Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saga of Lucimia is offering "pre-orders" (crowd-funding)

MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
edited January 2016 in Saga of Lucimia
Saga of Lucimia is an ambitious project that is trying to create an open world PvE sandbox MMORPG with the Unity Engine. It covers all the buzzwords and the pitch is as usual filled with so many things it makes every MMORPG player drool. You can find all the information on their homepage

They have since released a crowd-funding page that allows you to throw money at the project, starting with $40 for the basic game Volume I and going up to $10,000 to buy yourself a seat as Executive Producer.

Beware though, the game you get is only Volume I which means a full game.

This is all nothing special, we have seen this happen with pretty much every MMO project in the last couple of years both Indie and Professional. The developers throw together some basic game-play with basic assets and then start to pass around the hat to collect some cash.

Here is a multi-player video of people teleporting, running in the same spot, corpses sliding around the ground and other funny network problems. Is this game worth spending $40 or more? You decide for yourself:

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
- Michael Bitton
Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
- SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Post edited by MrSnuffles on

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Love the concept but think that a small team with no industry experience that has never designed a game nor released one, working on a volunteer basis, from remote locations has pretty close to a ZERO chance of success.  Even their Community Management philosophy is based on a whole "If you are a skeptic: F-U" concept.  Just read prior posting on this site...

Whatever.  If they deliver much of what they propose I'll happily buy the game but absolutely not one cent until that day.  I've seen this movie before... I'm pretty sure I know how it ends.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I don't have much faith in this either.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Wow seriously seen better games developed for high school homework projects.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    wait.... wait for iiiiit
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    edited January 2016
    It's a vid about "Open PVP", but didnt Tim "Renfail" Anderson say that the game wasnt going to have pvp? Or am I thinking of something else?

Edit: It's the one I was thinking of. From their FAQ:

WILL THERE BE PVP?

No. We are a purely PvE title.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    edited January 2016
    Forgrimm said:
    It's a vid about "Open PVP", but didnt Tim "Renfail" Anderson say that the game wasnt going to have pvp? Or am I thinking of something else?

WILL THERE BE PVP?

Yeah obviously people didn't watch the video where it says at the end it was a bug during the play test and was not intended.

The video was made as a joke by Renfail.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Sinsai said:

Yeah obviously people didn't watch the video where it says at the end it was a bug during the play test and was not intended.

The video was made as a joke by Renfail.
    Can you blame someone for not watching that through to the end to see the "joke"?

I think the joke was self-evident in the first 30 seconds.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Forgrimm said:

WILL THERE BE PVP?

They also repeatedly stated, and rather vehemently, that they do not need to answer to anyone because this is an easily self-funded project so that everyone who doesn't like it can basically take a hike.  Yet here we are with a crowd funding effort asking people to throw anywhere from $40 to $10,000 at them.  I mean, I can understand the philosophy of not needing the funds but "if any fool wants to be parted with their $10,000 we will gladly take it," but this is one of the tactics that can hamper future crowd funding efforts in the gaming industry.    
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    What bothers me most is that this will be VOLUME I. You essentially pay for maybe 10% or less of a full game. They already decided to go in episodes because they realized they can't make all the content for a full MMORPG in a reasonable time. It would take a small team like them 10 years to create as much content as BDO, SWOTOR or GW2 (when they released not now).

I would love to see a statement about how much will be in VOLUME I.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    For some reason I love reading horror stories. In particular mmorpg horror stories. After seeing this thread I took a look at the Lucimia forums.

There was a poster there who's English wasn't very good.  He payed $40 thinking head be able to play. He read further then got the impression if he paid $75 he could play. By the time someone informed him that he wont be able to log in until March, for a hour or two, he had already decided he wasn't giving anymore money. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for his money back. I hope he post about it. It will make for a good bedtime story  :)
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Wow i was really looking forward to this game and would happily pledge to get into open beta.  Dont know why i thought this was a pve only game.  Oh well great topic now this game is officially off my radar.
  • Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    doesn't the title sound a bit too much like Saga of Leukemia?
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    c0exist said:
    Wow i was really looking forward to this game and would happily pledge to get into open beta.  Dont know why i thought this was a pve only game.  Oh well great topic now this game is officially off my radar.

It is still only a PvE game.  
    edited January 2016
    c0exist said:
    It is PVE only. OP should edit the original post and remove "open world PvP sandbox MMORPG" since it is false.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    edited January 2016
    Forgrimm said:

WILL THERE BE PVP?

They also repeatedly stated, and rather vehemently, that they do not need to answer to anyone because this is an easily self-funded project so that everyone who doesn't like it can basically take a hike.  Yet here we are with a crowd funding effort asking people to throw anywhere from $40 to $10,000 at them.  I mean, I can understand the philosophy of not needing the funds but "if any fool wants to be parted with their $10,000 we will gladly take it," but this is one of the tactics that can hamper future crowd funding efforts in the gaming industry.    

Yep, there's a lot of hubris on display, and they do *not* take kindly to any kind of critical feedback or opinions. Even those presented respectfully.

I encountered that smug cock-suredness some months back when I asked questions and raised some possible concerns I saw in some of their design choices. Their response revealed, basically, that they fully expected people to play a very specific way, doing very specific things. There was no meaningful consideration for any who might want to play a bit differently.

The overall impression I got is that they are very keen on what *they* enjoy, and how *they* intend to play it. But they don't seem to understand very much, at all, that others outside their own group may not share their personal preferences or playstyle. The overall mindset they conveyed, to me, was "You'll play the game the way we want you to, or you won't have fun."

Seriously, listen to some of their podcasts, or read some of their forum posts and such. You'll notice them start to discuss exactly what players will do, how they'll do it, where they'll go, when they'll go there, what kind of things they'll have. It's like they're creating a movie script, and every player is going to be expected to follow it.

