Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Odd question: Is this SWTOR screenshot covered in lines for you?

BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
edited January 2016 in Star Wars: The Old Republic
I have two asus monitors, different models, but both 6 bit TN panels, both calibrated (I thought) to be as similar as possible.  But just now I was playing SWTOR on Makeb, where the sky is covered in blue lines.  I was really confused, so I took a screenshot.  When I was looking at the screenshot, I found that on my second monitor the screenshot looks fine.

At this point I am curious... so please tell me, how does this look to you?  On one monitor I can clearly lines of blue behind the clouds, nearly making vertical stripes.  On the other they are so faint that I can barely see them.

Edit:  I was really hoping it was just contrast settings but that seems to have nothing to do with it, no matter how high/low I change my settings I still see the weird lines on my monitor.

Comments

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I don't see any lines. Looks good to me.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    With the image zoomed in I can barely see some lines in the top center.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Thanks guys, it sounds like what you see is what I see on my second monitor.  I am trying to figure out exactly what to change on my first monitor, but so far am not having any success.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    I actually see the lines; it looks almost like rain "streaks" behind the clouds.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Baitness said:
    I have two asus monitors, different models, but both 6 bit TN panels, both calibrated (I thought) to be as similar as possible.  But just now I was playing SWTOR on Makeb, where the sky is covered in blue lines.  I was really confused, so I took a screenshot.  When I was looking at the screenshot, I found that on my second monitor the screenshot looks fine.

At this point I am curious... so please tell me, how does this look to you?  On one monitor I can clearly lines of blue behind the clouds, nearly making vertical stripes.  On the other they are so faint that I can barely see them.

Edit:  I was really hoping it was just contrast settings but that seems to have nothing to do with it, no matter how high/low I change my settings I still see the weird lines on my monitor.

If I view image I can see vertical-ish lines.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Well I am glad I am not the only one having this issue.  I am going through all my monitors settings and I just can't shake them on the one.  They are using different connections - on my HDMI monitor it looks fine, and on my DVI monitor I see the lines.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited January 2016
    I see light blue lines in between the clouds and an upside down rainbow near the bottom, only where the sky is.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    edited January 2016
    I see the lines very clearly at the top centre. I'm using a Samsung 4K TV at 3840 x 2160 resolution as my monitor.

edit: Connected via HDMI 2 cable to a GTX 970 graphics card.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Baitness said:
    Well I am glad I am not the only one having this issue.  I am going through all my monitors settings and I just can't shake them on the one.  They are using different connections - on my HDMI monitor it looks fine, and on my DVI monitor I see the lines.
    Your DVI cable connector might have broken or bent 1 pin.

Happened to me b4.
    Baitness said:
    Your DVI cable connector might have broken or bent 1 pin.

Happened to me b4.
    Thanks for the tip bro, I decided to check by swapping the cables for my monitors.  Unfortunately I got the same result.

It may just be that this monitor doesn't display as wide a range of blues as the other, making ugly lines in the sky where there would normally be a smoother range of blues.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    With the image zoomed in I can barely see some lines in the top center.
    ^That's what I saw too once I knew where to look for those lines.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Yeah I can see them as well, top center. My main monitor is a BenQ GL2460 connected via HDMI to a R9 270x 4GBB card. 1920x1080, vsync off, 60Hz, usual stuff.

Also visible on my second monitor, ViewSonic VA2012w, 1680x1050, same card. Harder to spot at that res but definately there. This one is conncted with DVI.
    Thank you so much for helping guys.  I wanted to clarify that they are not at all difficult for me to see on one of my monitors, they stick out like weird zebra stripes.  I got another picture, looks completely fine on one monitor and silly weird on my other.  I tried looking at them with my phone and tablet also.. I can see it on the phone, and only on the tablet at certain brightness levels.  I never thought I would get so preoccupied with what shade of blue the sky is, but it looks really silly on my main monitor.