Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As our phones improve, mmorpgs will experience a reawakening

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    apb2011 said:
    When we all ditch MMOs and games in general, and go out and get laid, we will experience an awakening.
    Not all people who play MMOs spend every minute in the weekend playing you know. Going to the pub or whatever now and then is usually a great idea but gamers really aren't all the same and some of us try to have actual lives as well as game. The super nerdy guys and girls that play more or less all their spare time away are not so common as people tend to believe.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    "As our phones improve, mmorpgs will experience a reawakening"

No

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    edited December 2015
    In order to play any MMO on my smartphone I need it to have a 24 inch monitor in 1080p, a keyboard, a mouse, a metric shit ton of RAM/VRAM and all the other things I need for a proper MMORPG to be experienced to it's fullest potential. At which point it's a PC, not a phone.

I've yet to see any mobile game that I have any interest in playing, or that looks any good graphically. Come to think of it, I'll apply the same conditions to any MMO that comes out on a console. They just don't offer the same level of immersion for me, regardless of the potential for a 40" screen. They just seem to be dumbed down too much in order for the controller to be sufficient for interaction. Plus they look like shit compared to my PC.

As for these apps that link you into facebook etc, I don't use social media so I don't give a rat's ass about them, I'm far too paranoid for any of that shit.

I am a fully paid up member of The PC Master Race and proud of it.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    In order to play any MMO on my smartphone I need it to have a 24 inch monitor in 1080p, a keyboard, a mouse, a metric shit ton of RAM/VRAM and all the other things I need for a proper MMORPG to be experienced to it's fullest potential. At which point it's a PC, not a phone.

I've yet to see any mobile game that I have any interest in playing, or that looks any good graphically. Come to think of it, I'll apply the same conditions to any MMO that comes out on a console. They just don't offer the same level of immersion for me, regardless of the potential for a 40" screen. They just seem to be dumbed down too much in order for the controller to be sufficient for interaction. Plus they look like shit compared to my PC.

As for these apps that link you into facebook etc, I don't use social media so I don't give a rat's ass about them, I'm far too paranoid for any of that shit.

I am a fully paid up member of The PC Master Race and proud of it.
    Well, you could jack it up to VR gear with those weird controlers you put on your arms as well, but VR graphics from a cellphone would just look terrible.

So, yeah... PC gaming did become really mainstream between 2000-2013 or so and now the mainstream people are moving away from playing Farmville on their PC to playing candy crush on their cellphone while the people who played the larger games we always had on PC will stay there.

Personally I think that is a good thing for us, it might hurt certain games (like the Sims) but we will move on as we did before they showed up. Maybe they can up the difficulty of the game somewhat as well when we get rid of the people who jumps in and out of games for 20 minutes now and then who never bother to really learn the games.
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    "As our phones improve, mmorpgs will experience a reawakening"

No

Agreed..no.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I'll take apps that can handle crafting or other minigames shared between those on smartphones and those in game but playing the entire thing on a phone? No thanks. Even a tablet would not have the controls necessary IMO to compete for the same experience.

Holograph screens with motion sensing for KB/Mouse functionality? Getting closer but the space and even time to play an MMO like that would be dicey. Seems pretty limited.

Note: I think the idea is great as I like seeing forward technology. I'm putting myself in the situation however and other than crafting/minigames would wait until I got to my computer.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Smartphones are really inferior phones, they are good tablets though.

Flip phones 15 years ago were far superior phones.

So the phone part is not really improving, what's improving is the graphics, camera, storage, cpu , all the other pieces.

You can still buy flip phones. Doro make quite a few, and tbh, they are superior to 'smart phones' in all the ways that matter, at least if you want a mobile phone, smart phones are probably a bit of a fad, in a few years they will probably have been replaced with something else, probably something wearable, and less likely to get broken because its in your back pocket, assuming you have a smart phone thats even pocket sized that is.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Aori said:
    So you're saying phones are going to be able to do productivity tasks like a PC too? I hate gaming on a phone, its awkward and uncomfortable. I'll take my larger screen and comfy seating arrangement.

