Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2016
    Whatever the market will bear.

Also, no way to pin it directly on Logitech - it could be Amazon, or VAT, or import tariff, or exchange rate, or competitive pricing, or any number of other things inflating the price besides just Logitech.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    Well, the most ridiculous thing is.

That Europeans should be buying these mice from the US, use priority fast shipping and you are still cheaper off than buying the mice in Europe.

Buying a Logitech mouse in the US, sending it half across the world on a plane with priority shipping, is cheaper than buying it in Europe.

That is insane and wrong.

I posted on the Logitech board to see if they'll respond.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Yeap, another post about how EU has it worse then US when it comes to gaming. Moving on. 
    Sector13 said:
    Yeap, another post about how EU has it worse then US when it comes to gaming. Moving on. 
    than*

then is an adjective indicating time
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I'm going to call Betteridge's Law of Headlines on this one:  any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered "no".

Congratulations.  You have discovered that some stores charge more than others for the same item.  Here's another place you could have discovered that, even comparing purely within the US:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104674
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/21609689
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-g600-mmo-gaming-mouse-black/5608091.p
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I don't know that I would call it wrong - it just sounds like your a smart consumer.

I can buy my gas down the street. It's nice because it's on the way to work and home, and it's right down the road, and there's almost never a line at the pump.

If I go to Costco, I can get gas almost $0.50 cheaper per gallon. That's about $10 a fill up.

I pay for the more expensive gas. Because it's down the road. I don't have to wait in line at a Costco. I don't have to make a special trip to Costco. I could be saving $hundreds per year... 

But it's the same gasoline. I don't think the gas station down the road is "ripping" me off. They are just charging what the local market will bear. And I'm happy to pay it in that case, because it saves me time and hassle.

Convenience and locality has a cost as well. And if the people in Spain, Germany, and France are willing to pay marked up prices, you better believe they will get charged marked up prices. The same thing would occur in the US, but I suspect Logitech faces stiffer competition here, and that's probably no small part in why it's less expensive here. It's not like the ~only~ mice available are Logitechs, and the ~only~ place to get them is via Amazon.
    edited January 2016
    Quizzical said:

Congratulations.  You have discovered that some stores charge more than others for the same item.  Here's another place you could have discovered that, even comparing purely within the US:
    ok, but that's not the point of my thread though

I'm comparing US to EU prices from the same store, not differences in prices within the US from different stores. It's a much more substantial difference, almost twice the price.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Kiyoris said:
    Quizzical said:

ok, but that's not the point of my thread though

I'm comparing US to EU prices, not differences in prices within the US. It's a much more substantial difference, almost twice the price.
    You found a place in the US that has the item on sale, and places in Europe that don't.  That's all you did.  There's really nothing more to this thread than that, unless you want to count various European countries having large VATs while the US doesn't.
    edited January 2016
    Quizzical said:
    You found a place in the US that has the item on sale, and places in Europe that don't.  That's all you did.
    What do you mean, Amazon  in Europe have it for sale. See my OP, I even wrote down the prices.

What do you mean "places in Europe that don't". It's for sale in Europe, it's in my OP.
    edited January 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    Quizzical said:
    You found a place in the US that has the item on sale, and places in Europe that don't.  That's all you did.
    What do you mean, Amazon  in Europe have it for sale. See my OP, I even wrote down the prices.

What do you mean "places in Europe that don't". It's for sale in Europe, it's in my OP.
    if you actually look at all the new condition listings, only amazon directly has it for the price you listed. it goes up more and more and averages around 60 bucks which is closer to the EU price. Finding a  good deal isnt a meaning of EU being ripped off. 

Didn't you find it weird that it was cheaper new then refurbished? 
    Sector13 said:
    if you actually look at all the new condition listings, only amazon directly has it for the price you listed. it goes up more and more and averages around 60 bucks which is closer to the EU price. Finding a  good deal isnt a meaning of EU being ripped off. 

Didn't you find it weird that it was cheaper new then refurbished? 
    You mean from third party vendors? Yes that's true, only Amazon is capable of selling it so cheap. (see picture)

But if Amazon is selling it, afaik, then it's directly coming from Logitech as a first party vendor through one of their US distributors.

