Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it dead? Is it crap?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Mannnn, the lack of forum activity for this game...Is it that bad?  Is it dead?  I was thinking of giving it a try, but I don't want to waste my time.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2016
    Great game , pretty strong pop , and one of the deepest MMOs on the market ... jump in and play to 50 and the layers and depth of building out your Ship , Fleet , space and ground crews gear and skills has many many layers , and give seemingly endless ways to tweek these systems ..
    psychosiz1LeFantomeAgent_Joseph
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2016
    If you played the game anytime in the last 3 years then it plays the same way today that it did then.  There is more content but you play it the same way. There are more ships, crew and equipment.

The ships and crew can, mostly, be slowly acquired if free to play*. Or you can buy the same stuff through the cash shop by either buying the cash shop currency and/or earning that same currency through a subscription. You can also take your chances with the RNG boxes requiring cash shop keys

When I have gone in game there is a lot of activity around the main stations and major event locations. The population is still concentrated on the Federation side with the Klingons and Romulans trailing along far behind.

The people that like the IP are playing it. The people who don't care aren't.

* Actually most of the ships must be purchased from the cash shop or the RNG boxes.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    On the flip side, they are down to just a couple servers, and most people have quit.

Game is very shallow and  is centered around getting you to buy lockboxes. Like other PWI games.

Game is ok for the occasional bit, but it is far too shallow and repetitive to stick with for any length of time. And the grouping tools still suck. And there is no Z axis for combat/flight. And the sectors are tiny. PvP is mostly pointless.

STO's shortcomings are well known at this point.

Harikenpsychosiz1
    Burntvet said:
    On the flip side, they are down to just a couple servers, and most people have quit.

Game is very shallow and  is centered around getting you to buy lockboxes. Like other PWI games.

Game is ok for the occasional bit, but it is far too shallow and repetitive to stick with for any length of time. And the grouping tools still suck. And there is no Z axis for combat/flight. And the sectors are tiny. PvP is mostly pointless.

STO's shortcomings are well known at this point.

I really have no idea what game you played ...
    psychosiz1Tokken
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    The two most important things for me:  Is it fun, overall?  And, are people very social?
    DMKano said:
    Did they ever fix the horrible lag that made the game unplayable ?
    I have never experienced lag .. but i have seen others complain in global occasionnally , usually following an update ..
    Agent_Joseph
  • MMOreaverMMOreaver Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Most player that still play STO do not post in these forums.
    Also many are in guilds, and endgame is about fleets and guilds - in between you do daily missions and what you like.
    A very nice part is Space combat and the option to also do Ground combat missions. But not each captain is good for ground, and Tacticians rule Space - at least once you have a nice Ship fitting your playstyle ;D
    That said a good Tank with BeamOverload3 can become almost godlike (even if fights take longer).
    See for yourself, it´s worth it..
    WTF, Windows 10 is detecting the ARC installer as some kind of threat and won't run it...
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    There were complains about privacy issues (aggressive 3rd party tracking software) and Arc.  I play it through Steam and can activate the game without Arc.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Ohhhhh it's on Steam?  Perfect, TY!
    Agent_Joseph
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I remember years ago asking about this game.

My question:   Do you need to be a fan of Star Trek to enjoy this game?

Answer:   It is required you NOT be a fan in order to enjoy the game.

I still haven't tried the game but did find the answer amusing.
    Hariken
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    MMOreaver said:
    Most player that still play STO do not post in these forums.
    I used to post :wink:  and sometimes Nagus too, among a few others. Actually in the last few days I added into a random post on each day the actual freebie, so I'd like to grab the opportunity of being in a STO thread and it's on-topic now :lol:
    Captains, don't forget to grab the freebie cosmetic pack of today (it's Fed only, though...)
    flizzer said:
    Just as amusing like when Abrams and Lindelof said at the reboot, they're aiming the new audience who barely knows Trek and it's not a goal of theirs to please old fans :wink: 