As edgy as people want to be, nothing will beat sitting at a desk with a mouse and keyboard until we start plugging crap into our brains directly.
    You already have consoles that beat pcs for gaming lol.

for mobile gaming anything less than a tablet is too small for me so if I play a game I stick to my iPad not my iPhone. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    The only sphere in which mobile gaming is going to have any meaningful impact is on the social gaming front and heavier tie-ins within your general daily life.

It's not particularly about letting you play the same game on the go, it's more so about attaching all the communication, organization, and meta tools to have a continuous awareness of game activity even when "offline". This has happened to a light degree already and there are players that continuously game the auction in WoW from their phones. Where this can expand though is deeper integration into the character, by letting you queue side activities such as crafting and maintenance while offline so that your active play experience is more steam lined as well as your investment into the game becoming deeper.

Other sphere is augmented reality. That part...really isn't prepared to take off. Virtual reality even less so. IT's got many promising aspects, but still too many limiting factors to make it more than an entertaining gimmick rather than a truly concrete product.

Pokemon GO will be an interesting game to observe on that front, however.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    edited December 2015
    No thanks. It might generate a whole new audience for MMOs though, but that audience isn't going to spend a lot of time on one sitting, so some design changes need to be made.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Phones were meant to exchange important messages not for gaming and it should stay that way.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Over the last 25 years of my gaming life, I have consistently increased my screen size and resolution.

Why on earth would I want to go back to playing my games on a 6" screen ?! 

Ridiculous idea, lol
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Over the last 25 years of my gaming life, I have consistently increased my screen size and resolution.

Ridiculous idea, lol
    Mobility, ease of access, ergonomics (imagine playing while prone on a bed or comfortable couch).

Some use cases: playing while on public transportation, playing while waiting on an appointment, wherever you happen to be the game is also there.

People are still trying to think about a PC UI on a smartphone: that isn't going to work. Imagine instead a UI that is designed from the ground up for mobile.

It's one of those things that's sort of hard to describe unless you've experienced it.

And Mr greasy fingers, may I recommend hand sanitizer? It works wonders; my phone screen is just fine.

Last thing: screen size. This doesn't matter as much as you think it does. If it's an immersive game, it's just as easy to get lost in a 6" screen as on a 27" screen. It's a little trick of human psychology: whether it's reading a book or imagining a world when viewed electronically, the mind has the ability to adjust things as necessary.  Of course, if you have a poor UX it's going to yank the user right out of that immersive zone. That's why I understand why so many that have gone looking for the promise of that 'WoW-like', deep experience on a phone have become jaded after so many silly, 2" deep games on the mobile market.

I'm telling you, the experience you're looking for is already out there: I've been playing something on mobile for the last four years that I have been on PC since 2003, and I would consider it deeper than WoW.

So, go ahead and keep snarking, but consider that you may be missing out. All it takes is letting go of what you think you know. Even so, some will refuse to even accept what's right in front of them because it's contrary to their familiar lifestyle.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Ridiculous idea, lol
    Mobility, ease of access, ergonomics (imagine playing while prone on a bed or comfortable couch).

Some use cases: playing while on public transportation, playing while waiting on an appointment, wherever you happen to be the game is also there.

People are still trying to think about a PC UI on a smartphone: that isn't going to work. Imagine instead a UI that is designed from the ground up for mobile.

I'm telling you, the experience you're looking for is already out there: I've been playing something on mobile for the last four years that I have been on PC since 2003, and I would consider it deeper than WoW.

So, go ahead and keep snarking, but consider that you may be missing out. All it takes is letting go of what you think you know. Even so, some will refuse to even accept what's right in front of them because it's contrary to their familiar lifestyle.
    You entirely and comprehensively missed my point.

The UI's of the games I play work just as well on a 17" screen as they do on a 30" screen, yet I prefer to play on the 30" screen. The UI is irrelevant, the amount of game world I can see is the important thing.

You're right, "the experience I'm looking for is already out there". I'm playing it on my 30" monitor, lol

The MMORPG's or SPG's I like to play would not be enjoyable on a 6" screen. In Fallout or ESO I would not be able to see a damn thing on that tiny screen. Besides, I don't play those games in 10-minute bites, so mobility is irrelevant.

