Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How fast & twitchy is the combat?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
How's the combat in Black Desert?  Do you have to constantly block and dodge attacks?  I'm a slow, old man, I can only do so much at one time!  ;)

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    edited January 2016
    best way to see if its for you is to watch a few english streamers on twitch like:

Herr Ronin or TalkingMustache, ChrisRobbins is also good.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• nonthalnonthal Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I have found my reflexes to be slowing as well as of late, but I was able to play Black Desert just find during the first Closed Beta. It definitely kept me on my toes a bit more than I am used to, but it was definitely doable. :)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Well to be honest on the pve side. It's not that twitchy. There are a lot of different key combination that can be used to activate skills on you action bar which is really nice and different. Unfortunately there is no block button. There are multiple dodges though, well different degrees of dodges. 

I haven't pvp'd yet but from what I can tell pvp may be quite a bit more twitchy in and around skill cap. The way combat flows I get the impression that each player will have their own style within each class organically. What I mean by that is my flow will be different from you and his will be different from ours. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks!  I think I'll give it a try.  I'm mostly a PvE player.  The character creation looks impressive!
    Is there a particular class that tends to be less twitchy and requires less dodging?
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Is there a particular class that tends to be less twitchy and requires less dodging?
    Wizard/Witch, Valkyrie, Beserker, and I guess Warrior (least experience) are probably the least "twitchy" but all classes require active play and moving around.

However, depending if you use the default combo system or macros (hotkeys), the "twitch" element comes from having to hit multiple keys at once to activate skills. Doesn't need to be extremely fast for some, but a lot different then just hitting 1 2 3 4 or clicking.

Ex: A + Shift, Left Click + Q, Space + Shift into W + Right Click into Left Click + Right Click.

My fingers are feeling their age, but it's still probably the most fun I've had with active/action type combat in a mmo.
    bcbully said:
    Unfortunately there is no block button. 
    Tell that to the Valkyrie. Q = Laugh at damage.

But ya, overall mitigation is handled differently for each class.
    So you can macro your way through to avoid having to hit combos manually?
    So you can macro your way through to avoid having to hit combos manually?
    If you have a mouse/keyboard to do so or use whatever in-game options, macros are possible to a point. Haven't played around with them myself as I want to learn it the old fashioned way first.

However, many skills benefit from canceling animations to maximize DPS and reaction time, so depending fully on Macros might cause issues, especially in PVP and more difficult groups of mobs. To me it sounds like less control to fully depend on them.

I'll likely end up binding some of my mice buttons to combos that make my hands uncomfortable or that I screw up on often and use them along with standard button pressing.