The price difference just doesn't make a lot of sense.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Three of three sellers is Amazon.  Not Logitech. Not sure who the seller in Spain is. Google translate just said shipped by amazon for that one.   Why do objects of the exact same thing but different colors have vastly different prices in the same region? Sometimes twice the price or more. Probably because more in demand and people will pay more for a given color. Do what any smart shopper would do and find a cheaper option to buy one if that's what you want.  No conspiracy. It's what they think the item can sell for.  Why not ask Amazon why the price varies so much since it's their stock in three of those instances.

Hulluck said:
    Why not ask Amazon why the price varies so much since it's their stock in three of those instances.

I might, if I can actually find their contact info, I remember wasting a couple of hours on that last time so I'm not keen to do it again.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Kiyoris said:
    Hulluck said:
    Why not ask Amazon why the price varies so much since it's their stock in three of those instances.

I might, if I can actually find their contact info, I remember wasting a couple of hours on that last time so I'm not keen to do it again.
    Help.  Browse topics area.  /need more help.  Contact us. You have to log in.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Amazon in EU is not all that competitive unless black friday/christmas or some such sales.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Well damn I got screwed over too.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited January 2016
    Kiyoris said:

That Europeans should be buying these mice from the US, use priority fast shipping and you are still cheaper off than buying the mice in Europe.

Buying a Logitech mouse in the US, sending it half across the world on a plane with priority shipping, is cheaper than buying it in Europe.

There's nothing new about this, its been happening to people in Australia and even Canada to some extent though that has gone way down since some big car companies got in trouble for this very thing.  Not sure how it stands now but shady practices like this have been going on for a long long time. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-car-buyers-blocked-from-cheaper-u-s-prices-1.2435299

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• crashburn162crashburn162 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited January 2016
    Just have some buddy with VAT registered company buy you the periphials with the VAT number and depending on the country after max of 35 days the country will return the VAT to the company for Electronics, Building Materials, Tires, Auto Parts . And then it's somewhat ok. US doesn't have VAT or import duty tax from China and Japan which in Europe for electronics is 8% and it's not refundable as the VAT. Also the example you showed it's not good one because if the mouse was нот in a discount it would have cost the same as in Europe + handling and VAT. Vat is usually 20% but in some countries like Germany is 19% or like Romania up untill this year was 24% now it's back down to 20%.

Fuck With The Best, Die Like The Rest!!!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    We also have different proceedings when it comes to sales tax and price dumping. Keep in mind that the EU are 28 different countries... Not 28 states of the same country... 

As in 28 tiny USA trying to get along. With wildly different economical histories. 

For an example here in Sweden any consumer goods are taxed 25% before we even get a chance to look at it.Then we have the entire issue of conversion rates and relative value based on earnings. 

So it is not as cut n dry as to say... herp derp y u pay moar. 

This have been a good conversation

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Buy a white one its cheaper in europe lol :)
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    CavemanBE said:
    Buy a white one its cheaper in europe lol :)
    A conspiracy to damage European interior decorations with bad looking mice?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Kiyoris said:

Sadly but true... Most US products we pay too much for in the EU, partly because of tax. The cases you've shown have nothing to do with tax at all, other than the difference of a few € between the countries. The 60% increase in price must have some other reason...

Also, depending on the country you live in, you can import without the import fees/taxes. If you don't import a lot of stuff you might get lucky and slip through customs (even with the actual price tag on it). Also, some countries have free postal import up to €50 and depending on law that might even be excluding postage fees.

So yeah, it really pays off if you look around and ask info about importing from your local tax department. Also, when not in a rush to get something (like no immediate replacement of a broken device) it's always worth to import from the US/CA/HK...
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    edited January 2016
    the cheapest i could found it on my country is 54.95€ (45.41 + IVA ) and is sold out atm in that shop.

but yeah , we pay wayyy more , even on digital sales we have to pay tax now and it sucks.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDK how Amazon stock buying works.They might have one main purchasing order or each region might handle their own.
    If they handle individually then maybe the USA division bought a ton of stock so got a really good deal.

Being in Canada ,i am used to getting ripped off because our dollar is always low on the market ,we pay high tax and prices are high,those higher prices of course also drive the tax up higher.
    CDN prices
    BLK wired 79.99
    WHT wired 59.50
    BLK USB 134.09

IDK the actual conversion to lazy to look but i would guess the BLK wired price would be around  100 an d the USB around 160 or so.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.