Personal taste and preferences are not a matter of "what you know". Knowing more about sheep's brains is not going to make me like the taste of them, even though some other people absolutely love them.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I grew up with Nintendo Game & Watch -games in early 80's. Now i can play games on 50" HD flat screens. Playing games on these new mobile devices is like going 30 years back in time.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I'd rather carry around my PSP or 3DS than play games on my phone.

1 - They are built for games not for multiuse.
    2 - They are more comfortable.
    3 - My PSP can emulate PSX games aka best games ever created.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Ridiculous idea, lol

You entirely and comprehensively missed my point.

The UI's of the games I play work just as well on a 17" screen as they do on a 30" screen, yet I prefer to play on the 30" screen. The UI is irrelevant, the amount of game world I can see is the important thing.

You're right, "the experience I'm looking for is already out there". I'm playing it on my 30" monitor, lol

The MMORPG's or SPG's I like to play would not be enjoyable on a 6" screen. In Fallout or ESO I would not be able to see a damn thing on that tiny screen. Besides, I don't play those games in 10-minute bites, so mobility is irrelevant.

Personal taste and preferences are not a matter of "what you know". Knowing more about sheep's brains is not going to make me like the taste of them, even though some other people absolutely love them.
    No, I didn't miss your point; you are taking the approach of absolute size in your argument, which is the wrong way of thinking about it.

Right now, we have the projection technology to create moving visual displays on the sides of buildings. By your argument, you must be having an awful experience on your home PC because there is a display system out there that creates a frame 100x larger! Reducto ad absurdum.

There is also a mobile device just hitting the market that puts you totally inside the game world, making it possible (among other things) to create the impression of being inside a full scale movie theatre.

What's important is not screen size as much as effective field of view. If you are using a static desktop monitor, yes, screen size will be more important than a hand held device equipped with accelerometers.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• KirzanKirzan Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited December 2015
    Adjuvant1 said:
    How soon until technology is such, can we have a "World of Warcraft style experience" on our smartphones?

Which companies seem to be anticipating this?

It seems the majority of population are content with devices which are sufficient for their needs. Is this why mmorpgs are out of favor lately, because people don't "need" machines bigger than an iphone for practical purposes, therefore the majority just don't use pcs which currently are the necessary medium for large-scale games? Was WoW big in 2005-2007 because fewer people had smartphones? If all you need is cellular connection, a video camera, facebook, twitter, and a handful of apps, what will life be like when your device simply can do more?
    Never. Mobile game development isn't about making a big, quality, expensive game. It's about making a low cost mini-game, and selling you basic game features. This is what CFO want. Why bother? Mobile gamers are fine with paying 5$ for 15 lives in a platforming game that's designed to be frustrating and the difficulty curve extremely steep.

MMORPGs are "out of favor" lately because the genre has become stale. It has absolutely nothing to do with the platforms that they are being played on. It's because we've been (in some cases literally) spammed with shallow themeparks for 10 years and gamers are starting to want something newfresh and different.

WoW was big in 2004-2008 because it actually was a newfresh and different take on MMORPGs. Every single MMO prior to WoW was hardcore. They all required now-considered crazy amounts of time invested to achieve the slightest progress and they all required people to group together to do something so simple as "gaining experience to level up". WoW changed that. They catered to the more casual audience by making the majority of the game as a whole a solo-friendly experience. WoW was born from 2 EverQuest players who wanted exactly that: A more accessible experience. Once again, it had absolutely nothing to do with the platform.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Adjuvant1 said:
    How soon until technology is such, can we have a "World of Warcraft style experience" on our smartphones?

Which companies seem to be anticipating this?

It seems the majority of population are content with devices which are sufficient for their needs. Is this why mmorpgs are out of favor lately, because people don't "need" machines bigger than an iphone for practical purposes, therefore the majority just don't use pcs which currently are the necessary medium for large-scale games? Was WoW big in 2005-2007 because fewer people had smartphones? If all you need is cellular connection, a video camera, facebook, twitter, and a handful of apps, what will life be like when your device simply can do more?
    A WOW experience on a smartphone? I guess it depends on which part of the experience you're referring to. If Barrens chat is what you enjoy, you can already get that - it's called Twitter. The rest of the WOW experience? No, not so much... not likely to happen for a few decades and then it won't be smartphones doing it - it'll be your cybernetic implants.

