Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Culmination

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Culmination

EVE: Valkyrie has just entered alpha, before launching with the Oculus Rift later in March. Pulling on his own headset, columnist Gareth Harmer flies into New Eden to check it out.

Read the full story here



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


Comments

  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    But this is "just" a arena type space flight shooter like Star Conflict right?
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,251
    HOLY ****! As someone whose played Eve on and off since launch and just been too bored with it to return in the past couple of years, this looks amazing. I'd much rather play this in the world of Eve that I've enjoyed so much than Star Citizen. That Gallente v Amarr fleet battle was so cool to see in first person, only problem was the doomsday from the Avatar did aoe damage and titans haven't done that in many years.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,083
    The video looks pretty much like a standard shooter. Guess you have to wear the Oculus to actually enjoy the VR it gives. Also, using a XBOX controller? Shame om you! You should have gotten a set of Razer Hydra controllers when playing VR :D
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

    Lahuzer said:

    But this is "just" a arena type space flight shooter like Star Conflict right?



    It is a stand alone shooter.
    It looks very good, but plays like a alpha. Certainly NOT ready for release anytime soon.

    Hope CCP thinks the same way before they release another game that dies before being given a real chance. (DUST)

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Reizla said:
    The video looks pretty much like a standard shooter. Guess you have to wear the Oculus to actually enjoy the VR it gives. Also, using a XBOX controller? Shame om you! You should have gotten a set of Razer Hydra controllers when playing VR :D
    Yeah, I know. Interestingly, Valkyrie uses the Xbox controller's vibration pack, particularly when launching, and it might get more use in the future. I've got a Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS (one of the favoured types for Elite Dangerous), and I'm planning on trying that out as well. Hope to give you a comparison soon.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

    Muke said:

    Lahuzer said:

    But this is "just" a arena type space flight shooter like Star Conflict right?



    It is a stand alone shooter.
    It looks very good, but plays like a alpha. Certainly NOT ready for release anytime soon.

    Hope CCP thinks the same way before they release another game that dies before being given a real chance. (DUST)

    CCP have stated that they plan to launch into Early Access with the launch of the Rift, but to continue refining and adding features following that initial release.

    I think that, as a VR shooter, it's one of the best experiences you can get. I'd peg it better than Elite Dangerous for the brawler/dogfighter aspect, and I think that focusing on the meat of the action has served it well. It certainly doesn't have all the dressing and general exploration that Elite has, though. It depends what you want out of your VR experience, and I can see people playing both because of the different styles they offer.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Using an xbox controller with a VR game is like using a pong controller to play any of the current games.

    Since the expensive VR gear is necessary for this game, I don't see it being a big hit.
  • Fallen5Fallen5 Member UncommonPosts: 99

    Ozmodan said:

    Using an xbox controller with a VR game is like using a pong controller to play any of the current games.

    Since the expensive VR gear is necessary for this game, I don't see it being a big hit.



    You wouldnt fly a ship with joysticks in your hands? Makes sense to me..
Sign In or Register to comment.