Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Ideas

elfdragon21elfdragon21 Member UncommonPosts: 47

The Matrix Online: The Beginning

This will be a prequel to the Matrix movies and the Matrix Online MMORPG. At first, you can only choose to be a human that is not unplugged from the system yet. In the first 10 levels of the game, you will still be plugged in and discovering that things aren’t what they seem. You develop your character with the first 10 levels and build on your story. At level 10, you decide whether or not to take the red or blue pill. If you choose to take the red pill, the story ends and you can create a new character with a new storyline (this is only if you don’t like how your character and your progression), or the blue pill if you want to wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. Once you are satisfied with your character and your character’s storyline, you will wake up, escape the pink pod, and meet your crew. You will have to go through basic matrix training to learn how to fight using different fighting styles. Your final fighting style choice will not change so be sure to make the right choice. Then you will be plugged into the Matrix and will go to meet the Oracle. She will tell you only what you will need to hear. The rest of the Matrix is an open world where anything can happen. You will not have a skill set, but you will pick up skills through the thousands of different missions throughout the game. Some quests cannot be done without completing a quest where you learn that skill. The skills will be learned and will remain in a skill bank until you need or want to use it again. You will only be able to use 10 skills at a time, so choose wisely. All weapons are available for use including guns, grenades, rocket launchers, and swords. Vehicles, helicopters, and motorcycles can all be driven as long as you learn have the skill in your skill bank. Most skills can be upgrade to a more power skill, with unique ability choices. Some skills are very unique and several difficult missions must be completed in order to gain that skill. You will gain 5 points every time you level to spend in vitality, dexterity, strength, wisdom, and intelligence. Also, 1 point per level will be given to spend in your selected fighting style. Bullet time can be used at any time but can deplete and will need time to refill. The speed of your bullet time replenishment is dependent on how many points you put into wisdom. Intelligence determines your max bullet time. Only your character can see bullet time. Everyone else only sees your character moving at a faster pace. Agents are in the game and can appear at any time depending on how much attention you attract by people still plugged into the Matrix. You will only have a limited time to eliminate potential threats. They are extremely dangerous, so if you see one you will need to run to escape. You can stand up to them but no one has stood up to an Agent and lived to tell about it. Matrix programs are also within the Matrix and some can be helpful while others can be extremely dangerous. So be careful which programs you choose to trust. There will be a total of 60 levels to start and the neighborhoods and quests within the city are very different. There will be a lot of time spent on making each building and the inside of each building very unique. I think the problem with the Matrix Online was that everything looked the same. You will not feel that way in this game.  Finally, you will be able to fight several NPCs at once instead of one at a time. It will be real time and not turn based. You will be able to dodge bullets, kicks, and punches. This game will eventually have expansions that will open up new neighborhoods and missions, maybe even letting players choose to be a program instead of a human. This game will definitely be a step up in graphics and entertainment compared to the first Matrix Online game.

Comments

• l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
    There already was a Matrix MMO.
  • elfdragon21elfdragon21 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited November 2015
    @l2avism, I know but it sucked.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    This would be a poor investment as the original MMO tanked pretty hard.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

edited November 2015
    @Dauntis, I agree but it tanked because it was boring. The scenery and missions were too similar and there were too many glitches. When Sony took over, they just made it worse. I know it will never happen, but I wish it would. I would like to hear other MMORPG ideas from other gamers.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I think Shadowrun would be an excellent mmorpg, but it seems that the property now is forever tied to isometric games from the early 90's or FPS crap games. It just has the perfect setup for an MMO with built in quest givers.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

@Dauntis, Shadowrun would make a great mmorpg! I would play it.
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

A game that played out like Dark Souls would be revolutionary.

I don't mean like, kill you a million times but more like that "dungeon" is only about 500 feet across and it only has a dozen mobs and 3 traps, but it will take you a day or two to get through it cleanly.

Or you're the thief and you need to steal something from that small keep. Its got 8 guards,2 captains, a lord and a few traps. It will take you a dozen tries and it will be different every time.

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Why bothering using the Matrix setting? It isn't popular anymore to give you enough players to actually be worth buying a license.