As to the "majority" that just don't use PCs? Boy, do you ever need to meet new people!
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

No, I didn't miss your point; you are taking the approach of absolute size in your argument, which is the wrong way of thinking about it.

Right now, we have the projection technology to create moving visual displays on the sides of buildings. By your argument, you must be having an awful experience on your home PC because there is a display system out there that creates a frame 100x larger! Reducto ad absurdum.

There is also a mobile device just hitting the market that puts you totally inside the game world, making it possible (among other things) to create the impression of being inside a full scale movie theatre.

What's important is not screen size as much as effective field of view. If you are using a static desktop monitor, yes, screen size will be more important than a hand held device equipped with accelerometers.
    So, my preference and taste is "wrong" ?
    Um.. whateva, lol

I really enjoy playing games on my static 30" monitor. The experience is in no way diminished by the fact that I could be playing on a 40" monitor, or even on the side of a building (lmao). The amount of game world I can see and the resolution that I'm viewing it at is perfect for the purpose. If you find my motivations "absurd", that's your problem.

I don't know which "mobile device" you are referring to that supposedly "puts you totally inside the game world". And this device is a smartphone ? The topic is specifically about smartphones as gaming devices, is it not ? All I can imagine is some type of VR kit like the Oculus. But due to processing and power needs, all the current VR devices are firmly tethered to PC's.

What on earth has an accelerometer got to do with "effective field of view" ? Are you trying to say that wearing a blindfold with 2 tiny holes in it is just as effective as unimpaired vision, as long as you constantly move your head around very fast ?
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I don't think the technological hurdles would be as extreme as some of you portray. Earlier in the thread, I alluded to a "holographic 19" screen" projected by a device. We see examples of this in movies, as Tony Stark's/Avenger's "floating in air" HUDs, and the laser tech for these types of applications is literally right around the corner.

This argument by which I'm most compelled is the heat issue. This is the reason we don't yet have "contacts" as "google glass", and for direct retina contact, this technology is still far away. Certainly, advances in metamaterials will graduate to better energy insulation of all kinds, but an important consideration may well be, in the near future, we might have options other than "cooling the solid state components".

Advancements are also imminent in  "chemical computers" and "molecular logic gates", so to make it not so unreasonable a device the size of a modern cell phone could not only perform a significant number of calculations per second but also store terabytes of data. This, of course is aside from more distant technologies of "quantum computers", which may be 70 to 100 years off, or actual artificial biologics, literally hand-held artificial brains, likely more distant than that.

But more to the point, if gaming, more complicated than candy crush and platformers, was more easily accessible for a smaller device, I really do think more people would be involved. To say otherwise begs the question of why the vocal minority are so interested in it anyway.

Finally, to address a point raised by a couple, yes, indeed I get out and meet people, and yes, I will tell you, people who do computer applications more grand than can be performed on a smartphone are, truly, not the majority of the populace, as a matter of fact, far from it. It may seem this way because of your personal vantage point, but, to wit, it's quite likely, for example, discussion participants here or other such gaming/computing forums are not run-of-the-mill "commoners", but enthusiasts, one in one hundred at best.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Lot of money to be made from bored people sitting there looking at their phones.  Candy Crush taught us that lesson by making $1.33 billion in 2014 alone.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    filmoret said:
    Lot of money to be made from bored people sitting there looking at their phones.  Candy Crush taught us that lesson by making $1.33 billion in 2014 alone.
    Yes, and Activision is in the process of acquiring King.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Adjuvant1 said:

discussion participants here or other such gaming/computing forums are not run-of-the-mill "commoners", but enthusiasts, one in one hundred at best.
    Lol. You're the one talking about an enthusiast pursuit, playing mmorpgs, being revitalized by commoner devices, smartphones. The field of view issue alone makes that a stillborn proposition without even getting into power requirements that will force those devices that are only notable really for their portability, need to attach themselves to a wall plug semi-permanently to be able to function for any length of time with the high demands placed on it by an mmorpg.

And just like with lap-tops that spend all their time plugged in, the inevitable idea will pop-up: "WTF am I doing using this thing like a desktop PC when I could be using a desktop PC?"
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I personally have no interest in a mmorpg on a phone. Love my ultrawide monitor!