Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscriptions at the Highest Level in Three Years

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSubscriptions at the Highest Level in Three Years

As part of the emerging financial picture given by EA during its latest investor report, it has been revealed that Star Wars: The Old Republic is at its highest subscription level in the past three years. It is likely that interest in SWTOR spike in the final quarter of 2015 due to the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    There's no doubt that the release of Force Awakens and their new expansion boosted subscription numbers. I still have to doubt this though. If their subscriptions numbers were really this high, their servers would all be full with queues. It's just not happening.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Force Awaken has awakened the desire to play as jedi or sith in many people, they are joining the game in numbers. But it is still in a stale situation in group content, long queue in Jedi covenant server during peak time as Tank just tells me the new players are here for a single player experience, not for mmo.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    yes, and that's bc of the "free whatnot" you got in the last months, IF you subscribe. if they can keep the content comming for the "abonents exclusive", the subs might stay on that lvl. 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Don't forget recently released movie :). It probably also boosted the sub amount by some numbers.
    yes, the disney princess as villain was a nice marketing stunt :pleased: 

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    can they keep those people?? that is big question, hype of new movie and new expansion got some people to subscribe to swtor,, the hype power just like when it was for AA and just like B&D now days...i want to see financial report of q2 2016..then we will see swtor was/is successful or not.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Well you don't say...

It probably because people are finally recognizing how in-depth and amazing this game really is...

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

Don't forget recently released movie :). It probably also boosted the sub amount by some numbers.

Someone didn't read the article :p
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    observer said:
    There's no doubt that the release of Force Awakens and their new expansion boosted subscription numbers. I still have to doubt this though. If their subscriptions numbers were really this high, their servers would all be full with queues. It's just not happening.
    Don't forget they switched to mega servers long ago, back when the server merges happened. Those things have quite a capacity now when it comes to player numbers.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

parpin said:
    can they keep those people?? that is big question, hype of new movie and new expansion got some people to subscribe to swtor,, the hype power just like when it was for AA and just like B&D now days...i want to see financial report of q2 2016..then we will see swtor was/is successful or not.
    They'll ebb and flow, just like WoW and every other MMO's numbers do.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Yeah not to surprising when you A: have a new SW movie out and B: you have to subscribe to get any of the new content. I wonder if we'll get an article on the upsurge of chimichanga sales once the new Deadpool movie comes out?
    Chimichanga Online? I'm so there!
    Well you don't say...

It probably because people are finally recognizing how in-depth and amazing this game really is...
    sarcasm sense is tingling :pleased: 

a jedi dying from a 3 meter fall? those guys should JUMP 10 meters and more, and not even get tired.
    the game is quite good, don't get me wrong, i played it long enough but.... this ain't no force users, bro :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRd9PGmAQUE

the TOR chars would have died 4 or 5 times during this fight, just by the drop height ^^

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    I resubed early October just to check the game out and got stuck, still playing and having a lot of fun.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

parpin said:
    They'll ebb and flow, just like WoW and every other MMO's numbers do.
    Yeah but WoW numbers flow in millions, when they release an expansion the number pouring in is counted in millions and when they leave it is in millions. And then when people enters in WoW you can feel it's effect like quicker queue time in gf and pvp, when they leave you can see the result same away. But for swtor i am not feeling the effect of newcomers apart from the increased number of people running around in fleet while i stand idle there waiting for queue to pop....

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Does not say new subscriptions.  Could be the same number of players just more are P2P and less of them F2P.
  • rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

JakeSim said:

Someone didn't read the article :p

Don't forget pre movie release hype that was goin in the whole 2015 year.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    edited January 2016
    They gave some decent incentives to sub, and "must sub" for so long to receive all the incentives prior to the "expansion"
    I've stuck around SWTOR since beta, finally canceling my sub, for good with this "expansion". I played a couple hours and hated the direction it went.......
    and yes, the movie, was really good in my opinion.
    I'm sure the new battlefront probably received most of its sales because of the movie too, but it's laughable at best.
    Heh, I'm usually not so cynical....seriously, this is the best people have done with Star Wars?? They had a chance to really take a huge chunk of the industry and all they did was try to gain maximum profit with the least effort .....
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Thane said:
    http://
    Well you don't say...

