Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future of MMORPGs

2»

Comments

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

hi all

out of 1 month playing EQ not once did i ever make a friend even though i did try to talk to people in the game. everyone ignored me even when i asked how to swim so i wouldnt die  i got tells from ppl saying noob and nothing else. yea i was a noob and when did being a noob ever become a bad thing or a insult sorry random iritation on my part. so i tried daoc made friends the first day groups and all i have made better friends in daoc than UO. but my experience on EQ for that one month was enough to sour it for me. to say that EQ brings ppl together and all makes me laugh. in daoc you need to group and make friends more that anyother game i can think of that i have played you need to group to take keeps, get DF, to get leet lute. there for i just derscribed EQ to a T all the same things without the looting of corpses and nicer ppl too boot. its great for us ppl who arent extreme players. imageimage

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

yea thats true...

but somehow daoc gets boring fast

even though they r so freidnly, and everyone in everquest is a jackass...lol

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242
    There are a lot of powergamers in EQ. In my experience a powergamer is the worst kind of jackass.

lol i know

they dont even give u a copper hehimage

their greedy asses...lol i gave newbies tons of plat...and they loved me for itimage

every now and then, i would give a free pwrlvl

did i ever get that except ffrom my guid?

u can bet your ass i didnt

I never tended to give out a lot of stuff, but if a newbie had a question I always tried to be patient and helpful. It was always appreciated, and one of the best ways to make new friends in the game.

yea....

but giving urber equipment is an easier wayimage

when i started a new char, iwent out and acted like i was totally new to the game, a few people hooked me up with some newb/ok equipment,,,

then i met this one guy who had like 3 lvl 65's and he was urber pwrlvled and urber 1337x9

lol it was great

BOY did he give me some URBER gear!!!

he gava me a like a crystalline short, and all this armour that level 40's wear

it was awesome

i went form level 1 to level 20 in no time!

i could kill those polar bear cubs (at level 1) in one hit!!

it was awesome

i pked a lot with that stuffimage

I was never into poweleveling. I liked playing the lower levels and working my own way up, so I tended to encourage that in others by not giving them a lot of free gear (plus, you could never tell who was faking it image). If I wanted to give them something decent, I'd make them go collect some simple spell components like a stack of bat wings or something...make them earn it.

I found that kindness and patience went a lot farther in the long run, and I like to think it encouraged those people to be the kind of players I wanted to share a server with.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Actually like uncontrolled pvp,none level loot is something game makers are avoiding.

In EQ even they have made weapons only usable by certain levels and many game companies are doing level based weapons.

This is a good move IMHO because it was really annoying to be struggling on one spot with a group at low levels  then you have this twink cone up in fungus tunic and wipe the whole cycle out.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

That's kind of like Dungeon Siege.  I've beat the game on the hardest setting,  and I started to play the on-line version.  I would get these level 1 people wanting 10,000 gold (That's okay, I had enough to spear) and a warp to a higher level... they would get the best armor money can buy at the last level and then play the game at the start...

I like how FFXI is doing that... only one toon per server... no twinks...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

I don't mind if other players want to twink until it affects me directly, like when I'm in a level-appropriate group and one of the other party members is UberTwinkie the Great. It minimizes the challenge and strips all the enjoyment out of the experience for me. I end up leaving the group, and toward the end of my EQ experience I found myself doing  a lot of soloing becuase there simply were no groups who WEREN'T filled out with twinks of every sort.

The friend I began playing with loves to twink, and every time I start a new character he wants to give me all sorts of money and gear, which I tell him I don't need. He doesn't seem to understand that being UberDude isn't what I'm after, can't figure why I'd refuse to be poweleveled or twinked out. 

When I was playing the AC2 demo,  I twinked like hell... but that's AC2. :)

I like earning my goods, gold and exp...  it makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

By not twinking I keep the game as challenging and enjoyable at level 6 as it is at level 60. I don't have any fun walking around at early levels with an uberweapon that turns all I see into paste. There's no danger, no risk. I'd have to spend a lot of time just going through the motions of killing every mob in sight for 20, 30 or 40 levels before the fun part of the game actually kicked in.

