Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR Treadmill to match headsets

2»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Phry said:
    Kiyoris said:
    what could possibly go wrong wearing a helmet on a moving platform

it is kind of asking for trouble, if people want to run while using a headset, then maybe they need to consider the Wii option, people have been running/jogging using a Wii on the Wii fit for years now, no treadmill required.
    I would say something but I am going to wear my helmet for a motorcycle ride and then after that I am going to do 8 hours of  construction work with my hardhat on, then play some football with a football helmet on.

anyone want to join?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Pepeq said:
    Remember this... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z_Ei8rives

Racing Across Azeroth In Real Life.

IMHO, such things are distractions... you go to a gym and watch TV, you might as well be at home watching TV because you aren't focused on the activity, thus getting a lesser workout than you should.  Real workouts require focus.

And the best way to see the world is to actually go out and see it.  The real hike is outside... not in your head.

I'm looking at this from the point of an athlete.  One who plays team sports.  After High School the athletic career is over for 90% of the players.  You are reduced to playing volleyball, softball, table tennis, Basketball.  Football and Baseball are over.  A stadium full of cheering fans is over.  This VR system is allowing you to play any of those sports "in a sense" any time you want.  Not just the weekly Basketball game with your friends or the weekly Softball game.  You can do it right now a full 18 man baseball team and you can be the pitcher if you want or the quarterback. 

Problem is this might end up being too demanding on the body and people won't use it.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    filmoret said:
    Pepeq said:
    Remember this... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z_Ei8rives

Racing Across Azeroth In Real Life.

IMHO, such things are distractions... you go to a gym and watch TV, you might as well be at home watching TV because you aren't focused on the activity, thus getting a lesser workout than you should.  Real workouts require focus.

And the best way to see the world is to actually go out and see it.  The real hike is outside... not in your head.

I'm looking at this from the point of an athlete.  One who plays team sports.  After High School the athletic career is over for 90% of the players.  You are reduced to playing volleyball, softball, table tennis, Basketball.  Football and Baseball are over.  A stadium full of cheering fans is over.  This VR system is allowing you to play any of those sports "in a sense" any time you want.  Not just the weekly Basketball game with your friends or the weekly Softball game.  You can do it right now a full 18 man baseball team and you can be the pitcher if you want or the quarterback. 

Problem is this might end up being too demanding on the body and people won't use it.

The last line is pretty much what will make this product be less bought than the headset. When people play games they tend to do it when they want to relax, after work, weekends. 8 hours on your feet working, to come back and do more hours running non-stop.

I can see it being a cool thing to show friends when they come round or used for a very slow paced game, but can see a lot of  "urg, can't be bothered using this today" to the point people using once every week or two.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    simulation vs reality.

what some people do not seem to take into account is the cost, time, engery and commitment to do 90% of the things that simulators represent and that ONLY includes things you can do in real life.

want to know what farming is like,,,become a farmer....oh reallly? years later, thousands of dollars later and you are a farmer, and now you are older with less time on your hands to try other proffesions out.

seriously?   

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me