Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss the old days....

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
Has there really been any MMORPGs recently, that had us all jumping up and down in excitement?
If there is or had been recently, please let me know and why.
I seriously need a good immersive MMORPG or something else epic.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Has there really been any MMORPGs recently, that had us all jumping up and down in excitement?
    If there is or had been recently, please let me know and why.
    I seriously need a good immersive MMORPG or something else epic.
    There have never been any games, whether MMORPG or otherwise, that had us all jumping up and down in excitement.  Even with early MMORPGs, where most MMORPG players liked one of a few games, most of us didn't play MMORPGs then because we didn't like any of the few that were out.
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I am talking about the days when SWOTOR and SWG, and WoW first came out.
    Those were big events never to be matched.
    SWTOR launch was a big event?  I greeted it with a yawn, and it sure looked like a commercial failure until it became more popular with the conversion to free to play.

WoW was considerably less popular in the year or so after launch than it is today, let alone at its peak.

And SWG was never terribly popular.  That's why SOE felt the need to go all New Game Experience on it in hopes of making the game more popular.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am always excited about something new that is on the way - Pantheon, Everquest Next, City of Titans, Ninelives, etc. Hopefully I can remain excited when one or more of them gets released. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    All those games you listed still exist and are running, go play them.  Alternatively go try ESO, Tera, Ffxiv, Wildstar, black desert or blade and soul.

There are no new mmorpg games in development, that ship has sailed.  The mmo players and their fanboy ways killed the genre, along with it already being incredible over saturated of course.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You can thank free to play for the half assed games.
    As to excited,yeah people get excited for the initial sale then after a couple months realize BIG mistake.Why are so many for the past 10 years continuing to get suckered into hyping up bad games,i guess it is simply marketing, a billion dollar industry for a reason and i guess people can't think for themselves.

You can clearly see the aim of developers is low budget game designs,the shift to Browser gaming,FB gaming,moba's,mobile gaming it is all fast quick low risk cash grabs.The bigger budget games are simply creating a hype a few promises then the marketing and scripted video hype begins.

Not fair or too costly to put out  at least a  B effort into all systems,well if it is then you shouldn't be making games.However this is the field of work they have chosen,so they are going to continue to make bad games and a LOT of developers out there doing it because that is all they can afford to make is bad games.

The industry is like a bunch of used car salesmen that is their job to sell you those lemons.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    SWTOR got people exited,  and then let down most of them.  Wildstar got people exited,  and then let down most of them.  ESO got people exited,  and then let down most of them.   See the picture ?

Getting people exited is harder theese days,  and for good reason.  It's amazing when people are still exited about a new release.  To get me to try a new mmo,  i needs it to be good.  I need lots of positive reviews but if the reviews are 100% positive and cant find a single bad thing about the game i write it off as "hype" or "fanboy" and pay very little attention. To get me to pay to try out a new mmo is even harder.  It's damn near impossible.  Only reason i tried out ESO was that it went b2p,  and i had real life friends playing that game.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    scorpex-x said:
    All those games you listed still exist and are running, go play them.  Alternatively go try ESO, Tera, Ffxiv, Wildstar, black desert or blade and soul.

There are no new mmorpg games in development, that ship has sailed.  The mmo players and their fanboy ways killed the genre, along with it already being incredible over saturated of course.
    B&S? game sucks
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    For the big hype trains, you need either a very recognisable IP or a seriously good marketing budget. 

Generally though, the hype for MMOs only exists within the existing MMO playerbase, it doesn't tend to extend beyond. 

ESO had a pretty good hype train. It is the first MMO I've come across in the last 10 years where gamers outside of the MMO world were actually talking about it (positively) before it launched. Before that it was probably SWTOR, WAR and LOTRO, purely because they are all big-brand names with a fanbase outside of the mmo world. 
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I am talking about the days when SWOTOR and SWG, and WoW first came out.
    Those were big events never to be matched.
    Sorry, but I think you're overstating the case there.  They're just games, not world-shaking events.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    SWTOR got people exited,  and then let down most of them.  Wildstar got people exited,  and then let down most of them.  ESO got people exited,  and then let down most of them.   See the picture ?

Getting people exited is harder theese days,  and for good reason.  It's amazing when people are still exited about a new release.  To get me to try a new mmo,  i needs it to be good.  I need lots of positive reviews but if the reviews are 100% positive and cant find a single bad thing about the game i write it off as "hype" or "fanboy" and pay very little attention. To get me to pay to try out a new mmo is even harder.  It's damn near impossible.  Only reason i tried out ESO was that it went b2p,  and i had real life friends playing that game.
    "let people down" because their expectations are sky high, to the point they are impossible to reach anymore.  The more games give you, the more players expect and it's a never ending sliding scale that has reached a point nobody can reach anymore.  This is why companies just stopped trying, paying 40-50 million to make an mmo and it struggle is not a good business choice.  End result = almost no new mmorpg titles for at least another 5-10 years.

It's not all bad of course because as I said, almost no MMORPG titles shut down.  They are almost all still running and still have large player numbers (enough to sustain the costs and make a decent profit).  Wow is still king of the world of mmo titles with nothing even close to it, so after all these new games nothing really changed at all.

If you're a real MMORPG fan then now is a great time, the market is full of more titles than ever before.  If you're a bandwagon player who buys/downloads an mmo and burns it out in a month expecting another one and another one in an endless cycle, then go play an offline game.  Your time is over.

There are no major MMORPG titles in production and since they take 4-5 years to make these games that means you ain't seeing anything much on the horizon for a long time.  Keep playing current titles, show you're a good audience to support and maybe all the companies who made the current MMO titles will make new ones in 5+ years.    Right now, the MMORPG audience is too small and too demanding to support.

scorpex-x said:

B&S? game sucks

I don't like it, and obviously neither do you.  That's irrelevant though, it's all about tastes and the market is full of choices right now.  You not liking it doesn't mean it is bad, it just means you don't like it.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    In ten years, these will be the good old days.  
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Exactly, and most won't have any real recollections of the present state of things, only what they remember from their pov.

The 'Good old days' is a bad meme we conjure up to blanket ourselves in the warmth of justification for not liking something now. Whether from change or something new, some dislike change and will use that phrase to display their discontent.

"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative."
     :p 
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Exactly, and most won't have any real recollections of the present state of things, only what they remember from their pov.

The 'Good old days' is a bad meme we conjure up to blanket ourselves in the warmth of justification for not liking something now. Whether from change or something new, some dislike change and will use that phrase to display their discontent.

"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative."
     :p 
    Or you can change things to something you like more since change is going to happen anyway.  In fact change has many times brought back ways of past cultures for good or ill.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Flyte27 said:
    Or you can change things to something you like more since change is going to happen anyway.  In fact change has many times brought back ways of past cultures for good or ill.
    Doing something is infinitely better than doing nothing. At least there was an effort, quite different than the idle romanticizing of the past by those unwilling to incite any change.
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I miss the old day so yesterday I subscribed to FFXI again, problem solved.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    There are no AAA mmorpgs on the horizon. It looks like we are only getting indies again. Depending on who you ask that's either a good or a bad thing. I personally find it a bad thing. I prefer AAA games as their production qualities are of a much higher standard. Also not a fan of Asian games which seems to be what we are getting lately. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    edited January 2016
    scorpex-x said:

"let people down" because their expectations are sky high, to the point they are impossible to reach anymore.  The more games give you, the more players expect and it's a never ending sliding scale that has reached a point nobody can reach anymore.  This is why companies just stopped trying, paying 40-50 million to make an mmo and it struggle is not a good business choice.  End result = almost no new mmorpg titles for at least another 5-10 years.

It's not all bad of course because as I said, almost no MMORPG titles shut down.  They are almost all still running and still have large player numbers (enough to sustain the costs and make a decent profit).  Wow is still king of the world of mmo titles with nothing even close to it, so after all these new games nothing really changed at all.

If you're a real MMORPG fan then now is a great time, the market is full of more titles than ever before.  If you're a bandwagon player who buys/downloads an mmo and burns it out in a month expecting another one and another one in an endless cycle, then go play an offline game.  Your time is over.

There are no major MMORPG titles in production and since they take 4-5 years to make these games that means you ain't seeing anything much on the horizon for a long time.  Keep playing current titles, show you're a good audience to support and maybe all the companies who made the current MMO titles will make new ones in 5+ years.    Right now, the MMORPG audience is too small and too demanding to support.

scorpex-x said:

B&S? game sucks

I don't like it, and obviously neither do you.  That's irrelevant though, it's all about tastes and the market is full of choices right now.  You not liking it doesn't mean it is bad, it just means you don't like it.
    Really? I found that there are 0 mmorpgs I want or have to play. I've played all the big mmorpgs, and I am certainly not playing some obscure mmorpgs. After I've played every single one, I don't feel like playing any of them again, I am not going to return for a few dlcs or expansions to be honest. So yes there are many games out there but only if you haven't played them when they came out. 

I have played pretty much every major mmorpg. I have looked this website and there are nothing I can play. Now that's because I played most of them when they came out over the last 6-7 years.

The mmorpg genre is in a shit place imo. And no I am not cynical. I have many games I love and many games I am excited about in 2016 and they would be day one purchase but none of them are mmorpgs.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Kinh021Kinh021 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Don't worry, Tree of Savior is coming. :pleased: 
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    That's somehow oddly depressing, lol.  :D
    scorpex-x said:

That largely depends on what you mean by "major", but even apart from that, how do you know that there aren't any unannounced games being created?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited January 2016
    Them days are gone....though there's been a bit of indie/crowd funding movement towards that direction.  How that pans out (Read: whether or not we see a resurgence) is yet to be seen.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Kinh021 said:
    That game didn't scratch my RO itch, oddly enough. I did love the art though.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    You can't step in the same river twice. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Kinh021 said:
    Not this one , please . They rushed a product that should be release in 2017 . Also the game have nothing like RO , they even throw in daily quests . Bot is one thing but game get hacked even in Korea , image when it come to west .