Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan Still going

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    H0urg1ass said:
    I've never understood why Tortage was regarded so highly and people quit afterwards.  There's really so many good leveling zones with so much fun stuff to do.
    Historical reasons I guess, Tortage is awesome and at launch the following three zones (based on origin) seemed less finished, and after that... even less. Most people, whether they left after launch (and don't know about the upgrades during the years), or playing still today, have nostalgic feelings about Tortage. Rightfully so, it's a really good intro area.

Agree with the list, AoK is my favourite dungeon too.
    KP - I hold your cock handler, and raise it with the Little Farmer in the Field :wink: well-written NPCs indeed. OT is a massive city, and now it has a race track too :wink: .
    TR, and the tall jumps from the top of PC... The EM... Conall's Valley with the very first open-world bosses (and the death-cries of newbies jumping on them solo :lol: ), Kheshatta with the Onyx Chambers... game has lots of really good zones.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    A great game, the upper mid level questing issues were a real problem, apart from that (and I think they got resolved) would heartily recommend it.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    While you're at it, give Ragnarok Online a go (not RO2). A fraction of the download and way more content.....since we're talking about old games lol
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Up to tortage the game is very good, afterwards it goes downhill but still i enjoyed my short stay in AoC it's a shame i got to play it so late. Maybe if i had the chance to start it while it was fresh i'd play it for couple of years. They gotta do AoC2 tbh with newer graphics and features in addition to the current. there is potential imo.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Still one of my favourite MMOs ever. I loved the dark, gritty setting and for once...low fantasy! Played the hell out of it at launch and returned quite regularly afterwards. Some really groundbreaking features in the game, like the melee combat and the spellweaving.

But the ROTGS lockout is a deal breaker for me. I couldn't believe I was stuck at the gates unless I subbed, and therefore couldn't access content I paid for. I have loads still to do in Khitai and would love to pick up where I left off.

Vonatar said:

But the ROTGS lockout is a deal breaker for me. I couldn't believe I was stuck at the gates unless I subbed, and therefore couldn't access content I paid for. I have loads still to do in Khitai and would love to pick up where I left off.

Unfortunately still no news about that since the hints a few months ago (that they will revamp the subscription, including Khitai access to those who owns the expansion).
    Actually not only about this detail, no news about the whole game either. Since January all the posted news covered either Exile or the tabletop Conan rpg. TSW's sub revamp was hinted later, and still, it's in the game already... maybe Conan's sub / f2p model is more difficult. (<- /sarcasm :lol: )
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Po_gg said:
    Vonatar said:

Unfortunately still no news about that since the hints a few months ago (that they will revamp the subscription, including Khitai access to those who owns the expansion).
    Actually not only about this detail, no news about the whole game either. Since January all the posted news covered either Exile or the tabletop Conan rpg. TSW's sub revamp was hinted later, and still, it's in the game already... maybe Conan's sub / f2p model is more difficult. (<- /sarcasm :lol: )
    As much as I love this game, I had to let my sub drop and uninstalled it a couple of weeks ago.  When Joel Bylos left to work on the Conan standalone game, and they didn't even appoint a new game director, I figured things were gonna go downhill from there.  Now we've gone from a once-a-month letter that has so little content in it that I could write in 20 minutes on the back of a napkin while eating lunch, to zero information at all.  

Also, the forums are hamfistedly moderated by that Anzu character who has probably caused as many sub cancellations with his incredibly unprofessional behavior as any other reason.  I mean there are topics on the front page that haven't had a post to them in over a month.  You don't have to go back more than two pages to find posts from last year, that's how dead the forums are, and he moderates the 10 people still talking on them like the whole world's watching.