Netrunner, Shadowrun or Willian Gibsons "Neuromancer" would all give you more players today and probably cheaper. Or you could make a similar but legally different world yourself (like most MMOs do, usually from Forgotten realms).

Using a slightly famous IP only have advantages if people still enjoy it. Matrix sadly remind most of us of sequels that make "The phantom menace" look like a masterpiece.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Loke666 said:
    Why bothering using the Matrix setting? It isn't popular anymore to give you enough players to actually be worth buying a license.

Netrunner, Shadowrun or Willian Gibsons "Neuromancer" would all give you more players today and probably cheaper. Or you could make a similar but legally different world yourself (like most MMOs do, usually from Forgotten realms).

Using a slightly famous IP only have advantages if people still enjoy it. Matrix sadly remind most of us of sequels that make "The phantom menace" look like a masterpiece.

to be fair pretty much all IP licenses for a game is not worth the price. Its better to spend that money on more game play. I feel the same about well known actor voice acting to...waste of cash

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited January 2016
    No you wouldn't.  You wouldn't even play what you typed in the OP.  The developers could build it exactly to the specifications you asked and you would be upset and complain it wasn't what you wanted.  This isn't an attack on you, but it is just human nature.  I have a vision of a great MMO in my head too that I would love to play, but I guarantee if they built it would suck to me.

JemAs666 said:
    No you wouldn't.  You wouldn't even play what you typed in the OP.  The developers could build it exactly to the specifications you asked and you would be upset and complain it wasn't what you wanted.  This isn't an attack on you, but it is just human nature.  I have a vision of a great MMO in my head too that I would love to play, but I guarantee if they built it would suck to me.

Maybe so, we all remember Microsoft really crappy Shadowrun FPS game.

I think you could pull it off if you are true to the original but we all know that any publisher would turn it into Wow with assault rifles. The only way to make it right would be actually hiring some people who worked on the pen and paper game and help them turn their pen and paper game into a MMORPG.

And anyways, Shadowrun would probably be far easier and cheaper as a CORPG (like GW and DDO) then as a MMORPG. It is all about small groups fighting the mega corps after all and you don't need much of an open world for that.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    SEANMCAD said:

to be fair pretty much all IP licenses for a game is not worth the price. Its better to spend that money on more game play. I feel the same about well known actor voice acting to...waste of cash
    to me, may be.

I would much rather play Marvel characters in a video game, then some knock-off no-name hero, and I can't see how that can happen without a marvel license. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    @Dauntis, I agree but it tanked because it was boring. The scenery and missions were too similar and there were too many glitches. When Sony took over, they just made it worse. I know it will never happen, but I wish it would. I would like to hear other MMORPG ideas from other gamers.

Can't someone always point to a failed game and say that?  Perhaps the Matrix isn't a big enough draw?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• evgen88evgen88 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    JemAs666 said:

Whoa Mr negative! XD
    I know most MMORPGs have sucked recently, but I don't think it has anythign to do with the genre or technology, but all to do with greedy publishers and investors hoping for WoW money with not enough money or dev time.
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Game of Thrones would be a nice one. A lot of elements in that show from magic to dragons to undead.
  • jakeyshadowjakeyshadow Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited January 2016
    Just a random thought, but is anyone else surprised that there are no MMORPG/MOBA mash-up games? like one that would somehow combine the two together. Maybe have an avatar that can explore the world, complete quests, earn items that may somehow benefit you in matches , etc, while also being able to choose between multiple characters when it comes to fighting other players(like league, or smite). Or say, a game where each champ must be progressed in the MMORPG aspect open world part of the game in order to unlock skills and progress further. Obviously, i do see the drawback in creating a game like this, such as uniqueness of items ( or lack thereof ) how to make an item unique to certain achievements, while not giving them too OP aspects in the MOBA aspect of the game, but i still feel like it would be a unique concept , that if done right, could combine the two different genres in a way that re-defines the gaming community maybe?  just curious to know peoples thoughts. Since i wasn't sure how to make a threat i kind of felt this thread would be appropriate to ask the question. Sorry if I'm intruding haha.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Game of Thrones would be a nice one. A lot of elements in that show from magic to dragons to undead.
    nah .. the setting of GoT is pretty pedestrian. There are many settings that have magic, dragons and undeed. Heck, what fantasy world does not have those.