Maybe they've laid off their own Kool-Aid since then, and stepped back to take a more objective look at some of those choices, to pick them apart and consider where they might come up short, and ways they could better accomodate people who didn't take their assumed/ideal approach. But, if the hubris on display by Tim and co. just in these forums is any indication, I kinda doubt they've done anything like that. "Humility" doesn't seem to exist in their vocabulary at all.

For them to say "we can fund this entirely ourselves" (or however they phrased it) is just more of that ego being spewed everywhere. Unfortunately, it makes them look like hypocrites when they then turn around and invite people to help fund the project, accepting up to $10,000. "We don't need your money... We can totes fund this ourselves (beating their puffed out chests)... but you can give us $10k if you want". Yeah, that's convincing.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Heeey, who's that handsome scholar to the right of the YouTube still?

I'm a "proof is in the pudding" type of person but after seeing what is being offered in MMOs over the past 8 years you bet I'll put down for an idea that sounds great. Better that than putting it on something I know I won't like for more than a month (week?) because it's the same gameplay and stupid easy content seen over and over.

I'm a patient man.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    You guys forgot to mention that they are also selling p2w weapons.
    Additionally their glorious dungeons that take 3 months to be cleared... are just generic dungeons that take this long because you have to stay inside and grind for exp until you are able to move on.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited January 2016
    A: It's Saga of Lucimia. Your title spelled it wrong. 

B: It's not a PVP game. Your thread title...roger that, you edited it :) 

C: Our pre-order store is old news. It's been open since September of 2015. 

D : Volume I is the base game, launching with 30+ zones and dungeons, and around 18-24 months of content for the average player. Volumes 2, 3, and 4 are pre-planned expansions, releasing every couple of years after the first title launches in December of 2017. 

E: Yep, we're still firm to our guns. If you don't care for what we're doing, don't play our game. We find it incredibly amusing that people who are apparently so disinterested in what we're doing, or the fact that we're sharing our progress in all its glory (from the ugly, beginning stages with bugs all the way through to launch), continue to drive traffic to our site and help us build up our following. 

Thanks for the traffic! Can't wait to show you guys what we've been working on over the holidays. Stay tuned for the next build later this Spring!
    Kyleran
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well all i have to say is THANK YOU for at least telling us in the opening line it is a pvp game because that saved me a lot of time..../bows

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Pratt2112 said:
    ... Their response revealed, basically, that they fully expected people to play a very specific way, doing very specific things. There was no meaningful consideration for any who might want to play a bit differently.

That's fine, really, at least they're being very clear and upfront about it. They're not sweet-talking anyone into something that they don't really intend delivering.

WYSIWIG. You either like it or you don't. If you don't, move along.
    Wizardry said:
    Well all i have to say is THANK YOU for at least telling us in the opening line it is a pvp game because that saved me a lot of time..../bows
    Again, it isn't a pvp game, it's PVE only. The video was meant as a joke.
    edited January 2016
    Renfail said:
    A: It's Saga of Lucimia. Your title spelled it wrong. 

B: It's not a PVP game. Your thread title...roger that, you edited it :) 

C: Our pre-order store is old news. It's been open since September of 2015. 

D : Volume I is the base game, launching with 30+ zones and dungeons, and around 18-24 months of content for the average player. Volumes 2, 3, and 4 are pre-planned expansions, releasing every couple of years after the first title launches in December of 2017. 

Fixed your complaints.

18-24 months of content! That is a huge difference of 6 months or 25%. Your 24 Months is probably more than all MMORPGs on the market right now combined.

How do you calculate this content and how many hours does your average player play per week/month?
    What kind of content is this exactly?
    A group of hundreds of developers could not create 6 months of content in 5 years for SWTOR or ESO but for you it's possible to create 18-24 in 2 years. HOW?

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Bah i read some other posts claiming this is a PVE game ..roflmao ,,can someone get this right?
    I love PVE games ,i almost ran away from this because the OP says it is a PVP game ..../sigh.

And now you know why i have so little faith in forum users.I also see we are saying the cash shop is p2w?

That video is awful but i do understand the game is long off of an actual release.So watched a couple other videos from You Tube and it looks like they don't have a game yet,just a world.SO there is basically nothing to want to spend money on playing this non game just a world.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Forgrimm said:

WILL THERE BE PVP?

I think you understate their not having to answer to anyone. I think they, literally, told people they could eff off, if I remember correctly and I remember quite vividly having a conversation with the project lead and telling him that it probably wasn't the best way to conduct business. I guess we'll see who was right now that their hands are out looking for money. It's one thing to have an, apparently, rabid fan base, but it's another to get them to part with their money. 

Also, and this is more speculative, I thought I remember some conversation around crowdfunding and them saying how they would never resort to it and it was deplorable. I could be wrong on that, but I seem to remember something along those lines. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Forgrimm said:

WILL THERE BE PVP?

I think you understate their not having to answer to anyone. I think they, literally, told people they could eff off, if I remember correctly and I remember quite vividly having a conversation with the project lead and telling him that it probably wasn't the best way to conduct business. I guess we'll see who was right now that their hands are out looking for money. It's one thing to have an, apparently, rabid fan base, but it's another to get them to part with their money. 

Also, and this is more speculative, I thought I remember some conversation around crowdfunding and them saying how they would never resort to it and it was deplorable. I could be wrong on that, but I seem to remember something along those lines. 
    I do remember them saying they will make the game however they want and everyone not liking it can go take a hike. I don't remember them saying anything about crowd funding, however i remember something about a dedicated team that will do this for free because they love to make this game even without pay.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD