Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Speech Denied, SC moving to become a 1984 universe?

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited January 2016
    Maybe if the company wasn't busy misappropriating funds to pay people to monitor sites like somethingawful, there could be product released by now.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Nobody's "freedom of speech" was curtailed here, lol

CIG did not force the other site to remove the posts of the offender, his words are still there for all to read. They simply revoked his privileges to speak on their own forums. Just as any group would censure or expel a disruptive member in that group.

What has been shattered here is the illusion of non-accountability.

What you post on the internet has consequences.

Depending on the nature of the post, it can end your political career or kill your job promotion prospects or end your relationship with your SO or get you fired, possibly even result in prosecution and jail time. A forum ban is a trivial slap on the wrist, great for hyperbole and grandstanding, if you really want to "play the victim" all that much.
    It's just like the people who bitch up a storm about their current job and boss all over Facebook and then wonder why the never get hired anywhere new.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Maybe if the company wasn't busy misappropriating funds to pay people to monitor sites like somethingawful, there could be product released by now.
    Maybe if people didn't make baseless and slanderous allegations (like the one above) on 3rd party websites, they wouldn't get banned from the SC forums ? :D
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    With banning people on their forums for actions on 3rd party sites they are creating people that are on a crusade against them - No company wants this, seems there is someone short-sighted in the marketing-ban-hammer department.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

Adjuvant1 said:
    Maybe if people didn't make baseless and slanderous allegations (like the one above) on 3rd party websites, they wouldn't get banned from the SC forums ? :D
    What's slanderous about it. Is or is not someone being paid to investigate somethingawful?

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    kitarad said:
    How can you defend a practice that allows a company to ban me from their boards for something I said on another board that they do not own ? This makes sense to you ? It is indefensible.
    He was NOT banned because of what he said on another board.

He WAS banned for what he did multiple times on the OFFICIAL Star Citizen board. And he was only banned from the forums, NOT the game itself.

The only thing related to him posting on other boards was that CIG did not wait for him to post shit five times on the official forum  (as per the usual rules on the official SC forums) but permabanned him already after the third offense  (calling his posting on Twitter being "the last straw").

You will find the link to the communications in the OTHER two threads here in the MMORPG SC subforum, that have already been started about this topic (making this thread quite redundant IMHO).

THIS sentence in the article >>>> Apparently, Beer was banned for having discussions with developer Derek Smart, .... >>> is a personal opinion of the author of the article and not in line with known facts (see CIG's official answer to the author of the article : "Just to reiterate…this individual was blocked for behavior on our site.").

So ... to state it AGAIN ...

He was banned for his activity on the official SC boards, NOT for posting somewhere else. He was banned after the third offense (which is unusual, but in my personal opinion perfectly appropriate in this case), not after the usual five offenses because it was known that he is posting his SC rants all over the internet.

Have fun

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    What's slanderous about it. Is or is not someone being paid to investigate somethingawful?

yes there is someone paid to surf the internet and search for bad comments on the game, it's the head of marketing (so the payment is very good)

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

Erillion said:
    kitarad said:
    How can you defend a practice that allows a company to ban me from their boards for something I said on another board that they do not own ? This makes sense to you ? It is indefensible.
    He was NOT banned because of what he said on another board.

He WAS banned for what he did multiple times on the OFFICIAL Star Citizen board. And he was only banned from the forums, NOT the game itself.

The only thing related to him posting on other boards was that CIG did not wait for him to post shit five times on the official forum  (as per the usual rules on the official SC forums) but permabanned him already after the third offense  (calling his posting on Twitter being "the last straw").

You will find the link to the communications in the OTHER two threads here in the MMORPG SC subforum, that have already been started about this topic (making this thread quite redundant IMHO).

THIS sentence in the article >>>> Apparently, Beer was banned for having discussions with developer Derek Smart, .... >>> is a personal opinion of the author of the article and not in line with known facts (see CIG's official answer to the author of the article : "Just to reiterate…this individual was blocked for behavior on our site.").

So ... to state it AGAIN ...

He was banned for his activity on the official SC boards, NOT for posting somewhere else. He was banned after the third offense (which is unusual, but in my personal opinion perfectly appropriate in this case), not after the usual five offenses because it was known that he is posting his SC rants all over the internet.

Have fun

David Maddaluno and "Beer" are not the same person.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Maybe if the company wasn't busy misappropriating funds
    Proof ?

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Maybe if the company wasn't busy misappropriating funds
    Proof ?

Have fun
    Paying a guy to sit around reading what amounts to the predecessor of "random" content on various "chans" is a constructive use of crowdfunding money? Cool. Where do I sign up.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

In most english-speaking countries, you are considered innocent until proven guilty.

The onus is therefore on you to provide proof that CIG:
    1. are paying people to monitor various websites
    2. that this constitutes a "misappropriation of funds" 

Until you can prove the above, you are making baseless allegations that would in fact be grounds for a lawsuit in RL under different circumstances.

Perhaps a really dedicated fanboi sent an alert to CIG about that particular post ? Would that be such a difficult thing to believe ?
    Adjuvant1 said:
    David Maddaluno and "Beer" are not the same person.
    Your point ?

A person WAS banned for what he did multiple times on the OFFICIAL Star Citizen board. Sooner than others, which in my opinion was perfectly appropriate and which was absolutely within the rights of the forum moderators.

Have fun

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    I have no problem with any company taking action against a-holes who go out of their way to disrupt games for other people or attempt to harm the business. Freedom of speech means you are free to say what you want, it doesn't mean you are not responsible for what you say.
    The official response of you believe the emails linked in another thread or I believe the article on the first page is that he was banned for associating with Derek Smart which is the same as corporate espionage. 