GoT is so good NOT because of magic & dragon. It is so good because of its characters, with no qualms doing the most cruel things  to them, and the story.

None of these things can be made good in a MMO. You can't surprise a player but killing his main character, with a plot twist, in a RPG
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Video games based on other 3rd party IPs tend to suck more times than not. For the rare ones that don't, it's still far too risky IMO.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    A fairly known IP that would, by its own setting, be a good MMO would be Ghost in the Shell. The combination of weapons and prosthetics could open the door for many progression opportunities/abilities. I know they made it into a shooter but I still think it could make a good, fully fledged MMORPG.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    a Western. Cowboys. Indians.... and settlers.

Cowboys vs. Aliens?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited January 2016
    How about an MMORPG where you play as monster and raid the human village , town , city ?
    Catch human , elf , orc or dwarf and turn them to pet .
    Create a nest as guild base and then raid other nest for good stuff .
    Become stronger kind monster out of many kind of monsters . The evolution require materials that drop from human an other monster .

Play first person view with virtual reality aiming support , dress up your pet with the loot and let them help you .

Video games based on other 3rd party IPs tend to suck more times than not. For the rare ones that don't, it's still far too risky IMO.
    Yeah, the reason for that is that the devs tend to basically merge the IP with the standard EQ/WoW mechanics. Those worlds were customized together with the mechanics for them (even if Blizzard took what lore Warcraft already had.

But when we play a Game of thrones game, a Star trek game or a Star wars one we kinda want it to feel like you actually are in the world of the IP and standard MMO mechanics works badly for that.

If you want to turn an IP into a MMO you can't just slap basic mechanics on it, you must customize specific mechanics that fits into the IP. You don't add healers and magic to an IP that only have a handful Istari that can use magic. You don't add tanking into a game that are based on movies that doesn't have anything like that at all in the movies and so on.

If you must use the same old mechanics as everyone else you either create a world where that works or you find an IP that actually works with it (Forgotten realms for instance works far better with the whole thing then Westeros, even if certain MMO features feel a bit off there as well).

Dont just add 2 things that don't work together. That never ends well, the only question is how badly you fail.

iixviiiix said:
    How about an MMORPG where you play as monster and raid the human village , town , city ?
    Catch human , elf , orc or dwarf and turn them to pet .
    Create a nest as guild base and then raid other nest for good stuff .
    Become stronger kind monster out of many kind of monsters . The evolution require materials that drop from human an other monster .

Play first person view with virtual reality aiming support , dress up your pet with the loot and let them help you .

You could certainly make a game like that work, evil races like drow are hugely popular and don't mind slaving. But you couldn't really sell that game to any publisher, the PC (politically corrrect, not personal computer) would eat the game alive. 

Could possibly work in Europe and Asia but you would get sued in the US for everything you own.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    I found the Matrix to be interesting but confusing.
    I sort of got the impression they were plugged in but to one aspect of the whole system/Matrix.Sort of like the creator of the creator impression,no different than us and computers and the possibility of plugging into a computer for VR but in reality there is a much bigger picture with god/creator and his creator and so on and so on.
    I don't think the red/blue pill is good enough it leads to only two directions,ok for a single player game not enough for a MMO.Learning skills,yes of course.
    No i do not like the "Choose 10 skills idea",i prefer a versatile calls/sub class system but you must be a class at all times and that determines your abilities and roles/spells.That would be even more obvious if going with the MATRIX theme because in that movie each character had a ROLE a specific one,

Yes i have played missions and quests in games,not a huge  fan of it but if it is for an outside storyline i am ok with it,i never like a game directed at story and linear questing.

Matrix ideas,no i do not want any kind of bullet time,i feel that would look silly in a game and of course the ONLY result would be making combat TOO  EASY.I guess however if you wanted to make that a special ability of some class with a very long timer as a sort of OP ability that must be used wisely or in a dire situation i am ok with it just not done as a constant ability every minute or so is just no good.

Bottom line,i did enjoy the movie but i don't think i would like a  game done as such,for one thing i am not a big fan of pew pew guns likely why i prefer Quake and Unreal in fps's over say Counterstrike and it's minigun pistol ideas.I am slo not a fan of grenades either or anything that is just a steady OP move.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.