I hate hunting rats as much as the next guy, but the only difference between hunting a rat at level 1 and a giant at level 60 is the size of the model. It's the same challenge, and the same relative loot.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

It sucks that some people have had bad experiences meeting people in EQ but I would suggest you try a couple different servers or something.  I met so many nice people playing EQ and have made so many good friends I cant keep up with them all.

There are two guilds I used to be in that I visit their boards daily.  I have a whole section of my email account devoted to my EQ friends that still write me all the time even though I have quit playing for a few months now. 

There are many many nice people that play EQ.  Yes there are a lot of jerks too but I have seen that in every mmorpg I have tried including DAoC.

Also what you get out of EQ is mostly up to you.  You are by no means forced into leveling treadmills, raiding, or scrounging to get the best equipment.  In the 4 years I played I have done a little bit of all of those and plenty of other things. 

With some characters my friends and I would just explore or create our own quest and roleplay a bit.  With others characters we followed the storyline, doing major quests that had to do with the history of the world for fun rather then having an "uber" reward at the end.  With some we leveled up fast and raided many of the hardest encounters in the game and got the best equipment available.

There are so many ways to play EQ I am constantly amazed how so many people get sucked into trying to be the best that they get to the point they start blaming the game for their own ambition.  There are many elements of the game that allow for that kind of gameplay but you are by no means forced into it.  Many people felt you had to struggle through the leveling treadmill to get to the high levels so you could start having fun.  I personally enjoyed the leveling up and adventures along the way more then doing things like raiding Vex.

Maybe I have just been unusually fortunate in my time with EQ but I have almost never run into a time there werent plenty of people to play with at the low levels when I wanted to start a new character or play one of my alts that was lower level.  I think EQ is still very easy and fun to pick up and play to this day at any level.

They have provided an amazing world and yes it has some issues but mostly the game is what you make of it.

I think what ultimately killed my interest was an inability to find a group of like-minded players. I made a fair number of friends in EQ and found the server I played on to be pretty friendly overall, but nobody I met seemed interested in adventuring, only leveling.

I recently began playing EQ again just a little after a year and a half, and it still doesn't have a lot of appeal to me. The graphics and architecture are outdated. I'm really looking forward to Light and Dark though! One big world, no zoning, amazing graphics...I'm upgrading my rig this month!

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724
    Yeah, I like big zoneless worlds too and agree EQ's graphics are getting a bit dated.  I really like the look of Dark and Lights world graphics too.

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by MurtBijani
    yea....
    but giving urber equipment is an easier way

Beggars earn my contempt. I never, EVER gave a single copper to a beggar in EQ. In my experience, beggars are simply too damn lazy and ignorant to ever get up off their virtual (phat) ass and actually (gasp!) play the game. How dare they assume that their time sitting do sweet FA is much more valuable than mine?

I have NO problem helping people or even providing a guiding hand. One of my proudest EQ moments was converting a potential newbie beggar into the beginnings of a self-suffcient player. Said newbie was most apologetic about begging but I pointed out how self-defeating it was because you didn't learn anything. Using my rudimentary tailoring skills, I asked him to collect some basic animal pelts and I constructed a whole leather armour outfit. Not exactly uber I admit, but hey! You're a level 1! Whaddya want? My Fungi robe off my back and a reach-around behind the Wizard spires?

One really bad day in G. Faydark, I remember a horde of beggars asking for items, coin etc despite the fact that someone was willing to pay 20 plat for a stack of bones (used in quests to raise faction, and for a spell component - i.e. necro pets). I was the only one who gladly went around either killing skelletons and/or buying bones from vendors to resell for 10pp per stack.

The newbie players who I dearly love are those who ask questions. To me it isn't an annoyance provided they listen and absorb (:P) but the sign of an inquisitive and curious mind. Unfortunately, EQ being one of the biggest MMOG's and most capitalist (save TSO) i.e. acquisition of items = prestige and makes all those foxy Wood Elf chicks cyber you because like, you R0x0r dude! (always embarassing to find out that they're like 14 IRL), also had an asshole demographic - those who were born l33t with the best EQ and who KNEW EVERYTHING IN THE GAME but couldn't share a morsel of the knowledge with you.