In fact, he was the last straw.  I got on the forums and asked a simple, non trolling, non flaming question about the future of the game and he moderated it completely out with a "No." in big red letters.  Oh really?  No?  You're gonna take a five year subscriber and drop a "No." moderation on a question in the forums?  How about "No, I'm not subbing to your game anymore while you still have a job there?  How about that no?"
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Is there still people playing this game? The last time I logged in was in 2010, I owned ROTG and I was always interested in going back but every time I heard about it I heard the game was dead. So I just kind of never tried it again. Is it still active?
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    this company in general has been a absolute failure for years. AO was like the little red headed step child of EQ and DAOC or AC and it was never widely popular and a buggy mess. AOC same exact thing a boring game that was buggy and unfinished past tortage losing most of their subscribers way before bugs were fixed and the game expanded on. Even TSW had probably the worst looking combat Ive ever seen in a game in a long time. The animations were probably the most amateurish and uninspiring Ive played and the cluster-f** of skills was just confusing. Every major project this company released IMO has been a failure on a major level except to just get them by enough to pay some of their bills or build a new game, nothing more. I expect the new Conan survival game to do about the same with them trying to cash in late on the ark/7 days to die hype train. 
    Is there still people playing this game? The last time I logged in was in 2010, I owned ROTG and I was always interested in going back but every time I heard about it I heard the game was dead. So I just kind of never tried it again. Is it still active?
    Lot of stuff happened since 2010, mainly servers were merged based on ruleset. So, is it active, depends. If you were on a PvE server then your characters ended up on Crom, which is a nice active server. If however you were on PvP, and ended up on Fury... well, pvp is quite dormant and empty as I've heard (since I wasn't on Fury since years, can't say for sure from personal experience).
    Godslayer, owned or not, currently only available if you subscribe. It's a lame restriction, they hinted a few months ago they're planning a sub model revisit, and they will look at this restriction specifically, but no words about it since. So if you log back now (you can, game is f2p), you can't go into Khitai and don't get AA points either.

As for activity with examples, according to LazyPeon's video there are people in the lowbie area too... In a thread not long ago about streamers @blueturtle13 mentioned Peon, I liked / laughed on his LotRO video before, and well, followed by recent a forum post (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?193363-The-Lazy-Peon-reviews-Age-of-Conan ) I just watched his AoC one, hilarious :lol:
    There's a couple good points with a newcomers eyes, like the lava, I don't think I've ever died in it, but hey, I used to play sane characters who don't jumpuuh into lava... Same for the climbing, haven't noticed it so far but it really isn't that common in MMOs. Not sure why, climbing is cool. TSW has it too.

But the rest is like a fail compilation about how to be clueless in a game :wink:
    Not reading anything, neither quest text / NPC convo (he simply just follows the arrows and then complaining about bugged quests), nor the game's help tooltips ("Im sure these 5 things here have something to do with combat, I'm not sure what though"). Forgetting the classes ("What is that? maybe is a pet?" and later "the summoner is so cool"- about necromancers, and "Why is a demon here? dude, my immersion!" - well, what did you expect if there's a class called demonologist?), not reading even zone names ("looks like an ancient Cimmerian temple of some kind" - well, nope. Place called the Acheronian Ruins for a reason).

Then there are the funny things, "why does my stealth not F-ing work" - in broad daylight, without any points put on it... Or forgetting the climb option and complaining about fighting through the mobs instead of simply climbing down to Genzio. Or the complaints about the too small inventory, instead of slotting in a bigger bag.
    At least he did a chest tattoo at the character creation, so it's not really a NSFW video when he realizes he can go topless :lol:

Best part was the combat: oh i see, i think these things here are combos! - well done, mate, only took you a couple hours and 8 levels to notice one of the main features of AoC... but at least he likes the combo system.
    Fatalities, a.k.a. slow-mo: "i need to figure out how to make slow-mo"  then "i wish i knew how to make this fatality happen" and later "nice, 3 fatalities in a row, maybe it's because of using combos?" - finally, gratz man, here grab a cookie (with a Sin, which is the fatality expert class...)

A very entertaining video indeed, made my morning. I'm in TSW currently, but now I feel the need to roll a Sin and play through Tortage again :wink: 
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    edited March 2016
    So, basically one guy likes a shitty games.

