Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Marine news, and two devs leave.

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

"There are three truths.
    There's my truth,
    your truth and then
    THE truth."

- chinese proverb

Have fun
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Wizardry said:
    Sorry but once again i have to chime in,poster is talking about ASSETS,those are NOT content.
    At this point,i don't understand how even a staunch fanbois can defend this guy,he promised a solid game on 6 million and that part of the game NOT including anything after has not even yet been completed.

So he has been severely incompetent,something i never would have guessed to be this bad but when someone raised the question about his competence several months ago i began to take notice.

Helps if you educate yourself on the subject before flaming. He never promised this game for 6m, as he got more money he expanded the scope of the game via funding goals and new mechanics.

I dont see how the flamers and trolls can hate ona game so much that isnt even launched yet. Seriously kids, control yourselves..
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Xeno.phon said:
    Wizardry said:
    Sorry but once again i have to chime in,poster is talking about ASSETS,those are NOT content.
    At this point,i don't understand how even a staunch fanbois can defend this guy,he promised a solid game on 6 million and that part of the game NOT including anything after has not even yet been completed.

So he has been severely incompetent,something i never would have guessed to be this bad but when someone raised the question about his competence several months ago i began to take notice.

Helps if you educate yourself on the subject before flaming. He never promised this game for 6m, as he got more money he expanded the scope of the game via funding goals and new mechanics.

I dont see how the flamers and trolls can hate ona game so much that isnt even launched yet. Seriously kids, control yourselves..

I'll second this considering the poster essentially labelled himself as a "realist" in his previous post, then I responded to that explaining why he is anything but a realist, and he ignored that entirely. Anyway, yes, claiming that there is no difference in scope between a proposed $6 million game and the scope of the game as it stands today (a $100 million game) is HIGH-larious. Like you'd have to be high to actually make that statement. 

The saddest part of it is that I believe he claims to be a software developer. So, as a realist, and working in the software industry myself, I can make a couple plausible conclusions. First, he's not in the industry at all and is completely ignorant to what happens in a software project. Secondly, he's possibly the most effective software developer in the history of mankind, has never missed a target date, never blown up a projects scope, and always delivered exactly what is promised (if this is the case, please send me your resume). Third, it's just willful ignorance. Four, he's never actually run a project and literally has no idea what's going on outside his cubicle, so scopes are changing around him and budgets are being blown away and he's just oblivious to it all. Anyway, it's got to be one of the above. My guess is it's definitely not #2, so it's one of the others for sure. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Yep the game wasn't said to be made for 6m it was 20m then he keep changing things when the money keep coming in. Now we come to no SM and all the backers can't get a refund for what they originally paid in for because he changed the TOS. Then we come to this point where all he really has is video's and star maps on web site but nothing where the real game he promised is. Oh and a real bad alpha of SC that has nothing that works he promised in SM. 

I would love to know how much of the 100m he has left and if they are surviving month to month with 3m to keep everyone working. 

Also would love to know why SR Developers are quitting. 

Alas that may never be known. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

edited January 2016
    Brenics said:
    Ask them. They are on LinkedIn.

Or read this:
    http://www.dorkly.com/post/27379/the-dorklyst-7-reasons-you-dont-want-to-work-in-the-video-game-industry

Have fun

Erillion said:
    Brenics said:
    Ask them. They are on LinkedIn.

Or read this:
    http://www.dorkly.com/post/27379/the-dorklyst-7-reasons-you-dont-want-to-work-in-the-video-game-industry

Have fun

LOL funny man. One day if CIG and CR is sued we may finally find out what it was really like to work for them. 

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited January 2016
    What I find really really hilarious is people that claim they backed the game on some fantasy about there being a stand alone game called Star Marine when it was always made clear it was going to be a module only just like Arena Commander.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited January 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    What I find really really hilarious is people that claim they backed the game on some fantasy about there being a stand alone game called Star Marine when it was always made clear it was going to be a module only just like Arena Commander.

How odd, considering no one thought it was going to be a stand alone game.  The fun things you make up in your head.  

Now for why people are mad about this is because Star Marine was a selling point, and hyped by CIG to be better then COD, and has now been dropped.  If you would like to see all the hype that CIG gave SM read the following link.  

http://www.justagamemode.com/

That is what they said we would have, this is what we got. 

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/1wGVz0.gif
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Asm0deus said:

How odd, considering no one thought it was going to be a stand alone game.  The fun things you make up in your head.  

