Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Marine news, and two devs leave.

Comments

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Adjuvant1 said:
    I'll also add, tax issues on "donations" totaling 100m over 4 years, for a non-tax-exempt entity, federally, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25m. Anyone mad enough to call the IRS on them? We can get this whole thing settled very quickly with the fed involved.

Is this opinion or do you know for sure?

Do you know for certain: -
    1 - They owe taxes?
    2 - They have not paid what is due?

If so call the Feds and give them your real name to investigate the matter.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Adjuvant1 said:
    I'll also add, tax issues on "donations" totaling 100m over 4 years, for a non-tax-exempt entity, federally, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25m. Anyone mad enough to call the IRS on them? We can get this whole thing settled very quickly with the fed involved.
    Good luck with that...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Wasn't two weeks ago in the UK they asked for a delay on filing tax papers? Think we are still waiting on that and they are penalized everyday they haven't put them in. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Brenics said:
    Wasn't two weeks ago in the UK they asked for a delay on filing tax papers? Think we are still waiting on that and they are penalized everyday they haven't put them in. 
    LOL why would anyone here care about their tax status?

Is that the royal 'we'?

I have personally had the same problem with late filing in 2 of my companies. It happens.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Distopia said:
    Brenics said:
    LOL why would anyone here care about their tax status?

In UK? Cloud Imperium invested 15m euros in a UK studio. Cloud Imperium is a California company, or at least the most recent employee tax records were filed January 26 for an office in West Hollywood, yet "jurisdiction", for whatever reason, is in Delaware. Agent for service of process is Paracorp Incorporated in Sacramento.

Well, "they" are filing something. Who exactly "they" are, and why they file certain places, have jurisdiction others and delay in the UK, is up in the air. I'd tend to agree with you, Brenics. I see a scenario they took some of this donation money, threw it in moderate risk investments, and now may be in danger because of the state of the investments, hence the recent panic and flurry to subdue ill concept of the company and garner more income... on promises. It fits, I can't prove it, but it works.
    Is that the royal 'we'?

I have personally had the same problem with late filing in 2 of my companies. It happens.
    I agree it happens, but with this company a lot of us want to see those filings. :-D

Brenics said:
    Is that the royal 'we'?

I agree it happens, but with this company a lot of us want to see those filings. :-D

Their tax returns have nothing to do with you. What you want and what they legally have to do are not the same. Gripe all you want but constantly throwing your toys out the pram doesn't change reality.
    Brenics said:
    Is that the royal 'we'?

Their tax returns have nothing to do with you. What you want and what they legally have to do are not the same. Gripe all you want but constantly throwing your toys out the pram doesn't change reality.
    Defensive?

Actually, people do deserve to know if the company is on the up-and-up, particularly, if not specifically, because they are still garnering income from the public. You can argue all you like that the money they received so far, "donations", are theirs and no one's business. IF they're going to continue to receive money, people deserve a little more transparency, certainly. Saying otherwise is wicked.

Did you know a measurable portion of this "crowdfunding", has paid to build a 2 story, "soon to be 3-story" development studio?

https://www.gov.uk/government/case-studies/cloud-imperium-games-invests-15-million-in-its-uk-studio

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Brenics said:
    Is that the royal 'we'?

Defensive?

Actually, people do deserve to know if the company is on the up-and-up, particularly, if not specifically, because they are still garnering income from the public. You can argue all you like that the money they received so far, "donations", are theirs and no one's business. IF they're going to continue to receive money, people deserve a little more transparency, certainly. Saying otherwise is wicked.

Did you know a measurable portion of this "crowdfunding", has paid to build a 2 story, "soon to be 3-story" development studio?

https://www.gov.uk/government/case-studies/cloud-imperium-games-invests-15-million-in-its-uk-studio

The way it reads to me is they started on one floor and then added a second and are about to add a third floor of offices. Sounds like extending the amount of space they are renting to me.
    Not construction. Please point out where anything says they are or have constructed a building if I am mistaken ?
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Brenics said:
    Is that the royal 'we'?

Defensive?

Wicked? really?

What else is start up crowdfunding funds for, if it's not to build the development company as well as house it?

Quoted relevant portion of article I believe bellow:

"Cloud Imperium has invested around £15 million in its UK business so far. Having started out with one floor of an office building, in 2015 the company took on a second floor and is already planning to expand to a third."

