Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

25% off for lifetime till February 5th - FunCom in dire need of money?

ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
25 off Grand Master Pack and 50 FREE Bonus Points

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    just received the above email...
  • macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Gota get them moneys in for Conan survival sim
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    macwood said:
    Gota get them moneys in for Conan survival sim
    Was my first idea as well ;)
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    It's not a news because of the discount, they used to put GM up for a sale pretty frequently (actually the sale second before this, a year ago, was much better :wink: ).

The news is the discontinuation (? maybe that's not a word, not native english here :wink: ), and that's an answer to your question as well, I think... if they're in dire need, the wise choice would be to keep GM option in the roster, and putting it out on sale occasionally, just like they did during all these years.
    So, I'm a bit worried now... first "season" is over, #13 is out, now it'd be the time to start working on the story follow-up. Instead of that, they're pulling out the GM option.
    (or maybe it's simply because of the dwindling sales? I mean, during the years everyone and their grandma bought the GM pack, at least among the regular players)
    Ok, adding some fuel to the fi... I mean some additional infos about the GM pack removal (since it's not in the news section yet)
    http://www.thesecretworld.com/membership

Reception is varied, based on folks are in the "glass is half full" or the "half empty" camp, in the range from "this is a great move, they should've done it years ago", through "it will turn f2p (or even p2w)", all the way to the doom'n'glooming "game will close down in a year".

What's clear that subscription will be more useful from now on (since currently it's pretty worthless, b2p with occasional FC point purchase is much better). Cooldown, lockout timer and 50% more BB... nice advantages. Just like the Loyalty rewards instead of the IotM (though some Items were cool).

I guess we'll see next year, how this chang will turn out on the long run...
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    I got a coupon for 1/2 off Corn Flakes the other day.
    Somehow I don't think Kelloggs is going anywhere.

Sales a sale.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Lifetime = until they decide otherwise.
    edited January 2016
    DMKano said:
    Every business will do specials to drum up sales.

Thourne said:
    I got a coupon for 1/2 off Corn Flakes the other day.
    Guys, again, the news is not the GM sale which happens frequently, it's the removing of GM and the subscription changes (I admit Reizla's thread title is misleading a bit :wink: )

Currently the game is b2p, with the option of sub / lifer sub, but only as a convenience (discount on cosmetics, auto-purchase option for content upgrades, etc.). The only "real" boon is the xp boost, which can come handy, but not a big advantage.
    Now they're changing it for real, valuable advantages. Which is common for f2p titles, but currently (as a couple folks guessing it will change soon :wink: ) the game is b2p... So, how can they say "just buy the box, and that's it" when there are also meaningful sub benefits?

Also, with this the removal is making sense, so far the lifer sub -just like the regular sub- was just a convenience, if you want to subscribe, but don't want to hassle with the payment option all the time, just pay once, and you're lifer for good. But after this change, and with the Loyalty piling up, lifetime sub will have a raised "value", so it's a smart choice to remove it. (And yep, in this context the sale is just a quick cash-grab before the changes go live in a few days)
  • BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Pepeq said:
    Lifetime = until they decide otherwise.

I have been a lifetime since I started playing, which is one year after the release (didn't even know the game existed!). I have been actively suggesting to remove the lifetime but hey guess what, like 3 years later I am still getting my monthly credits.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I've had enough TSW to last a lifetime!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Just an update, since many complained about the short notice before GM will be gone for good, they extended it until 9th Feb.

Also, I think it missed the news section so far: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/united_we_stand_group_finder_and_shambala_have_arrived  (it was even hotfixed since then :wink: ). I'm not into pvp, but the group finder seems cool, especially the random part.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Based on their new sub model (pay for time in advance = you get upfront bonuses), they needed to end the the lifetime sub.  TSW Grandmaster pack has been an incredible investment for anyone that got it and continued playing.

FYI - Funcom is actually turning a profit now.  
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    FYI - Funcom is actually turning a profit now.  
    Source?
    Harbinger of Fools