I think the answer you got is a correct one, you don't need to be a fan to enjoy the gameplay, mechanics and stuff. It's good though, if you like sci-fi. And if you like Trek, it's even better.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    I only played it a couple of hours and found the ground combat clunky and the space combat unintuitive.  I uninstalled it pretty quickly.
    psychosiz1
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Torval said:
    WTF, Windows 10 is detecting the ARC installer as some kind of threat and won't run it...
    Check to make sure it's not a third party security software. I have Arc installed and haven't been given that warning. Like Octagon said you can download it through Steam.
    You don't need ARC, so don't install it unless you want to. The game is also on Steam, which bypasses the whole ARC thing fortunately, i am not entirely surprised that Win10 picks up Arc as a threat though, the software is possibly a bit more intrusive than Steam is.
    STO community is pretty helpful and friendly, at least the last time i played which was over 6 months ago, the space part of the game is not bad, the ground part was still terrible, and for the most part for me things seemed to revolve around mining and gearing up the ship, best not to spend much until you get to a fairly high level though, and if you want to get decent ships/weapons, you do have to spend, but its not as usurious as some games, and yes, the game does have gamble boxes that you have to buy keys to unlock, and the gear from them is significant, particularly for the mining boosts too, which makes things a lot easier than without.
    Its not a bad game for playing once in a while, it gets boring fast as there is little variation, and having to do away missions is just tedious, definitely a game where your mileage will vary based on whether you like that side of the game, i didn't.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited January 2016
    flizzer said:

Yeah.

Some of the biggest critics of this game were hardcore trek fans, who were gravely disappointed by all the things wrong or that made no sense in STO, in regards to canon. People used to go on for pages about that stuff.

I would agree that except for a few of the hardest core fanbois that remain for this game, it helps to not be a big Trek fan if you want to like this game.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Burntvet said:
    [...] I would agree that except for a few of the hardest core fanbois that remain for this game, it helps to not be a big Trek fan if you want to like this game.
    I think it's not hardcore-ness, more like flexibility... You can be a full-blown trekkie and still like the game, if you can accept some adjustments according to gameplay mechanics. Sure, if someone wants everything to be strict to the canon by the letter... a quick way to disappointment :wink:  (especially since STO is placed after all the series and novels, so Cryptic has a freedom to form the events)

Anyways, anniversary b-day freebie. Grab your T4 ships, fellas :wink: Too bad it's rank restrictred, so lowbie captains will miss this one.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I play it casually, I jump in every 2 weeks or so and do a mission or two to get my Star Trek fix.  Introducing new ships with OP modules and lockboxes falling like rain that you need to buy a key for keep this from being anything more.  If you are a Trek fan, I do recommend playing for free to get that ST fix but that is about it and this is coming from someone who purchased a lifetime sub to it before it was released.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475

Wait, is this game not canon? But they had Tuvok, Seven of Nine, Tom Paris appear in the Episodes.

I like this game. Having Space and Ground Combat in one game is amazing. Something games like Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are still working on.

Unlike Competitive PvP games like Archeage and Black Desert, having a P2W cash shop in STO doesn't bother me at all. In fact i am often looking forward to see new ships appear on the market.

Foundry system is something every MMO should have. It's a way for players to express their creative ways by creating their own stories. It keep players playing with out involving Developers.

And let's not forget Housing. Building your own Fleet Starbase, is a fun process. And Devs keep on adding new stuff to it. Embassy, Spire, Dilithium Mine,  Research Facility.

I am glad STO switched to F2P - it helped it grow and survive for 6 years now.

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    You can run Star Trek Online w/o arc.
    Sorry I don't have a link explaining how but I know you can because I do.
    There was a shitstorm when the old Cryptic lifetime members were told they had to switch to ARC and PW backed down on making it mandatory.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Jonas_SG said:

Wait, is this game not canon? But they had Tuvok, Seven of Nine, Tom Paris appear in the Episodes.

The game itself is not canon. It is however one of the few active components of the Star Trek IP and many actors that have played in ST seem to be happy to reprise roles even for the game. Because the game series is kinda based further into the future than any other trek stuff it kinda makes it a little out of reach of what the movies and TV series have done before. I don't think the new series is trying to take place in the same time frame as the game either.

So there might be some things based off STO lore, but we're unlikely to see anything directly pulled from it to become canon.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2016
    Thourne said:
    There was a shitstorm when the old Cryptic lifetime members were told they had to switch to ARC and PW backed down on making it mandatory.
    The only thing you have to do is create a shortcut to the STO launcher itself. The default STO shortcut that is created for you goes to the ARC application which then runs the STO launcher.

You can also run and patch Champions Online and Neverwinter Online directly instead of through the ARC application.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Grunty said:
    Thourne said:
    The only thing you have to do is create a shortcut to the STO launcher itself. The default STO shortcut that is created for you goes to the ARC application which then runs the STO launcher.
    Thanks that will be useful when I swap my drives out soon.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    I enjoyed it up to 50. Then the grind for rep to get better gear sets in and i never have enjoyed that type of gaming.

I suggest people try it out and see if they like it. Just be careful of the shop. They sometimes screw up what what you buy and getting it fixed is a hit or miss proposition.  

FTP to 50 is ok or if you like grinding for gear for rep after 50 is ok.  That is my feelings on the game.