Congratulations! You are now officially l33t in your own head.

Dragging this back on topic, Murt! I'm disappointed in you acting like a n00b encouraging people to beg.

If I ever had to beg in a MMOG I would be ever so embarassed as I like to think of myself as a competent player no matter what game I played. I don't need hand-outs or sympathy because I know I have all the qualities it takes to be able to make my mark in a MMOG (even if it's a big, squishy one after falling from Kelethin after downing one too many beers at a bar IRL).

That said, I've donated/given items to players because they've been friends/guildies or crafters who haven't asked and wouldn't ask, but would appreciate the gesture.

Being a MMOG beggar is so self-defeating because not only are you automatically despised as a lamer, but you could actually get the items/coinage for yourself in the time it took to sit on your phat ass begging!

Begging is one of those times when I wished I played on a PK server .. "I'll give you a 'little something' - your ass handed back to you, bitch".

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

There. That's it. I've finished now and wiped up the foam specks from my chin.

Beggars. Gah! We 'ates them! Don't we my preshus?

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Actually I myself have never in the history of my playing started a new game and began to beg.

Though it seems to be very common and honestly it just a demise for the person.

Take EQ i started took my rusty sword and yes started rat bashing then some skeleton killed me .I come back and go again.

However it  seems common for people to start the game and then start begging for items .

Then if they get nothing ,they go hit some red mob and die.

They respawn and start spamming how bad the community is because no one helped them and log off and spam message boards that the community in that game is terrible.

Now maybe I am missing the picture here but isn't part of the fun firguring out how the game is played and meeting up to the challenge.

After all when the game was new no one helped anyone because all had same rusty sword yet they progressed .

Might as well take 200 dollars(less for some games even) and buy a already developed character.

If you are lucky and given something then fine  but if not begging is really annoying.

In SWG I see people come into the game and first thing they do is start begging despite how easy it is to make the first few credits in the game.

The only game I know that's hard to start off is EVE.  You have to mine...  and mine and mine to get ore...  then it cost millions of Isk to get anything. :)

I had a pretty good time begging in UO... :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • DemonicasDemonicas Member Posts: 102

There trying to kick me out the computer lab so i'll be quick.

Personally i wouldn't mind an mmorpg thats like a single player rpg gone mmo, what i mean by this is have a long storyline, with quests, missions etc. Yes even have the dreaded level system, but have a goal for the game, somthing to look forward to.

Anotherwords, play with friends and strangers alike through the storyline and actually "beat" the game. Where once you have finished and gone through the storyline the game has an ending, or does it?

Have it so when you think you have beat the game and right when your about to get pissed for playing all that time and paying for it, the game doesnt end. You find out the storyline you thought you finished has only begun,and maybe have a never-ending storyline thats always evolving and "reacting" to what players actions are in the game.

Maybe thats just me, i have more, but im late for my last class, so i'll post more monday, see yazz mmorpg.

I saw an angel of death come from the clouds one day, it touched my heart and smiled, then flew away, i felt my heart turn black and cold, and embraced this new power that i now hold

I saw an angel of death come from the clouds one day, it touched my heart and smiled, then flew away, i felt my heart turn black and cold, and embraced this new power that i now hold

I've recently thought that MMORPG's could benefit from a little more "linear" approach here and there as well. There shouldn't be just one storyline going on, but several for each "class" (I hate classses in any game), or several in each city/area.

In coming back to EQ for one day after a year and a half, I created a human paladin and found a great quest right in my guild that kept me busy all day collecting components for a suit of armor. A good beginning quest that acclimates the player to the surrounding zones and their dangers, and with the process of tradeskills. The armor was pretty good too! But once I was done, I wondered "now what?" No other quests seemed to build off that one, and most of the others being offered were out of my league as a level 4 with a rusty blade.

There would be some writing involved, but it would be great to have several linked quests that create more advanced stories in the game. Something to give players a sense of purpose and direction other than just camping for loot. This could easily be done.