Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ya think there is/will be a Game?

Comments

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    $10,000 for an ingame ship....wow. You all haven't figured this out yet eh?

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Maybe, i think parts of the game will be released, i am just not all that sure that it will ever release as a full game, only time will tell, i half expect we will still be discussing this in 5 years time.
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited December 2015
    Brenics said:
    This poll is a little late. CR changed the TOS that says there is a game which means no more refunds. You guys tend to forget that part don't you!
    Just like you seem to forget that most games do not offer any refunds at any time and if you do charge backs you get banned if its an online game.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Yes.  It will not be what it's been sold as, it will be very late, and people will wonder how it managed to hornswoggle so many folks.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I hope CIG takes enough time to finish the game with all the promised features. IMHO they should NOT put out a half finished game under pressure from those with a lack of patience and understanding for the scope of such a project. Personally i do not care if it comes out 2016, 2017 or 2018 - i care about SC being a milestone of the genre. 

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited December 2015
    I believe there will be a game.
    But it will not be the second coming, pc-saving, life-defining, all singing, all dancing experience that certain members of the community and CIG would like you to believe.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I think it'll be heavily delayed but eventually there will be a game.
    I do however think that SQ42 will be cliche-ridden, cinematic-heavy with shallow gameplay and that the PU will be a half-baked experience.
    The way they're going with the FPS gameplay I'd rather they let Star Marine die and instead try and fix the PU part of the game.

..Cake..

Minsc said:

I don't get where people keep describing him as this arrogant asshole. All evidence points to him being a pretty decent dude.
    You mean the part where he thinks he's saving PC gaming?
    Or the part that he describes every feature of his game as "never been done before" ?

Have you seen the guy sit at a computer and play a computer game? He's completely oblivious to what modern PC gaming even means.. he's still stuck in the Wing Commander 1&2 era. I bet he thinks consoles are evil or something :pleased: 

..Cake..

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    There is and will be a game... This is a game, for example:

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Of course there will be a game... there already is some kind of game. Calling it scam or vaporware is plain stupid, narrow-minded or shows some heavy negative thinking/hatred in my opinion. 

Will it be the genre defining game that justifies the hype? I don't know as does anyone here. But I hope it will be damn good.

If not that's OK... lesson learned but I already had a hell of a ride with ups and downs with the content provided by CIG or even the user created content or forum topics all around the web. 

That there is a lot of passion on every side (be it pro or contra) surrounding this project is pretty obvious. No one can deny that. 
    edited December 2015
    Calling it scam or vaporware is plain stupid, narrow-minded or shows some heavy negative thinking/hatred in my opinion. 

I disagree. Thinking with reason/logic is far to be stupid or hate. That been said reason/logic can be applied to define this venture as some sort of scam, some level of scam and vaporware (which in the 2nd case, is a temporary condition and hardly could be considered definitive for any game - many games considered as vaporware for years actually ended released and there is no "public" release for Star Citizen yet, the nature of their contract still is under the circumstances of "played by investors", even that you are not an investor getting profit from the venture, and all know, called vaporware games, got alphas/betas and were played by their investors - in other words, these conditions exists in the SC scenario right now and probably for a lot longer, besides already delayed for more than an year and still with a foundation to be built).

Assuming this, right now as zero scam/vaporware possibility is plain stupid, narrow-minded and blindness, actually.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    jcrg99 said:
    Calling it scam or vaporware is plain stupid, narrow-minded or shows some heavy negative thinking/hatred in my opinion. 

I disagree. Thinking with reason/logic is far to be stupid or hate. That been said reason/logic can be applied to define this venture as some sort of scam, some level of scam and vaporware (which in the 2nd case, is a temporary condition and hardly could be considered definitive for any game - many games considered as vaporware for years actually ended released and there is no "public" release for Star Citizen yet, the nature of their contract still is under the circumstances of "played by investors", even that you are not an investor getting profit from the venture, and all know, called vaporware games, got alphas/betas and were played by their investors - in other words, these conditions exists in the SC scenario right now and probably for a lot longer, besides already delayed for more than an year and still with a foundation to be built).