Mortal online and Star trek online need your efforts dude.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    edited April 2016
    Absolutely. Just play on Crom - its by far the most populated server.
    I recently returned from several years break and surprised how much I am enjoying the game. I even searched for more materials about Conan universe.
  • CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I don't expect it to be around much longer.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    That's the same thing that was said in 2011. Yet, here we are.
    edited April 2016
    fodell54 said:
    That's the same thing that was said in 2011. Yet, here we are.
    Can't wait the annual octa thread, now that anniversary will come in a few weeks :wink:
  • morialamoriala Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I used to love the fatalities but the last time i played i couldn't make anyone's head fall off. Do they still do that?
    Visite Agen Bola Online

Yes they do!
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    OhhPaigey said:
    I couldn't get into this game, the game felt really odd, and old.
    Same...but I always try the game again whenever I watch a Schwarzenegger Conan/Red Sonja movie on the tv, and somehow always get put off by this game.
    Imho, good idea, poor executed.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Thinking of firing up old Age of Conan and trying it out again with the expansions. It's probably a lot better now days. :)
  • LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268
    I used to love the fatalities but the last time i played i couldn't make anyone's head fall off. Do they still do that?
    Visite Agen Bola Online

As I recall the fatalities are different with different weapons. It may be the weapon you are using won't lop off heads. For instance if you are using an axe try using a sword instead. Or if you are using a sword try using a bigger one! The sword I used would lop off both arms then finish him with a climatic head lop, lol. I am sure that fatality is still in the game. The last thing Funcom would do is edit out great fatalities!

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    And then there's this! :)

Funcom is inviting players to check into Age of Conan to help celebrate the eighth anniversary of the game's launch. As part of the anniversary fete, players will be able to claim a free wicked looking lizard called a Zingaran Swamp Beast.

Eight years ago, Age of Conan was unleashed upon the world. We sincerely thank everybody who made our 8th Grand Anniversary possible! Here’s to another amazing year, and many more to come! 

Read more about the other celebratory events and specials by visiting the Age of Conan site.

http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/view/news/read/39838/Age-of-Conan-Eighth-Anniversary-Celebrated-with-Free-Pet.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I quit when they made me change my name from Lez Bow to Tom Boy.. I was pretty sad about that... also I didn't want to go through the PVE needed for the next tier of the next twink. I probably would have but the next FFA PVP server launch in a different game took me in. I try to catch every launch in search of my next home.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    I quit when they made me change my name from Lez Bow to Tom Boy.. I was pretty sad about that... also I didn't want to go through the PVE needed for the next tier of the next twink. I probably would have but the next FFA PVP server launch in a different game took me in. I try to catch every launch in search of my next home.
    Makes a character with a completely inappropriate name and complains that the name was changed. Posts like this are always confusing. Really what was the thought process when you named that character? What can I name this character that will piss people off?

In my opinion people who make childish discussions like this should get banned instead of allowed to change their name.  
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    fodell54 said:
    Makes a character with a completely inappropriate name and complains that the name was changed. Posts like this are always confusing. Really what was the thought process when you named that character? What can I name this character that will piss people off?

In my opinion people who make childish discussions like this should get banned instead of allowed to change their name.  
    It was so fun to RP though and I stayed in character!!! I was a man hater and went around killing all of them, trying to protect the girls.. some very good times were had!!

Oh man she was soooOOoo funny looking!!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I really liked that starter town.  It felt like a roller coaster ride until you left Tortage, then it felt like they let you off the ride and into the park and told us to just find stuff to do on your own.  I still fire it up about once a year.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    SBFord said:
    And then there's this! :)

Funcom is inviting players to check into Age of Conan to help celebrate the eighth anniversary of the game's launch. As part of the anniversary fete, players will be able to claim a free wicked looking lizard called a Zingaran Swamp Beast.

Eight years ago, Age of Conan was unleashed upon the world. We sincerely thank everybody who made our 8th Grand Anniversary possible! Here’s to another amazing year, and many more to come! 

Read more about the other celebratory events and specials by visiting the Age of Conan site.

http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/view/news/read/39838/Age-of-Conan-Eighth-Anniversary-Celebrated-with-Free-Pet.html
    Sweet I can bring my pet into the expansion areas I bought...oh wait they want me to pay again to access the content I already bought...No thanks