It sounds like rental expansion to me. 
    Thourne said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    The way it reads to me is they started on one floor and then added a second and are about to add a third floor of offices. Sounds like extending the amount of space they are renting to me.
    Not construction. Please point out where anything says they are or have constructed a building if I am mistaken ?
    I.. see your argument, I guess. "Build a studio" can imply actually physically adding stacks to an existing building, which never happens anywhere I've seen, since wall structural integrity is generally suited to the purpose of the structure itself... You see alot of places with this happening, one story structures just adding two more levels of structure, or do you suppose common sense is in order here?

Also, if it's just a matter of "rented space", and that's all it needs to be in a nutshell, why do you suppose it costs FIFTEEN MILLION EUROS for the first two floors. Hell, man, I'll build them a morton building for 100k. Because building a multi-level studio means just that, "building" a studio, all the infrastructure, IT work, data center, employees etc.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Thourne said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    I.. see your argument, I guess. "Build a studio" can imply actually physically adding stacks to an existing building, which never happens anywhere I've seen, since wall structural integrity is generally suited to the purpose of the structure itself... You see alot of places with this happening, one story structures just adding two more levels of structure, or do you suppose common sense is in order here?

Also, if it's just a matter of "rented space", and that's all it needs to be in a nutshell, why do you suppose it costs FIFTEEN MILLION EUROS for the first two floors. Hell, man, I'll build them a morton building for 100k. Because building a multi-level studio means just that, "building" a studio, all the infrastructure, IT work, data center, employees etc.
    It didn't.
    Please read it again. 
    The total investment began at 15 mil.
    No where does it state that was the budget for the building.

Adjuvant1 said:
    Thourne said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

You do realize it could mean moving to an already existing floor? IE they started renting one floor and moved on to two, now possibly 3?

Thourne said:

"Cloud Imperium has invested around £15 million in its UK business so far. Having started out with one floor of an office building, in 2015 the company took on a second floor and is already planning to expand to a third."

Yet you don't know because the company is not transparent at all. 

Brenics said:
    Thourne said:

And I guess you didn't read it.
    Check the source it wasn't them.

You heard it here first folks, according to Brenics the UK government is now covering for SC..../facepalm
    Brenics said:
    Thourne said:

Still trying to figure out how spending money on the company would be a bad thing, they put 15 mil into their infrastructure, that's a bad thing?

Thourne said:
    Brenics said:
    Thourne said:

You heard it here first folks, according to Brenics the UK government is now covering for SC..../facepalm
    Wow your attacks are getting why out there, I never said that. 

Let me ask you guys a serious question. Let's say they never release the game and they go belly up and all the money was wasted. Who will you blame and be mad at? 

Thourne said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Thourne said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

It didn't.
    Please read it again. 
    The total investment began at 15 mil.
    No where does it state that was the budget for the building.

I'm not reading it again. I'm saying you took it to left field on some crazy sim city thing, man. You used the term "construction". You used the term "rented". They didn't "rent" anything, I'm sure. That investment is to physically buy the space, as in, we own this as assets, in which they "built" a studio. It's like you're using wacky semantics to try to prove something wrong. Just stop.
    Brenics said:
    Thourne said:
    Brenics said:
    Thourne said:

Let me ask you guys a serious question. Let's say they never release the game and they go belly up and all the money was wasted. Who will you blame and be mad at? 
    No one.
    The risks were evident at start.
    Anyone who has an issue should have it with themselves.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Brenics said:
    Thourne said:
    Brenics said:
    Thourne said:

Easy answer. They will blame Derek Smart for the downfall of SC :pleased: 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Brenics said:
    Yet you don't know
    Or someone could use his/her brain and the internet:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-to-let/property-42006589.html

Three stories. Then click on the Google Map, switch to satellite, tilt, count stories from a recent picture (still three).

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/officers

(first 20 seconds):
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13484-Inside-CIG-Chris-Roberts-Visits-Foundry-42

Have fun

This comment alone by Erin shows they are building it.

"UKTI have helped us greatly. In particular, they have allowed us to maximise the benefit of tax credits, which has further brought down our costs and encouraged us to invest more in the UK than we had originally planned."

OK that is settled. 

Adjuvant1 said:

I'm not reading it again. I'm saying you took it to left field on some crazy sim city thing, man. You used the term "construction". You used the term "rented". They didn't "rent" anything, I'm sure. That investment is to physically buy the space, as in, we own this as assets, in which they "built" a studio. It's like you're using wacky semantics to try to prove something wrong. Just stop.
    Think you just changed my mind on this.

I think game developers should stick to writing games alone  in their basements where they belong and not invest in design studios with proper software, hardware and all that useless shit!