sarcasm sense is tingling :pleased: 

a jedi dying from a 3 meter fall? those guys should JUMP 10 meters and more, and not even get tired.
    the game is quite good, don't get me wrong, i played it long enough but.... this ain't no force users, bro :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRd9PGmAQUE

the TOR chars would have died 4 or 5 times during this fight, just by the drop height ^^
    Bioware's idea of Sith vs. Smuggler

Lucas's idea of Sith vs. Smuggler

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Maurgrim said:
    I resubed early October just to check the game out and got stuck, still playing and having a lot of fun.
    I resubed back in July, for the story xp boost, and managed to get all 16 classes(already had 2 pub at 60 and 2 sith so 14 really) to 60 in less then a month and I to am still subed.

Having a blast with new content and love going back to do older planets with level syncing, usually to help others out .

• shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74

observer said:

they never said anything about wait times der
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    As Gorwe said. The exact wording goes.

• In Q3, STAR WARS™: The Old Republic grew to its highest subscriber level in nearly
    three years.

People subbed up to the launch of KotFE to get the 12*XP bonus that ended with KotFE

Most of thoose that didn't care about 12*XP still subbed at launch of KotFE to be able to reach the new max level.

Now 12xXP ended and even for nonsubs levelling is ridiculously fast...Ridiculously...No new groupcontent on the horizon, it's pretty far out anyways.(new pvp map announced to be comming "soon" so that's something i guess)

So to me it's no wonder subs were at the highest at the launch of KotFE. I didn't get it though. I'll wait untill the complete expansion is out. I predict a drop in the next couple of quarters and another spike when the last chapter of KotFE launch.

I could be wrong, but tbh player retension have never been the strong point of SWTOR. Unless you're a Star Wars fan i guess. Star Wars is a very strong name afterall.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    The KotFE expansion has great production value and I simply can't get enough of it. That's why I'm subscribed to SWTOR right now. It's amazing. If this is how SWTOR launched this game would've been N1 MMO atm.
    Leon1e said:
    The KotFE expansion has great production value and I simply can't get enough of it. That's why I'm subscribed to SWTOR right now. It's amazing. If this is how SWTOR launched this game would've been N1 MMO atm.
    Maybe... I think the amount of MMO players that can appreciate a good story may be too small for a game that focuses on that aspect to rise to number 1 though. It's large enough to run a successful game for, but not for the number one spot. The average MMO player's attention span is way too short for that to happen. :D

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Why do I play a single player game?
    I like the story, I like the game play. If I really like the game play I will replay the game a few times.

Why do I play a MMO (Specifically SWTOR)
    I like the Story (This is the strong point of SWTOR)
    I like the game play (This has more to do with setting though)
    I like being able to play with friends who have moved away and I've been able to re-connect with.

Why do I sub?
    Easy.
    I really do not like any other MMO out there. They are not my cup of tea.
    I sub to support what I like. That simple. There may come a time that I can not afford the sub and I'll be ok with Premium. Once I can afford the sub again I'll pick it up to show my support.

What I do not care about
    The Joneses can bite me.
    I do not NEED to be number 1.
    I don't need to play e-sports and crush my digital opponents before me hearing the lamentation of their digital women.
    I do not need a digital house the no one else cares about.
    I do not need to preen my digital peacock feathers in an effort to make people like me.

So, all in all, this game fills all that I like and need.
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I tried KOTFE during this period and I just can't believe this.  I played all the major expansions and KOTFE was the deadest I've ever seen SWTOR.  

I would see 50 people on the station usually.
    Single digits when in my ship.
    Single digits on the vast majority of planets.
    Single digits in the KOTFE story instances.
    I don't remember if you can see other player numbers in stronghold or not, but if so I wasn't impressed.

I just kept asking myself where the players were, I still have no idea.  I'm so confused by this because what I saw when I played during this period was a game that was dead.  Are all the subs just rolling alts and playing more stories?  Maybe a lot of people are running dungeons?  I already know how big the PvP crowd in that game is so I know that wasn't it.  Maybe there is a daily quest area at the end that I didn't get to?

I have no idea, I find this really hard to believe; somebody tell me where in the game all these players are and what they are doing because I saw a ghost town. . .