Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the best MMO enough?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
i have returned to WoW a few months ago, and i must say that this game still stands out when it comes to quallity and content..

let me rephrase how i play the game, i have several characters level locked in old content, and recently finished Cataclysm and pandaria story lines..  I have also two max level characters that have played trough all the content of Draenor.  I am not a real endgame player, but WoWs endgame is actually fun ( tough i have no experience yet in the highest level of raids). 

If you like me like trinnity combat games with tab targetting and love lore and quests, then this game is still the best..  I even like the garrison, but then when i see how my guild,ates take all their characters every day trough the same chores in their garrisons, its quite obvious to me, Blizzard should have made Garrisons accountwide... One garrison for all your chararcters ( or 2 one horde and one alliance) would have made it a much more meaningfull less grindy place..

the actuall game world is more fun then any other MMO out there (to me) there are a lot different things you can do, much more then in previous expansions (a good example is tresure hunting) but this is where it also goes wrong with the current world of warcraft.. blizzard does not produce enough content in between expansions to keep people active...   Thats a shame, because the quallity of all the sepperate parts of the game is top knotch and diverse.. Quests are great, there is exploration, there is a war raging and you feel part of it...  

YET there is not enough content available at max level to keep people busy.... And thats why they are loosing subs...  One would think with still 5 million paying subs, Blizzard has enough money to produce new content on a monthley base... (Battlegrounds, open world zones, dungeons, raids, epic questlines, mini games) ... I can live with the fact that classes are linear, because there is 33 of them... But i have a hard time with the linear content if there will be no new comtent for over a year...

now who is going to explain to Blizzard that they are killing the poppulation of their best selling game because they fail to invest enough money in new content...   A good chunck of new content on a monthly base, or making old content replayable at max level ( more then just dungeons) is a requirement to keep both the mainly casuall population as well as the very vocal endgame population interested 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,034
    edited February 2016
    I think the horde of failures in the MMO market has really turned people off of MMOs.  This genre demands a long term investment, and people are tired of investing months/years into games that go barren or outright fail a couple/few years after release.

This makes it hard for newer games to gain traction as well.  People are not as willing to leave their 5+ year old characters in WoW and other long-standing (but not as popular as they once were) MMORPGs to try the next big thing when the potential for failure is still as high as it is.

WoW is old now.  WoW these days is basically EverQuest in 2004.  People would love a better option, but none really exist right now and the games being released are too big a risk to jump on, since you're going to be putting yourself behind in WoW as a result.

With the way they've designed some timesinks into the game (i.e. Legendary Rings, Artifact Weapons, etc.) it is too risky to "take a break" to try something new and many of us simply don't have the time or want to play two MMORPG games full-time.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    @darksworm I don't think people are so much resistant to change as they are unimpressed by the options available. It seems like for any decent new MMO people swarm in to try them out. Then go back to what they were playing before or some single player game.

@lord.bachus  the last I heard from Blizzard it sounded like they actually were taking their dwindling sub number to heart and were thinking of doing more than the minimum past Legion. I'm skeptical though. I don't think any large game companies will do what it takes to make, or in this case, maintain a good mmorpg.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,034
    edited February 2016
    @esc-joconnor You're pretty much agreeing with me.  And investment in characters in an MMORPG is a big deal to players who have poured thousands of hours in them.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    edited March 2016
    Darksworm said:
    I think the horde of failures in the MMO market has really turned people off of MMOs.  This genre demands a long term investment, and people are tired of investing months/years into games that go barren or outright fail a couple/few years after release.

This makes it hard for newer games to gain traction as well.  People are not as willing to leave their 5+ year old characters in WoW and other long-standing (but not as popular as they once were) MMORPGs to try the next big thing when the potential for failure is still as high as it is.

WoW is old now.  WoW these days is basically EverQuest in 2004.  People would love a better option, but none really exist right now and the games being released are too big a risk to jump on, since you're going to be putting yourself behind in WoW as a result.

With the way they've designed some timesinks into the game (i.e. Legendary Rings, Artifact Weapons, etc.) it is too risky to "take a break" to try something new and many of us simply don't have the time or want to play two MMORPG games full-time.
    I don't share your pessimism. 

I'd say that a lot of Blizzard's money has gone into the new WoW film.

The trailer looks amazing. It should appeal to children as well as adults. It also has a very interesting message - it's suggesting that the West (The Alliance) should team up with sympathetic factions in the Middle East (The Horde) and defeat ISIS (the mystery enemy).

The film looks as if it will go to sequels.

This should mean a very good future for WoW.