Now for why people are mad about this is because Star Marine was a selling point, and hyped by CIG to be better then COD, and has now been dropped.  If you would like to see all the hype that CIG gave SM read the following link.  

Even if it wasn't for all the other 'smoking guns', the graphic logo alone says it all. The white knights can repeat the only a game mode and just a test bed (make up your minds guys) narrative all they like, but a company does nothing create professional looking graphic logos for test beds or simple game modes.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Why are these "good reads" exactly?
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    goboygo said:
    Why are these "good reads" exactly?
    Well mine has links to the video's and news detailing the history of Star Marine.  
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    These threads are getting old.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

To me, the important part appears to be that Star Marine is not going to be released in Arena Commander form.  This after over six months of 'It'll be done in a month' pronouncements.   Guess they couldn't get it to work right, despite the module being based on a major shooter engine. 

And again, when noted industry vets joined the SC team, there was much ballyhooing from the usual suspects.  When those folks (and others)  leave, it's much more hushed.  Dismissed as industry standard.  Me, I suspect the guy at the top.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    I wonder what CIG are going to be hyping at trade shows now if SM is dead..? What else is actually in the pipeline?

i guess it must be SQ42... Seems to be the only game in town right now? PU is in maintenance mode, AC isn't being updated, SM is canned...?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Indeed, the articles they draw from are starting to look like a kid in the backseat asking "are we there yet" over and over again.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Another one bites the dust!

Ken Fairclough, Concept Artist, Star Citizen.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited January 2016
    Ikonis said:
    Asm0deus said:

Even if it wasn't for all the other 'smoking guns', the graphic logo alone says it all. The white knights can repeat the only a game mode and just a test bed (make up your minds guys) narrative all they like, but a company does nothing create professional looking graphic logos for test beds or simple game modes.

Actually you are wrong. I posted this because there's one person here that claims he backed because Star Marine was suppose to be a stand alone game, thus my post.

Also Star Marine, the module, will see the light of day...just not right now but when the game is complete since they've decided to incorporate fps into the game right away and can test from the baby PU.

From what I have seen some of the bells and whistles will be added as more progress on the game is made.

I have to repeat it as some people seem confused, SM isn't "canned", they have decided to delay the full feature SM till the game is complete rather than waste time on a separate module and test right from the baby PU.

Again the AC like module for SM will be added when the game is complete.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• BrorimBrorim Member UncommonPosts: 91

So are the promises of SC ..
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Brorim said:

So are the promises of SC ..

So are people who don't seem to know what a promise is....

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    The OP makes troll post after troll post and I get put in bars for asking another poster to start acting like an adult!!!!

Please stop the madness!
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Brenics said:

Nooooooooooo, not Ken! How will they sell ships without a concept artist?!?

I'm sure they have more artists on board, I'm being facetious about their inability to continue selling people virtual goods that have yet to be created - they will totally sell you more ships.
    Brenics said:

Nope ... just poached away by Bioware Austin (they pay more and have a greater benefit package, including an in house fitness studio ;-).

http://www.bioware.com/en/studios/bioware-austin/

With SW:TOR being in overdrive again, they are hiring left, right and center.

Ken had three Freelance contract jobs beside his work at CIG since August 2015 ... so he clearly had time to spare.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ken-fairclough-55108372

Have fun

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    This really does look like another: oh woe SC now has an alpha lets find an old article to attack it. And I do agree that an alpha does not a finished game make it is the place to look.

As far as staff leaving though so what? If game X had finished and staff were laid off people would be saying that that is typical. And actually that is not the case for big companies who would much rather move staff to different projects because it costs money to recruit and new staff never hit the ground at 100%.

For small, one product companies, with no revenue stream however the norm should be to let staff go as and when they are no longer needed. If staff reviews did not take place one could actually get concerned.

Now staff leaving for better pay / better weather / better prospects ....... the staff working on SC will know that once its done its done so they will be looking (and whoever is running HR will be hoping to lock them in with completion bonuses etc.). Hence so what!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2016
    Threads like these make it almost impossible to use a voice of reason. There are issues on both sides of the fence. But one cannot simply address legitimate concerns or voice news or real development progress on these boards. It's truly impossible to get accurate information here.
    Threads like these make it almost impossible to use a voice of reason. There are issues on both sides of the fence. But one cannot simply address legitimate concerns or voice news or real development progress on these boards. It's truly impossible to get accurate information here.
    If you think THIS is bad, you ain't seen nuthin yet .... ;-)

Have fun