Assuming this, right now as zero scam/vaporware possibility is plain stupid, narrow-minded and blindness, actually.
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone write so much and make so little sense, lol
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    edited December 2015
    I believe there will be a game.
    But it will not be the second coming, pc-saving, life-defining, all singing, all dancing experience that certain members of the community and CIG would like you to believe.
    It's funny, because from everything I read from the cheerleaders, that's exactly what it will be. Every sci fi fantasy bought to life and realized. They speak of it with almost religious reverence. And don't even think about questioning it, lest hordes descend from all quarters to attack you.

And on the other side it's the greatest scam in history.

I'm glad I don't care. I'm gonna be playing real games that actually exist. Or at least buying them on steam sales and never playing them. FML.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Yes, there will be a game.  Anyone thinking that they are not making a game at this point are deluding themselves.

Now the challenge is whether they can make all these separate modules and then glue them together as seamlessly as they think they can.  

The additional challenge is whether they can make a compelling and fun shooter out of Star Marine.  I mean companies have devoted several years to making new and unique shooters such as Titanfall, and even though Titanfall was seriously good, it dried up quick.  There's simply no competition with Call of Duty, Battlefield, CS or the other popular shooters.  Very very few of those people are gonna drop their game and come play Star Marine, so I'm not sure which crowd they're trying to attract with this module.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Of course there will be a game... there already is some kind of game. Calling it scam or vaporware is plain stupid, narrow-minded or shows some heavy negative thinking/hatred in my opinion. 

Will it be the genre defining game that justifies the hype? I don't know as does anyone here. But I hope it will be damn good.

If not that's OK... lesson learned but I already had a hell of a ride with ups and downs with the content provided by CIG or even the user created content or forum topics all around the web. 

That there is a lot of passion on every side (be it pro or contra) surrounding this project is pretty obvious. No one can deny that. 
    If what has been released cost them 15 million to make, and they have raised 105 million...err sold 100 million dollars worth of jpegs, how is that NOT a scam?

Even organized charities (the biggest scams on the planet) must spend a certain amount of money on actual charity, and not just use the money to (over) pay its administrators.

Should be the same with these start ups and kickstarter projects. I am sure once this house of cards collapses and if anyone gets a look at the books it will register with people some where and some regulations might take place. And I am not a guy that likes to see regulations put in place but with so many predators out there and this example of complete lack of self control by people it might be necessary.

The 'its my money and I will spend it how I want' isnt a valid excuse as seen by all the other regulations attached to other 'addictive' vices.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    rodarin said:
    ... I am sure once this house of cards collapses and if anyone gets a look at the books it will register with people some where ...
    So, based on rumour and hearsay (and your "feeling"), you are absolutely convinced that CIG is guilty of criminal activities. No shadow of a doubt...

No need for a trial or jury, lol, SC has already been found guilty in the court of popular opinion. All that remains is carrying out the sentence.

Luckily the USA is still subject to the rule of law, and there won't be any hangin's until due process has run it's course. And there's no signs of that "due process of law" even being initiated.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    FPS, dog fighting, racing, etc. are already playable. It's already a game that ppl dedicate a lot of time to playing. 

edited December 2015
    rodarin said:
    ... I am sure once this house of cards collapses and if anyone gets a look at the books it will register with people some where ...
    So, based on rumour and hearsay (and your "feeling"), you are absolutely convinced that CIG is guilty of criminal activities.

Consumer fraud is hardly considered as a "criminal activity". Many companies do that and stay on business. Just pay fines if facing a court.

But your reply was the perfect example of how the fans sensationalize statements made, to twist what was said and sound like if CIG is doing everything right and ok and people have no proof of they committing "crimes". But nobody is accusing them to commit crimes. Nobody is claiming that they have no intention of delivering anything. People always have been just saying that they are defrauding consumers, lying to people, in many occasions (not always) for money.

