Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Marine news, and two devs leave.

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Distopia said:
    Talonsin said:
    How did this thread go from "Star Marine gets indefinitely postponed" to "They rented a building in the UK"?

Because they try and throw a red flag in every direction and hope it sticks?
    Because no part of this game is going to be anything like "call of duty", and while we're at it, let's look at where the crowdfunding money has gone since they're progressively, intentionally refusing to live up to their own hype?

OH, and the UK space is one of FOUR studios.
    Shit you would almost think they are making a game with all that investment in infrastructure rather then banking all the cash and ripping people off!!!

So which is it?

Are they investing in the games development or banking the money and running?
    They're investing, they're going to develop ... something ... nothing like they promised, and they're going to keep the investments to make more games wherein you "buy a part of a virtual world".
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Adjuvant1 said:
    They're investing, they're going to develop ... something ... nothing like they promised, and they're going to keep the investments to make more games wherein you "buy a part of a virtual world".
    Proof ?

Anything ?

Even a little bit ?

A ... tiny ... little ... verifiable ... fact ... ?

Have fun
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Talonsin said:
    Thourne said:
    Actually, I believe the only thing we officially have on that is that it wont be returned to until after the tuning of it's elements in the PU are finished.
    That would mean it is on the back burner to be addressed later and not cancelled.
    So "indefinitely postponed" would be accurate?
    I would agree with you, but you began your question with stating that was Brenics statement.
    He said it was cancelled. 
    Can we agree those are two different things?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Thourne said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Distopia said:
    Talonsin said:
    How did this thread go from "Star Marine gets indefinitely postponed" to "They rented a building in the UK"?

Because they try and throw a red flag in every direction and hope it sticks?
    Because no part of this game is going to be anything like "call of duty", and while we're at it, let's look at where the crowdfunding money has gone since they're progressively, intentionally refusing to live up to their own hype?

OH, and the UK space is one of FOUR studios.
    Yah, it's called taking advantage of governmental tax credits and such.
    Additionally it is called having an office where the talent pool is. You open an office to hire talent that is local to the location of said office.

Basic business.
    Not with 100 million crowdfunded dollars, it's not basic business, no. I will not accept that. Activision is a multi-billion dollar company, on their own merit, and they have "little more" than this. DBG is questionably worth upwards of 80m (if that) and they have 2 studios.
    Investment money is investment money, what difference does it make where it came from when it's being spent on building the company? Spent otherwise sure, red flags all over on that... Yet you're complaining about them expanding their business, which is quite normal in game development even for small studios, CCP had US offices for a time, as did Funcom, and many others...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Talonsin said:
    Personal opinion here but I think you just made that shit up...like everything else you come here with. But hey, who needs to prove anything, right?
    So you do not feel that the Star Marine module as promised has been indefinitely postponed as Brenics stated?  You feel he made that up?

Well, from what I have watched (nothing more than the official video's now and then) it is being integrated into the overall game because of technology restraints and overlapping dependencies. But to be honest I don't really know what Star Marine specifically is unless it is the FPS part of the game but I thought that was part of the SC game not a separate entity.

And yes, listening to both sides of the argument I do believe he is not presenting the information accurately and is twisting the available information to fit his own personal agenda. At best I believe he is  misrepresenting the information.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited January 2016
    Distopia said:
    CCP had US offices for a time,
    And remember CCP Shanghai

And that "Harden the fuck up" is something from the heart - also in this discussion.

Lyrics:  "If you are going to follow us to the top .. HARDEN THE FUCK UP!" ;-)

Have fun

PS:

Lyrics:
    Intro
    First off - let me make a short introduction
    I'm the Alpha 2.1, keeping SC from destruction
    Chris  is the name, Lead master of the game
    Top dog in the gamemaster hall of fame

Im chillin at my desk with two girls and one pimp cup
    Sippin champagne, reading mails checkin what's up
    UEC spamming scum bags disturbing the peace?
    WOOP WOOP its the sound of space police!

Every day is a fight, there's no room for bloopers
    Bugs coming at us like in Starship troopers
    We help when we can, every child, every man
    Treat the boogie man to a permanent ban!

CHORUS x2

They're CIG! They march on fearlessly!
    Excellent is what they strive to be!

If you're going to follow us to the top

HARDEN THE FUCK UP!

You best watch out bitch if you're an exploiting scammer
    Ben will gank you in the face with his big ban hammer
    Remove all your UEC , throw your ass in the slammer
    Make you share a cell with a manic UEC spammer

Like a never ending spam thread on racist biking
    This song has something for everyone's liking
    Holy shit I see local spiking

...ladies and gents, its Derek Viking!

Chorus x2

Ever flowing - never standing still
    We roll with the punches, move in for the kill
    The competition ends up six feet in the ground
    With fists full of awesome we go round after round

United we stand never ever growing weary
    We cannot fall cause gravity is just a theory
    We reach higher than the giants in operations
    Patience soon well be crip walking in stations ;-)

We're more agile than a president dodging a shoe
    We need two continents for our massive crew
    From LA to Austin to the Anglo-Germanic nation
    Throw your hands up for World Domination!

Chorus

Erillion said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Proof ?

Anything ?

Even a little bit ?

A ... tiny ... little ... verifiable ... fact ... ?

Have fun
    Proof of which part, Erillion?

Proof they're not going to deliver what they promised? Any fps aspect comparable to call of duty. Done.

