Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Good? Or Bad? Blizzard says they now have 2.5 million subscribers Lets Hear It.

JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155
All i have been reading is how bad boring wow gets after 60 lets remember wow was king of rts games and 2.5 mill subscribers not to shabby for a 1st into the mmo market,they apparently did somthing good compared to other mmos which are said to be so good wonder why they have lower subscriptions. This topic was meant to get opinions wheather its a good game or bad.

Comments

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

I am guessing Blizzard might cap at 3-4 million subscribers if they keep opening up servers around the world.  Too bad they screwed up in Korea, they might have gotten 3 million already if they had WoW full strength in those Internet Cafe.

• TooL-D-TooL-D- Member CommonPosts: 126

After people get done with the grind to 60 and see how boring the real game is, it will decline. The developers may kill it off before then tho.. or the community

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by TooL-D-

After people get done with the grind to 60 and see how boring the real game is, it will decline. The developers may kill it off before then tho.. or the community

Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa, dont play if you dont like it. Youve allready posted the saem thing like 10 times in the past 2 days you.......tool.

• egamerxegamerx Member Posts: 24
    I wouldn't say it's a bad game. I had a pretty good time playing it till I got to level 60, which for me was pretty quick. One thing I found interesting is that they have an F rating with the BBB (better business bureau) :o. All in all, I'd say good game, terrible service.
  • BigxBigx Member Posts: 148
    Only reason why they have that many subsribers.  Is the name blizzard and warcraft and marketed casual gamer( i think its not now).  To me blizz needs to go back to non mmo games.  Game is awesome until there first mistake the Honor system.  Put in with no bg. On pvp servers xp sites became farming for pvp kills.  Then they release bg.  Another failure.  Alot of servers getting 2 to 4 hours waiting times for both sides.  Wich forces camping xp sites again.  Only thing that is casual about this game is the rested xp. I dont have time to run these instances for loot or even want to compete with the tournament rules.  I did have a blast until release of honor system.  Now it is one failure after another. I will be doing like alot of my friends are doing.  Going back to daoc and cant wait for there new servers with no buff bots or toa.  I left daoc cause of toa now I have a reason to go back.  I wouldnt be going back but wow helped me make that one.
  • LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Bama1267
    After people get done with the grind to 60 and see how boring the real game is, it will decline. The developers may kill it off before then tho.. or the communityWaaaa Waaaa Waaaa, dont play if you dont like it. Youve allready posted the saem thing like 10 times in the past 2 days you.......tool.

In case you didnt notice the topic of this thread was talking about good and bad....that kinda gives the ok to post whether you think it is GOOD, or BAD.

• BigxBigx Member Posts: 148
    I agree with you egamerx.   It is odd they have a rating of f with bbb.  Funny if you look at the stats.  They only responded to 1.  Ignored all the rest.  Seems like there pattern falls to there games to.  Like one gm said.  I will never forget.  "We are dealing with the issues. We know what the client wants.  Even more then the client".
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

Originally posted by Bama1267

Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa, dont play if you dont like it. Youve allready posted the saem thing like 10 times in the past 2 days you.......tool.

In case you didnt notice the topic of this thread was talking about good and bad....that kinda gives the ok to post whether you think it is GOOD, or BAD.

Aye I stand corrected there...its the other 9 i should have posted in image

• nephillimnephillim Member Posts: 291

It's a fun game. It lack any real depth, which is what I'm always after in an MMO, so I'm looking forward to Dark and Light. http://www.darkandlight.net 

But yeah, I find it fun. The quests are interesting, and the graphics are pretty enough to keep me playing for now.

A big gripe with the game though, it's not with the game itself, but I think there are TOO many servers. Fair enough I have only been playing for 10 days now, and am lvl 13, but the servers seem empty. I tried a few different ones to see if any were better, but they weren't.

Stop opening new servers. Let the ones you have actually get populated, please.

[we need a worldwide genocide/ a planetary suicide/ and when the whole damned world is dead/ there''s your f***ing peace]

• ssvegita0ssvegita0 Member Posts: 13

I started WoW 2 days after release and played for about a month before I started to lose interest (about the time I was hitting 40, since I was more into community and exploration than hardcore leveling).  Overall, it's a pretty good game once you get past the performance and lag issues.  Oh yes, and the lack of updates from Blizzard (aka the Battlegrounds, release months after it was first put up as "ready to be integrated").  Oh, and lets not forget the PvP Honor system, and how great of a patch that was (refers to the lag from hell with the constant town raiding).  I enjoyed my first month, but the other 5 were just mind numbing hours spent trying to salvage what I had already created from the imminent destruction of cancelation.  Good game overall, but the Dev. team is definately lacking.

• kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624

Originally posted by egamerx
    I wouldn't say it's a bad game. I had a pretty good time playing it till I got to level 60, which for me was pretty quick. One thing I found interesting is that they have an F rating with the BBB (better business bureau) :o. All in all, I'd say good game, terrible service.

When I took a quick look at that I think 200 people had complained. That's 200 out of 2.5 million subscribers. Just doesn't mean a lot to me. And I'm not saying that their customer service really is good or bad - I'm just saying a rating from the BBB only means a lot to me if I'm looking for a plumber to fix my sink.
  • ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

Originally posted by egamerx

They've had an F rating since they perma-banned thousands of players from Diablo many years ago. No one takes the BBB seriously for games anyways.

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Its a great intro to the mmo genre but thats about it.I can put this on the same shelf with CoH.I think if they would put in land control instead of a traveling faire it would be even more fun.A veteran mmo player either loves it or hates it based upon past experience.The game didnt do a whole lot for me.

Things that need to be done?:

1.PvP with reason beyond the honor system.Lineage2 flags a PK'r and upon his/her death they drop the highest level armor.The game needs PvP with consequence in a bad way.

2.There's a war going on right?With no land control benefits?A simple idea would be to have the guards change from alliance to horde.After 24 hours the town starts to change as well.Even Anarchyonline has landcontrol and its at least 4 years old.

3.More diverse crafting system.Everyone making the same things with the same stats is like a going to the store and seeing 2 cans of peas with the same stats and the same price.No real difference.

The devs are too focused on putting in quests.This is a very competitive market and they will learn the same lessons that EQ learned.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• r0hnr0hn Member Posts: 185

I'm curious to understand what the poll is really asking?

WoW is a good 6 month MMO

vs

Wow is bad after 6 month MMO

Is that the really the same answer 2 different ways?

Anyway, I like how some people say not enough content, and others say the content is good.  It seems to me it's just right then. Blizzard has tons of options with what they do with the game going forward.  Content will probably be added at some point just like any MMO out there adds content over time. 

Personally, I like the game.  I'm in no hurry to get to lvl 60.  I'm actually taking turns on 3 different characters enjoying the game.  It took me a week or 2 to get past the cartoonish graphics.  The graphics were much different then my previous MMO and that took some adjusting. 

There are some quirky thigns about the game I don't like but they are small.  Like how do I break up stacked items?  I can't throw items on the ground, try that the game wants to destroy the item. 

Anyway that's all I can think of now.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

IMHO it's just the same old same old. I played it for a few months and in that time there wasn't a single point where I didn't feel like 'been here, done this' lol. I did enjoy some of the quests but beyond that it just didn't hold me :/

However, I wish NO MMORPG to fail and when I hear about one closing it's doors, especially quickly, I feel bad for the developers who have put their heart and soul into the game (usually *cough*horizons*cough* hehe). But hey, I'm glad for it's success. It brings more people into the genre, and when they get tired of WoW maybe they'll pick another MMOG and find out just how deep and compelling some can be. Or maybe they'll stay there for years.

All I know is that usually when you find yourself in the MMOG universe, it's rather hard to get out ;) You just realize quite soon that no normal game can ever quite reach that plateu that MMOG's are on.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

First off, the number of subscribers does not determine quality, look at how many people eat at McDonalds and how many people like Rap music. The masses are not known to possess good taste.

WoW is a good 6 month PvE game but lacks challenge and is too easy overall, which makes it perfect for the masses.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• sacdeepsacdeep Member Posts: 66

I'll first assume that the average person reading this isn't a power gaming, 20-30 hour a week type of player. If that's the case, WoW is definitely a six-month ride. It's fun as hell for those first six months, as you can casually game and level, advance your trade skills, and engage in entertaining PvP. After about five months you'll cap your character's level (60), and will probably have capped your trade skills (or come very close). You'll then start what is known as "raiding": joining parties to run instances (private dungeons) over and over. You do this to earn better items, like weapons and armor. You will also likely be doing a lot of PvP.

The problem is, most PvP content is found in something called "Battlegrounds". To make a Battleground, there must be a certain amount of each faction trying to join. Since the factions are largely unbalanced, it takes hours to join a Battleground for the majority of players. And running instances gets old pretty quick, and is a major change from the earlier content.