While the guy is referring to consumer fraud, you are referring to criminal activities that would require another sort of proof/evidence, which indeed, are today just rumor. But for the wrong doings like consumer fraud, this is not a rumor, this is a fact, easily proven and public record.

Even if acting in good faith, for the greater good, in their perspective, they scammed some people while exploiting the addiction of others (the second part can't be claimed as illegal, but tells you a lot about the gap of their speech vs. their actions and if they are reliable).

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited December 2015
    rodarin said:
    So, based on rumour and hearsay (and your "feeling"), you are absolutely convinced that CIG is guilty of criminal activities. No shadow of a doubt...

No need for a trial or jury, lol, SC has already been found guilty in the court of popular opinion. All that remains is carrying out the sentence.

Luckily the USA is still subject to the rule of law, and there won't be any hangin's until due process has run it's course. And there's no signs of that "due process of law" even being initiated.

BWWAAAHAAAHAAA the true sign of the desperate with no argument to over exaggerate something someone said. Criminal and immoral are two different things. Because I dont think there are any laws specifically about this situation he could take whatever is left now and not do anything else.

Thats the beauty of 'pledging' versus sales I guess, and the irony of the fans citing it as a reason why its not a P2W game.

They are also not JUST in the US, (a reason for that I am sure) theyre in 2 (maybe 3)separate jurisdictions. I will let the REAL lawyers figure out any legal remedies if it ever comes to that.

I am just saying that IF they did 'raise' and continue to 'raise' that type of money the results had better be something special. Before SWOTOR and ESO anything over 100 million was HUGE money for an actual DEVELOPER to make a game. Swotor and ESO broke the mold but mostly because of voice acting (thats why CR HAD to have it to justify the money) but if you look at some MAJOR games to come out the past few years and their budgets they all pale in comparison to what SC has raked in. And SC was (originally) sold as an 'indie' project where money was worth x amount more to them than to a 'regular' developer. So that 100 million by their own sales pitch is 'worth' much more than 100 million in 'developmental' dollars.

I dont go by rumor and hearsay, read my posts. I go by what I can see what has been said and what has been delivered. Hearsay and promises go BOTH ways, its so funny and ironic that the fanboys believe every thing coming out of CRs mouth with ZERO delivery, yet anything that they deem 'unsubstantiated' is meaningless.

Do a Ben Franklin list, take EVERYTHING CR has said since day one, and write it down. THEN start checking off things that have come to fruition. You can even eliminate deadlines and missed dates, just if he said he would deliver it regardless of when, IF it was delivered it counts as a  delivery. People would be depressed if they did that though.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    rodarin said:
    rodarin said:

...ESO .
    I can not believe someone is actually using ESO as an example of something that is not a garbage game that is a total rip off of an existing IP

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Did CIG ever act on their threat of legal action against The Escapist? They clearly threatened legal action if the article wasn't retracted.... and the article wasn't retracted, but there has been no legal action.  
    Did CIG ever act on their threat of legal action against The Escapist? They clearly threatened legal action if the article wasn't retracted.... and the article wasn't retracted, but there has been no legal action.  
    lol no, it was just an empty threat by Ortwyn.

..Cake..

edited December 2015
    sgel said:
    This entire debacle concerns me; I find it very revealing.

That this was not handled by an outside firm of lawyers suggests overreaching, or at least a lack of understanding of the limits of their capabilities (yes I know the Chairman is a lawyer by training, which makes his stupidity all the more profound- he should know better!) 

That the legal threat was ever made without any intention to follow through (or likelihood of winning if they chose to) suggests a huge excess of ego, and a distinct lack of foresight or forward planning i.e. if you are shown not to follow through on your threats then you are opening yourself up to a free-for-all.

All these traits are becoming increasingly apparent in the entire development process.

There will be a game; but I think there is a huge glut of optimism surrounding what that game will be.   
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    sgel said:
    Or none of the participating parties speak about it in public.

Or there was a settlement with a non-disclosure agreement. 

Have fun