, not a pair that has already seen everything on the internet.

What kills games faster than anything is over exposure... and that my friend, it totally in your own hands... you know, like refraining from peeking into a christmas gift before christmas day.  Why spoil the surprise?  And yet, spoil we do.

NO GAME WILL EVER LIVE UP TO YOUR EXPECTATIONS UNLESS YOU HAVE NO EXPECTATIONS AT ALL.
    Pepeq said:

NO GAME WILL EVER LIVE UP TO YOUR EXPECTATIONS UNLESS YOU HAVE NO EXPECTATIONS AT ALL.
    Not wanting to sound rude, please bear that in mind,... but... you must be a sad sad person.

Many games have surpased my expectations, no matter how high my hype was. Sure, only 2 MMOs managed that (and one came close), but plenty of single player games simply rock.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,190
    edited February 2016
    Good for you, i prefer to look forward rather than backwards but each to their own. 

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Pepeq said:
    As soon as you start putting your hopes into an MMO, you're in for a disappointment.  You've already placed a greater expectation on the game than it ever possibly could deliver.

People need to realize that the more you know about a game before it's made, the less interest you will have in it when you actually play it.  You'd be better off never visiting any site that mentions said games ever.  Wait until it releases... then see if it is the game for you.  At least then, you are seeing the game as it was meant to be seen... with a fresh set of eyes, not a pair that has already seen everything on the internet.

What kills games faster than anything is over exposure... and that my friend, it totally in your own hands... you know, like refraining from peeking into a christmas gift before christmas day.  Why spoil the surprise?  And yet, spoil we do.

Sounds like a personal problem.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Same here, not that im really hyping myself up on a game with only ideas, concepts and alpha footage to go by, (not to mention the funding fraud controversy) but seeing as how this is the only old school, sub-based MMO in development... why not?

Signed up as 'Supporter' yesterday and if I ever get my freakin email verification (!!!) ill will probably do a few months just to give my tiny bit of help on the project.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,380
    Remember how Jerry Seinfeld would date beautiful women but always find some tiny flaw in them to break up over? Games can be like that. If you are focused on finding flaws, you will. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,065
    This game looks very interesting, and I'll throw my hat in the ring.  But they won't get my full support, or my money, until I try it out and decide I like it.  I'm glad I used that premise with Blade & Soul and Black Desert Online.  Neither of those two is getting any of my money.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    Pepeq said:

This is only true of games with little substance. The real problem is the formula thats been in use for the last decade. It leads to games that only feel like more of the same. I know, I've played them. Even the ones I didn't follow provided me with only very brief enjoyment followed by buyers regret.

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    The future's not bright for mmo's right now and the worst it's been in years, I still skip between wow, lotro, secret world and a couple more, I follow here and mop and right now I have to say Pantheon is currently the only mmo in development that ticks all my boxes, the only other one is EQ Next but at this point I have totally given up on it ever been released or even related to what was suggested previously by soe and I think day break will end up releasing a cash in on the ip.

Would I back it via crowd funding, nope and even though I liked Vanguard I also have read the story and know its troubled development so I would not put money till its close to release, Brad has to earn my trust on this one after the previous.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• JigawattsJigawatts Member UncommonPosts: 48
    There are only two MMO's currently on my radar, one is Pantheon of course, the other is Camelot Unchained. One PVE game, one PVP game, and the beauty of that is that each will provide a laser focus for its intended playstyle without mucking up the other. No unecasary nerfing of classes abilities in one area in an attempt to balance for the other.
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    GladDog said:
    This game looks very interesting, and I'll throw my hat in the ring.  But they won't get my full support, or my money, until I try it out and decide I like it.  I'm glad I used that premise with Blade & Soul and Black Desert Online.  Neither of those two is getting any of my money.
    Brad has mentioned that the first couple of levels will be free to try, so that may work for you Gladdog.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,905
    Saga of Lucimia or Pantheon for me.

Saga has the philosophy that I am looking for in my MMORPG design as well. The two teams have, it seems, a strong mutual respect, which I get. Both are doing stellar work.

IF both of these fail to land, which I sincerely doubt, then, yeah, I will stick with EQ until I finally get worn out on the genre for good.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member UncommonPosts: 564
    edited March 2016
    Vesavius said:
    Saga of Lucimia or Pantheon for me.

Saga has the philosophy that I am looking for in my MMORPG design as well. The two teams have, it seems, a strong mutual respect, which I get. Both are doing stellar work.

IF both of these fail to land, which I sincerely doubt, then, yeah, I will stick with EQ until I finally get worn out on the genre for good.
    Anybody else? Hard to believe noone? Are they THAT special?