Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard is still money hungry.

2»

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I always laugh when people think a company is being greedy. These same people will cry when they can't find a good job. In today's times it seems like people want everything given to them for free or almost free. Then they also complain and cry when companies go overseas (from USA standpoint) or close up. 

I love Blizzard is doing well and also being greedy, that means more jobs for people and good games down the line. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Brenics said:
    I always laugh when people think a company is being greedy. These same people will cry when they can't find a good job. In today's times it seems like people want everything given to them for free or almost free. Then they also complain and cry when companies go overseas (from USA standpoint) or close up. 

I love Blizzard is doing well and also being greedy, that means more jobs for people and good games down the line. 
    Greed is good , but the blind shouldn't be greed .
    Behind the greed are great gears that work together , just one wrong move and everything get crush .

BTW , i don't like the blind being greed , cause they drag other with them when they falling to the hole they dig . (aka kickstarter)

Blizzard pretty good , they cancel TItan cause they can't make it good . And that's wise .
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Alders said:
    I don't see any way Blizzard launches another MMORPG. I think they themselves know they had the perfect storm of everything lining up perfectly the first time. I don't think they can do it again and i believe they know it. 

Other genres are where the money is now. Leave this one to the niche crowd.
    Blizzard themselves are an example of how it's somewhat likely they'll return to MMORPGs:
    • Enter a genre. (Warcraft 1-2)
    • Dominate the genre. (Starcraft, Brood War)
    • Watch the genre decline because nobody bothers putting the same design muscle into their games (lots of RTS clones made, but none quite achieving the same level of success)
    • Let the genre sit for a few years.
    • Return to the genre to create another success.  (Starcraft 2)
    Seems like a likely path they could take with MMORPGs too.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited February 2016
    If they're chasing the design standards they show in that trend then I worry about their next MMO.

EDIT: Besides which, that was not an intentional setup on their part. The time gaps were mostly from shifting focus across their IPs and releases while several projects consumed a lot of their time just to end up getting scrapped. They literally ate several years of productivity just on the premise of they didn't think the games would perform.

This caused a big time gap before turning their focus more directly on D3 and SC2, where D3 went through a couple iterations before launch which dragged out it's production, and SC2 had a gap where a lot of the team was on Ghost and had to be shifted to development on SC2 so it's production was simply delayed.

The reasons Blizzard would look at another MMO would be if they could see something they could make work and stand out for the genre. They had been working on a new MMO under the "Titan" moniker, but it was cancelled and Overwatch was what popped up in it's wake when they shifted direction to a more contained title.

As it stands Blizzard is looking at e-sports, they are not thinking about another MMO.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Forgrimm said:
    or they can just do something new .. wait .. they did. Overwatch (at least new for Blizz). 

In fact, let's make it interesting. Anyone want to bet, against me, that Blizz is not going to make a new classical MMORPG in the next 2 years?  (precisely 1/30/2018).

The stakes is publicly say "I told you so" .. and the loser has to publicly admit that they are wrong here, on this forum. Any takers?
    When Blizz cancelled Titan, I think they pretty much sent a clear message that they won't be going in the classic MMORPG direction with any new games, at least for the foreseeable future.
    I agree. But some others here seem to be in deniable.

So again, any takers of the bet? If none, i guess even those who wish Blizz will make another classical mmorpg are just saying it without much conviction. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Greed is not good. Stop downplaying the term. There is a difference between companies seeking to be profitable and greedy ones. Seeking to be profitable means trying to create a fair and equitable trade where both come away feeling like they "won". Greed just means separating people from their money knowing full well, you aren't providing a a fair and equitable value in return for their money. 

Now, the real question is Which companies aren't greedy?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited February 2016
    Greed is not good. Stop downplaying the term. There is a difference between companies seeking to be profitable and greedy ones. Seeking to be profitable means trying to create a fair and equitable trade where both come away feeling like they "won". Greed just means separating people from their money knowing full well, you aren't providing a a fair and equitable value in return for their money. 

Answer: None of the above.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Alders said:
    I don't see any way Blizzard launches another MMORPG. I think they themselves know they had the perfect storm of everything lining up perfectly the first time. I don't think they can do it again and i believe they know it. 

A Wow 2 released somewhere in the 2020s would earn loads of money, don't believe anything else.

Right now it would also destroy Wows current playerbase so they can continue using it as a milk cow as long as it is the top earning MMO.

But Wow will eventually loose that position, heck, in Korea is the older Lineage actually pretty close to pass Wow and while some people here a few years back thought Wow always would be the top MMO it will eventually drop below 1 million players. That could be nex year if Legion really sucks but it is likely it will happen 5 years or so from now and then Blizzard could either leave the genre to other companies or make a sequal.

Any other game besides Wow 2 is a total gamble and one I wont give that great chance but just make a poll "would you try/play Wow 2" here if you don't believe me.

Releasing a new MMO at this time would be risky at best, it could kill the goose that lays golden eggs but do anyone here actually belive that a sequel once Wow becomes small enough wouldn't be a sound investment? They would get in all development costs just on pre-orders.

So I think you are wrong long term but right in this decade.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Alders said:

you think blizzard will create something like clash of clans or candy saga? lol
    bc THAT is where the big money is atm ^^

but actually... didn't they buy king some time ago? :) nm

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:

Answer: None of the above.
    A short list to be sure.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited February 2016
    It's also pretty subjective. When one company sells a product, some will call it fair value, others will call it greedy and gouging.  

The publics view on apple products is a great example of this.

So the answer could just as easily be "all of them".
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Wow was far ahead of it's time in terms of mass appeal and smooth fun gameplay. Diablo 2 and Warcraft 2 were also ahead of the times, there's no reason Blizzard can't pull it off again. They can adapt and improve like they always do, even Hearthstone is already far more interesting then MTG simply because of the interactive online component.

It's true Blizzard seems to get less innovative with each year but to say they have no chance at making another successful MMORPG is ignorant, at best.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Lol...There is no way they would make an mmorpg ever again.

Most people are in a fantasy land, This is blizzard (2016). Not blizzard past

Every one from the golden days are gone and they have made it very clear anything they make in the future must be accessable, casual and involve esports.

If by some slim chance they did make another mmorpg it would be no different to wow current with the above design pillars in tact.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited February 2016
    I don't think Blizzard is in a rush to make another theme park MMO. The development costs are so high and the risks are much higher now with so much competition.  They get much better profit margins from some of their other games.

My guess as far as WOW goes is they'll have a few more expansions and then make WC4 and see where to go from there.

I believe that Titan was going to be an FPSMMO like Destiny and they rethought their plans.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Funniest. Thread. Title. Ever !!!!!! =)
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Alders said:
    "I don't see any way Blizzard launches another MMORPG. I think they themselves know they had the perfect storm of everything lining up perfectly the first time. I don't think they can do it again and i believe they know it. 

Other genres are where the money is now. Leave this one to the niche crowd."

They're in a perfect position to take the MMOFPS genre. They only have WW2 online, Planetside 1 (which is a dead game) And Planetside 2.  If they came out with a MMOFPS in the Starcraft universe, it would be very popular.   Think of a StarCraft RTS game, imagine the fps being all that where each solider is a player, each vehicle is player driving it etc.