Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 for the Chairman: Episode 74 - Star Citizen

2»

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Notice how the start date of game development for Star Citizen varies, depending on what's most useful for the argument at hand?

Freelancer was something of a similar game, and it took 7 years to get out.   That's 4 and a half years after the original date that Roberts put on it.  You'd think he'd learn.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Funny I always thought the whole kickstarter thing was to get the big wigs out of the way so the game's could be made the way the developers/designers could work their magic. But then you turn it around when things start taking longer not because of the development but because CR keeps changing things and redesigning so it pushes everything back.

So CR has to be the games worse enemy/big wig because he is doing exactly what kickstarter was suppose to avoid. :-D

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To start ,i thought he promoted his brother to run the UK operation,so why is Chris spending money on flights to actually go there?He can't conference call or skype or phone his brother,he doesn't trust his brother?

#1 sounds like they hadn't even put any thought into it until asked the question ...sigh.
    #2 High priority yeah no kidding cash shop here we come.
    #3 is a scary topic that would introduce rmt ,really bad idea.
    #4 Stealth has to be well thought out,simply i would not allow stealth for longer than 30 seconds.
    #5 Definitely "think" there will be game play,,,i always get this feeling there is still no real game in place.
    #6 Still sounds like it's all done through automation and instance,even in these tunnels.
    #7 Again working on it,this is typical of every question,seems nothing in this game is even close to half done.
    #8 thinking about it....sigh.
    #9 meaningless question,obviously many have misconception of what this really is.
    #10 buy buy buy ,,of course we will have these offered with RMT lol.
    I see anything and everything you would expect to be part of a game world to be tied to the cash shop and that is a sad thing,outside game interference is a big blemish on any game.

VERY distant light !!! yes keep that money coming in :P

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Kefo said:
    Brenics said:
    Xeno.phon said:
    Brenics said:
    Xeno.phon said:
    Each of these listed titles also having a massive and experienced team and studio backing them. (except everquest).

Still don't see how you can compare SC to any of the others?
    Still dont see how you can get away with all the speculation and slander you spew on these forums.

Though to answer your "question" Budget, interest, studio size and ambition.
    But SC is the first of it's kind, money going to only 1 man no board of directors. 1 man is making the decision's. Nope I can't see comparing it to any of the others. 
    You are living in your own delusional world. Of course it compares to the time to make other games. It's a game. 

So what's your explanation for EQ then? 3 years to make and depending on who you talk to SC is just past 3 years or just past 4 years.

I wonder if people will still pull this chart out as a (poor) defense if SC is still in a alpha state a year from now or 2 years from now.
    They will. Most of them i think spend too much dollars. When you spend money on some project you are more inclined to defend it and see past their flaws. It is psychology 101. 
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    edited January 2016
    donger56 said:
    TLDR version..... keep sending us money you suckers, we are enjoying our 4th year of flying around having a great time while pretending to make this game. See you next year for the next Alpha version!
    Next PTU Alpha build hit this morning.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    So WTF??????
    Is the game an MMORPG or not? 

As I understand, it's a smaller number multiplayer game based on smaller instances. This is getting freaking ridiculous. As soon as someone asks a question, it's OK to compare it all all the MMORPGs that came before. But sure as shit, when it's nolonger convenient to compare this to an MMORPG, it's a Space Sim then.....don't call it an MMORPG.

I'm calling bullshit.

If it's not an MMORPG, comparing it to one means squat.

It is an MMORPG that is a space sim, ie. in space.  Here is a pretty good overview on the instancing. 

It's probably more similar to Eve Online than other traditional MMORPGs in the sense that it's in space and the majority of your skill/power comes from the ship and modules that you choose for an encounter/job.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2016
    If the alpha hasn't moved on in a year (less tbh) then there should be serious questions. SC wil live or die by what happens going forward. And I don't expect Q1 to be an issue - I expect them to have enough new stuff nearing fruition to show progress. It is beyond that that it will get more telling.
    esting.

And I agree with Brenics - maybe from a different perspective - SC doesn't - directly - compare to any of the games on that chart. Sure they are all games but producing a game is about a whole lot more than "coding".

The development of EQ was backed by Sony after JS et. al. pitched their idea to Sony; so it will actually have been in "concept development" longer. Once funding was secured however - no need to pass around the kickstarter bowl every few weeks. And Sony had an organisation that they could call on to set things up.

Want to see what happens when funding gets tight ... EQN anybody? Staff get laid off, development slows down or - worst case - stops. Securing funding is huge.

Blizzard were an established company when they started WoW with e.g. systems in place to pay people a weekly /monthly wage; paying staff may not seem to have much to do with developing a game but when you don't pay your staff you usually find they leave. And that is just one of those tedious little details - they want a desk, chair, PC, software - which means you have to have someone to buy the stuff and someone to hire the person to buy the stuff.. less tedious details ... making sure you have registered the copyright of your title. An established organisation has all of this. Same deal for NCSoft of course.
    As for TESO it had years of lore development behind it in addition to the funding and established company to set up ZoS.

Starting from scratch - so much to do. Via kickstarter?

In some ways using kickstarter is a blessing but in other ways - yeah.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    That just exacerbates the problem of having a poor project manager at the helm.   Especially one who won't listen to others when there are problems.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• LucyFurLucyFur Member UncommonPosts: 6
    ya