Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting article

Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
This article was published about a month ago, and gives some decent write up as to why eve has managed to stay alive (yes we know eve is dying) 
http://equityarcade.com/2015/12/11/why-is-eve-still-a-thing/

What this made me think about is that whilst its obvious about the loss of players, i would be interested if it was compared against the genre in total, i mean if you consider that the peak numbers are down about 20% how does this compare against others (wow has lost 30-50% of player base in similar time) but as almost EVERY post on this forum  has at least one post about how the genre is dying etc, just wonder how the numbers compare.

also love this youtube vid from about 18 months ago (forgot about it until read this article)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Comments

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Totally different game types. Wow type games and Eve...

Eve is about the only game of it's type out there. Talk about a niche game. It has pretty well cornered that market. Want to play a deep sci-fi space game? Eve is pretty much all there is unless you go into the pvp shooter lobby type games.

So looking at it from that scope...EVE does what it is made to do for it's niche. It keeps players not only from being a pretty good game,  but also from what the what the hell else are the people playing it going to go to?

The Dev's made this particular type game knowing it would never appeal to lot's of people, just the niche they were making the game for. Barring a few bad calls on the dev's part over the years, they have played to their strengths and so kept a pretty loyal following over the game's life. 

Would say that they probably have some of the most long lasting and loyal fans out there. What you get from making a game for a niche and keeping it for that niche over the years. Do not try to be everything for everybody. Play to your strengths.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I love Eve Online, it's a great example of how to do open world pve/pvp correctly and how to have a working economy, no doubt it's a shining example of how these types of games "work" and how these elements all need to be part of an MMO experience that can incorporate all types of players in a single environment separated by risk/reward gates.

These core systems keep you coming back as there is really no other MMO out there that does better at these core features, problem is you can only mine so many rocks, hit so many jumpgates or pop so many pods...ok maybe not, but having yours popped isn't so much fun.

It's one of the few remaining MMO's that has alot of old school rules "which is a shame", problem is being a ship isn't exactly exhilarating to keep "me" coming back. Put these type of rules in a current gen Ultima or WoW type experience and i'm sure many would go crazy over it, I know I would! Problem is not many can separate the elements quite as well as Eve Online to bring people together in a progressive way.
  • imscareyimscarey Member UncommonPosts: 9
    It will be interesting to see how Eve holds up with the new generation of games being more focused on players doing all the tasks. Eve for a long time was the default Scifi game now there others gunning for that title.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Quazal.A said:
    This article was published about a month ago, and gives some decent write up as to why eve has managed to stay alive (yes we know eve is dying) 
    http://equityarcade.com/2015/12/11/why-is-eve-still-a-thing/

What this made me think about is that whilst its obvious about the loss of players, i would be interested if it was compared against the genre in total, i mean if you consider that the peak numbers are down about 20% how does this compare against others (wow has lost 30-50% of player base in similar time) but as almost EVERY post on this forum  has at least one post about how the genre is dying etc, just wonder how the numbers compare.

also love this youtube vid from about 18 months ago (forgot about it until read this article)

Player retention.

A lot of players have been in the game for like 8-12y.
    And a lot of them -incl me- have a "been there, done that"  feeling.

Been in multiple elite alliances, taken all regions, visited every system, have a few titans, I built some, I used to be pos manager, I have been FC in BoB and PL.
    EVE gets stale, and then it is time to move on.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"