I understand you have no rights on someone else's message board but come on! Do you all really see this as a good thing? How long before CIG starts taking action against your game accounts as well for posting criticism somewhere? Or if you happen to say something in game that they don't like. If they monitor you offsite then it's gonna be a hell of a lot easier to monitor you in game and they can make up any bullshit excuse for banning you in game.
    Kefo said:
    ... the article on the first page is that he was banned for associating with Derek Smart which is the same as corporate espionage. ....

Have fun
    edited January 2016
    [mod edit]
    Apparently you didn't read it well. The article is about David Maddaluno, mentions "Beer" later, and you're out in left field arguing what "Beer" did. I'm not even a SC contributor, I'm just very interested in the game, and "I" know who "Beer" is.
    Post edited by Amana on
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited January 2016
    So he was banned for behaviour on SC site. Okay that makes sense. Then it's fine.

Hang on just read what Adjuvant1 posted. So not the same person then.

Kefo said:
    .. Do you all really see this as a good thing? ...
    Not only do I see it as a good thing, but I applaud it !

Pity more game companies don't take their moderation duties more seriously.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Talonsin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Personally I like it. It needs to be done more often. Too often people use the excuse of freedom of speech to spread toxicity and it's become pandemic. Now we're breeding a society of bullies under the guise of freedom of speech. Ban away!!!
    I like it too!  Lets ban anyone who ever said anything remotely negative about anything from everything!  Lets monitor all our employees facebook and twitter accounts and find some excuse for firing them!  Lets do away with all the negativity on the internet and make it just rainbows and butterfly's!!!

/sarcasm off

Awwwwwww, someone is upset that they got banned from a game that they've spouted nothing but disdain for. *humph* So why are they so upset? Oh, and just to be honest, if you think that you aren't being monitored on Facebook or Twitter then you're very naive. 

There's no infringement on freedom of speech here. They have every right to speak, and they did. However, people somehow believe that freedom of speech someone absolves them from any sort of consequences for their actions. This person has every right to demonstrate, the same way that SC has every right to remove him from their community. 

I mean I do prefer it when the trash takes itself out, but I guess this'll have to do. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited January 2016
    Why are you still going on about freedom of speech ? Ahh the title. No wonder.

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    edited January 2016
    Freedom of speech = Freedom to say whatever you want to. It does not mean you are free from the consequences of your actions.
    If you are actively punishing people for what they say, then you are attempting to reduce their freedom of speech. I.e. you are really against freedom of speech.
      You can post whatever the hell you want. And you will face the consequences of posting something the owners of the forum don't approve of. Nothing is being limited at all. Yes they are punishing people because that is the CONSEQUENCE of their action. But that's how life works. Your actions have consequences regardless if you like them or not.

Is blocking of telemarketers going against freedom of speech?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    tawess said:

Anyway... this is still not related to free speech. 
    Pretty much "this". I really wish our education system would do a better job explaining to people what "freedom of speech" really is.

Having said that, if people are talking badly about a company then why be customers? Gamerz are funny people. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

If a person doesn't like a company, has issues with them then don't patronize them. I don't see why this is so hard.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited January 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Apparently you didn't read it well. The article is about David Maddaluno, mentions "Beer" later, and you're out in left field arguing what "Beer" did. I'm not even a SC contributor, I'm just very interested in the game, and "I" know who "Beer" is.
    Your point ?

More than one person was banned for what they did multiple times on the OFFICIAL Star Citizen board. Some sooner than others, which in my opinion was perfectly appropriate and which was absolutely within the rights of the forum moderators.

David Maddaluno specifically was banned for activity on the OFFICIAL Star Citizen media channels, as the article itself states: "Maddaluno was permanently banned on October 10th, 2015 during the CitCon live-stream, .."..." ....CIG handed out his ban for being “toxic” ..."

Neither of those two was specifically banned for acting out their freedom of speech on other media - both were banned for being toxic on the OFFICIAL CIG media channels ! They are just ranting about getting slapped on their fingers ... and some others listen to them and talk about it from their personal point of view (like the author of the article).

Have fun

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Freedom off speech has nothing to do with being invited back.
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    scorpex-x said:
    vorpal28 said:
    Ok first a link...

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/01/star-citizen-backers-can-be-perma-banned-for-off-site-activity/

It would seem that you can no longer criticize Star Citizen, without facing the chance of being banned.

As a long time supporter of SC (and backer) I find this more than slightly worrying, while I find that the notion of free speech can be overused sometimes, don't we as users/backers/supporters have a right to say something negative about SC without getting banned?
    This applies to almost any games official forums though, you have zero free speech rights on the internet or in private property.

I've been banned from multiple official game forums for telling it like it is and the moderators paid by the company that runs the game want to silence you but I completely understand why they do it.  This is pretty obvious isn't it?

They own the forum, why should they let you trash talk their companies product on their forum?  Just paying money doesn't let you hate on a game on their property.
    Next time read the post and the link.  He was banned for his offsite statements, not on SC's forums.  
    Sovrath said:
    tawess said:

Anyway... this is still not related to free speech. 
    Pretty much "this". I really wish our education system would do a better job explaining to people what "freedom of speech" really is.

Having said that, if people are talking badly about a company then why be customers? Gamerz are funny people. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

If a person doesn't like a company, has issues with them then don't patronize them. I don't see why this is so hard.
    Because they're crowdfunders, they can't get refunds, and they're critical of the way the entity is being managed and frustrated for sordid lack of progress. YET the company continues to collect revenue. People keep throwing money at this project and, meanwhile, the project is not only censoring naysayers in its own forum (fine), but they're stalking people in other media. WHY don't they unfuck themselves and give this "Sandi Gardiner" person's income to 4 more coders over the next 6 months and give people something they paid for over 3 years ago?