There's also a few glaring class balance issues that will likely effect your enjoyment. I don't feel like going into it, but you can reference the official forums for details.

Definitely a very fun, very enjoyable six months, but I can't fathom the average gamer enjoying the game for much longer.

• kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624

Originally posted by sacdeep

I'll first assume that the average person reading this isn't a power gaming, 20-30 hour a week type of player. If that's the case, WoW is definitely a six-month ride. It's fun as hell for those first six months, as you can casually game and level, advance your trade skills, and engage in entertaining PvP. After about five months you'll cap your character's level (60), and will probably have capped your trade skills (or come very close). You'll then start what is known as "raiding": joining parties to run instances (private dungeons) over and over. You do this to earn better items, like weapons and armor. You will also likely be doing a lot of PvP.
    The problem is, most PvP content is found in something called "Battlegrounds". To make a Battleground, there must be a certain amount of each faction trying to join. Since the factions are largely unbalanced, it takes hours to join a Battleground for the majority of players. And running instances gets old pretty quick, and is a major change from the earlier content.
    There's also a few glaring class balance issues that will likely effect your enjoyment. I don't feel like going into it, but you can reference the official forums for details.
    Definitely a very fun, very enjoyable six months, but I can't fathom the average gamer enjoying the game for much longer.

/agree
  • Chaos-BloodChaos-Blood Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by sacdeep

I agree with this most of all out of the post, you will tend to fin a lot of people seem o think other classes are imbalanced and those classes, The blizzard team are looking in to all classes and they do change almost each patch, so dont expect to start and end up with somthing you set your sites on as things could be added or removed.

Over all WoW is a fun game to play, but Ive found a lot of younger players (or more immature) do play this game.

Dark times are coming!

• BleehBleeh Member Posts: 116

I don't think WoW's a bad game, but it's not the best thing in the world either.  WoW got to where it was because of three things:

1) The Warcraft and Blizzard name and marketing machine.

2) Christmas of 2004 (It was released in November if I'm not mistaken)

3) Lack of any serious challenge to it's superiority in the American market.

Personally, I'd be playing WoW if they waited until getting Battlegrounds done first before releasing it.  At least I'd have played longer than 2 months.  The lack of this feature and the vocal immature just made me decide it wasn't worth the time anymore.

Guild Wars is still an MMO.

• ferthalaferthala Member Posts: 129

from my point of view it is a BAD game.

I bought it, and I had some fan during the first 2-3 months, but when I reached lvl 60 the game became extremely boring to me. so, I unsubscribed it.

I think in those 2.5 million they are counting also the unsubscribed people which are not playing any more (like me) you know, marketing is like that image

• krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139

WoW is the good game to try out. When I played it, I had fun. Before level 40, you have a goal like to get your mount, to upgrade your armor to the next level and etc. After that, it starts going downhill.

A lot of people point out the initial sales figure - look at that and stfu, your opinion about Blizzard and WoW doesn't matter, if it's negative, because there are so many more people who bought this game. I thought that mmorpgs make money by retaining players and not just from sales. Sales are supposte to cover the development costs and the initial server maintenance and etc, while revenues from subscriptions are supposte to help the game develop further via expansion packs, content patches and future server maintenance. Am I wrong?

Edit: Aren't the 2 options in your poll the same thing?

• Originally posted by ferthala

I bought it, and I had some fan during the first 2-3 months, but when I reached lvl 60 the game became extremely boring to me. so, I unsubscribed it.
    I think in those 2.5 million they are counting also the unsubscribed people which are not playing any more (like me) you know, marketing is like that image

Right :)  Because that makes perfect sense... to count people who AREN'T subscribers, as part of the 2.5 mil active subscribers image.
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by Aildrik

Originally posted by ferthala

Right :)  Because that makes perfect sense... to count people who AREN'T subscribers, as part of the 2.5 mil active subscribers image.

It is a marketing thing where you take month ones numbers then add the number of new subscribers to that but do not take into account the number of lost subscribers. It allows for better bragging rights and looks good. After all who wants to hear about a game that had a million subscribers, opened in euorpe gained 500,000 then lost 450,000. As a board member you want to hear that you have 1.5 mil not 1.05 mil? They may be taking the number of "created accounts".

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

i find www.mmogchart.com as a good source for seeing the ACTIVE subscribers in mmorpg's.....and wow ownes em all with its huge and yet immature comunity :)