Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hero's Song - The Game John Smedley Has Always Wanted to Make a Interviews at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageHero's Song - The Game John Smedley Has Always Wanted to Make a Interviews at MMORPG.com

If you have not read the news today, then it’s time to catch up on Hero’s Song. The first game from John Smedley’s new team is launching on Kickstarter this morning. This new open world MMORPG can be played in multiple ways. You can actually go through the game single player, host your own server, and play with thousands of others in a sandbox game. John said he always wanted a game like this and now fans of old school RPGs and MMOs, with a wish for something new, are in for a treat.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Just wanted to pop in and say that this was originally for 11am EST, but since we saw John tweeting about it, we decided to run it a bit early. Cheers!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Mobile game?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    John Smedley needs a KickStarter? He can't find investors? What does that tell you?

Seriously, WTF......
    ciely
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Mobile game?
    Nope, it's PC. Just decided to go with a 2D 16-bit art style.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284
    After talking with John yesterday, I am really digging this game and how it is designed. As a huge fan of Ultima Online we talked a lot about that style of game. This combines a lot of Ultima, old EQ, with new stuff like Minecraft and Terraria. I'm in :) Just as long as there is an Orc style race....
     :p 
  • nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    lol smedly ... worst dude in the industry...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2016
    Usually early backers on Kickstarter get stuff cheaper because they take the risk that the game might not launch.

John Smedley is taking a different route and charging players 25% more if they buy their digital copy of the game through Kickstarter instead of buying it once it launches.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Stopped reading at permadeath. I get its permadeath with a twist but no thanks!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited January 2016
    BillMurphy said:

FlyByKnight said:
    Mobile game?

Yeah, that's just a shame.

I think it would have been more compelling if they at least went the way of Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's gate 2, etc. As far as art design.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I love modern retro games so I will keep an eye on this.  And when is that other retro mmo coming, I forgot what it was called. 
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Permadeath, Smedley, Kickstarter price 25% higher than release price.
    Yeah, I'll pass.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Sounds interesting. Was hoping for mobile & console release with cross platform servers but we'll see what the future brings.
    -Chuckles
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Seems like not making it multi-platform is a mistake. I would probably play this game on my tablet or phone quite often, doubtful I would play on my pc though.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Nanfoodle said:
    Stopped reading at permadeath. I get its permadeath with a twist but no thanks!
    Hah, as if the 1995 graphics weren't enough to make me lose interest completely, they had to add that on top of it. No worries, Smeds, I wasn't going to touch this with a ten foot pole even before learning of that lovely feature. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Was kind of sad when I read it would have classes, but i'll still give it a shot. Was hoping for a skill system.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Some of my all time favorite MMORPGs / ORPGs have been 2D Tile based games ( Kingdom of Drakkar , Legends of Kesmai ). If the world , ambiance , sound , systems etc are on point I am all over 2D games. Heck just throw some HD textures on Drakkar / Kesmai with some updated animations ( what little animation they have ) and I am in heaven.

However with this one it seems some systems arent what I am interested in.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Sry Smed and CohCarnage, i had enough Pixels already for YEARS on Sinclair ZX Spectrum & C64 (and more). I don't need more of them in the timeline of VR next to our Doorstep. And also on top, you must already have a big pocket, considering all the connections you have. And you ask for Kickstarter? Some ppl does not shame at all.

You won't see a single € from me.
    */spit*
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    John Smedley needs a KickStarter? He can't find investors? What does that tell you?

Seriously, WTF......

I would venture to say, no, he probably couldn't find investors for this. It'd be a difficult sell. Strictly from a game perspective it'd be difficult, nevermind that you're throwing in someone who is infamous for killing games, lol. 

That being said, for the GAME, I think that KS is the right platform. Whether or not it will get to the target remains to be seen. $800k for a 2D tile-based game catering to the "hardcore" might be a gap too large to bridge. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Gymrat313 said:
    Seems like not making it multi-platform is a mistake. I would probably play this game on my tablet or phone quite often, doubtful I would play on my pc though.
    Does this say you think "tablet, smartphone and pc are multi-platform"? Please tell me there's a non sequitur there.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Wait this is the game Smedly always wanted to make. Is it $60 buy the box with $20/month subscription and a pay to win cash shop?
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Cleffy said:
    Wait this is the game Smedly always wanted to make. Is it $60 buy the box with $20/month subscription and a pay to win cash shop?
    Will it have $15 griffin drops in alpha, for which you need to fight other players, containing lightning bolt wands, molo healer mercs and brownie parts?
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Game sounds awesome (its basically EQN offline/Roguelike) , and i really hope it gets backed.

However Smed carries a LOT of dirty laundry in game circles. And it will be an uphill battle to get anything backed with him behind.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    CrazKanuk said:

Seriously, WTF......

I would venture to say, no, he probably couldn't find investors for this. It'd be a difficult sell. Strictly from a game perspective it'd be difficult, nevermind that you're throwing in someone who is infamous for killing games, lol. 

That being said, for the GAME, I think that KS is the right platform. Whether or not it will get to the target remains to be seen. $800k for a 2D tile-based game catering to the "hardcore" might be a gap too large to bridge. 
    My understanding is he did find 1 million in backing from investors and wants 800k more from kickstarter
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Sovrath said:
    BillMurphy said:

FlyByKnight said:
    Mobile game?

Yeah, that's just a shame.

I think it would have been more compelling if they at least went the way of Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's gate 2, etc. As far as art design.

Very much agree , I'd toss him some money on kickstarter as it sounds very interesting overall with the options but the 16 bit graphics I can't handle. 

I'm not a graphics whore either , I love the Pillars of Eternity and even old Baldurs Gate style.

Even better I would take EQ pre luclin models type gladly with a big enough open world and options like he is talking about.

I just cant play nintendo style mmo's though.