A game where you "buy part of a virtual world"? I forget the name of it... you should know, you're the Cloud Imperium guy. Whatever. It's like some horror-motif game, looked interesting until you read the details of cyber real estate.
    Distopia said:
    Investment money is investment money, what difference does it make where it came from when it's being spent on building the company? Spent otherwise sure, red flags all over on that... Yet you're complaining about them expanding their business, which is quite normal in game development even for small studios, CCP had US offices for a time, as did Funcom, and many others...
    Expanding WHAT business? WHAT product. There is no product yet. Cart before the horse much? I have no idea how you think this is ok.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Distopia said:
    Expanding WHAT business? WHAT product. There is no product yet. Cart before the horse much? I have no idea how you think this is ok.
    Reading comprehension is not your friend today mate.
    He said company, you said product.
    You are attacking him for something he did not say.
    edited January 2016
    Would people prefer they went the mythic route and outsourced their services in the EU to third party companies offering terrible service? Do you see no benefit to a company operating their own service where it's provided? From a consumer standpoint?

edited January 2016
    Distopia said:
    Would people prefer they went the mythic route and outsourced their services in the EU to third party companies offering terrible service? do you see no benefit to a company operating their own service where it's provided?
    I vote no. (to outsourcing)
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Don't think the building thing is really an issue.  Would probably have been a smarter thing if they had bought or built their own edifice, as it would be a tangible asset for later on.  The 15mil investment info is interesting, but since it doesn't have specifics attached, it is only marginally useful. 

What I'd like to see are the costs associated with their 66 day mocap shoot.  At a premiere studio with big name actors, etc.  If that's contained within the 15 mil spent, it'd sound good to me.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Thourne said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Distopia said:
    Reading comprehension is not your friend today mate.
    He said company, you said product.
    You are attacking him for something he did not say.
    What's a company without a product or service? Why are you being such a smart ass today?

Don't think the building thing is really an issue.  Would probably have been a smarter thing if they had bought or built their own edifice, as it would be a tangible asset for later on.  The 15mil investment info is interesting, but since it doesn't have specifics attached, it is only marginally useful. 

What I'd like to see are the costs associated with their 66 day mocap shoot.  At a premiere studio with big name actors, etc.  If that's contained within the 15 mil spent, it'd sound good to me.

The costs of such things like mocap are also of interest to me, but merely as a curiosity.

I would wager they got some significant tax breaks for their lease and investment that would have made construction a poor choice for what is probably a temporary local. Conjecture of course but based on experience a high likelihood. 
    Talonsin said:
    Thourne said:
    Actually, I believe the only thing we officially have on that is that it wont be returned to until after the tuning of it's elements in the PU are finished.
    That would mean it is on the back burner to be addressed later and not cancelled.

Indefinitely postponed after 6 months of proclaiming that it would be released 'next month'.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Adjuvant1 said:
    Distopia said:
    Question A: do they plan to operate a service on the net?
    Question B: Are they building the infrastructure to operate such a business?
    Question C: IF the answers to both questions are yes... wouldn't it be better to have that in place before you have a product?

Thourne said:

The costs of such things like mocap are also of interest to me, but merely as a curiosity.

I would wager they got some significant tax breaks for their lease and investment that would have made construction a poor choice for what is probably a temporary local. Conjecture of course but based on experience a high likelihood. 

Talonsin said:
    Thourne said:

Indefinitely postponed after 6 months of proclaiming that it would be released 'next month'.
    Are we now to pretend that set backs and delays in programming of gaming software is new to us?

Should we turn our virgin ears away from the horrid sounds of the first grinding delay as it is pushed back?
    :)

Adjuvant1 said:
    Thourne said:

I have absolutely no clue how that pertains.
    Probably an offshoot of your previously mentioned comprehension issues.
    Thourne said:
    Talonsin said:
    Thourne said:

Are we now to pretend that set backs and delays in programming of gaming software is new to us?

Should we turn our virgin ears away from the horrid sounds of the first grinding delay as it is pushed back?

Nah, we're just to pretend that, when there's crowdfunding based on promises and hype, it's perfectly ok when people don't deliver.

4 lights, man. There are 4 lights.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Thourne said:
    Talonsin said:
    Thourne said:

Nah, we're just to pretend that, when there's crowdfunding based on promises and hype, it's perfectly ok when people don't deliver.

Lol leave Picard outta this :P
    Erillion said:
    Distopia said:
    CCP had US offices for a time,
    And remember CCP Shanghai

Hilarious!  Never caught this before.  Thanks!

Of course, Atlanta got closed down, and subscriptions have headed down too.    Guess they've got to harden up some.....

Thourne said:
    Your profile pic looks, to me, like a Seuss-esque chewbacca rendition.
    Adjuvant1 said:

This is part of commerce in general, it's actually far more common to not deliver the hype marketing generates than it is to deliver it.. it's also quite common for pitches to not be met... I get it ...you want things to work differently with Crowd funding, the problem with that is that money doesn't make games, it doesn't make success, and it doesn't solidify a release... The money is no different than money obtained privately, it's simply a tool to put to use... it guarantees nothing...

DO CIG have some explaining to do? in a perfect world yes... alas we know how that sentence ends...

edited January 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Thourne said:
    Your profile pic looks, to me, like a Seuss-esque chewbacca rendition.
    Oh it indeed is. 
    Well Spotted!
    A few years back, I came across a lovely set of tons of Suess-ed up Star Wars characters.
    The Yoda is particularly cute as well, but just settled on Han and Chewy.

(edit: Just tried to find the artists name to give credit where it is due but sadly can't)